[FM21] Captaincy having negative affect on good players

i seem to have a captain curse in my save. every player i choose as captain has dropped performance significantly. they ahve all had high leadership ratings 15+ ang have enjoys big matches etc but cant seem to cut it as captain. problem is my other choices are much lower in leadership stat.

also my current VC is a realist and seems to struggle to stay motived. it could that the press think we are overachieving and our odds before every game is against us. (only 2nd season in PM) though weve managed to finish mid table both seasons have had really bad losing streaks against the bigger teams but managed to win/draw enough to keep out of relegation battle with one or two surprise wins along the way. is realist a bad personality type for captian?

also dont seem to be able to really change personality of player s even mentoring for long tie. thought they seem to learn special moves quite often from the group.

In my opinion, a Realist as captain is not a good choice as they have very poor sportsmanship and usually poor temperament with almost no other requirements to be labelled a Realist.   Realists are hard players to deal with, which can be seen if you've ever tried criticizing them and I consider them to be a high maintenance personality that I try to avoid whenever possible so I wouldn't want that type of player being influential in my squad and definitely not as captain. 

Your staff will nearly always solely use a player's leadership stat to choose your captain but I find it essential that they have a great personality and I have no problems choosing a player with a lower leadership stat as captain if he has a great personality.   This player is almost always going to take the highest spot in the squad hierarchy soon after gaining the captain's armband so, in addition to his normal captain duties, he is going to have a massive influence over the squad's overall personality which makes it imperative that he is a great role model for the rest of the squad.  The same applies to the vice-captain also.