I'm using a custom database (Holme Grown) on the latest update. I'm in Tier 7, part-time contracts.

My LB was on his last year and wanted to leave unless I improved the youth players.  Around the last game of the season I successfully completed the promise  and got the message that he was happy to stay. I immediately gave him a new contract so he wouldn't leave June 30. He demanded I play him at his preferred position, LB (full back).  I accepted and changed my tactic to avoid accidentally playing him out of position next season.  I then reupped the contract on my star CB.  He also wanted to play at his preferred position, CB (center back). Done.

A few days later everyone went home for the summer.  The day before everyone returned for preseason they both informed me that I have failed to fulfill my promise to play them in their preferred positions and now they want out.  How is the promise broken? There were literally no games played over the summer.

I understand that the "play in position" has a timer attached to it, but the timer shouldn't be active during the off-season.   I couldn't renew he contract in August  because I had to do it in June before the contract expired and now I've broken a promise that I had no control over.

Is this a bug or deliberate design?