Geometria - a Zdenek Zeman inspired philosophy and style of play.

Written for my website at jamiektaylor - Football Manager.

In recent editions of Football Manager, I have managed some excellent saves in Germany, Norway, France, and Denmark but I have never really had the urge to venture into Italian football.

Earlier yesterday, I was sat at my desk working when I came up with an idea for a new series on my blog. It was an overwhelming feeling that now would be a perfect time to head across to Italy and take charge of a team I have been waiting for the right time to manage in a save.

For this I am going to use Delfino Pescara 1936, or Pescara for short. The Dolphins have an undistinguished history within Italian football to date, but we are going to look to change that.

The club has managed to rebuild itself and have brought through national talents such as Marco Verratti and offered loan options to develop Ciro Immobile and Lorenzo Insigne. A trio that was pivotal in bringing Pescara back to the Serie A under Zdeněk Zeman.

More on Zdeněk Zeman

Zeman was a firm believer in the tactical philosophy of the Dutch Totaal Voetbal and often played with a 4-3-3 system during his tenure at Pescara. The basis for his approach was based on quick attacking play, utilising the offside trap and zonal marking. Zeman’s style was aggressive in nature and as such, it would score a vast number of goals. It would however also concede them as a result, therefore the plan was simple. Outscore the opposition and you will win.

Zeman’s training schedules would focus primarily on fitness, footballing intelligence and high pressing. Notable aspects of the Zeman style were his side playing with a high defensive line and utilising the offside trap with a high-pressing, short-passing style. Which would combine one-twos with regular switches of play.

It is an extremely versatile and effective system, and I am going to try and implement this into my long-term Pescara save. Not only that I am going to incorporate the use of younger players to provide that extra explosiveness of younger, fresher legs in the attacking phase.

• geometria

With this form of football, our side will be taking a high-risk approach when playing the ball in more advanced areas of the pitch. Switching play, and creating pockets of space for our offensive players to penetrate and create chances. When out of possession our side will look to restrict space where possible, and using our high press look to win back the ball as soon as possible, by forcing mistakes from our opponents.

We will be using a short passing game and look to keep possession by cycling it around. We will be switching play and generally playing one-two’s where possible to attempt to draw the opposition out of position before launching counter-attacking thrusts via the flanks.

The Geometria Formation

geometria

For this to work, we are going to set some ground rules for the sort of players we are going to be recruiting as part of this system. Our players are going to need exceptionally good football intelligence. A good ability to keep the ball under control and movement off the ball but also defensively. Whilst I appreciate not all players will have all these attributes, for the sort of budget I have at my disposal. There will need to be a large degree of these criteria that they meet.

Geometria Philosophy

Anticipation, Decisions, Teamwork will be a must-have for each position within our formation. I will now break down the different criteria I am going to be looking for based on position within our playing system.

Sweeper Keeper – I am looking for a keeper who is good at stopping shots. Must be able to read the game and be able to anticipate likely threats on goal, should the opposition breakthrough the offside trap. His distribution will be key in recycling possession and must be able to control the ball well as a result. Stats requirements: Anticipation, Agility, Pace, One On Ones, Rushing Out and Passing.

Defence

Wing Backs – Our wingbacks will be offensive and will be our wide outlet. They will look to overlap the more advanced Inverted Winger and Inside Forward as those two will look to move inside into the half-space. We require quick, hard-working wingbacks with a decent crossing ability. Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Pace, Anticipation, Decisions, Teamwork and Off The Ball are the key stats I am looking for here.

Centre Defender – Good positioning, defensively strong with a good heading ability. They will need to be able to mark well, be proficient at tackling and marking and have good pace numbers. Anticipation, Decisions, Positioning, Teamwork, Tackling, Pace, Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Heading, Marking, Jumping Reach, and Technique.

Ball-Playing Defender  Same as the above but would also be looking for good numbers in First Touch and Passing ability and Vision.

Midfield

Half-Back – I will be looking for Anticipation, Decisions, Positioning and Teamwork as well as Tackling for this position.

Carrilero – These two will be covering the lateral areas of the pitch and will help in switching play and keeping possession. For these positions I want Anticipation, Decisions, Positioning, Teamwork, Passing and Technique and also Off The Ball and most importantly a high Work Rate attribute.

Inside Forward – Good creative abilities are a must for this position as is the ability to finish, off the ball movement with good stamina and pace. The stats I am looking for are. Anticipation, Decisions, Flair, Teamwork, Vision, First Touch, Passing, Off The Ball. With Finishing, Acceleration, Pace and Stamina also accounted for.

Inverted Winger – same as Inside Forward.

Attack

Complete Forward – He must be hard-working, mobile, and intelligent first and foremost. Not only that but is also quick, strong, and accurate finishing with a good heading ability. Off The Ball movement will be key and an ability to hold up the ball. Anticipation, Decisions, Off The Ball, Finishing, Teamwork, Heading, Strength, Acceleration, Pace will be the main areas of focus.

With this formation, we have ten forward movement partnerships within it. Perfect symmetry and counterbalancing amongst our defence and midfield partnerships. Which should provide an equal amount of cover in the defensive phase as it would our attacking phase.

I am going to be tweaking the various instructions as we go along. Essentially it will be based on an Attacking mentality with Much Shorter Passing and a Dribble Less instruction. So my players will look to retain and pass the ball around rather than run with the ball. This will also help nerf the Dribble More PI on the wide players and striker.

We will look to use the offside trap. A higher defensive line and will work the ball into the box using a lower tempo in possession, to begin with. Which should help lower the overall risk which will help with balancing things out.

I hope you have enjoyed this piece today. Looking at the Pescara squad I have a lot of work to do to get it where I need it to be so I better be off…

Very nice! This setup so far mostly resembles the setup I use and I love the Carrilero as a role. Looking forward to the rest of this.