Help with Minor Tweaks for 442

Trying to work out a few things with my 442 . For the most part its playing the way I want. DLP(s) drops deep and is either spraying the ball wide or trying to hit one of the forwards who then chokes so hard on a 1v1 haha. Most of my goals seem to come on the counter attack - which I'm okay with for now. 

I'm struggling to identify when the other team is sitting back and how i can build up if that splitting pass isn't available. What piece of analysis can I look at to help determine their depth? (I've been watching the games on extended highlights)

I havent figured out how to get great production out of my wide players. the ML I have playing like an IW and it seems to be working okay (good dribbling / technicals / flair) the RM has been kind of a mess (pacey, but cant cross or shoot or pass). 

I havent figured out what role to pair in the CM - playing curtis jones there now , trying mezzala (hoping for a bit of creativity / playmaking but not a designated playmaker role). He seems to get lost in the game (had 7 touches in a half). The other cms that rotate through there are more b2b types and have been playing CM(s). 

The other issue I'm trying to figure out - how to win back possession against a 3 man midfield when they just pass amongst themselves. Have tried the dlf/cf (tinkering still between those 2 roles) marking the CDM. Some games end up 30/70 possession, which I think is a combo of being overrun in the midfield and then winning the ball and instantly trying to target one lone forward. 

So I'm not sure what tweaks I should make as plan B when the direct passes aren't working.

Thanks!

Screenshot (14).png

I've done more saves with Preston in the last 2/3 years than you could imagine and never gone with 442 so it's interesting to see this.

What stands out to me initially is that you don't really have a defined style of play. You have higher tempo but that's kinda it, if you want to play on the counter more, get some more direct passes going, maybe whack "get stuck in" on, it'd suit Ben Pearson anyway :lol:

The Mez(A) has no place in a two man midfield unless you are a top, top side. I'd recommend going with CM(s) or BBM. 

I think you should play with an Attack duty on the right flank to offer Seani Maguire some support when he comes deep looking for the ball, but I would definitely take him off CF(s).  The CF is for extremely well rounded players and for me Seani lacks the technical and physical ability to really pull off the role. I would experiment with DLF(s) and DLF(a), as the attack duty may offer Ennis some more support in terms of direct transitions.

Having an attack duty on the flanks may also work well with your "Play Wider" TI as it'll help you to stretch and put further pressure on the opposition, as well as offering a wide outler for a direct transition.

However in my totally honest opinion, 442 is not a good fit for Preston and you should explore 433, 4411, 4231, etc. Although I'm working on the assumption that 442 is your favourite formation :)

Edited by LHurlz

Good points... thanks! 

I have Pearson (dlps) ticked to more direct - since hes the only one i really trust to try and pass the ball more than 10 feet. In general I want to play on the counter less - that just seems to be the plays that result in attempts for me. Would you play an AP in the other CM spot ever? CM(s) seems to be best suited for the current Preston guys, but I'm hoping to bring in more technical ability to the position eventually. 

I tried having the outside guys on attack and noticed my possession dropped like a stone - so I assumed they were running away from everyone and there was no option left for anyone other than to smash it long and hope.  Their crossing lets me down. I mostly want them occupy wide space and open a channel for the forwards to run off the CB and then the FB is occupied with the wide player. Can I just leave it at normal width if thats my goal? The LM ocassionally gets the ball and is able to play a through ball for the forward to run onto (which is nice when it works). 

Agreed on DLF(s) - usually have him on that - seems like he wanders into the weirdest spaces when I just want him to occupy the CB so Ennis can run in behind. 

In past iterations of FM I havent been able to get the solo striker to work with a 433. Always turned into crosses that never connected. Have been dabbling with Harrop as AP(a/s) at AML when using the 433. Not sure if I'm understanding non central playmakers correctly.