Troubleshooting Tactics

I have played FM on and off for many years, and I have learnt a lot (not least thanks to this forum). However, I have always struggled with one thing: tweaking my tactics when it is not working as well as I'd like. I have (mostly) fumbled around with all the knobs and buttons until I've happened to stumble upon something that works. I always have a (relatively) clear picture in mind when I first create a tactic, but getting the rough idea in place, and getting it refined to the point where you can pretty much steam-roll the league, those are two very different matters, and it is where understanding what to tweak is vital.

In an attempt to formalize my fumbling and stumbling into something a little bit more coherent, I've decided to write down some simple suggestions on how to try to tweak your tactic based on what you see during matches. It is by no means complete, and a lot of it are just my guesses at this point, but with your help, we can maybe create something that helps players troubleshoot their tactics.

Troubleshooting Tactics

Conceded goal/good chance

Was it a counter-attack?

1) How did you loose possession?

Player errors:

If a player looses possession cheaply, try to determine if it is due to the player or the situation. 

Examples:

Poor first touch could be due to poor attribute values in "first touch" (obviously), "composure", "technique", "balance", etc.
AND/OR due to the player being put under heavy pressure.

Poor attempt at dribbling can be due to a player being instructed (or likes) to dribble even though he's bad at it
OR due to the player running out of passing options and seeing dribbling as his only option.

When you think you've find the likely cause, it is easier to figure out what to do about it. (More support around him, dropping back a little to avoid press, bypassing the press, changing the role, etc).

2) How did your defense deal with the counter-attack?
- Where there enough men behind the ball?
- Did the opposition have large areas of space free to attack into?
- Are the players staying back good at covering and steering off attacks?

Depending on what you find, you may want to have more players stay back, and/or change the formation of the players staying back, or perhaps tick counter-press to trigger attempts at staving off the counter altogether.

Was it open play against an organized defense?

Where did the opposition find space (time on the ball)?
1) Deep (in front of your midfield) - Look to push higher up
2) Between your lines - Either push defense up, or reduce the midfield press
3) Behind your lines - Either drop the team back, or increase the midfield press
4) On the flanks - Defend wider, or drop back and hope your defense can deal with the crosses

If it is consistently one specific player that they find space behind to exploit, look to change his role/duty, or find some other way to compensate for his defensive short-comings.

Was it a set-piece?

1) How did you concede the free-kick/penalty/corner? (See above.)
2) How is your defense set-up at set-pieces?

Not scoring goals

Are you on the back foot? (Defending deep, not being able to keep hold of the ball?)

Look to sort out the defense (see above), and see if you manage to play out of the opponents initial press after winning the ball. If not, maybe try increasing passing range or passing options around the player.

Do you have "enough" possession, but not creating anything with the possession?

Your players have time on the ball (deep), but are not making progress
- Try increasing mentality
- Try to have them probe the defense more by for example increasing passing range, tick be more creative, tick run at defense, or similar
- Look to see if there are any players in space that you are not engaging enough
- See if you can overload an area (for example one flank) to open up space in another area to exploit

Your players have pass the ball around in the final third (or thereabouts) but not creating quality chances
- Try decreasing the mentality to lure the defense out
- Look to see if there are any players in space that you are not engaging enough
- If it seems lethargic, increase tempo
- If it seems rushed, decrease tempo
- If they keep passing short in a small area of the pitch, increase passing range and/or push a player up in another (open) area to be an outlet for a switch in play

Do you create chances, but not converting the chances into goals?
- If the attacker snatches at the chances - lower the tempo and/or the mentality
- If the attacker takes his time but still misses - maybe drop the attacker until he is in better form

Edited by FabianJonsson