A Women's Touch

MarkTrevor

The cold Russian wind numbed her fingers as she stood, waiting for the ref to blow her whistle. This chance could be the last hope for the team to qualify for Euro 2009. As the ref moved the wall 10 yards back, she took three steps back. She jogged lightly on the spot to try and keep herself warm. The ref blew her whistle. She ran towards the ball but glancing ahead, she noticed the Russian number 9 charging towards her. She ran over the ball, almost colliding with the number 9. Telling the ref her problems, a yellow card was flashed to the Russian. For the second time, she took 3 steps back and again the ref blew her whistle. This time, she flew towards the ball and connected with it so powerfully it stung her toes. But the connection was beautiful. It rocketed beyond the outstretched fingertips of the Russian goalkeeper. Before the ball had hit the back of the net, Pauline Hamill was hugging Anna Signeul, the team manager. Pauline had surely given Scotland Ladies the victory and the path to Euro 2009 in Finland, hadn't she? It was 4-3 on aggregate to Scotland and 2-0 to the ladies on the night. But Russia needed just one more goal, and they would be on their way to Euro 2009, due to win 3-2 at Hampden a week ago. They piled forward, but there was no way through. The referee signalled an incredible seven minutes of stoppage time. These were to be the worst seven minutes of Pauline Hamill's life. The Russian's threw everything forward except the kitchen sink. The number 3 of Russia sprinted past Hamill with apparent ease and charged into the box. Suddenly, she flew through the air and hit the deck theatrically. A penalty was awarded. The ref had fallen for her apparent dive but she was still not finished. She called Pauline Hamill - the apparent offender - and yellow carded her. The Russian number 3 then stepped up right as rain and converted home the penalty, beyond Gemma Fay in goals. Pauline felt like crying but she mustered all her strength to stop herself. But her frustration and rage at the number 3 was obvious and she failed to control it, lunging towards her when she had the ball. She missed and slid off the park, but the ref blew her whistle. All Pauline saw was a yellow card then a flash of red, as her team-mates protested the decision. But it stood, and Pauline Hamill had her first red card of her 18 year career and had ended Scotland's dreams.

Football Manager 2009, Patch 9.1.0

Disclaimer: Pauline Hamill is real and the situation in the OP did happen (although slightly altered), except the penalty and red card. I have no plans base the rest of the characters on anyone, but if I do change my mind I will inform you. All views are welcome and I will try and take on board any comments/constructive criticism.

Seems fine so far Mark, alot of people use real people in their stories, but I guess it depends on how far you take it.

One tip I do have is to break up your writing with paragraphs a bit more as it's easier to read. Goodluck with the story

Thanks Panpardus, I appreciate your comment.

It was more than 3 months after that match in Russia. Pauline had now retired from football. It was late November 2008 when she told her husband George what she wanted to do with her life.

"George, I'd like to do something different. Something that other ladies like me wouldn't do." She bit her lip, fearing his response. He sat and thought to himself before replying.

"Please don't say you’re climbing Kilimanjaro or abseiling off the Empire State Building," he groaned. Pauline laughed and looked across at the grin which was now spreading over his face. He was a funny man but the serious side of him shone through when necessary.

"No George," she replied, still grinning at him. "I want to manage a football team." This time it was George's turn to laugh. He laughed for a good five minutes, before stopping to reply.

"You're funny at the best of times Polly. So what is it you really want to do?" He looked across the table, and saw a very serious face looking back at him. He realised that she meant what she said. He sighed and pulled over his laptop. "I'll get searching then, I guess."

Pauline scraped the last of the mango chutney out of the jar and added it to her curry. She began to chop onions and her eyes began to water.

"Mmm, lovely smell dear, I can't wait to taste the curry," he said as he entered. George panicked when he saw tears streaming down Pauline's face.

"Darling, what's wrong?" he sympathised, went over towards her and gave her a hug from behind. Pauline laughed.

"Onions." She nodded towards the finely chopped onions on the chopping board. George laughed and turned a bright shade of red.

"I've found a few vacancies at clubs," George informed her after returning to his usual colour. She turned away from the peppers she was chopping and faced him. He beckoned her towards the conservatory and she followed him. She sat herself down on the two-seater sofa next to George, and looked at his laptop.

"Well, we have Doncaster Ladies and that would possibly be the option I would recommend you go for as you have more chance." Pauline interrupted.

"But George, I-" George cut across her.

"Darling, have you no manners?" He grinned and winked at her. "As I was saying, Doncaster would be your better option. The other team is Arsenal Ladies, and no offence dear, but they're more likely to want someone with more experience." Pauline shook her head and began to laugh. George looked puzzled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise helping my wife was so funny." Pauline laughed harder and began to choke slightly. Tears rolled down her cheek for the second time that evening. She got her breath back, and told George the hilarity.

"George, when I said I wanted to manage a football team, I meant a men's team. Like Manchester United or Chelsea, teams like them. I want to be the first female manager of a men's football team." George looked stunned. He struggled for words on what to say. He debated on what to say for a while and his mouth opened and closed a few times.

"Please, do not take this wrong way but I think people would be shocked and reluctant to hire you. I know you're an international footballer but football is, well, a mans game. Unless it involves ladies, obviously." Pauline looked disappointed with George's opinion.

"Can't you try? Maybe it's time for a change in that sexist game called football!" She stood up and stormed off through to the kitchen to continue with her curry. George lowered his head and he silently clicked away on his laptop.

December 10th, 2008

George and Pauline had just settled down to some fish, potatoes and cheese sauce when George's mobile phone rang. The tune of Bon Jovi singing 'Living on a Prayer' rang out.

"Who is it?" Pauline whispered to George as he answered. George shook his head, pointed at his dinner and then pointed at the microwave. He left the kitchen and Pauline could faintly hear voices through walls. She picked up his dinner and put it in the microwave. She sat back down and sighed to herself as she ate her food.

Pauline was putting away the pots, pans and dishes that had just been washed when George entered the room. He opened the microwave door, felt his food and turned to Pauline.

"Polly, how long should I put my food in for?" He closed the door and placed his hand on the dial.

"About 10 minutes George. Who were you on the phone to?" She asked him while he turned the dial to 10.

"Oh, err, no one dear." He opened the newspaper lying on the chair next to him.

"Well, you had a fine, long conversation with yourself. You were through there for at least half an hour." She didn't look too happy with George, but he shrugged her off. He began to mutter to himself about the headlines but she persisted.

"George, if we can't tell each other everything, then we shouldn't be together." Pauline told it to him straight. George stood up.

"For crying out loud! I was talking to a friend who bought the new Football Manager game. He was telling me about its flaws and how good it is. I might be buying it, ok? Are you happy now?" George stormed out of the kitchen. Pauline still didn't believe him. She was so caught up thinking about who he could've been talking to, she didn't hear the microwave ring in the background.

14th December

"Good morning everybody, its 11am and you’re listening to the Kris Mole show. Unfortunately, Danny Edwards was eliminated from the X Factor last -" Pauline hit the snooze button on her alarm and she emerged from her bed and went to check the post.

"Bill, bill, George's, George's, mine..." She muttered to herself and she went through the post. She put the rest of the post down on the table and looked at her own. It had 'Merry Christmas Polly' scribbled on it in George's hand-writing. Underneath that, it said 'Open A.S.A.P'. She turned the envelope over and there was another note on the back. This time, it read 'This was what I was on the phone about 4 days ago, not Football Manager. I'm sorry for lying to you, but I wanted this to be a surprise. All my love, George x'. She opened the envelope and pulled out a letter. It had the logo of Aberdeen Football Club printed on it. It read:

'Dear Mrs Pauline Hamill,

You may or may not be aware that Aberdeen Football Club has recently lost its manager Jimmy Calderwood, after he resigned due to personal reasons. Your husband, Mr George Hamill, spotted this and spoke to us over the phone about your desire to manage a football team. We at Aberdeen Football Club would be honoured if you could submit a job application for the vacant manager's position here. We will go through all the candidates, with each given a thorough checking to see if they're suitable for the club regardless of age, race, nationality or gender. We hope you consider this decision and we look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

Stewart Milne (Chairman) and Willie Miller (Director)'

Pauline re-read the letter several times and pinched herself at least 3 times. The front door opened and closed. Pauline ran through to George and planted a kiss drenched with tears on his lips. George's eyes widened when she released him and he felt her head.

"Are you feeling ok Polly?" He grinned as he asked her. She smiled and wiped a tear away from her eye.

19th December, 2008

George had just gotten out of the shower when he heard a scream coming from the kitchen. He rushed through, holding a towel round his waist, and was met with Pauline showing him a letter. On the letter, he could clearly see the Aberdeen logo. He gasped in shock as he realised what the letter meant.

"You got- Aberdeen- You're Aberdeen manager?" He eventually spluttered out his words. Pauline nodded, lost for words.

"Polly, that's fantastic! I would hug you but I'm afraid I'm covering up the jewels with only a towel, and shock of the job and them may just kill you!" He winked as he said it and, as funny as it was, Pauline knew he appreciated what she had done. After George had put some underwear on, Pauline handed him the letter. It read:

'Dear Mrs Pauline Hamill,

We are delighted to inform you that we have chosen you to be our manager. You stood out from all of the candidates easily, vastly due to your football experience in the woman's leagues and internationals. We have booked a flight for you tonight which leaves at 18:45 from Glasgow Airport and arrives at Aberdeen Airport at 19:30. We have arranged accommodation for you and your husband, which can last up to a month until you find a house in Aberdeen which you feel is suitable for you and Mr Hamill to buy/rent. We would like to meet you and Mr Hamill at Pittodrie Stadium tomorrow at 13:00 to discuss your contract. We will arrange travel to pick you up from the airport, and from the hotel you are staying in. Lunch will be available in the stadium's canteen, or you can have your own beforehand. If you cannot make the flight tonight, or you have changed your mind and do not want the job, please contact the number at the bottom of this letter.

Yours Sincerely,

Stewart Milne (Chairman) and Willie Miller (Director)'

George put the letter down on the table and looked at Pauline.

"Well?" His voice was unusually quiet and he continued. "Are you going to take the job?" Pauline looked him in the eye.

"I'm taking it on one condition." George looked confused but beckoned her to go on. "I want you to be my assistant." He looked stunned and for the first time since Pauline had accidentally blasted a football at his jewels 10 years ago, she saw a tear come to his eye. He quickly wiped away.

"Polly, there are more experienced managers and assistant managers for you to have than me," George replied. Pauline laughed at his modesty but she took a more serious note when she replied.

"George, I'm going to be the first female manager - I think - in the UK to manage a men's team. Aberdeen is taking a huge risk appointing me, and I can't see a lot of people wanting to work for a woman. You've been a manager before, you have the experience and you've also been capped by Northern Ireland. You're perfect to be my assistant manager. At least until I get used to it." Pauline winked as she said the last sentence. George nodded, and Pauline knew she had won. She looked at her watch, and then jumped.

"We better get packing George!"

20 December, 2008

"So, if you accept our offer, you'll earn £2,200 per week, and the same for Mr Hamill." Stewart Milne smiled and nodded towards George. Stewart continued. "So, if you wish, sign on the dotted line." Pauline looked at George, nodded, signed her name and officially became Aberdeen manager. George followed Pauline's lead.

"There will be a press conference tomorrow about your appointment tomorrow. I would ask you guys to prepare as you'll obviously get the 'Football is a man's game...' and all that sexist rubbish. It's been a pleasure doing business with you." Stewart Milne concluded the meeting and they headed out the door.

Pauline admired the scenery as she and George left in the car. There was a beach that stretched for miles along the water, a theme park called 'Cadonas' which had a cinema, ice rink, indoor and outdoor activities. There was the Pittodrie Golf Course, only yards from the stadium and all around the city, skyscrapers which could be seen for miles. It was a beautiful city and Pauline smiled as the car headed back to the hotel.

21st December

Pauline sat down at her brand new desk with George by her side. Former assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl - who left with Jimmy Calderwood - was there also, giving a general guide on where everything is.

"Ok, that's me done here for now, good luck Mr and Mrs Hamill." And with that, Nicholl walked out the door. Pauline looked around and turned on Sky Sports News. She had to do something for 2 hours until the press conference. She was about to call a staff meeting when Nicholl rushed back in, panting and out of breath.

"Sorry - forgot to - give you these," he spluttered out his words while holding his chest. Pauline looked at the paper's he had placed down on the desk. They were player reports.

"Thanks so much Jimmy, this will be a huge help," Pauline told him gratefully. Jimmy smiled, waved and left the room. With George looking over her shoulder, she looked through the player reports.

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

GK - Jamie Langfield - First choice goalkeeper, 29 years old and is a lot better than the next best goalkeeper. The main coach, Sandy Clark, says his strength is organising the defence, but his weakness is the distance he can get from his goal-kicks.

GK - John Bateman - Will be the goalkeeper needed on the bench for every match. Asked youth coach Neil Cooper for his opinion on John, and he reckons he can be as good as Jamie Langfield. Definitely one for the future. Has the same strength as Langfield but his weakness is rushing out to sweep up through balls.

DRC - Lee Mair - Isn't far from being as good as Zander Diamond, who is rated as the strongest defender. 28 years old, a decent defender and Sandy Clark says his strength is that he is a good team player. He also says that he has no weaknesses.

DR - Jared Hodgkiss - On loan from West Brom, is better than the next best right back Michael Morton but his loan runs out mid-way through January. Clark reports that his strength is that he is a good team player and his weakness is his aerial ability.

DR - Jonathan Crawford - Currently a decent player but has the potential to be a leading SPL right back in the future. Neil Cooper reports that his strength is that he is a good team player and also that he doesn't have any weaknesses. At 18 years old, he is a fantastic hot prospect with a great future ahead of him.

DL, MRLC - Stuart Duff - A versatile 26 year old who can play all over the pitch except as a striker or a central defender. Currently being re-trained to be an accomplished attacking midfielder. Again, Clark reckons his strength is being a good team player but his main weakness is his speed, which could possibly be a disadvantage of his versatility.

DC - Rob Jones - Signed from Hibs by Calderwood in the summer, Clark reckons he is the same as Zander Diamond. Clark also claims Jones' strength is his aerial ability but his weakness is his intelligence in the pitch.

DC - Zander Diamond - The club captain. Sandy Clark reckons his strength is being a good team player, while he has no real weaknesses

DC - Andrew Considine - Currently competing for a place in defence but has been unsuccessful as of yet. Again, Clark reckons he is a good team player, and that he has no weaknesses.

D/WBR, DM, MC - Michael Morton - Not as versatile as Stuart Duff, signed for 95K but can become a leading defensive midfielder. Only 19 so he has a great future ahead of him. Clark reckons his strength is his aerial ability, whilst he has no weaknesses.

D/WBL, DM, MLC - Charlie Mulgrew - The star of the team. Currently, he is the club vice-captain. Clark reckons he is a lot better than Stuart Duff. His strength is set-pieces. He can take corners, rifle in free kicks and long throws. He has no weaknesses.

DM, MC - Ian Black - Signed from Inverness in the summer. There is currently not much difference between him and Morton. His strength is his athleticism but his weakness is his speed.

MR - Peter Pawlett - He isn't a great player just now, but Cooper reckons he has the potential to be a star on the right wing. His strength is his speed meanwhile his weakness is his aerial ability.

MC - Mark Kerr - A decent player who can provide sufficient back-up for the central midfield. His strength is his athleticism but his weaknesses are his set pieces.

MC - Sammy Stewart - Currently a decent player, but has the potential to become a great midfielder. Only 18, so he has a great future. His strength is his athleticism, but his weakness is his aerial ability.

AMRC - Don Cowie - Signed with Ian Black from Inverness. A good player who is a leading star for the club. There isn't much difference between him and Gerard. His strength is his technique but his weakness is his aerial ability.

AMR, ST - Tommy Wright - Not a great player by any means and he could easily be sold in January. His strength is that he is a team player. He has no weaknesses according to Clark

AML - Sone Aluko - A decent player at the moment, although he is being kept out of the team by Keith Treacy. His strength is his pace and his weaknesses are his set pieces. According to Cooper, he has the potential to be a leading left winger in the future.

AML - Keith Treacy On a season long loan from Blackburn. Is a decent player currently, but has the potential to be a leading left winger. His strength is his pace and his weaknesses are his set pieces.

AML, ST - Daryl Murphy - He is on a season long loan from Sunderland. Currently contesting with Lee Miller for the second place up-front. His strength is his aerial ability and he has no weaknesses.

AMC - Gerard - Currently out with a torn calf muscle, but when he returns he could contest for a spot in central midfield. Clark reckons his strength is that he is a good team player, and he also reckons he has no weaknesses.

ST - Michael Chopra - Currently, the star of the squad, alongside Mulgrew. On a season-long loan from Sunderland and had bagged 10 goals this term. Clark reckons his strength is his speed, whereas his weakness is his aerial ability.

ST - Lee Miller - Currently competing with Murphy for the place alongside Chopra. Has bagged 5 in 14 this season but has also chipped in with 3 assists. Clark believes his strength is his aerial ability, but reckons he has no weaknesses.

ST - Callum McRobbie Nowhere near good enough for the SPL, but has the potential to be a leading striker in the future. Cooper reckons his intelligence on the pitch is his strength, but his weakness is in the air.

Pauline sat back and looked at George. She wondered what was going through his head right now, as they had both read in silence. She fished out the 'Hot Prospects' report and found that Ryan Jack, Stirling Smith, David Cameron, Callum McRobbie, Sammy Stewart, Rogvi Holm, Nicky Clark, John Bateman, Jonathan Crawford and Sone Aluko were all considered to have the potential to be great players. She handed the booklet to George, whose eyes widened as he scanned the booklet.

"Well, this club certainly has the youth of tomorrow!" George exclaimed after laying the booklet down. Pauline nodded, and began think about the press conference.

Pauline Hamill entered Pittodrie's conference room looking slightly nervous but confident nonetheless. Stewart Milne was first in, follow by Willie Miller then Pauline and George. They took their seats with Stewart on the left, Willie on the right and the new couple in between. Stewart stood up, silenced the journalists and began to speak.

"Ladies, gentleman and journalists alike, please give a warm welcome to Pauline and George Hamill, our new manager and assistant!" Stewart started the applause, and the journalists followed. A warm smile spread across my face. Stewart addressed the journalists again.

"Ok, first question please!" A journalist near the back stood up.

"Paddy McGinnen from sundaymail.co.uk. As a big fan of Aberdeen, how does it feel like to be the manager?"

"Thank you Paddy. I love Aberdeen. It's a fantastic club with great players, fans and board members alike. It feels fantastic." McGinnen nodded and sat down after some furious scribbling.

"Next," Stewart called out.

"Robert Hay, the Aberdeen Informer." Pauline nodded. "Your appointment as manager of Aberdeen has shocked people across Britain because many people view it as a man's game. Do you agree that sexism exists in football?" Pauline looked at George, who gave a nervous smile back.

"I agree with that statement. Sexism is a problem in football and I hope that many clubs will follow Aberdeen's example and appoint more women!" There was a quick applause and Pauline smiled. Paddy McGinnen stood up again. This time, he went straight to the question.

"There are very few women involved in football, and very few have tried to make the step-up to management. Surely it will be tough on you being one of the few women in football?" Pauline cleared her throat.

"It will be very tough, but I'm willing to give it my best!" She looked around the room for the next journalist, and a face off of the TV stood up.

"Adrian Chiles, BBC Sport. Despite some high quality performances and a great squad, Aberdeen have been unable to win competitions of late. Will this be one of the first issues address?"

"Yes, the team doesn't need improving, just more motivation." Paddy stood up again.

"What is your overall approach to the tactical side of the game?" Pauline laughed.

"I don't think it would be clever discussing tactics Paddy. But my assistant, George Hamill, will be on hand to help should I need it." Pauline smiled at George, and he smiled back. She looked around and Adrian Chiles stood up again.

"Handling your players is a key part of the job. What will you bring to the man management side of things?"

"Good question Adrian. I like the players to respect my presence and know whose boss." A new face stood up.

"Alan Green, Radio Five Live. How involved do you intend to be in the day-to-day running of the club?"

"I will be handling things here and there, but the staff will get an equal amount of work as well." A groan from George made most of the journalists laugh.

"Robert Davidson, the Sunday Mail. New managers often bring about times of change and upheaval to a squad and some staff and players may fear for their job. Will there be changes?" I thought of what to say before replying.

"Everyone will have the chance to prove themselves before I make any decisions," Pauline replied. Robert asked another question before he sat down.

"People are wondering how you'll go about certain facets of your job. What can we expect in the transfer market?"

"I have no particular tendency; I would try to sign players who will be good for the club." Stewart stood up. Well folks, you've fired some good questions at her and I'm sure she's fired some good answers back. I'd like to conclude today's press conference here at Pittodrie stadium. The exit is the door to the left of the fire extinguisher. Thanks to everyone, and good luck to our new manager!" A 'good luck' was murmured out by the journalists. Pauline and George stood up and exited the press conference room.

Archived