How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

17th of October 2006

“… Making news this hour is the sensational development that Rayo Vallecano’s defender David Oliva will join Cartagonova in winter for £7 million in cash now and a further £1 million if the young full-back plays ten full internationals for his country. Señor Dixie Flatline was excited this afternoon to announce the purchase of the defender, saying that Oliva has the talent and the attitude to go far in this game. The defender joined Rayo Vallecano from Zamora back in 2003/04 and immediately impressed commentators and observers of Spanish football with his business-like and efficient approach to his game. Further, Señor Flatline said that David is a cultured defender who chooses his passes with care and always finds the right attacking option to set his team moving forward. David Oliva said that he was delighted to finally complete the move that he had set his heart on since the summer when it was made known to him that Cartagonova were keen on signing him. He said that while he appreciated that Señor Irureta, the manager of Rayo Vallecano, had to do what he felt was in the best interests of the club, he felt that the transfer negotiations had proceeded far too long and when it became clear that he wanted to leave the club in favour of Cartagonova, he should have been allowed to join. Officials from Rayo Vallecano were unwilling to comment on the outburst of the outgoing Oliva…â€

Finally, I’ve managed to land my man! icon_biggrin.gif I must admit that the price is very steep for a 20 year old full-back, but I seriously consider this guy a big piece of the puzzle to taking apart Barcelona’s dominance of the domestic game. He is a pacey defender but also has a physical strength about him that makes it difficult for opponents to get past him with ease. He knows how to slide into the tackle efficiently and has no compunctions about shooting for goal when the chance presents itself. I’m looking forward to working with David and honing his already impressive skills.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest markpapin27

Hi Dixie!!

Tough one against Malta eh! ;-)

Btw I cannot tune in on Cartagonova TV. How can I contact those responsible of it? ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Q007:

I'm still reading from work and I still think this is the best story on the board (no offence to the other writers icon_smile.gif )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Q007! icon_smile.gif I'm glad that I'm contributing to your productivity at work! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markpapin27:

Hi Dixie!!

Tough one against Malta eh! ;-)

Btw I cannot tune in on Cartagonova TV. How can I contact those responsible of it? ;-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it was too tough against Malta. Apart from Nwoko and Misfud, they aren't all that good and we took it too easy against them. After taking apart Denmark and the Ukraine 3-1 both times, both home and away, I did think we were going to murder San Marino and Malta, but we didn't seem to have the energy to do that, with all due respect to our opponents. Hopefully the players will get the message and do something about it when qualifying resumes in 2007.

Well, Cartagonova TV is only available to Cartagena residents, as the club couldn't be bothered negotiating deals with the Spanish national broadcasters or Eurosport to actually carry the channel. So unless you can find a way to pirate the broadcast, I'm afraid you'll have to make do with the edited extracts. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

Im buying an old oil tanker and setting it up in a port in Spain where I hope to be able to pick up the signals to be able watch some of the games.

Dixie.... I am interested in coming to watch ur team in action at home.

Can u tell me when u next have a good strong challenge at home,

the best way to get there,

and how much it will cost me!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nbarron:

Im buying an old oil tanker and setting it up in a port in Spain where I hope to be able to pick up the signals to be able watch some of the games.

Dixie.... I am interested in coming to watch ur team in action at home.

Can u tell me when u next have a good strong challenge at home,

the best way to get there,

and how much it will cost me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck trying to pirate the broadcast of the game! Cartagonova TV doesn't carry coverage of the games themselves, but the national broadcaster usually sends a couple of cameras down every time we're playing at home these days.

And good luck trying to get tickets for our games! icon_biggrin.gif They're normally sold out weeks in advance and they can't be obtained (legally) for love or money. You would probably want to see us play Barcelona or Celta Vigo, the big clubs in Spain at the current time, but the Barcelona game has already gone past, and I can't quite remember when the Celta Vigo game comes by this season... icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

The Cartagonova story continues unabated!

17th of October 2006 (cont.)

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group D, Game 4: Cartagonova v Rosenborg

This promises to be a tight, hard-fought match. The Norwegians caused the upset when they defeated us 1-0 in the earlier match a fortnight ago, and I’m determined not to let them do that to us a second time this season. Juan Hernández is rewarded for his excellent performance against Barcelona last weekend by displacing Alberto Rivera in the first eleven while we wait for José Manuel Redondo to regain full fitness. He responds to the chance I give him by almost putting us into the lead on two separate occasions inside the first ten minutes, but good saves from the Rosenborg keeper foil the U-21 international striker. Then Rosenborg put up the shutters and manage to suppress our creativity until the 26th minute when Clegg finds himself with enough space to try a half-volleyed shot which the Norwegian keeper does well to knock down and then smother. But just after the half-hour mark, Hernández breaks the deadlock finishing a great team move with Gavião at the heart of it. The Brazilian supplied the defence-splitting pass for the young striker to run onto and slide between the legs of the keeper gleefully. It opens the floodgates and Gavião supplies a similar ball for Notman, the Scottish international, to tuck away just as easily. Källkvist preserves the two goal cushion with a string of good saves and that allows Michel to head home Notman’s cross a moment before half-time to make the scoresheet read Cartagonova 3, Rosenborg 0 at half-time.

We take things rather easily in the opening stanza of the second half, contrary to my instructions at the break, mind you, but the match flares into life again when George Clegg bolsters his claim for international selection when he pounces on the rebound from Notman’s drive to hit the back of the net, showcasing his predatory streak. Then a moment of hysteria surrounds Gavião of Cartagonova and Soma of Rosenborg. The latter pushes the Brazilian behind play and unfortunately, I don’t notice the incident nor the steam coming out of Gavião’s ears as I make changes to my eleven. The referee does notice and flourishes a yellow card in the general direction of the Norwegian. But Gavião seeks out his own revenge and pushes Soma when the referee’s back is turned. Soma lashes out wildly and connects with the innocent bystander Hernández, who falls to the ground holding his face. The referee, alerted to the shenanigans by his linesman, sends off both players, thereby killing the momentum we had built. Five minutes after the controversy, Rosenborg spoil Källkvist’s afternoon by clawing a goal back at a corner thanks to Øren. He has it in the net again later on, but the linesman eases my anger by flagging the striker off-side.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Källkvist; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel (Garrido 73), Gavião ©, Lua-Lua (Laurie 87); Clegg (Vucko 73); Hernández, Notman.

Rosenborg (5-3-1-1): Kristiansen; Heggelund, Tronseth ©, Soma, Ophaug, SirevÃ¥g; Berget, Berg (Johansen 69), Talberg; Giske (Øren 52); Nystedt.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Rosenborg

MoM - Alex Notman

In the other Group D game, Porto defeated Borussia Dortmund 1-0 in Dortmund. With two games to go, we hold a one point lead over Rosenborg and Porto, while Borussia Dortmund are three points behind us.

I give Gavião an official warning for his send-off against Rosenborg. After all, the vice-captain of the club (captain in the continued absence of Vidal) should behave much better than that, even when provoked by the idiocy of the opponent. To his credit, Gavião takes it on the chin and promises me to improve his temperament.

18th of October 2006

Mixed news from training this evening. José Manuel Redondo returns to full training, which now gives me a selection headache ahead of our tough match away to Real Madrid. But then Jaime Garrido damages a shoulder challenging for a header against Gustavsson, and the physios tell me that I can rule a line through his name for three weeks while the injury heals.

20th of October 2006

David Livermore joins Jaime Garrido on the treatment tables after he also damages his shoulder in a training incident with Carl Laurie.

22nd of October 2006

Primera Liga - Game 6: Real Madrid v Cartagonova

We have played today’s opponent six times in our time in the Primera Liga - interestingly, we have never met in the Copa del Rey - and the record is fairly even. We have won twice, lost twice, and drawn twice. But our last two meetings have been very eventful. At the Santiago Bernabéu, we thrashed Real Madrid who boasted Raúl and Totti at the time 6-2, while we also defeated them 4-2 at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena earlier in the season. Now both these players have gone, but the new manager, Señor César García García has managed to persuade the remaining players to play like a team and they currently sit second in the league. With the departure of Totti and Raúl, Pablo Aimar is the man to have taken over the mantle of Real Madrid’s talisman, and fortunately he is suspended for this game. Spanish international striker Fernando Morientes is still regarded as a quality player, and we will have to marshal him closely, while Grillito is Real Madrid’s most important defender.

Real Madrid come out looking keen for the early goal, but Juan Hernández has other ideas for them, forcing Cañizares into a spectacular finger-tip save on 12 minutes. Then Notman kids Grillito into sliding recklessly with both feet into the Scotsman, and the referee immediately orders the Uruguayan defender from the field. Lua-Lua rubs further insult into injury by hitting the 25 yard free kick perfectly to open our account. Apart from a long-range Morientes effort on 35 minutes, we withstand easily the Real Madrid attack to make it 1-0 at the break. On the hour mark, Hernández forces the Real Madrid keeper into giving away a corner with a stinging drive, and our young striker follows that up by outjumping Cañizares to Clegg’s perfectly weighted corner to make it 2-0. Morientes halves our lead on 68 minutes with his 200th goal for Real Madrid to make me bite my nails and shake my head angrily at the defenders. But Hernández keeps his hot streak going when he doubles our lead again a moment later, thundering a drive into the back of the net off the post with Cañizares stranded. But within a space of 60 seconds, we’re pegged back by ten men Real Madrid to leave me fuming at the end of the game. The two prize Brazilians, Ronaldinho and Alex, are the destroyers, scoring on 73 and 74 minutes.

I’m absolutely furious with everybody except Hernández and Clegg after the match. We had Real Madrid by the short and curlies with 17 minutes to play, but we contrive to throw away two precious league points with some absolutely atrocious defending and goalkeeping. I have a real go at Källkvist, who I believe is the man primed to take the fall for the two goals we conceded. He doesn’t like being singled out and he vocalises his disapproval of his official warning very loudly. But I don’t care. If he doesn’t like the way I operate, then he can go play in the back-blocks of Spain. Or another country. We’re on a mission here, and dropping two precious points like we did this afternoon will mean we fail at the mission. I can’t - I won’t - accept that.

Real Madrid (4-1-3-2): Cañizares; Roberto Carlos, Bornes, Grillito, Ettien (Helguera 31); Baronio; Olivera (Vivar Dorado 54), Alex, Stankovic (Colusso 54); Morientes, Ronaldinho ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Källkvist; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião ©; Michel, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández, Notman (Redondo 73).

Final score: Real Madrid 3:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Fernando Morientes

24th of October 2006

Andrés Mendoza is the latest player to need treatment by the physios after he damages his knee severely enough to be ruled out of play for a fortnight.

But I have a much better task to attend to, as the Cartagonova official supporters’ web site say that they think that Juan Hernández has made an exciting start to his Cartagonova career. Since the striker has scored four goals in 2(2) appearances, including a brace against Real Madrid on their own patch, I can’t help but agree with their sentiments.

25th of October 2006

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group D, Game 5: Borussia Dortmund v Cartagonova

This is an important game for us. If we win it, then we will qualify definitely for the next phase of the competition. Draw it or lose it, then we face the real possibility of being drawn back into the pack and have to rely upon winning our final game to ensure passage through to the second phase. I emphasise to the eleven players that will take the pitch against the German machine that victory would be preferable. So you can imagine my delight when within seven minutes of kick-off we are two goals to the good and cruising. George Clegg sets us on our way on 2 minutes when he drives home Notman’s cushioned knock-down. Then Hernández forces the German keeper into giving away a corner which Clegg perfectly crosses for Lua-Lua to outjump the poorly placed keeper to make it 2-0. But a side that boasts the likes of Viera, Juan Pablo Angel and Alessandro del Piero won’t take this situation lightly and they force their way back into the match with a series of attacks that leaves Källkvist knowing he is in a match well and truly. Yet just when the German supporters thought their side had a chance of claiming something out of this game, Juan Hernández continues his hot streak (and increasing his chances of keeping Redondo on the bench indefinitely) when he creates space for himself to force home Clegg’s threaded through ball on 33 minutes. It’s certainly a nice way to spend the half-time break, thinking about what the Germans would be doing next door to us, but I’m half-afraid that our now-legendary defensive frailties will trip us up. Yet, surely, we can’t concede three goals in one half to let slip this lead?

It becomes a four goal lead early in the second half when Lua-Lua scores his second goal of the game on 48 minutes. It caps a brilliant move started in the back half, involving Lacruz, debutant Villarreal and captain for the night Shimon Gershon. From four shots at goal, we’ve scored four goals, and despite Vieira’s best effort at beating Källkvist with a piledriver shortly after we score our fourth goal, it seems we’re impregnable. But I speak too soon. I notice that Villarreal is losing concentration and as a result, Borussia are beginning to dominate the midfield. I take him, replacing him with Laurie and moving Ballesteros into the anchor role. It doesn’t work, as within a two minute period from 67 to 69 minutes, Borussia Dortmund pull back two goals to enormously frustrate me. It would have been nice if Källkvist could also have picked his targets better from goal kicks, because I swear that every goal kick he tried went straight to the opposition. As a result, we put ourselves under too much unnecessary pressure and in the end we were lucky to come out of the Westfalenstadion with the two goal buffer. But win it we did, so we achieve our aim of qualifying for the next stage of the Champions’ League.

Borussia Dortmund (1-2-5-2): Rost (Costanzo 86); Schneider; Metzelder, Keller; Sávio (Strack 67), Del Piero, Lisztes, Vieira (Di Biagio 72), Ricken ©; Angel, Kezman.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Källkvist; Lacruz, Gershon ©, Hakala, Ballesteros; Villarreal (Laurie 67); Michel, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Final score: Borussia Dortmund 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Juan Pablo Angel

29th of October 2006

Primera Liga - Game 7: Cartagonova v Deportivo La Coruña

Deportivo have struggled to hit the heights they did back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and now they sit comfortably mid-table as they make the trek to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to play us, still pleased with the fact we’ve qualified for the next stage of the Champions’ League. Despite some urgings from Luis Sosa that I should play Jurica Vucko in the first eleven, I make only one change - Gavião returns from suspension in the Champions’ League to captain the side at the expense of Villarreal, who is dropped. Deportivo make a typically cautious start, content to pack their defensive third and hope that the veteran striker Turu Flores, with support from Mista, can make something out of nothing. For 10 minutes they succeed in this pattern of play, but Hernández gives them fair warning with a superb header that Molina does well to save. Although Vidal is fit again, Källkvist retains his place for probably his last match for a while, and does well to push away Flores’ shot on 14 minutes. On 22 minutes, Gavião marks his return to the action when he embarks on a typically bruising run that leaves plenty of Deportivo players in his wake. The Brazilian finds Notman with an inch-perfect cross and the big Scotsman does the rest with his head. He should have doubled our lead six minutes later, but spurns the opportunity created by Lua-Lua’s industrious work and when Mista finds himself free in our penalty box, I think the game is up. But Källkvist again saves the blushes of the defenders with another fine stop and our lead is preserved. On a rare journey forward, Lacruz is unlucky to hit the bar from 20 yards, while Hernández excites the crowd with a spectacular bicycle kick but it comes to nought as it comfortably clears the cross-bar.

Valerón almost equalises soon after the resumption of play in the second half, but Hernández gives our opponents something to think about when he toys with the Deportivo defenders before trying his luck with a rocket that Molina tips away. Route one football sets up Mista, but the former Spanish international does his chances of a return no favours when he fluffs his lines in front of goal and the score remains 1-0 in our favour. Hernández is clearly our most dangerous forward, but he is again foiled by good keeping from Molina on 70 minutes and then Deportivo are made to struggle when Wisio is forced from the field with all three substitutes already used. Michel hits the side-netting in injury time, but by that stage, the fight had gone out of the game and we wrapped up all three points and a clean sheet to boot.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Källkvist; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião ©, Lua-Lua; Clegg (Vucko 65); Hernández, Notman.

Deportivo La Coruña (5-2-1-2): Molina; André Luiz, Capdevila (Arruabarrena 53), Amaya ©, Boris, Roberto (Wisio 59); Makelele, Källström; Valerón; Mista, Turu Flores (Godino 59).

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Deportivo La Coruña

MoM - Alex Notman

Gavião starts in midfield for the team of the week, while Alex Notman is content to sit on the bench.

1st of November 2006

It’s that time of year again when the European nations decide who should represent them in the friendlies organised for a fortnight’s time. From Cartagonova, step forward and take a bow Jurica Vucko (Croatia versus Brazil), Philippe Mexès (France versus Germany), Iulian Filipescu (Romania versus Argentina), George Clegg (England versus the Netherlands), Kew Jaliens (the Netherlands versus England), Kenneth Gustavsson (Sweden versus Russia), Daniel Jensen (Denmark versus Belgium), Alex Notman (Scotland versus Hungary), Jukka Hakala (Finland versus Iceland) and Shimon Gershon (Israel versus FYROM).

I’m called upon to select a squad for Spain’s friendly against Yugoslavia in a fortnight. I remove Barselleta and Quique Ãlvarez from the squad, telling them that this is a match I would like to experiment with younger players so that they should not necessarily consider themselves out of the running for international caps in the future. Elche’s Francisco José Mantilla, a left-back, comes into the squad. Barcelona’s Gerard comes into the squad to possibly earn his 36th cap for his country. Former Barcelona and current Celta Vigo midfielder Xavi is added to the squad, also. Jaime Garrido and Ballesteros remain in the Spanish side, as it reads:

Goalkeepers

Esteban (31 y/o, ESP 0 caps, GK): Espanyol

César Laínez (29 y/o, ESP 3 caps, GK): Barcelona

Javier López Vallejo (30 y/o, ESP 39 caps, GK): Villarreal

Defenders

Sergio (29 y/o, ESP 23 caps, SW/D C): Sporting Gijón

Ballesteros (31 y/o, ESP 5 caps, D/DM RC): Cartagonova

César (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D RL): Osasuna

Borja (28 y/o, ESP 9 caps, D LC): Valencia

Francisco José Mantilla (23 y/o, ESP 0 caps, D L): Elche

Iván Amaya (28 y/o, ESP 32 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (28 y/o, ESP 42 caps, 1 goal, D C): Mallorca

Iván Javier Cuadrado (27 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D C): Elche

Midfielders

Artur (25 y/o, ESP 1 cap, DM RC): Villarreal

Xavi (26 y/o, ESP 13 caps, 1 goal, DM C): Celta Vigo

Diego (28 y/o, ESP 8 caps, M/S C): Racing Santander

Miguel Ãngel Angulo (29 y/o, ESP 37 caps, 5 goals, AM/F RC): Valencia

Joseba Etxeberría (29 y/o, ESP 65 caps, 18 goals, AM/F RC): Athletic Bilbao

Jaime Garrido (22 y/o, ESP 0 caps, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (21 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F RC): Espanyol

Jorge Pérez (31 y/o, ESP 30 caps, 4 goals, AM LC): Athletic Bilbao

Vicente (25 y/o, ESP 49 caps, 14 goals, AM/F LC): Valencia

Gerard (27 y/o, ESP 35 caps, 5 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Strikers

Raúl (29 y/o, ESP 93 caps, 47 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Diego Ribera (29 y/o, ESP 6 caps, 5 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (26 y/o, ESP 1 cap, S C): Real Sociedad

Fernando Morientes (30 y/o, ESP 38 caps, 25 goals, S C): Real Madrid

Rubén Navarro (28 y/o, ESP 13 caps, 5 goals, S C): Bari

I’m going to approach this game with Yugoslavia as a match where I can experiment, particularly with the defence. Poring over the archives of Spanish matches, I make a startling and alarming discovery - the team has not had a clean sheet since the first leg of the World Cup Asian play-off when they defeated Iran 2-0 almost a year ago. That’s astonishing to me and something I want to work on before we get into the business end of Euro 2008 qualifying.

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jordaowba:

Dixie

Who have you got in the Copa Del rey?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know yet. The preliminary round hasn't even been played yet this season, and we don't start participating - as the defending holder of the Copa del Rey - until the second round which will be in January 2007.

Cheers,

Dixie

Marvellous story Dixie,

Living up to your great standard of writing (and coaching) and maybe even improving on it, hope you'll finally take a mayor trophy with either Cartaganova or Spain

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maasfreak:

Marvellous story Dixie,

Living up to your great standard of writing (and coaching) and maybe even improving on it, hope you'll finally take a mayor trophy with either Cartaganova or Spain<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? The Copa del Rey isn't a major trophy? I feel robbed! What about the Spanish Super Cup? That has to be worth something, doesn't it? icon_biggrin.gif Alright, I suppose the Copa del Rey isn't the FA Cup, and well, the Super Cup is the Charity Shield! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Thanks anyway Maasfreak! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

To put you all at ease, I return with more from Cartagonova!

2nd of November 2006

Sporting Gijón defender Sergio is injured in his club’s meeting with a Turkish club in the UEFA Cup this evening, which will see him miss any football for three weeks. That requires me to select a replacement player in the Spanish squad, so I select Carlos Marchena of Celta Vigo to replace him: Carlos Marchena (27 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

3rd of November 2006

“…Making news this hour on Cartagonova TV is the announcement from Sevilla that they have made a firm offer of £3.8 million to be paid over 6 months for Cartagonova’s Swedish international midfielder Kenneth Gustavsson. While there has been no official word yet from the Cartagonova management, we have learned from well-placed sources close to the manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, that this offer will not be enough to persuade the club to sell the young midfielder. Gustavsson has struggled to cement a regular place in the first eleven for Cartagonova since joining the club at the beginning of the last season from Verona for £4 million. In fact, just coming through now is the news that Cartagonova has responded by demanding £4.5 million to be paid up-front for the Swedish international. We’ll endeavour to bring you more in this late-breaking story from the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena as it comes to hand…â€

4th of November 2006

Primera Liga - Game 8: Real Betis v Cartagonova

This aren’t happy times for Real Betis as they currently prop up the division, albeit on goal difference only. I warn my players in the change rooms before we trot out onto the pitch that this is the type of game we’re expected to win, but can just as easily lose if we’re too complacent about it. And, of course, we need that ounce of luck that all sides need to win, and we don’t seem to have it in the first half as we consistently knock on the door but aren’t rewarded with a goal. This becomes first frustrating and then infuriating as all our good work goes unrewarded thanks mainly to excellent keeping by the Betis keeper, who is certainly earning his money today. However, as the referee starts looking at his watch to blow time on the first half, Hernández, who continues to keep Redondo out of the first eleven, splits the Betis defence with an excellent pass that sets up George Clegg, and the Englishman no doubt impresses the England hierarchy with a superb finish to put us in the lead. There is still time for Lacruz to injure himself before the half finishes, and it’s bad news from the club physios as they diagnose the problem as a torn groin muscle. He’s taken to hospital while I prepare my boys for the second half.

Quinteros almost scores the lucky equaliser moments into the second half when his overhit pass forces Vidal into a good save. After a period of sustained pressure that Betis withstand well, they do indeed get the equaliser through Quinteros in a much more conventional fashion, and I’m not happy with my defenders at this moment. But at least I can say our strikers are doing the business as forty seconds later Notman has us back in front. Of course, it doesn’t last and Betis are equal again on 76 minutes, just a moment after I brought on Redondo for Hernández. But it proves to be an inspired substitution as Redondo looks to impress me by scoring the winning goal on 79 minutes. He almost scores a second three minutes later, but the striker’s goal is sufficient to separate the sides in our favour and we move into second place on the ladder, albeit temporarily as the rest of the league play tomorrow.

Real Betis (3-5-2): Sala; Rivas ©, Maínz, Gilmar; Sun, Chippo (Rodriguez 61), Morantes (Vázquez 91), Di Lorenzo, Arellano (Nagore 61); Casas, Quinteros.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz (Laurie 46), Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel (Morán 62), Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández (Redondo 75), Notman.

Final score: Real Betis 2:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

[This message was edited by Dixie Flatline on 06/03/2002 at 14:12.]

5th of November 2006

Sevilla give up on Kenneth Gustavsson for the time being.

We slip back to third on the ladder after the weekend’s results, five points off the pace set by Celta Vigo, but we do have a game in hand on the leader. Like Celta Vigo, we still are yet to lose a match, which is something not even the much-vaunted Barcelona can boast.

7th of November 2006

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group D, Game 6: Cartagonova v Porto

Well, I’m glad we’ve already wrapped up qualification for the second phase after one of the most dire games I’ve ever seen. It was excruciating to watch so I won’t describe it in detail to spare you the gory details. Suffice it to say that from our only shot on target (out of seven attempted shots), Juan Hernández scored the only goal of the game. Porto barely put up a whimper, no doubt knowing that Juan Pablo Angel’s fourth minute goal for Borussia Dortmund against Rosenborg guaranteed that Porto would join us in the second phase.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua (Jensen 89); Clegg (Morán 61); Hernández, Notman (Redondo 72).

Porto (4-3-2-1): Moreira; Athirson, Argel, Jorge Costa ©, Óscar; Silvestre, Jorge Andrade, Paredes; Ricardo Jorge, Postiga (Maric 46); Fabrício (Roni 63).

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Porto

MoM - Juan Hernández

So, our final standings look like:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

A good looking start to the season icon_smile.gif.

Safely thru to Phase 2 and unbeaten in the League. Barcelona may have more of a fight on their hands this season, lets hope so anyway icon_biggrin.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks ghostwriter! icon_smile.gif I know that if I was doing this for real, I'd be exhausted by now, but fortunately through the magic that is CM, I can take breaks from running a club and a country simultaneously! icon_biggrin.gif

As I recall, Barcelona have actually lost a game and are only top five material at the moment. I predicted that Real Madrid would struggle without Raul and Totti, but unfortunately they are thriving and are really keeping up the pressure on Celta Vigo at the top of the ladder. So it looks like we've exchanged one monster club for another, although it's too soon to really count out Barcelona just yet. icon_frown.gif

It was good to finish top of the first group phase, because we had a pretty tough group. Unfortunately, the draw didn't do us any favours and we have just as tough a group in the second phase to contend with! We'll certainly know it if we get to the quarter final stage, I think.

Competing on three fronts would be very difficult at the best of times, so I think I'm going to make our defence of the Copa del Rey less of a priority than it was last season, although a hat-trick wouldn't be so bad.

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jordaowba:

Dixie i think you will win the league icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I certainly hope so, Jordaowba! icon_smile.gif But I'm not sure whether we can really do it. Unfortunately, I couldn't strengthen the defence like I wanted to, and if we start conceding many goals again, then I feel that our challenge will falter. But only time will tell! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

So let's keep going in this story, shall we!

8th of November 2006

Sevilla make an offer of £725,000 for Iulian Filipescu. It’s very tempting, but I try to raise the bar to £850,000 for the Romanian international.

In the evening, when the last round of games is played in the first group phase, the groups for the second phase are announced. We’re drawn in Group D with Glasgow Celtic, Inter Milan and Spartak Moskva. This is definitely an interesting and tough group!

10th of November 2006

While Sevilla is mulling over my response to their offer for Filipescu, Lleida jump in with a bid of £1.2 million over 18 months. I like the first term of the offer, but the second condition leaves me a little cold, to say the least. If it could be over six months, then that would be a little more acceptable to me.

12th of November 2006

Both Sevilla and Lleida give up on Filipescu.

Primera Liga - Game 9: Cartagonova v Villarreal

This promises to be a good match. Villarreal begin this game in eighth position, looking to consolidate on their solid start to their season. But with almost 16,500 people on our side, we begin the match in fine style, thundering shots from all over the box at the Spanish international keeper, Javier López Vallejo, who unfortunately decides that this is the right day to impress his national manager! icon_smile.gif But on 27 minutes, Villarreal’s luck finally runs out when Gavião picks up the ball and feeds Clegg. The Englishman, looking to impress Kevin Keegan before England’s game next Wednesday, does his chances no harm at all with a fine finish! icon_smile.gif We keep up the pressure, but López Vallejo is on top of his game today and when Gaitán finally has a wild crack at our goal on 39 minutes, we seem to have exhausted most avenues of attack.

Obviously shaken up by their manager at the break, Villarreal come out looking for the quick equaliser, and we’re under extreme pressure early in the second half. But Iván Vidal comes into his own and pulls off a string of good saves to preserve the lead. I finally tire of Ballesteros missing too many tackles and withdraw him from the game on 60 minutes, replacing him with Kew Jaliens. But the torrent of Villarreal attacks doesn’t slow one whit, and I’m beginning to bite my fingernails hoping that we can hold onto our slender lead. Ideally, a second goal would settle the affair and on 82 minutes, Clegg pokes home the rebound from Notman’s headed shot to make it 2-0. Surely that should make it safe, but Vidal still needs to save well from Kristian Tanem in injury time to preserve the clean sheet.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros (Jaliens 60); Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua (Garrido 47); Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Villarreal (3-5-2): López Vallejo ©; Unai, Alonso, Paco; Agostinho, Jesuli (Bosun 52), Tanem, Venetis (Drasim 67), Callejas; Gaitán, Víctor (Hernández 91).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Villarreal

MoM - George Clegg

The Man of the Match award could have been raffled between Vidal, Gavião, Clegg and Hernández. I can tell you that Ballesteros wouldn’t have won it - I give him an official warning for his poor performance, and that basically rules him out of a start against Yugoslavia in 3 days’ time.

13th of November 2006

The media jump upon Mallorca and Real Vallodolid, tipping them to be certainties for relegation come the end of the season, despite the fact they have only played ten games so far this season in the league. Not to mention that Real Betis are also stuck at the bottom of the ladder. By contrast, we are third on the ladder four points behind Celta Vigo, the leader of the league, with a game in hand.

14th of November 2006

On a cool, dry November evening in Belgrade, the Spanish Under-21s set the standard by defeating their Yugoslav counterparts 2-0. Ismael Méndez is a used substitute, but finds himself substituted after 65 minutes. David Oliva, currently with Rayo Vallecano, but Cartagonova-bound in a month’s time, plays the first half.

15th of November 2006

Friendly - Yugoslavia v Spain

A mid-week friendly is one way of taking your mind off your club duties. With the words of encouragement from the board and supporters of Cartagonova still ringing in my ears (faintly, mind you), I stand up to address the players who will wear the predominantly red strip of Spain against Yugoslavia tonight. The years of dictatorship under Slobodan Milosevic are finally being healed as foreign investment turns Belgrade into the new Prague of eastern Europe - tourism is a big money spinner for Yugoslavia these days - hard to believe after the dark days of the 1990s. So a large contingent of Spanish supporters join us in Belgrade, waiting for this evening to get underway. True to my word, I decide to shake things up a little in the first eleven, but still wishing to maintain some continuity between the squads I’ve used for the European qualifiers and tonight’s friendly, I leave at least half the team untouched. But with nine substitutes available to choose from, I think plenty of these players will see action tonight, one way or another.

With the last echoes of the Spanish national anthem beginning to fade in the stadium, Joseba Llorente justifies his selection in the Spanish side with a quickfire goal that takes all of 35 seconds to score and challenges the record for the quickest goal in international football. Gerard, back again after a long lay-off from international football, supplies a sublime pass that the Yugoslav defence can do nothing about, and the Real Sociedad striker applies the killer finish to put us up 1-0 inside a minute. Buoyed by the early goal, we try to go on the rampage, but poor finishing, particularly from Raúl keep Yugoslavia in the match when they should already be dead and buried after 30 minutes. But just when our ambitions of scoring a second goal looked like they would be frustrated, at least in the first half, Jaime Garrido, playing on the left side of midfield, squeezes a pass through the Yugoslav defence, finding Llorente who again does the rest with ease. Garrido himself could have helped himself to Spain’s third goal, but his fierce drive from 25 yards crashes unluckily against the bar and goes out of play. In the meantime, Raúl’s constant adjustment of the radar brings him closer to a goal, but unfortunately for the captain, it doesn’t come inside the first 45 minutes of the game.

Six minutes into the second half, Llorente fluffs his opportunity at an international hat-trick when after taking on and comprehensively beating two Yugoslav defenders, he whistles a shot just past the post. As I begin to make substitutions, Yugoslavia gradually work their way back into the game, and I’m very disappointed to see them score a goal on 88 minutes thanks to Jelic. But substitute Rubén Navarro finishes a good team move involving another substitute Ballesteros, and we leave Belgrade with a comfortable 3-1 victory under our belts. But still, our defence was caught out this evening, and I’m looking to avoid that outcome if at all possible.

Yugoslavia (4-4-2): Kovacevic; Stefanovic (Rasovic 59), Tasevski (Petkovic 65), Martinovic ©, Dudic; Pecelj (Djorovic 65), Ivic, Dejan Stankovic (Boskovic 51), Djordjevic; Milosevic (Jelic 46), Kezman.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): López Vallejo; Borja (Mantilla 78), César, Iván Amaya (Carlos Marchena 88), César (Ballesteros 88); Xavi; Garrido, Angulo (Vicente 78); Gerard (Zubizarreta 61); Raúl © (Rubén Navarro 61), Llorente (Diego 88).

Final score: Yugoslavia 1:3 Spain

MoM - Joseba Llorente

In other friendlies involving Cartagonova players, Daniel Jensen picked up a goal and the MoM after Denmark defeated Belgium 2-1 in Brussels. Jurica Vucko came off the bench on 56 minutes but couldn’t stop Croatia going down 1-0 to Brazil in Split. Kew Jaliens and George Clegg will have wildly differing flights back from London this evening as the Dutch thrashed England 4-1 at Wembley stadium. Clegg was an unused substitute while Jaliens had a superb game at right back. Anthony Lurling opened the account for the Dutch on 7 minutes, while Ruud van Nistelrooy extended the lead five minutes before the break. Edgar Davids made it 3-0 on 77 minutes, and the faint hope that England had of snatching anything out of this game following Trevor Benjamin’s 80th minute goal was snuffed out by Kevin Bobson’s goal in injury time at the end of the game.

Jukka Hakala played for Finland as they thrashed Scandinavian cousins Iceland 6-2 in Reykjavik - Bolton’s Jussi Kujala scored a hat-trick for Finland. Shimon Gershon played a solid game for Israel as they defeated FYROM 3-1 in Tel Aviv. Iulian Filipescu is still celebrating a famous victory as underdog Romania came up trumps to defeat Argentina - the winner of the 2002 World Cup - 2-0 in Bucharest. Goals to Pancu and Moldovan sealed Argentina’s fate. Alex Notman was one of four players on the scoresheet for Scotland as the Scots defeated Hungary 4-2 in Glasgow.

In other games, France defeated Germany 2-0 in the Stade de France thanks to a brace from Thierry Henry. Northern Ireland and Lithuania played out a 0-0 draw in Vilnius, while Portugal’s terrible run this year continued as they lost 2-1 on the road to Nigeria. Bulgaria upset Norway 3-1 in Oslo while Sweden and Russia drew 3-3 in Stockholm.

After the fun and excitement of winning against Yugoslavia, I check in with home base and I’m told by Luis Sosa that he is really excited about Ramón Salas. He believes that the kid (he’s 22 years old) is ripe for some first team action in the very near future, and that I should seriously consider giving him at least a place on the bench over the next couple of months. I take it under advisement, at least until I get back to Cartagena to look at him live and in the flesh.

18th of November 2006

“…There is big news from the Nou Camp this afternoon as tenth-placed Real Sociedad pull off a big upset, defeating Barcelona 3-2 in an exciting game in front of 93,500 fans at the famous stadium. On a drizzling, cool afternoon, the Catalans thought that normal service would continue after Patrick Kluivert headed home Pavel Nedved’s cross just a moment before half-time. The Dutch international made it 2-0 with a similar finish to Alfonso’s cross on 56 minutes. But Da Silva halved Barcelona’s lead four minutes later and then Spanish international Joseba Llorente scored a brace inside the last ten minutes to pull off an amazing escape for the Basque club. Barcelona remain in fifth place after ten matches, trailing league leader Celta Vigo by eight points. In the other Saturday afternoon match, Valencia moved back into third place ahead of Cartagonova on goal difference after triumphing 2-0 on the road to Villarreal.â€

“In other news from Cartagonova, Señor Flatline responded to Ally McCoist’s assertion on the respected football web site planetfootball.com that Alex Notman is playing the best football of his career, and is beyond comparison amongst his contemporaries, especially in Scotland. The Scottish international has scored 25 goals in 36(6) appearances since joining Cartagonova from VfB Stuttgart for £3.1 million eleven months ago. Señor Flatline agreed with McCoist’s assessment, saying that the big, powerfully built Scottish striker was performing magnificently in not only scoring goals but creating them for his teammates.â€

For my positive response about Notman, I’m greeted warmly at the training track by the fans of Cartagonova, who believe I should be manager for a very long time. Then, I receive a personal missive from His Holiness, the President, Señor Florentino Manzano, who sends his driver to tell me that he’s pleased with the way I’ve dealt with the media. Peachy! icon_smile.gif

19th of November 2006

Primera Liga - Game 10: Cartagonova v Sporting Gijón

This should be a good game. Historically, we’ve had the wood over our rivals, picking up 17 points from 9 games in all competitions. But last season, we contrived to concede a late equaliser at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to Félix Dja Ettien (now at Real Madrid), while we were indebted to Fernando Morán for saving our bacon in the reverse fixture later in the season when he scored a brace to allow us to draw 2-2 with Sporting.

So, on a wet day, 17,975 faithful supporters troop into the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena waiting to see another chapter in our chase for the title unfold. If the past few seasons are anything to go by, there will be plenty of goals to take their minds of the dreary conditions that have swept through Cartagena in the past few days as winter begins to bite in the south of Spain. And their hearts are warmed when Juan Hernández continues his hot streak by opening the scoring on 6 minutes, smashing a low, swerving drive past Gustafsson in goal for Sporting. But within a period of 60 seconds from the 20 minute mark, it goes suddenly pear-shaped for us as Rubén equalises and then Edgar hits home their second goal. Notman misses a chance to equalise when Gustafsson pulls off a superb save to stop the Scot in his tracks, while Michel’s header from the resulting corner thunders off Iván Campo when it would have gone in. But from Gershon’s throw-in on 43 minutes, Michel swept the ball past the back-tracking Sporting defenders where Clegg is perfectly situated to knock in the equaliser just before half-time.

Just after half-time, Hernández tees up Lua-Lua and the Congan winger fires home his fifth goal of the season to make it 3-2 in our favour. The loss of Hakala to injury on 56 minutes threatens to jeopardise our defence as the little-used Óscar Ãlvarez comes on to replace him, while the overawed Laurie gives way to David Livermore on the left. But that doesn’t worry Hernández, who single-handedly lifts the crowd out of their seats three minutes later with a spectacular scissors kick that goes within finger-tips of hitting the back of the net. However, we spend the next 30 minutes of the game - right to the end, in fact - battling for the three points as Sporting pile on the pressure to get that equaliser. Rubén is finding space at will and in desperation I almost consider putting two defenders on to mark him, but Edgar is almost as dangerous and letting him maraud freely would be just as bad. However, Sporting don’t find their equaliser and we escape this game with all three points, fortunately. icon_cool.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie (Livermore 56), Gershon, Hakala (Ãlvarez 56), Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Sporting Gijón (4-5-1): Gustafsson; Rivarola, Iván Campo, Nakazawa (Luis González 33), Gerbaudo; Tal, Farinós (Ãvila 46), Edgar, Barsellata ©, Babangida; Rubén.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Sporting Gijón

MoM - Juan Hernández

Jukka Hakala will miss only a week through a thigh strain he incurred in the match, but that rules him out of our European Champions’ League encounter with Celtic at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena on Wednesday night. Iván Vidal and Juan Hernández are in the team of the week.

There is a personal milestone for Michel, as he assumes the mantle once held by Fernando Couto and most recently by Fernando Morán by becoming the player with the most league appearances for Cartagonova. He now has 153 appearances for Cartagonova, while Fernando Morán has 152 appearances. Morán could take it back because he is still in contention for playing games for me this season, but Michel is practically an automatic selection on the left wing, so I wouldn’t bet against him not extending the record as the season progresses.

This marks our tenth game in the league this season, so do give you all an idea of what’s going on in Spain, here is the league ladder:

“…Espanyol manager Ramón Diaz becomes the first managerial casualty after he tendered his resignation this evening. The former Argentine international (24 caps, 10 goals) guided Espanyol to UEFA Cup in consecutive seasons and counts finishing sixth in his first season at Espanyol as his best achievement. But the cross-town rival of Barcelona has struggled to make any headway this season, and currently lies fifteenth in the league, only four points clear of the relegation zone.â€

Around the leagues and first to England, where Arsenal and Tottenham are locked together in a bitter battle to claim the top prize on 29 points, three clear of east London rival West Ham Utd and Watford. Defending champion Manchester United is struggling to kick start its season, lying tenth in the standings, nine points behind the pacesetters. Most teams have played fourteen games so far this season, and the early contenders for relegation are Luton Town, Sheffield Wednesday and Manchester City.

Moving to Italy, and the chase for the Scudetto is nine games old for most clubs. At the top of the ladder are the two Milan clubs, with AC Milan leading fierce rival Inter by a point. Parma is a further point behind on 19 points, while Bari remains in striking distance in fourth position on 17 points. Juventus needs to get a hurry on if they don’t want their title challenge to falter before Christmas - the Old Lady of Turin is eleventh, with just 9 points to their name. Verona, Venezia, Napoli and Calgiari fill the relegation zone early in the season.

In Portugal, Rio Ave is the surprise leader with 22 points from 11 games played, two points clear of Chaves who have a game in hand. Benfica and Gil Vicente are locked together on 19 points from 11 games, while Sporting and Porto need to improve their league records being 9th and 10th. Beira-Mar, Estoril and Farense fill the relegation zone.

Finally, to Spain, and Celta Vigo, 29 points from 11 games, enjoy a four point lead over Real Madrid, who have 25 points from 11 games. Cartagonova is a further point behind, but have a game in hand on the leaders, and enjoy a 3 point buffer over Valencia. Barcelona is struggling early in the season to impose themselves on the opposition, having just 18 points from 10 games, and uncharacteristically have already lost 2 games this season out of 10 played.

Dixie Flatline

The story must continue!

21st of November 2006

I’m asked to respond to comments made in a daily newspaper that reaches Cartagena that Juan Hernández is set for an exciting future at the club, and possibly for country, at least judged on his performances so far since joining the club. I agree wholeheartedly with the assessment of the powerful forward, hoping that it will settle the boy down even more, while he keeps out José Manuel Redondo from the side.

22nd of November 2006

The second phase of the European Champions’ League kicked off last night, while we begin the campaign against Celtic this evening. So in order to keep you all informed about the opposition we’re facing to find a place in the quarter-finals, here is the rundown on all the teams. We begin with Cartagonova, and of course you can’t go past the powerful pair of Juan Hernández and Alex Notman who lead the way for the Spanish club. Juan Hernández, since joining Cartagonova from Hércules for £1.7 million, has come to displace club legend José Manuel Redondo from the starting eleven and as he continues to score goals and plenty of them, he keeps out Cartagonova’s greatest-ever scorer. But Alex Notman has also been a great success since he joined the club for £3.1 million almost a year ago from German club VfB Stuttgart. After Niels Kokmeijer left the club in the summer, the big Scot has stepped up to the plate to take on the mantle of the leading forward at the club. Furthermore, George Clegg, stung after a season on the sidelines, as taken giant strides forward at the club and is looking to defend his European Midfielder of the Year award he captured last season. He wants to break into the English team, and has produced some of the best form of his career so far this season. On the wings, Cartagonova has the productive pair of Michel and Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua who contribute plenty of goals and assists to the team’s statistics.

If there is a flaw in Cartagonova, it is perhaps the defence, with the club conceding too many goals for the manager’s liking. However, the strong partnership of Shimon Gershon and Jukka Hakala is looking like it will bear fruit in the future, and with Spanish international Ballesteros and Dutch international Kew Jaliens fighting over the right-back role, there is plenty of hope for this season. No doubt the promotion of Carl Laurie towards more first-team football is a ploy to guarantee the future of Cartagonova, particularly with the long-term injury to first-choice left back José Lacruz. Iván Vidal, the club captain and starting goalkeeper, has had an injury-plagued season, but he once again looks secure between the posts, while Christoffer Källkvist has been a useful stand-in when called upon. Nothing less than qualification for the quarter-finals would be acceptable for the Spanish club.

Since taking over the management of Glasgow Celtic, Martin O’Neill has overseen a revolution in the green and white side of Glasgow. Over £260 million has been ploughed into developing the player resources at the club, and as a result there is quality in every position. A trio of Gareth Barry, Jason de Vos and Joos Valgaeren anchor the defence in O’Neill’s favoured 3-5-2 formation, while former Manchester United pair Paul Scholes and David Beckham control midfield. Up front, Chilean international Marcelo Salas and Michael Bridges form an imposing striking pair for opposition defences to deal with, while Scottish international Steven McMillan, the club captain, provides inspiration down the left of midfield. Spanish football observers will also be familiar with the name Peter Madsen, who for so long was the beating heart of Sporting Gijón and as the Danish international settles into Glasgow, his play for Celtic can only improve. This is a star-studded, quality squad and no doubt Celtic will look to qualify from the group for the knock-out phase.

The days of Christian Vieri and Ronaldo terrorising opposition defences while wearing the colours of Inter Milan are long gone, but that isn’t to say that the fans of Inter are starved of success. The giant Milanese club finished third in Serie A last season, which was enough to qualify for the Champions’ League and now that they have reached the second phase, the demanding supporters will expect nothing less than a push for glory in May 2007. The days of huge salaries have also, by and large, departed for Inter players, with Irish international striker Robbie Keane the top earner on £50,000/week. However, Anthony Lurling is the creative force in the Inter Milan side - the Dutch international winger has been inspirational for Inter since joining the club in 2003/04, and he will be the conduit for many Inter moves. He will provide the ammunition for the strike partnership of Keane and Italian international Luca Saudati to convert for Inter, while Martin Laursen will be expected to hold the defence together ahead of French international keeper Sebastian Frey. It perhaps may not be the high-profile squad that it was several seasons ago, but manager Signor Alberto Zaccheroni has done well to improve the overall quality of the squad, and he will feel the expectations of the fans are attainable this season.

Spartak Moskva is a perennial participant in the European Champions' League, but in this tough group, it’s lack of pedigree may be its undoing. Much will ride upon the shoulders of striker Alexandr Shirko and midfielder Artem Bezrodny, although Ghanaian international striker Derek Boateg is also a likely customer for the club. However, Spartak’s Achilles heel is the defence with a sprinkling of veterans and less talented players required to step forward to defend Spartak under pressure. Much will depend upon the performance of goalkeeper, the veteran Alexandr Filimonov, and central defender Oleg Kuzmin. However, one can’t really see Spartak Moskva carrying through this extremely tough group into the knock-out phase.

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group , Game 1: Cartagonova v Glasgow Celtic

We’ve only come across Celtic once in my association with Cartagonova, when we played them in the final of the F1 Cup last season. We lost that day 1-0 after we played very badly, and with many of the players involved in that game playing for us tonight, I use a motivational speech to fire them up before they go out to face the music. I have a quiet word in the ears of the defenders, warning them that they should not let Marcelo Salas have a quiet moment’s peace to himself through the entire 90 minutes. I see him, and to a lesser extent Beckham and Scholes, as the key to Celtic’s fortunes this evening, and if the big Chilean striker gets a sniff, then we’re in trouble.

But Juan Hernández gives us a great start when he is tackled poorly inside the area by Curtis Woodhouse, and with José Manuel Redondo cooling his heels on the bench, Gavião slots the penalty on 2 minutes. Our lead is doubled when George Clegg scores a magnificent goal from 40 yards, thundering home Notman’s pass into the top corner of the net! icon_biggrin.gif But Ballesteros lets Marcelo Salas slip through the defensive cordon and the Chilean striker takes Sean Evers’ pass in his stride before tucking it between Vidal’s legs to halve our lead on 25 minutes. icon_frown.gif I’m immediately on my feet yelling instructions to the defenders to keep a tighter watch on Salas. The yellow card-happy referee shows a card to Clegg on 27 minutes for a soft foul on de Vos, and it will prove to be very significant later in the game. We reach the break still in front and I tell the boys that I’m only partially satisfied with the half’s work. The defence leaves me with a lot to be desired, while Juan Hernández looks a little jaded tonight and will be replaced by Redondo, who gets a half to impress me (by scoring a goal, I think).

Gavião is booked for dissent early in the second half and then Clegg receives his second yellow card of the game for a poor tackle on Gareth Barry. I don’t dispute the second yellow, but it really should have been his first, as I thought the first foul was not even a foul, let alone a yellow card offence. icon_mad.gif I’m forced to shuffle the formation to cover Clegg’s absence, which ends up with Redondo playing a lone role up front with support from Notman. And the combination of Michel and Notman comes up trumps with the former crossing for the latter to volley home superbly from a very acute angle! icon_smile.gificon_cool.gif The crowd is on their feet cheering for the Scotsman who (hopefully) condemns his countrymen to defeat. Yet Marcelo Salas is determined to have the last word. He is prompted by a divine pass from Scholes, and the Chilean striker scores his second goal of the game to make the scoresheet read a little flattering for Celtic at the final whistle. Still, three points is three points, though I do officially warn Laurie for another poor performance at left back.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Gershon, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández (Redondo 46), Notman.

Glasgow Celtic (3-5-2): Given; McMillan ©, de Vos, Valgaeren; Silvinho, Woodhouse (Barry 62), Scholes, Evers, Simon Taylor (Madsen 55); Salas, Nicholas (Hamilton 55).

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Glasgow Celtic

MoM - Alex Notman

26th of November 2006

Primera Liga - Game 11: Real Vallodolid v Cartagonova

Our league campaign continues with a trip to the 19th placed Real Vallodolid. This should be an opportunity to pick up another three points, and hopefully improve our away record, which is holding us back in the chase of the top two teams in the country. I decide that, with the next Champions’ League game more than a week away, I can afford to leave out the disappointing Carl Laurie for David Livermore, despite the fact that the latter is not eligible for European competition. A harder decision to make is whether Redondo should return for Hernández, who for the first team since moving to us, didn’t look up to scratch against Celtic last Wednesday. But I decide to give the youngster another chance partnering Notman, although Redondo takes a step closer towards reclaiming his starting eleven place.

Real Vallodolid concentrate on stifling our attacking options for the first 20 minutes or so, and indeed they have the first opportunity to strike at goal when Pavel Godvalt’s corner is headed towards goal by Djokaj, but thankfully it cannons off the bar and away from Vidal’s goal. Michel foolishly trips Delfim from within Del Campo’s range, and Vidal is required to make a save. He knocks it down and Clegg completes the clearance. After that, we own the game, creating and wasting a series of chances in the remainder of the first half. But Alex Notman bobs up eight minutes into the second half to excellently volley home Gershon’s long pass and we comfortably hold onto our 1-0 lead, despite the fact that David Livermore and Óscar Ãlvarez play poorly and are substituted.

Real Vallodolid (5-3-1-1): César ©; Djokaj (Marcos 48), Leo Ramos, WingÃ¥rd (Fernando Sales 60), Rodríguez, Ibarra; Mason, Delfim, Del Campo; Godvalt; Aganzo (Guerrero 48).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore (Laurie 81), Gershon, Ãlvarez (Jaliens 72), Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Final score: Real Vallodolid 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - César

Once we return to Cartegena, I call Livermore and Ãlvarez into my office, and ask them to pull their socks up, basically, else they will find other players in their positions for the rest of the season. To his credit, Ãlvarez gets the message and humbly promises to perform better when he has the chance, but Livermore thinks that my warning is harsh and immediately demands a transfer. I tell him to cool off in the shower block and think about what’s happened today. Needless to say, I deny him a transfer.

The victory, however, pushes us into second place as we overtake Real Madrid who, you may remember, lost yesterday to Real Sociedad 3-2 at home. But we still lag behind Celta Vigo by five points, although we do have a game in hand on our rivals. Surprisingly, Barcelona lose to cross-town rival Espanyol 2-1 away from home - their third loss this season already, which is highly unlike the champion.

29th of November 2006

This morning I’m alerted by my personal assistant that Lleida has offered us £950,000 over 18 months for Iulian Filipescu. By this time, I’ve decided that Iulian is of not much use to us any more, but he could still have some life in those old legs, and therefore I decide to treat this offer rather seriously. I’m still rankled by the 18 month condition on the bid, though, and I do try to obtain some adequate compensation on top of the £300,000 premium Lleida have offered for the defender. I ask for £250,000 after 10 league appearances and £150,000 after one international appearance, and 10% of the next transfer fee. I don’t think Lleida will accept these terms, but if they are serious about the Romanian, they should.

1st of December 2006

As I suspected, Lleida do not want to follow up their interest in Filipescu.

However, some transfer action takes place today as Feyenoord sign Brazilian veteran winger Zé Roberto from Barcelona for £5.25 million.

“…Cartagonova’s association with Jurica Vucko will finish at the end of the season after the Croatian international decided to leave the southern Spanish club on a Bosman at the end of the season. The Croatian joined from Alavés at the beginning of the 2004/05 season on a Bosman, and made an immediate impression in his first year at the club. However, injury problems plagued him last season, restricting him to just 18 starts through the season and his inability to break into the first eleven on a regular basis this season - 0 starts and just 3 substitute appearances to date - obviously played upon his mind when making his decision. The 30 year old Croat represented his nation at the World Cup in Germany, and has 26 international caps to his name. No doubt his highlights at the club include twice winning the Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup in 2005. Señor Flatline paid tribute to his contribution to the club’s cause, particularly in a difficult first season in La Liga, and said that the club respected his decision and had decided not to attempt to negotiate with the Croatian after Vucko had made his feelings clear.â€

“Mauro Esposito also announced his decision to leave Cartagonova at the end of the season when his contract expires. The Italian joined from Udinese at the same time as Jurica Vucko as Señor Flatline looked to increase the depth and quality of his squad before taking on the challenge of the Primera Liga back in 2004. He was fairly effective in his first season, scoring nine goals from 18(11) appearances, but his chances at the club were limited in his next season, as the Italian made only 0(5) appearances. In fact, the predominance of the Hernández-Notman and Redondo-Notman partnerships this season has seen the Italian squeezed out of any first team football at all, and it came as little surprise to Señor Flatline that Esposito has decided to move on. The manager wished him all the best and said that the club would be grateful for his performances when he was called upon.â€

“Also expected to make their decisions about their future at Cartagonova public are Spaniards Alberto Rivera and Juan Carlos Castro, Peruvian Andrés Mendoza. Both players’ contracts expired today and they have not as yet accepted new deals offered by the club. We’ll keep you updated on their future as news comes to hand. However, Señor Flatline has rumoured to have approached Calgiari defender Moustapha Keità with a view of signing him on a Bosman free transfer from next season. The 26 year old French defender has caught the manager’s eye with some good performances at the back for his club, but he has not had the chance to showcase his skills this season and as a result, is likely to be willing to listen to offers from Cartagonova. It is also reported from Atalanta that Jean-François Gillet has been offered a contract by Señor Flatline. The Belgian international keeper has long been unsettled at the Bergamo club and has sought a move out of the city for most of this season. However, with his contract expiring at the end of the season, most suitors have decided to wait until they could discuss terms with him directly, and Cartagonova is expected to have to fight off clubs like FC Utrecht, Bochum, Lyon and Twente Eschede to sign the 28 year old Belgian.â€

Dixie Flatline

My weekend is almost done, but anyway, here is some more from Cartagonova!

2nd of December 2006

Sampdoria are the first to be interested in Mauro Esposito, making him an offer to return to Italy.

Primera Liga - Game 12: Cartagonova v Mallorca

We hope to make headway against the bottom club in the league, but matters aren’t helped when Iván Vidal is forced from the field with a knock that requires urgent treatment by the physios. I then send on Christoffer Källkvist to plug the gap, but his first job is to pick the ball out of the net when Roberto Losada ghosts through our defence and cracks a shot past the Swede, who didn’t move when it flashes by. icon_mad.gif But pressure from Notman leads to our equaliser on 36 minutes. The big Scot forced Felip into dropping his shot, and the Brazilian pounced on the rebound to tuck it away before the Mallorca defence could react. It remains at 1-1 apiece at the break, and I’m not happy about that situation.

Things need to turn around immediately to make me happy, and fortunately George Clegg is on hand to tap in the rebound from Juan Hernández’s shot that Felip couldn’t handle. But we do like to make things difficult for ourselves, and this occurs on 72 minutes when Lua-Lua pushes Danish defender Martin Smith clear in the chest. The Dane falls over theatrically, drawing the inevitable attention of the referee to the incident. The referee flourishes the red card, and I send around a couple of trainers to accompany the midfielder from the field, and write in my notebook in clear, definite lettering, that I would have to deal with him after the game. But again, our third goal comes from a Felip fumble. Notman’s furious drive is too hot for the keeper to keep his hands around, and Garrido, the substitute, gleefully puts it away for our third and concluding goal for the game. We could have had a couple more by the end of the game, but a 3-1 result is still satisfying, particularly when Celta Vigo loses 2-1 to Valencia at home to make it a 2 point gap with a game in hand! icon_smile.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal © (Källkvist 10); Livermore, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel (Garrido 63), Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Mallorca (4-4-2): Felip; Smith, Hibic (Yong Liu 35), César ©, Tamandi; Raúl Ivars, Pulido, Pertot, Lauren (Santamaria 65); Carlos, Losada.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Mallorca

MoM - George Clegg

While the board and I are happy with the final result, it does come at a cost. Vidal is ruled out for a fortnight with a twisted knee he suffered early in the game, while Michel is diagnosed as suffering strained knee ligaments after he complained of soreness in the knee to the physios. That means that the winger will miss about three weeks of play. Of course, Lua-Lua faces the disciplinary committee after his loss of head, so I wait with baited breath to see what they do with the midfielder.

3rd of December 2006

Mauro Esposito is offered a contract by Badajoz.

I’m contacted by representatives of various national sports newspapers after the weekend’s round of fixtures conclude today, and they want to discuss only one thing - can we keep up our rich vein of form and continue to press for the title by the end of the season? This is a tricky situation to handle, and I’m mindful that the board and the fans want to see us aiming for the best we can. I especially remember a conversation I had with the President of the club, Señor Florentino Manzano, who wants me to mount a serious title challenge. This must include, to my mind, announcing to the rest of Spain that we are serious in claiming the top prize this season. And that’s exactly what I tell the reporters.

Later in the evening, I read in the local paper an opinion poll conducted by the Cartagena’s only newspaper. Apparently, my publicised optimism that we can go all the way this season has found favour amongst the supporters, and they hope that I continue to lead their club for a long time. I’m also contacted by the President, who tells me that he’s very happy that I believe that we have the ability to win the title. All this back-slapping is all well and good, but I just hope that we haven’t been breaking our arms trying to pat ourselves on the back. icon_eek.gif

While I’m discussing Cartagonova’s title credentials, the press also take a look at Salamanca, currently struggling to keep their heads above water in the Segunda Liga. I’m intrigued by the media speculation surrounding Salamanca, because they have a player I’m very interested in signing one day - the Norwegian utility, Per Vener Rønning, who would be in the international squad if he could get a game in the limelight. He seems very happy to be at Salamanca, but if their poor form gets them relegated, I can hardly see him playing in the bottom league in Spain for very long.

5th of December 2006

Rayo Vallecano offer Alberto Rivera an opportunity to return to the capital after they offer him a contract to join them in the summer.

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group D, Game 2: Spartak Moskva v Cartagonova

It’s a different looking Cartagonova that takes the field this evening against Spartak Moskva. Injuries to Vidal and Michel mean that Källkvist and Jaime Garrido are given rare opportunities to cement starting positions. George Clegg’s suspension allows Fernando Morán to supplant the Englishman, while Carl Laurie is recalled to the eleven to replace the ineligible David Livermore. We begin very well with Garrido testing the keeper on 5 minutes with a dipping, swerving shot from the edge of the area, but Filimonov does well to hold onto the shot. And then we’re given a shot in the arm when Portuguese midfielder Simão takes umbrage at something Garrido whispered in his ear and pushes over the Spanish international. The referee immediately flourishes the red card and we have a man advantage that I’m fully determined to make count. Spartak Moskva try to keep us away from their goalkeeper, but on 24 minutes Juan Hernández gets free in the area and Filimonov can only divert his shot into the path of Hakala, and the Finnish international opens his Cartagonova account with a timely goal. We spend the remainder of the half looking to add to our solitary goal, with Notman and Hernández particularly prominent in trying their luck. But Filimonov is in good form and manages to preserve the score at 1-0 in our favour at the break. However, on 55 minutes, their resistance is finally broken for the second time when Garrido’s corner is efficiently headed home by Notman. We continue to pepper Filimonov in goal, but to no avail and we head back to Cartagena with a comfortable, satisfying 2-0 victory under our belts. To make our situation even better, Inter Milan and Celtic draw 2-2 in Glasgow to give us a four point buffer already.

Spartak Moskva (4-4-2): Filimonov ©; Vlasov, Bokov, Buklevsky, Parfenov; Bezrodny, Nikolaev, Kechinov, Simão; Shirko (Skoblyakov 40), Boateg.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Källkvist; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião ©; Garrido, Lua-Lua; Morán; Hernández (Redondo 69), Notman.

Final score: Spartak Moskva 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Gavião

“…Official confirmation this evening from Cartagena that Señor Flatline has successfully negotiated the Bosman transfer of French defender Moustapha Keità. The 26 year old Frenchman has had little opportunity to play at Calgiari and is reportedly delighted to have agreed to the transfer to Cartagonova in the summer of 2007.â€

6th of December 2006

“…Hard on the heels of the news that Moustapha Keità will join the Cartagonova in the summer comes the announcement from Señor Dixie Flatline that Belgian keeper Jean-François Gillet will join the club on a Bosman free transfer from Atalanta. The 28 year old keeper, who has 17 international caps to his name, will make the move on 14th of June 2007, and will join a fight for the starting position in the Cartagonova line-up next season…â€

7th of December 2006

“…Mauro Esposito has announced that he will return to Italy and join Sampdoria on a Bosman free transfer on the 1st of July 2007…â€

9th of December 2006

“…Alberto Rivera will return to the capital after he announced that he has accepted the offer from Rayo Vallecano de Madrid. It will end his second spell at Cartagonova after he was instrumental in the club’s early years. Also in contract news from Cartagonova, Uruguayan legend and well-respected coach, Enzo Francescoli has signed a new contract that will tie him to the club until June 2011. Señor Dixie Flatline was very pleased to announce the signing of his new contract this afternoon to the media…â€

10th of December 2006

Primera Liga - Game 13: Numancia v Cartagonova

This should be a fairly comfortable victory, as Numancia are too obsessed in looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone to really trouble us. Then again, we are missing a few first team regulars from the side, so we can’t afford to be complacent about this game. But Alex Notman is definitely in the mood and he almost settles my nerves when he sends a bullet header towards the Numancia goal, but Ãlvaro Núñez does well to push the shot away for a corner. But when Cuéllar upends Morán for a free kick on 14 minutes, our resulting goal comes from an unlikely source - Shimon Gershon steps up to the plate to crash in a swerving free kick! icon_smile.gif Eight minutes later, Notman makes it 2-0 when he picks up the ball from Juan Hernández and fires in a drive that can’t be stopped by the Numancia keeper. I’m happy with the situation at the break - our superior skill and talent has been reflected on the scoresheet, while our defence has hardly been pressured in the first half. But this changes 9 minutes into the second half when Carlos Martins finds Óscar, and the Numancia striker halves our lead with a raking drive that Källkvist can’t do anything about. icon_frown.gif It looks like I need to reconsider my decision about the Numancia striker’s place in the Spanish squad if he keeps playing like this. But our two goal buffer is re-established six minutes later through Alex Notman, who takes Carl Laurie’s pass in his stride, fends off Gustavo’s close attention and then drills it beneath the Numancia keeper.

Philippe Mexès has worked hard in his training regime during the first half of the season, and I reward him with his debut appearance on 70 minutes as he takes to the field to replace Jukka Hakala. Jurico Vucko makes a rare appearance, replacing the subdued Fernando Morán at the same time. Källkvist pulls off a good double save to stop Numancia finding an unlikely way back into the game with 10 minutes to play, and then it’s all Cartagonova as we run rampant in the final stage of the game. Mexès sets free Ballesteros who draws the Numancia defence towards him before finding Garrido. The Spanish international has only one thing on his mind - scoring, and he does that with six minutes to play, making it 4-1 in our favour. And then to top off the game, Juan Hernández cheekily chips the Numancia keeper from 25 yards in injury time! icon_biggrin.gif

Numancia (4-5-1): Ãlvaro Núñez; Gustavo, Cuéllar (Lasa 58), Babangida, Rubio; Giannoutsko, Rúa (Agustín 79), Carlos Martins ©, Gorka (Reyes 70), Acuña; Óscar.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Källkvist; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala (Mexès 70), Ballesteros; Gavião ©; Garrido, Morán (Vucko 70); Clegg; Hernández, Notman.

Final score: Numancia 1:5 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

Alavés comes within three minutes of defeating Celta Vigo, but the resulting 2-2 draw allows us to join with Celta on 33 points. Our rival stays on top through dint of the fact we’ve conceded one more goal, but we still have a game in hand, and we’re the only unbeaten club, not only in the Primera Liga, but in all of Spain! Today’s match sets two records, one for the club and one personal. It is our fifteenth unbeaten game in all competitions since we lost to Rosenborg 1-0 in the Champions’ League, while it is also Alex Notman’s ninth man of the match award, beating the record shared by José Manuel Redondo and Fernando Couto. To top things off for the club, three players make the team of the week - Källkvist, Gavião and Notman - while Juan Hernández sits on the bench.

But we do lose Ballesteros for a match as he picked up his fifth yellow card in the league against Numancia, and that means a one-game suspension.

12th of December 2006

“…Vasco da Gama broke the three year run of European clubs winning the Toyota World Club Cup after they defeated Paris-Saint-Germain 3-0 in Tokyo. Winger Léo set the ball rolling for the Brazilians on 10 minutes, while former Brazilian international Juninho, who did not play for Middlesbrough, extended the lead on 40 minutes. Pedrosa finished off the French on 86 minutes with Vasco’s third goal…â€

14th of December 2006

I’m approached by a representative of Real Madrid after training this evening, and he presents me with an offer of £2.4 million for rebel Sabino. I consider the offer very carefully, but I hope to wring more out of Real Madrid than a paltry sum like what they have offered for him. Something more like £3 million would be appropriate for the former Coventry and Osasuna striker.

15th of December 2006

Real Madrid follow yesterday’s offer for Sabino with a £2.7 million offer for Gavião. This is rejected outright. No negotiations entered into on this wily Brazilian midfielder.

This morning, the Spanish transfer window opens, and PSV sign César, a member of my Spanish squad, for £13.75 million. Celta Vigo bolsters its defence by signing Lilian Thuram on a free transfer, Felix Dja Ettien from Real Madrid for £2.5 million and Eduardo Domínguez from Vélez Sarsfield for £3.2 million.

I pick up David Oliva for £7 million + £1 million after 10 international appearances from Rayo Vallecano. Djibril Diawara also joins the club from Lierse for £1.2 million.

Athletic Bilbao sign up Francisco Javier Jusué from Real Zaragoza for £2.1 million. Former Real Madrid defender drops a division to join Lleida for £1 million.

But Barcelona announce the biggest transfer for many a year when they unveil Italian international midfielder Matteo Brighi from Juventus for a whopping £39 million! icon_eek.gif

Argentine midfielder Nicolás Medina joins Real Madrid for £11.75 million. Espanyol unveil former River Plate winger Nelson Cuevas for £6 million.

To complete an exciting day off the pitch, we are drawn in the second round of the Copa del Rey, and we begin our defence of the crown with a trip to Málaga.

Dixie Flatline

Still unbeaten in the Liga in December icon_eek.gif, that is mighty fine play icon_smile.gif.

You seem to be on target for quite a lot of things this season....especially the title...

BTW, if you want a scout report in Ronning, you know where to look icon_wink.gif, I'd recommend him to you anyway... icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

Still unbeaten in the Liga in December icon_eek.gif, that is mighty fine play icon_smile.gif.

You seem to be on target for quite a lot of things this season....especially the title...

BTW, if you want a scout report in Ronning, you know where to look icon_wink.gif, I'd recommend him to you anyway... icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much ghostwriter. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the way we've played so far this season. But I hope that we haven't peaked too early, because I don't want to be leading the league at the end of December and finish only top four like we have in the past few seasons by the end of May. And we have to get through the semi-finals in the ECL before we can say we've done better in that competition than last year.

I'd love to purchase Ronning. He would be an excellent addition to our squad, but for some reason he is preferring to stay in a poor Segunda Liga club than come and join us. I just have to hope that his current club drops another division - then surely he won't want to play in the semi-professional league!

Cheers,

Dixie

Archived