"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"- A Malta Journey!!!

fm_16

Hello all, After reading many inspirational stories over here, I have decided to start one of my own. Hope you all enjoy this journey..... And special thanks to Claassen for the data update of Malta league.:applause:

What I want to achieve :- "Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit" - We will follow this quote. We don't know about champions cup. We don't know about Europa cup. Just we will never quit . With this motivation an unknown French coach joins a club in the lower reaches of Malta.

7f2dae17-a39c-4945-8548-b119e9e671e6_zpstesluaes.png

Marsaxlokk Football Club is a Maltese football club from the town of Marsaxlokk, which currently plays in the Maltese Third Division. The club was founded in 1949. Marsaxlokk won the Maltese Premier League title for the first time in their history, after finishing as league champions for the 2006–07 season. The club saw its golden days during 2003-2010. Having attached with some big names like Paul Gasgoigne ( Ex- England International ) , Chris Bart Williams ( Ex- Nott Forest ) and Nuno Gomes ( Ex- Boavista ) Marsaxlokk showed high ambition to do well in europe , But due to corrupt practices and mis-management , they lost their charm and now struggle for their foothold in this game. In 2014 due to financial woes they couldn't field enough players and hence requested to start again from 3rd division. Clubs in Malta play in shared ground so marsaxlokk play their home game in centenary stadium ( 2000 capacity ).

Meet the Manager:

Home_%20My%20Profile%20Profile_zpst2ccxooy.png

Lucas Gregor was born on 2nd feb 1990 in Paris. Having no real football experience and no continental qualification, he must be ambitious to take this job on the basis of few football manager gaming experience :D

Squad:

Squad_%20Players%20Players_zpsiy3gt8ju.png

Having first look at the sqaud it looks decent but soon I realized Darrell Grech and Darren Attard are out on loan and i cant recall them :(. The board wants us to finish solid mid table. I am expecting to do so as we can get relegated from this league its already a great achievement.

Facilities:

Marsaxlokk%20FC_%20%20Facilities_zpsjdjd1arv.png

The club has Basic training facility and poor youth facility and have basic junior coaching and youth recruitment. Facilities are good for this level and will improve as we advance through the save . Club has 72 season ticket so i hope couple hundred attendance will be ok for us now.

Finances:

Finances_%20Finances%20Summary_zps1ejn9are.png

WOW 2000$ in Bank ( I have more in mine :lol: ). At the start we are in black atleast that is a good thing. Transfer budget is 0 and payroll budget is 323$ per week. We are currently spending 100$ below budget so lets hope we can add some good names in our squad.

Best Player: Gary Caruana is by far our best player ( According to my crappy coaches ). he is good player for Maltese first division sides. He looks decent and I will build around him.

Gary%20Caruana_%20Overview%20Profile_zpswk4xffpd.png

Thats all for now ... I will do season wise update. wish me luck to take them to glory .:)

End of season review (2015-2016)

League table:

Division%203%20maltaise_%20Overview%20Stages_zpsblorti9i.png

WOW... we were phenomenal throughout season loosing just 1 game and drawing one game. At the start we were predicted to finish 12 out of 13 teams but the guys played really well. To be honest I started with bit complex tactic and was hoping they wont perform but against all odds they destroyed the league completely. Our wage budget was too small to get our own signings so i had to rely mostly on loan deals.

Matches:

Friendly Match

Capture2_zpslqwrarbl.png

We arranged friendly against weak teams from lower division and our division to boost morale before the league and we won 4 and drew 2 matches. One thing i noticed is here we get no money for scheduling friendly so no help to boost finances. That is why we scheduled away against weak teams. Gharb R and Qala S are lower division teams while Luqa , Mtarfa , Ta'Xbier and Mdina K are from our division. Solid performance against them gave huge boost to the team

Cup Competitions

Capture_zpsx0csrmwg.png

We played really well in cup. Board expectation was to be competitive but we defeated League side Kalkara and league 2 side Mgarr Utd before losing to Premier league side Baizan in third round. Though here no money is given in cup matches so its too had to manage finances in malta.

League

Capture1_zps3kdjyfnd.png

We completely outclassed others. Apart from losing to St Venera and drawing against Ghaxaq we played superb. In these 2 matches also we were far better but couldnt convert our chances. We scored 55 goals and conceded just 11. Its really nice to see lower league guys playing nice passing football.

End of season Awards :

Capture3_zps2y43xvei.png

Paolo Dandolo ( Loan from Sliema W ) played as right winger, Won the player of the season and young player of the season . He also won top goalscorer award and highest average rating for us this season. Most assist was given by our left wing back Zac Micallef and best passing rating to Roberto brincat playing at centre midfield.

Top 3 Players :

Paolo%20Dandolo_%20Overview%20Profile_zps96rx8xtp.png

Gary%20Caruana_%20Overview%20Profile_zps4wjpovtr.png

Roberto%20Brincat_%20Overview%20Profile_zpswez3cfsu.png

Transfer :

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History_zps9dbmpdkf.png

A lot of loan signings as our wage budget was around 320$ and no one wants less than 55$ so we can sign only 5 players on full time deal rest loan signings. Its really tough than i thought. For the next Season also we have 320$ in wage budget as our finances are bad. Lets hope to keep up next season.

Youth Intake:

Marsaxlokk%20FC%20Under%2021s_%20Team%20Players_zpsipodtnyk.png

It was good youth intake with few 5 star potential players. Though I cant afford youth contract for them ( It takes 40$ for youth contract) so we signed Ishmael attard , Luke Farrugia , Adrain Muscat, Dylan Brincat , and Andre Borg on non contract offer for now. Lets hope we can give them full contact before someone takes them away.

Finances:

Finances_%20Finances%20Summary_zpslwx6tfch.png

We are loosing money which is quite common in this level but my main worry is after spending 330$ for almost whole season still we are losing money. I dont know how to improve finances. My whole squad wage is 350 $ and my contract alone was of 675$ per week which is quite funny actually. Though I negotiated my contract down to 250$.

Good work on the start. Ever been to the place itself? Lovely little fishing village, they have a cracking sunday market.

Thanks buddy. No haven't been there but read some details about that place and the images looks awesome. Hope will move there some day.

End of season review (2016-2017)

League table: 2nd season

Maltese%20Second%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages_zpsulg8lvw8.png

We played great football and won the 2nd division of Malta. we won 19 games drawn 4 and lost just 3 scoring total of 59 goals( 4 goals more than last season) ,though we conceded 32 Goals ( 11 last season ) . We have to work on our defence as we are short of quality defenders. Marsaxlokk, Ghurghar and Gudja Utd are promoted to 1st division while Zejtun C , San Gwann and Marsa are relegated. We predicted to finish 4th and board wants us to finish top half but we performed better. Have to strengthen my team to survive next season.

Matches:

Friendly Match

Capture_zpsmlhx5tc0.png

Once again We arranged friendly against weak teams from lower division and our division to boost morale before the league and we won all 4 matches. There were not much competition against Dingli S and Gharb R as the are from lower league but the best sighting was match against Zabbar SP. they were predicted to finish 1st and we defeated them 5-1 on their ground.

Cup Competitions

Capture4_zpszd2rqrji.png

There is not much to say . We were pathetic in Cup, Losing to non league Qala S in 2nd round.

League

Capture1_zpsjtaq510o.png

Capture2_zps9gyykvsw.png

We did great start to the season with 13 games unbeaten run but then we hit slump. In January we only won 2 games out of 5. The defeat against Siggiewi was devastating. My players we running like headless chickens while they were banging goals. Then I had to tweak my tactic a little bit and we wee on track again.we won the league with 5 games remaining and my players started enjoying too much and got defeated in last match..

End of season Awards :

Capture6_zps4cj7o4sm.png

Stefano Cutajar, Playing at AMC position won the player of the season award. He is also our top scorer and got highest average rating ( 7.57 in 26 matches ). Gianiuca Aquallina ( ST ) made most assists while most passes done by Miguel vella ( MCR).

Top 3 Players :

Stefano Cutajar profile : http://imgur.com/5mitCjG

Gianiuca Aquallina Profile : http://imgur.com/WT98nRJ

Miguel vella Profile : http://imgur.com/q4kPhl4

Transfer :

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History_zpstj85rigb.png

At the start off the season , our wage budget was increased from 320$ to 2100$ per week. We signed few young players ready for 1st team and got some loans to to provide cover to 1st team. We also extended contract of five players of last year. Important signings are Miguel Vella from Zejtun , Aquallina from Msida J and Cutajar from Dingli S whereas Busuttil was great loan signing from Hibernians. there were no noticeable outgoing transfers.

Youth Intake:

Marsaxlokk%20FC%20Under%2021s_%20Team%20Players-2_zpset7yxlws.png

Poor Youth Intake in terms of current ability. though we got 7 5 star potential players but at this level potential ability does not make much difference. Signed the best ones on non contract basis and released others. We are not focusing on youths right now unless we are in premier division in regular basis.

Finances:

Finances_%20Finances%20Summary_zpswuwd5gvr.png

We lost another 21.3K this season.This sum is huge at this level and i cant figure how to manage finances. No money in cups , No money in friendlies , and less number of matches in leagues. We are spending least on player salaries even lower than some non league teams and still we are in Red . another matter of concern is my biggest expenditure is staff salaries. I need to streamline my expenses net season and hope for board takeover for debt clearance.

Next season update coming shortly...

Thanks buddy. No haven't been there but read some details about that place and the images looks awesome. Hope will move there some day.

Lovely laid back island is the way I'd describe it, really enjoyed going there (and Gozo too).

Great job so far, storming up the leagues! Good luck in the first division.

Like sc91 has said, Malta is absolutely beautiful and their language is one of the most fascinating in existence. (given it mixes Sicilian, Italian, English and North African/Arabic)

Archived