I'm Going On A World Wide Adventure!

andychar

Union_san_felipe.jpg

January 2026

I made three new signings, registered them and was happy they were going to see me over the finish line.

However! Turns out when it came to choosing my squad for the opening game of the season I couldn't play these three new signings, as they had already played for a team this season.

I was left very confused and bitter, I had made a bit of room for them because 2 of them weren't Chilean, meaning I had no choice but to play my reserve GK for the rest of the season. This rule hadn't taken place last season so I was very confused.

Anyway I had to make the best of a bad situation and hope and pray I wasn't hit with many injuries in the Closing Stage of the season.

QkSDNk.png

I had a good start to the Closing Stage.

2 home wins and a very good away point against the team chasing me.

NsJ68f.png

That draw meant it was as you were at the top of the table.

I wasn't focused on the playoffs this time I was just concentrating on making sure I held onto that top spot after 30 games.

It was going to be a 2 horse race.

Union_san_felipe.jpg

February 2026

We were top but only by 3 points, we wanted 1 of 2 things to happen either;

1) Carry on winning that way Rangers (CHI) can't catch up

2) Rangers (CHI) to have a massively negative month to take the pressure off us.

iOEGDp.png

Well we kept up our end of the deal. Started off the month with a home draw against a team who were pushing for the playoffs themselves. Following that up with back to back wins ensured we would finish the month top no matter what Rangers (CHI) do.

TdZOd1.png

Amazingly Rangers (CHI) had bottled it. 3 straight defeats for February and all of a sudden we were 12 points clear with 8 games to go. It would take a major slip up not to win the league from this position.

Union_san_felipe.jpg

March 2026

With us holding a big 12 point lead with 8 games to go it was important we didn't lose our heads and kept full concentration heading into the final two months of the season.

nA1TP2.png

We did keep full concentration, we didn't lose our heads and we managed to pick up 11 points from a possible 15 in the month of March. This lead to...

XK53X9.png

We won the league with 4 games to spare.

XUnIUN.png

Rangers (CHI) who had ran us close during the Opening Stage and were only denied by penalties weren't even going to make the playoffs for the closing stage.

The winner of the Closing Stage playoffs would join us in promotion, but first we had 3 games to go and with the record points tally of 66 in our sights I didn't want them to take their foot of the pedal just yet.

Union_san_felipe.jpg

April 2026

With not a lot to play for going into the final month we could be forgiven for a few bad results.

lQP0dq.png

A perfect way to finish what has been a brilliant season.

Those 3 wins lead to this lovely message.

1uusT3.png

(Despite it saying 69 we actually finished on 72, this screenshot was taken before the last game).

VkpSI3.png

We had not only won the league but we had walked it, finishing a full 17 points clear of our nearest rival. We were the only team to perform during both Stages of the season and that's what ultimately won it for us.

Cue the awards.

OV0q4h.png

So the fans player of the season was once again RB Valenzuela.

9P6VpM.png

But he didn't win Player of the Season, that went to our signing of the season Ramos. Valenzuela did manage 3rd.

Only person left to congratulate was me...

OvXWV3.png

Oh.

I don't know who I had upset but winning the league and breaking the points record obviously didn't merit manager of the year. That went to the guy who won the Closing Stage playoff (never mind the fact he didn't need to win a promotion playoff because I had already been promoted...not that I'm bitter or anything).

There was only one thing left to do.

J9j3Vm.png

This was a really tough decision. I could have signed a new contract and taken the team into the First Division but I decided that it might be easier getting a job in the US without them worrying about any compensation.

So with that decision I was officially unemployed for the first time in this career. No Domestic team and no International side...hopefully not for long.

Season   |      Club        |  Nation  |   League         |    Position                   | Other 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16  | East Bengal FC   |   India  |  I League        |       1st                     | Confederation Cup Winner
2016/17  | East Bengal FC   |   India  |  I League        |       1st                     | Domestic Clean Sweep  
2017/18  | East Bengal FC   |   India  |  I League        |       1st                     | Super Cup and Conf. Cup Winner
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  | Al Kharaitiyat   |   Qatar  |  Q League        |       1st                     | Promoted as Champions
2019/20  | CD Victoria      | Honduras | Liga National    |     2nd/2nd                   | Opening Stage Champion 
2020/21  | CD Victoria      | Hondruas | Liga National    |  6th when Resigned            | N/A
2021/22  | Infonet          | Estonia  |  Meisrilliga     |       1st                     | Estonia Cup Winners
2022/23  | Infonet          | Estonia  |  Meisrilliga     |  7th when resigned            | Only lasted 4 games of the season
2023     | KR               | Iceland  |  Úrvalsdeild     |       3rd                     | Upper League Cup Winners, Europa League Qualification 
2024     | KR               | Iceland  |  Urvalsdeild     |       1st                     | N/A
2024/25  | Union San Felipe | Chile    | First Division B | 11th Overall 15th OS 4th CS   | Took over in December
2025/26  | Union San Felipe | Chile    | First Division B | 1st Overall 1st OS 1st CS     | Opening Stage Playoff Winners, Record Points for Season

Summer of 2026

So I hadn't qualified for the World Cup with Qatar and I didn't have a job. I was free to enjoy the summer.

Unfortunately it rained all summer and I was left watching the World Cup thinking what could have been!

Luckily several nations had disappointing World Cups which left more than 10 countries without a manager. I applied for every single one. After a few days I had a decision to make.

WJ4gc2.png

ga7PYG.png

qRFAmq.png

Yes out of 10 countries only 3 actually wanted me. One the plus side 3 countries wanted me!

Romania was out the running straight away, I wanted to win trophies to try and improve my reputation. I couldn't see me doing that with Romania.

This left either Egypt or Nigeria. It was literally a flip of a coin, both were 5 from 5 in the African Cup of Nations Qualifying meaning either way I would be there.

SFeqkc.png

In the end I went with my gut and chose Egypt. The African Cup of Nations take place in 2027 meaning it could be a very short appointment if I don't exceed expectations.

Next up was attempting to find a job in the MLS.

Years in Charge |  National Side  |  Honours
2018            |    Qatar U23    |  Asian Games - Runner Up      
--------------------------------------------------------------   
2019-2025       |      Qatar      |  WAAF - Winner
	|		  |	    Runner Up x2
	|		  |  Asian Cup - Runner Up   
--------------------------------------------------------------
2026-           |     Egpyt       |

220px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png

Build up and the African Cup of Nations

So I had taken on the Egypt job to fill the void between Chile and the USA. I had one game to win to qualify for the African Cup of Nations.

RFkz9C.png

We qualified with no problems, 2-0 flattered them as we battered them for 90 minutes. I decided to set up a few revenge friendlies. Naturally I wanted to get some retribution against Qatar....a last minute equaliser spared my blushes.

I wanted revenge over Saudi Arabia after they beat me in the final of the WAAF. I felt much better at the full time whistle!

We finished off 2026 in positive mood following a successful friendly run.

jvwlDI.png

The draw came out for the African Cup of Nations and I was confident of getting through to the quarter finals.

BUo1KY.png

We had two good results in the warm up games and went into the tournament full of confidence.

It took 8 minutes for that confidence to disappear. An 8th minute own goal was the last thing we needed. We dominated the game but were unable to break down a stubborn Senegal defence.

The 2nd game was straight forward as we got the win that was expected of us. The bad news was that South Africa and Senegal drew meaning we were 3rd on 3 points with those two on 4 points. We needed to win the last game.

The South Africa game was 90 minutes of attack. We slaughtered them from start to finish but were unable to create any decent chances. It was stupid shot after stupid shot with the odd good save thrown in.

4VdocA.png

Despite the fact the only goal we conceded in the tournament was an own goal we had been knocked out with 4 points.

It had left a very bitter taste in my mouth and for the first time in this save I was angry, very angry.

HCSmp7.png

This was very much a case of jumping before I was pushed.

The whole 6 month stint at Egypt was filled with disappointing performances and players rejecting call ups because I hadn't picked them the first time. Like I said it all left a bitter taste in my mouth. It would take a special job for me to even think twice about taking up another International job any time soon.

On the plus side in the meantime I had found a MLS job...

So during the disappointment of the African Cup of Nations I actually had another job to keep me occupied so lets back track slightly.

I had won a league in Chile (albeit the 2nd tier) which meant I could cross that country off the list and add a new one.

CeUqcD.png

It meant saying goodbye to Chile and hello to Zambia. My first African league. But before I could even think of Zambia, the MLS would have to be won as well as something in Mexico.

So off to the States I went looking for a job.

Patrick Viera who was manager of DC United left to go to Chelsea after a certain Mr Mourinho retired. I applied, got an interview but was unsuccessful.

So I waited...and waited...and waited...nothing was coming up. Just when I was about to accept I was going to be here for the long haul another job came up.

Ty0GMo.png

I really thought hard about weather or not to attend the interview. They were in trouble, 20th out of 20 and miles behind everybody else. It was literally starting the MLS journey at rock bottom.

m62tUo.png

In the end it was a few things that persuaded me to take the job.

1) It was only the 2nd job that had come available and the first thanks to a firing rather than a manager choosing to leave.

2) Even the worst team in the league was classed as a "step up" in terms of reputation.

3) It was a foot in the door. The rules say I have to win a trophy the board deem important. It doesn't say I have to do it with the first club I manage in the country.

So with those thoughts your now looking at the new manager (no sorry) new head coach of...

201px-Colorado_Rapids_logo.svg.png

End of MLS 2026 Season

So just how bad were the Colorado Rapids?

gbqzsC.png

On the face of it they didn't have a bad team. A closer look shows the lack of strength in depth, especially in the Centre of defence and midfield.

Another worrying sign was all the blue names, our best player in most positions were on loan. I would either have to replace these people or try and get them on loan for another season.

0loCm5.png

Finances aren't a problem, but they never were going to be. With wage caps in place it makes no difference to me if the club has £14million or 14p. I was going to be limited in how much I can physically spend.

SgaSlF.png

The club were 10th in the Conference and 20th in the Supporters Shield which translation means they were the worst team in the league.

I was going to be up against it.

I had 3 games to try and at least prove I had what it takes to turn the club around.

I was heavily beaten by Portland 4-1 in my first game.

I came away with a very impressive 3-0 victory away to Dallas in game number 2.

My first home game and last game of the season finished with a narrow 2-1 defeat against Seattle which could have gone either way.

So I had won 1 and lost 2. 2 decent performances however had made me think that things could be turned around next season.

It was going to be a busy and stressful offseason.

Preparation for the 2027 MLS Season

After taking a break from International Management following the embarrassing 6 months at Egypt I had no distractions heading into the new MLS Season.

First up I planned wholesale changes. I needed to bring in some fresh blood.

fYQ8h5.png

My first signing was a young Irish centre back who was playing in the Irish league for Shamrock Rovers. At 300k he cost me more than I wanted to spend but I was desperate to get some young blood in the team and this guy fitted the bill perfectly. With 6 caps under his belt already he could provide some experience despite his young age.

jnIwyf.png

Rinaldi comes to me after scoring 80 goals in 142 appearances for Benfica. He is one of my designated players and will hopefully fire us up the table. A bargain from the free transfer market.

X2oPbC.png

Byrne was another young Irish player I took a punt on. Another who cost me more than I wanted to pay at 250k. He is young and once against comes with International experience. Hopefully he will turn out not to be a flop!

E4fsIX.png

He comes to us on loan from FC Schalke 04 and shows great promise. He is one of our best defenders and hopefully will stop us conceding sloppy goals which I saw at the end of the previous season.

2dhMdS.png

Mitchell was brought in with the future very much in mind. I can see myself in the US for a number of years and Mitchell has the potential to be a powerful defender for us in the future. Not to mention the 37 caps he has despite only being 20!

PEykL6.png

Another on loan from a German club, this time Hertha Berlin. He is young and offers something we don't already have, pace in midfield.

tSWRU1.png

Another free midfielder bought in to give me strength in depth in a position historically my teams have fallen weather through injuries or suspensions.

xvBgG9.png

He was my pick in the MLS Superdraft therefore number 1 pick overall. I will be keeping a close eye on his development.

So all the chopping and changing has left the squad looking like this.

EFfCeV.png

I am content with the keeper for the time being. My attention has been on improving the spine of the squad. We have strength in depth in defence apart from maybe at RB. My centre mid 3 look solid with some decent young back up. My attacking midfield would need improvement in the future. I'm happy with my striking choices. I only ever play one striker so baring a complete crisis I should be fine.

fKI3ZC.png

It would seem the press think I will have a better season predicting me to finish 8th. I would be happy with that because it would mean we are likely there or thereabouts for playoffs come the end of the regular season.

The board want Mid-table in both the Conference (so 5th) and the Supporters Shield (so 10th). I think I can deliver but there will be pressure on me to start getting result ASAP. The first few months will be critical!

I won't be updating for a week because I'm heading off on Holiday.

Hopefully people are enjoying the updates.

I appreciate any feedback weather it positive or negative.

Thanks for reading!

Archived