Work Permit for lower league english clubs

I just bought a player for the division below conference north/south who had been playing regularly for Corinthian Casuals. I signed him assuming the work permit had gone through but it was only after I found out it had been rejected. How was he already playing in England without a work permit? and more importantly what can I do now that he's in my squad?

thanks all:confused:

Corinthian Casuals are an amateur club irl, as such the player would not need a work permit to play for them as he was not getting paid.

There are also a number of players in the database that start at English clubs who can't get work permits. This is likely because the researcher can't find proof either way between whether a youth player (usually) with Canadian nationality (for example) has a work permit or a second nationality making him eligible.

I've always believed that from the Championship down all clubs should only be able to bring in "HG" players.

Foreigners in the Premier is fair enough but not the second tier down.

That said in answer to the original question. The rules changed a couple of seasons ago for work permits. You are given a permit for the duration of the contract. After that if you do not qualify for a work permit then tough. Even if he is with the same club you paid £10m for. If he wouldn't qualify for a work permit you cannot renegotiate his next contract. Came as an annoying shock when I wasn't allowed to even offer a contract to one of our own players that I had high hopes for.

Archived