Help with building 4-4-2 narrow diamond

Hi,

I have been playing FM for a number of years now and have mostly liked playing 4-3-2-1 formation tactics downloaded from various places. However I really enjoy watching diamond formations IRL and I though I might try and replicate it to the best of my ability on FM. Neeldess to say I am not doing to well, and from my reading here on these forums it seems to be a common trend with such a narrow formation.

I have trialed with good success two other narrow formations which I have downloaded. I am wanting to try and make my own attacking diamond, that I fully understand how it works and how it should work so I can use it as a basis for coming to an understanding of Football tactics.

With this formation I could be way off the mark as I have tried things I have not seen in any 4-4-2 thus far, or maybe I have simply not found a tactic with similar positions. Maybe there is a good reason for this and I am doing something completely stupid which is the niggling feeling that I have because things are a bit up and down with its success rate at the moment.

Before I discuss my goal of the tactic here are the pictures.

TeamInstructions02_zpsxwohaefk.jpg

Overview01_zpsqxt0osr8.jpg

TeamInstructions01_zpsqy7g2fls.jpg

I have the following player instructions set for each position;

GK -

CWBL - More Direct Passes, Run Wide With Ball, Close Down Much More

CB L - NONE

CB R - NONE

WBR - More Direct Passes, Run Wide With Ball

RGA - NONE

BBM - Pass It Shorter, Cross More Often, Run Wide With Ball, Close Down Much More

RPM - Shoot Less Often, Mark Tighter, Pass It Shorter, Run Wide With Ball, Close Down Much More

SS - Pass It Shorter, Run Wide With Ball, Close Down Much More

CF R - Roam From Position, Pass It Shorter, Run Wide With Ball, Close Down Much More

AF L - Shoot More Often, Close Down Much More

So the main goal of this tactic is to play from the backline and either go through the wings or the middle of the park who will then take the ball wide in order to create space. I am then wanting the attacking 3 to be free to work together to create the space needed to score goals that is provided either by the wingers or through balls from the middle.

I think I already know some of the weaknesses are but I am posting this here to see from you clever people where I am either fundamentally going wrong or where I need a few tweaks.

I want to thank everyone and anyone who gives any advice or tips to me and I also hope this thread may not just help me but others as well!

Thanks,

Daniel.

Just an observation, but I can see where you might have a bit of a gap between midfield and attacking strata- something you might keep an eye on as you play. You'll need to be sure your SS is dropping back enough to link up play and one of your CMs is consistently providing a link from the defense up to midfield. It might play well, but at first glance, I would suggest that as something to look at as you play through a few matches.

Yes I have noticed he does drop back quite a bit which is good, but if as you say happens in a particular game. Should I change his position to say AP/A?

The AP(A) will stay fairly high up generally. I would look at a support role of some sort if he isn't getting deep, or, you could look at the two CMs and see if you can one of them pushing forward a bit more. You could go at it either way, really.

The AP(A) will stay fairly high up generally. I would look at a support role of some sort if he isn't getting deep, or, you could look at the two CMs and see if you can one of them pushing forward a bit more. You could go at it either way, really.

Great point, thanks for the tip mate!

Also I do notice my consistency to keep ball possession is generally not quite so good, not that that entirely matters because it's what they do with the possession that truly matters, whilst that is true for goalscoring and I don't want to disrupt my free-flowing creative attacking football that I love watching in FM. I do want to alleviate some of the pressures that my Defense comes under due to lack of possession. However I don't know which way to tighten up the defense, the obvious way it seems is making RGA a HB or Anchor. I am thinking I will make change on that end depending on how the game is going, or is there some specific team instructions or should I be playing with a different mentality that compliments a lack of possession such as counter-attack?

Archived