EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience)

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting for that banner, Ben icon_wink.gif

Boro continue their march up the league table, with dynamic young manager Richard Liggins continuing to impress. The March manager of the month award, in his 1st month in the job, is testimony to his talents.

The latest results...

Boro 2-1 Wigan

Like the recent home match against Fulham, this game was far more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. After Yakubu and Ashton fired Boro into a healthy lead, the visitors pulled a late goal back to give the home side a few nervy moments towards the end.

Newcastle 2-2 Boro

With Newcastle challenging for the title, Boro could've done without manager Richard Liggins being missing for this match. As it was, the assistant did more than a good job, as Boro dominated the game and should've won easily, but a defensive slip let Newcastle into a 2-1 lead before Boro could level later on.

Boro 2-0 West Ham

Again, a comfortable home win, Yakubu bagging them both.

Upto 9th with outside chance of 7th, which could be enough for a UEFA spot, depending on who wins the FA Cup. The Boro bandwagon keeps on rolling along.

Sunderland_Diprose.jpg

Points!! icon_eek.gif

A really bad run got quite a lot worse really, but things always have to get worse before they can get better, I say icon_wink.gif

24th February 2008, 15:00

League Cup Final, Wembley

Arseanl 2

Reyes 37, 42

Sunderland 0

The game opened evenly, and centre back Kamara missed a sitter inside 20 minutes. After that, it was one way traffic and, although Arsenal could have won by a much greater margin, it could also have been much closer. I just wonder what could have been, had Markel and Rossi been fit, and Aguero and Custodio not cup-tied, but alas it was not to be, but we'll be back..

27th February 2008, 19:30

Chlelsea 3

Owen 22

Vucinic 54

Gudjohnsen 81

Sunderland 0

A one-sided game had a one-sided final score, although three goals flattered the home side. It left morale in the Sunderland camp battered, the board unhappy, and me insecure in my position as manager.

1st March 2008, 15:00

Sunderland 0

Aston Villa 1

Paul 72

Leao is coming under fire after his recent performances in goal, and showed why today. An even, if thoroughly boring game looked to be heading for a 0-0, until a long ball was hit forward by the Aston Villa defence following a corner. Leao came out 30 yards, a simple clearnace should follow - but noooooo, he retreats when it was easier to smack it. He goes back ten yards and then, just seconds before Paul reached the ball, he comes out again, and was lobbed from 30 yards. Twat.

9th March 2008, 15:00

Liverpool 3

Cissé 12, 51

Podolski 17

Sunderland 1

Sousa 81

Arca had a howler at left back, my normally solid and reliable captain was run ragged and his efforts were well below my expectations. Only positive from this game, was that we scored, for the first time in several matches, with Sousa firing home a consolation freekick 10 minutes from time.

15th March 2008, 15:00

Sunderland 1

Lawrence 39

Manchester United 3

Ronaldo 42, 47

Rooney 49

Trejo had the best opening opportunity after a Brown error, but couldn't capitalise. A great team move, through Kamara, Trejo, Rossi, Aguero and finished by Lawrence gave the home side a deserved 1-0 lead, but it was short lived, as the overrated numpty Ronaldo rose highest above the defence to head home. A shambles following the break ensued, with Ronaldo heading home his second and Rooney, another overrated nonce, firing in a freekick. Board unhappy again, typical.

22nd March 2008, 15:00

Bolton 2[/i]

Vaz Te 50

Peirone 85

Sunderland 1

Kuqi 81

Arca and Leao gifted Bolton the win, after Sunderland had rallied and fought hard to equalise. A point should have been the most Bolton deserved, but Sunderland's luck is non-existant lately, and instead of the 3 points we deserved, we got none.

24th March 2008, 15:00

Charlton 4

Huntelaar 7, 36

Babic pen. 53

Soares 61

Sunderland 4

Rossi 16, 40

Whitehead 72

Viduka 80

A hugely entertaining, high scoring draw at the Valley saw Charlton take 3 leads, and be pegged back 3 times. A crappy start saw Huntelaar net after good work, but then a neat break saw Rossi run clear and he sweetly chipped home. However, another terrible goal was conceded, before Rossi bettered his first lob with a sublime second from 25 yards, with the keeper barely off his line, to level for the second time. After the break, Charlton looked to have sealed the game by going 4-2 up, after a penalty conceded by Lawrence and converted by Babic, and then a cockup on the wing from Lawrence again, gifting the ball to Soares who had an age to pick his spot from 25 yards. angryfire.gif However, after two inspired subs in the form of Whitehead and Viduka, Sunderland netted twice to draw level and, in the end, Charlton were lucky to hold on to a point, against the odds. Eyyyy!

29th March 2008, 15:00

Sunderland 3

Kuqi 31, 71, 76

Southampton 0

Prutton sent off 88

There were few openings in the first half, but Kuqi poached one to give Sunderland the lead, before Makélélé went close. An excellent move put the game beyond Southampton, with numerous passes being strung smoothly together, culminating in Trejo teeing up Kuqi to tap home for his second goal. Sousa played his part in ensuring a rout, firing in an excellent goal from deep on the left, that Kuqi ran onto and threw himself at, his diving header leaving the defence and keeper standing as he completed a magnificent hattrick. To make matters worse for Southampton, David Prutton was sent off at the death, and we ran out deserved winners.

Morale is on the up, Aguero was named young player of the month, the board is happy, and my job is once more safe. icon_smile.gif

5th April 2008, 15:00

Leeds 1

Nacho Rodrigues 90

Sunderland 1

Rossi 41

The opening goal came as a result of Swerts hitting the post for Leeds, and Kargbo cleared and the ball worked its way to Kuqi, who did excellently to open the defence and lay the ball back to Rossi, who couldn't miss. Leao was solid in goal, stopping everything, and Rossi, who hit the post, and Aguero blasted a shot right at the keeper following a corner, but the game couldn't be finished off and Leeds got lucky as some foreign gimp netted in injury time. angryfire.gif Still, performances are getting more encouraging icon_smile.gif

12th April 2008, 15:00

Sunderland 2

Kuqi 64

Viduka 79

Tottenham 2

Tardelli 38, 71

I was not at all confident going into this game, with Rossi ineligible, and knowing my track record against the spuds. Tardelli took advantage of an unbelievable error from Kargbo, netting from 50 yards, but Arca did well in disposessing Ifil and knocking it in for Kuqi to equalise in another defensive cockup. Tardelli finished his second off well, although the only TARD on the pitch was Kelvin Davis in goal, who f***ed up to allow him in. However, Viduka did well to equalise, and in a frenetic finish to the match, sub Defoe (yeah, that short f*** who loves to score against me) actually missed a one on one!!!!! and then Viduka saw a lob when through on goal go agonisingly wide. I don't really care though, I DIDN'T LOSE TO PAGI!! HUZZAHHHHHHHHH!

Only problem now is that my two first choice keepers are out injured, and it looks as though I'll have to use a reserve keeper, who is crap, to see the season out.

Despite this, I'm hoping for a solid finish to the season, to get as much prize money in as possible.

On the Mackems... icon_wink.gif

The final 3 games of the campaign:

Portsmouth 1-0 Boro

All outside hopes of Europe disappeared here, as Portsmouth sneaked a fortunate 1-0 win, despite Boro being the better side.

Boro 3-0 Charlton

The disappointment of the previous game was quickly eradicated, as Mendieta and Yakubu put the home side two up after only 10 minutes, and when Mbesuma made it three before the break, the game was already over.

Boro 2-0 Arsenal

With the Arsenal fighting to stay in the Champions league places and Boro already assured of a 9th place finsh, the GUnners were overwhelming favourites for this clash. But Boro played them off the park with a great performance, Yakubu grabbing both goals either side of the break, to deny Arsenal a finish in the top 4.

Well it should've done, if Pagi's Spurs hadn't bottled it icon_wink.gif

In the end a 9th place finish is a great acheivment, made to look better considering we were only 18 points off top spot. If Man Ure win the Champions league, then an Intertoto spot will be ours, but I'm not sure if that will be to our advantage, as having free reign to concentrate on the league next season might be better for the club. The form in the past 12 or so weeks has been brilliant, and the performances have been equally as good. If a few quality players can come in to replace those going out (and there are plenty on the way out, most of whom are on ridiculously high wages, explaining why the club is £350k p/m over the wage budget and was £9.3mil in debt before the prize money for 7th place was awarded. Once again, a big shout to Joe, previous Boro boss, for his sterling work in charge icon_wink.gif ) then we could well push for the top next season. Personally, next season I'll be aiming for a UEFA cup spot and a decent cup run.

Up the Boro! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ligs:

to deny Arsenal a finish in the top 4.

Well it should've done, if Pagi's Spurs hadn't bottled it icon_wink.gif

Up the Boro! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look I just manager the team, the players are on the field they ****ING bottled it icon_frown.gif

Sunderland_Diprose.jpg

Points! icon_eek.gif And lots of them! icon_eek.gif

A quality session provided the basis for an excellent end to the season for Sunderland, winning all three remaining games, and missing out on an unlikely 12th place by a whisker as Pagi's Spurs bottled it icon_wink.gif.

First up, we the Mackems went south, to the crappy part of London in which Fulham resides, also known as Fulham, believe it or not..

19th April 2008, 15:00

Fulham 0

Sunderland 2

Sousa 41

Trejo 90+2

-Kargbo sent off 21

Fulham started much the better side, going with a 3-4-3 formation that stretched my defence to the limit; how Bowditch and Portillo didn't score is beyond me. Kargbo did not help the pressure, catching Bowditch when through on goal, and seeing red as a result. However, changing formation to a 3-4-2 covered this loss very well, nullifying the threat of the three strikers, and Sousa reacted first after Johnsen could only parry a Rossi shot to slot home. Minutes later, Rossi should have added a second but placed his shot agonisingly wide, and just after the break, Sousa scraped the paint off the woodwork with a fizzing freekick. Fulham piled on the pressure, and in the dying stages, with Fulham keeper Johnsen up for a corner, the ball was cleared to Trejo who scored from the halfway line to seal the points. Considering it was with ten men for the majority of the match, I was delighted with the result and performance.

27th April, 15:00

Sunderland 1

Rossi 10

Birmingham 0

An early cockup at right back by the notorious icon_wink.gif Melchiot put Rossi through on goal, and he made no mistake, sliding the ball home under the Brum keeper. Following this, we began to dominate the match, especially in midfield, and Aguero did well to make space for himself in a crowded penalty area, but headed a good Arca cross straight at the keeper. Those 'dirty f***ers' in blue hacked Markel down and out, and I was forced to play Dean Whitehead in an unfamiliar holding role; however, he did excellently there. Rossi could have scored a second following a good break away, Whitehead nearly scored a great lob but hit it just too hard, and then Sousa managed to miss an open goal from 6 yards out icon_confused.gif . The second half was a much more even affair, yet erratically end to end. Aguero hit the bar, whilst Alnwick, my reserve keeper with *****!! stats, had a stormer in goal, to allow Sunderland to cling on to a memorable victory. icon_smile.gif

Rossi was named Young Player of the Month for April, with Markel's contribution in place of the injured Custodio acknowledged by coming third in the same competition: two Sunderland winners for the Young Player of the month award in a row, is a great testimony to a great run of form for them.

4th May 2008, 16:00

Everton 1

Beattie 49

Sunderland 2

Rossi 13

Sousa 43

Everton started the game very well, pressing forward and having the majority of chances and posession. However a Rossi free kick, which keeper Krul got a hand to but couldn't keep out, gave us a suprise lead, against the run of play. The goal acted as a catalyst, as we came into the game more, with Kuqi testing Krul from a Sousa cross, forcing a good save. The tremendous Rossi went off injured 5 minutes before the break, being replaced by the great prospect that is Oscar Trejo, who has carried himself well in the league so far. Sousa soon added a second goal from another freekick, guiding it into the top right of the goal from 25 yards to stun the home fans. There was no way we deserved to be two up at half-time, let alone up at all, but hey, I'm not one to complain icon_wink.gif. Everton came out determined, and Beattie quickly pulled one back after some good passing. We should have put the game beyond Everton, but Krul was excellent in goal, and deserved his MoM award, and we ran the game out as deserved winners.

skylogo_default.gif

So, Steve, a good season?

Yeah, I'd say so, overall. The board is quite happy that once again the side stayed well clear of the relegation zone, and the fans seem very happy too.

For you?

Well I came into the side midway through the season, and have been happy with the performance since then. The team did excellently in getting into the Carling Cup Final, and I guess my only down-sides to the season were the poor run of form following the Final defeat, and also the poor showings against the bigger sides, such as Liverpool, Chelsea, United and so on. We did our very best towards the end, and a 12th place finish was only denied because of a completely crap showing against Charlton by Pagi icon_wink.gif ..

What are you hoping for next season?

I hope to take Sunderland forward again; tenth place is not beyond us, and even a top ten finish could be on the cards. I could do with some considerable transfer funds to bring in a top-notch keeper, and also a striker in the Spanish league who has had a great season, to bolster the team, as it looks as though a number of the older faces are on their way out come July. A couple of defenders are already confirmed, as are a few young prospects in the game.

And what do you think of Fulham's downfall?

They deserve it icon_wink.gif . Seriously. I really hope that Al-Fayed leaves now; a fresh board of directors and a new Chairman is essential if they are to come back up next season: I myself will be looking into some of their players that will undoubtedly be cheaper now they've been relegated icon_smile.gif

Well, thanks for your time, Steve, and best of luck for pre-season and the season ahead.

Cheers.

---------------

I will now go over some of my transfer dealings...

Players In:

<LI> Gino Mommers - 19-year old PSV goalkeeper, looks to have some excellent stats and I hope will become a big player for us. He will cost us £110,000, rising to £425,000 over 24 months.

<LI> André Ohlsson - 18-year old Malmo FF striker that is good in the air and good mentally, to hopefully add a new dimension to our strikeforce. He will cost £200,000, rising to as much as £750,000.

<LI> Alexander Smith - 19-year old Chesham central defender, recommened by my chief scout to have a very bright future, and I played by ear here, paying £250,000 for him.

<LI> Lucas Rocha - Lucas is another central defender, purchased for his release clause value of £350,000 from Cruzeiro, despite being worth over a million already. He has some excellent defensive stats for his age, having just turned 18, and I am hoping that he will get even better with time.

<LI> Edgar Martinez - A third, although this time slightly more experienced 20-year old centre back, again with some excellent qualities, who will push Watt and Kamara, my current DC's. He was brought in on a Bosman from Libertad.

<LI> Jefferson Farfan - I am delighted with this capture, a 23-year old who is at home on the left and also up front, and was being trailed by numerous clubs across Europe, is coming in on a Bosman from PSV.

<LI> Henri Saivet - Henri is a promising 17-year old striker, scouted out and I snapped him up with my third Bosman, from Bordeaux.

<LI> Bakhtiyor Ismoilov - Bakhtiyor was another scout reccomendation for me, and will be joining from Traktor Toshkent for a nominal fee of £10,000. Able to play in central midfield or on the right, I feel that this 20-year old could be big, with the right training and nurturing.

Players Out:

<LI> Noé Pamarot - Moving to Ligs at Middlesborough for £250,000, rising to £420,000, although 15% of this will go to Spurs.

<LI> Jimmy Juan - Jimmy never cut it at Sunderland, and is moving to Fulham for a bargain £300,000.

<LI> Aidan Collins - He never broke into the first team here, and I was not going to hold back when Pompey stepped forward with a bid of £230,000, and future incentives.

<LI> Andy Gray - Andy was never a regular, and was very unhappy about this; thus I allowed him to leave on a Bosman to Lincoln, where I hope he can revive his career.

And so the season is over, but exciting times lie ahead when the transfer window opens, and I look forward to working with my new signings. icon_smile.gif

liverpool.gif

Liverpool unbeaten from mid Febuary to finish the season in 2nd place

Murphy's boys come home in 2nd place in the Premiership guaranteeing Champions League football once again next season for the Merseyside Reds. After the humbling defeat to Charlton where it looked as if the mecurial Murphy would fail to see out the season, I was thankful for the patience of the Liverpool chairman David Moores, as he thus far has resisted pressure from the fans to eject me permanently from the managers chair. However, going on such a momentus run temporarily re-ignited faint hopes that Liverpool could yet snatch the title from "financially doped" Chelsea, but it wasn't to be as Chelsea held their nerve and edged us out by 5 points.

Here's a selection of results from Murphy's undefeated run run of seven wins and five draws which put the smile back on my face.

{b]FA Barclycard Premiership[/b]

Southampton 0 - 0 Liverpool

A very poor result against strugglers Southampton didn't point towards much hope of Murphy staying in the hotseat much longer.

Liverpool 3 - 1 Leeds Leeds Leeds

Nice win for the boys...

Totteringham 1 - 4 Liverpool

Pagi's impressive Spurs side totally outplayed on their own patch with Cisse on fire grabbing two goals. Ever since then pagi has been posting derogatory remarks about my striker all over the EPL. One can see why. icon_wink.gif Lucas Podolski clipped home a beautiful lob and Gerrard hit a scorcher to round off easily Liverpool's best performance of the season. Perhaps an early sign that under Pagi, Spurs have no bottle. icon_wink.gif

Birmingham 2 - 2 Liverpool

Came very close to losing this one when Riise was sent off with 5 minutes to go and Liverpool trailing 2-1. Would love to say that I piled everyone forward and got the equaliser but I didn't as we were already at 3 at the back when Riise was unfairly dismissed for sneezing on big poof Heskey. However, Birmingham left a gap down the right side of their defence and one long through ball to Cisse caught them cold, the French striker finishing with his accustomed accuracy.

Everton 2 - 2 Liverpool

First Merseyside derby against new Everton gaffer Craig Collinson and once again a late equaliser from Gerrard this time saved our skins for an unlikely defeat.

Man City 1 - 2 Liverpool

Three days after Man City beat us in the FA Cup semi final we got our revenge against this seasons surprise outfit. With both clubs still hoping a Chelsea slip up would let us in for the title, this was a must win game. Unfortunately, I've deleted the pkms but I bet it was Cisse with the winner after City levelled our early strike.

Liverpool 3 - 1 Wigan

Wigan's away record was always appalling under Jackson and nothing has changed it appears since he left. icon_razz.gif

Newcastle 0 - 1 Liverpool

A great win imo as Newcastle are dangerous at St James' Park. The Geordies deserved something from the game, but with Murphy having tweaked his defensive approach, they couldn't break us down and Gerrard scored a break away winner on 51 minutes.

This guaranteed Champions League football in second place.

The UEFA Cup came to an end in the Quarter Final when Birmingham produced an awesome display of attacking football at Anfield to come back from 2-0 down when it initially looked like Liverpool would blow Brum away. Isaksson keeping us level really in this one. Away from home, Brum went 2-0 up, with the typical kick in the nads being Zenden converting a soft penalty - a player I had sold in the summer. Despite a late penalty response from Liverpool, Green was inspired in the Brum goal and we couldn't force the equaliser we needed.

As mentioned the FA Cup finished at the semi final stage. In an even game one mistake by Carragher at the back was enough to let City take the lead and we couldn't find the equaliser.

Season review

I haven't enjoyed this season at all until the end. Having spent big money on Kompany, Podolski, Milito and Renato I was hoping to see a break out season from Liverpool. The board also put the pressure on by demanding an immediate return on their investment when in reality, I had bought players for the long haul in Kompany at 20 and Podolski at 21. At the beginning of the season we suffered reverses in games that we totally dominated, such as West Ham away, Aston Villa at home, Leeds away. It took me ages to work out why we weren't converting domination and brilliant football into wins and by that time I was under the cosh as a tight league saw us sit 2nd one week and 8th the next, with the slippages aggravating the fans and board. We also had to cope with an injury crisis with key players such as Gerrard, Podolski, Alonso, Riise and Crouch all being on the treatment table far too often. By the time the players came back and I had become more competent at the game, it was too late to seriously go for the league.

Despite this, so far I am still in a job with a few weeks now sh**ting myself over the summer break to see if I'll be given a chance to chase the title next season. If the board deem me surplus to requirements, I will accept it in the knowledge that they have blown next years title, cos I am going to win it. icon_wink.gif

Squad Review

GK - Isaksson: Solid season from the Swedish stopper who should have been given more protection from a top back 4.

GK - Carson: decent job as back up

RB - Basta: Solid and dependable.

LB - Riise: Injury prone season but is a great left back with a terrific free kick shot on him.

CB - Milito: A few costly errors made over the season but so far very impressed with the Argentian defender.

CB - Kompany: Good season from a young player who will improve

CB - Carragher: Solid season as well from Mr Versatile until his poor marking cost me the FA Cup semi final.

LB - Bridge: Deadline busting signing from Chelsea provided good cover while Riise was injured.

RB - Svec: Slightly disappointed in Svec who disappered in the big games

CM - Gerrard: justified his £110k a week wages when fit. The skipper only managed to start 24 league games but still provided 13 goals and 5 assists.

CM - Alonso: Assured quality from the Spaniard and managed 32 starts.

CM - Sissoko: Solid and dependable but far from a Patrick Vieira.

RM - Renato: Brilliant signing in all honesty. Comfortable on the right flank or in the centre.

LM - Pedersen: A good season from the Norwiegan winger though he tired near the end of the campaign.

LM - Blondel: Played well when selected ahead of Pedersen.

FC - Cisse: what can I say about Cisse. The Premiership's top goalscorer with 30 goals , 44 for the season, 15 assists for the season and 8 man of the match awards. He was tremendous and without him I dread to think how the season might have went.

FC - Podolski: Cost me £25m and I'm disappointed and awaiting Liggins swinging in with the new Kezman jibes. Only managed 19 league games for me such was his injury proneness and thus with a small squad we suffered up front. Still managed 8 goals and 9 assists though so I'm hoping he takes the EPL by storm next season

FC - Crouch: Always injured too and will be transfer listed in the summer. He does provide something different though and hit good form in the FA Cup with 5 goals

FC - Kikin Fonseca: Well forced to use Fonseca a lot up front due to the other two players and I was well rewarded by the pacy Mexican winger cum forward. 11 goals this season from 26 games marks him out as an EPL dangerman.

Roll on 2008/09. icon_smile.gif

FINAL TABLE 2007/08

fmseason3.jpg

Chelsea.jpg

We Are The Champions!!! We Are The Champions!!!

UEFA Cup 2nd Knockout Round 2nd Leg

13th March 2008

Bayern Munich 3

Salihamidzic 4, Kuranyi 40, Ballack 82

Chelsea 3

Lampard 10, Owen 29, Gudjohnsen 90

I was happy with being 3-2 down with only seconds to go as had two away goals, when Gudjohnsen latched onto a through ball by Lampard to score a great goal to equalise and leave us in a great position for the home leg.

Premier League

16th March 2008

Tottenham 2

Tardelli 29, Adu 39

Chelsea 2

Owen 51, Lampard 61

A derby game against Pagi's Tottenham side who have been going well so far this season. The first half was a disaster as goals from Tardelli and Adu left us 2-0 down at half-time but after a couple of tactical adjustments, Owen and Lampard got us back into the game and with several chances to both sides, the match could have gone either way.

Premier League

22nd March 2008

Chelsea 7

Vucinic 13, 17, 59, Terry pen45, pen71, Owen 78, 90

Fulham 0

Matt's Fulham weren't looking forward to this game as they knew it'd be very difficult. It was proved right as we demolished them 7-0 with a great hat-trick from Vucinic, two penaltys from our Captain Terry and also two goals from goal machine Owen.

Premier League

24th March 2008

Birmingham 2

Forsell 26, Gutierrez 81

Chelsea 1

Robben 41

I was confident we could get a result against Dave's Birmingham team but it didn't start off well when Forsell scored to put Birmingham into the lead. We started playing better after Robben scored the equaliser and it was a more even game until Cech decided to go walkabout and Gutierrez chipped the ball over his head into the empty net to give them all three points.

UEFA Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

27th March 2008

Chelsea 2

Owen 45, Lampard 55

Man City 1

Bautista 58

Man City have been performing wonders all season with Drogba being unstoppable so was delighted to put one over them as we're still battling them for the title. Owen and Lampard put us into a 2-0 lead until Bautista handed City a lifeline with a stunning strike from 30 yards but we held out for a good result but the away goal could be bad for us.

Premier League

30th March 2008

Chelsea 5

Owen 8, 82, Lampard 34, Robben 55, Gudjohnsen 80

Everton 2

McFadden 6, Davidsen 90

Collo's first game in the Premiership with Everton started off well when McFadden scored to put them into a shock lead but two goals from Owen and goals from Lampard, Robben and Gudjohsen put us 5-1 up as our domination showed although Everton did get a consolation second goal with Davidsen finding the net.

UEFA Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg

3rd April 2008

Man City 1

Drogba 6

Chelsea 3

Owen 7, Vucinic 48, 72

The lads did me proud as even though the unstoppable Drogba scored to put Man City into the lead, Owen equalised for us almost straight away and two goals from the impressive Vucinic sent us into a difficult semi final against Lyon.

Premier League

6th April 2008

Man City 1

Bautista 56

Chelsea 1

Vucinic 4

The third meeting in two weeks, we were definitely getting to know each other well. Vucinic scored to put us into the lead but Bautista scored another cracking goal to make it all square. That's the way it finished as both sides managed to cancel each other out.

Premier League

12th April 2008

Chelsea 3

Owen 27, Lampard 83, Rafinha pen89

Wigan 0

The first game against my old club, I couldn't go easy on them as we needed the points to keep us in the title race. Goals from Owen, Lampard and a first goal at the club for Rafinha secured the three points for us as Wigan offered little resistance.

UEFA Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

17th April 2008

Lyon 1

Malouda 43

Chelsea 2

Vucinic 73, Lampard 84

This match looked like it was going to go to Lyon as Malouda scored for them and we couldn't get our act together to find a way back into the match. That was until Vucinic scored a fluke goal and Lampard sealed the win when he thumped in a 20 yard shot to leave us in a great position for the second leg.

Premier League

20th April 2008

Newcastle 2

Taylor 6, Kerzhakov 27

Chelsea 3

Owen 10, Vucinic 17, Milner og69

This was end to end football as Newcastle showed why they've been performing well all season. Taylor put them to give Newcastle the early but Owen and Vucinic turned the match round to put us into the lead, only for Kerzhakov to equalise to make it all square. I really thought that would be the way it would stay until a cross from Robben went to Milner who decided to put it past his own keeper to leave us five points ahead at the top of the league.

UEFA Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

24th April 2008

Chelsea 4

Lampard 1, Vucinic 16, 21, Terry pen67

Lyon 0

A terrific performance from the lads as we demolished Lyon in the second leg at home. Two goals from Vucinic, a typical Lampard goal and a penalty by Captain Fantastic Terry sent us into the UEFA Cup Final where we'll face Milan which will be a very difficult game so not sure if we'll get a result or not.

Premier League

27th April 2008

Chelsea 2

Owen 2, Vucinic 15

West Ham 0

A glorious day in my management career as goals from Owen and Vucinic sealed the Premiership Title.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif:

Premier League

4th May 2008

Portsmouth 1

Chopra 21

Chelsea 4

Owen 1, 32, Lampard 27, Vucinic 45

Having won the title already, the players still dug in for a very good performance against Portsmouth which put us in good stead for the UEFA Cup Final coming up against Milan.

UEFA Cup Final

7th May 2008

AC Milan 1

Kaka 45

Chelsea 0

Despite dominating virtually all the game, I still can't believe we managed to lose after Milan's Kaka scores from their only shot on target in the whole game and with them shutting up shop like a typical Italian team, we couldn't find a way to get back into the match. I know I didn't expect to win but after a game which we didn't deserve to lose, it's still a kick in the nuts.

skylogo_default.gif

How does it feel to have won the title, Ben?

I'm absolutely delighted for everyone at the club as we've been working hard to make this possible. It's

the biggest trophy i've won in my management career so over the moon at the moment.

Did losing the UEFA Cup Final make the season end of a sour note?

I couldn't fault the lads for their performance as we did everything but score. Milan scored from their only shot on target and as you expect from Italian teams, they shut up shop which made it really difficult for us but that's not taking anything away from Milan as we'd have done the same.

What are your targets for next season?

We'll be looking to do well in all the competitions as we look to build on the success of this season. I feel

that we have a terrific squad at the club and I think with a couple more signings to improve on what we've already got, we'll have a great chance of achieving great success during the next season and beyond.

Anything you want to add?

I've prepared a speech which i'd like to read out if that's ok.

I'd like to thank my parents, my brother, both of my nans, my dog, the landlord at the local pub, Mr Wong at the Chinese Takeaway, all the EPL managers, my squad, Mr Ambramovich, Peter Kenyon, my assistant manager and all my coaches, my scouts, my physios, God, Claudio Ranieri for doing so rubbish that I got the job and i'd also like to thank the most important person in my life who without them this wouldn't have been possible and that person is ME!!!.

SQUAD OVERVIEW

Petr Cech GK - Tremendous consistent performances all season from the giant of a keeper.

Rafinha D/WB/M R - Settled in extremely well into the right back position.

Asier Del Horno D/WB L - Put in great performances all season at left back.

John Terry D C - The Captain lead by example as he drove the team onto success.

Ledley King D C, DM - Formed a formidable partnership with Terry which gave us a solid base to work from.

Giampiero Pinzi WB R, DM, M RC - Pinzi put in consistent performances all season as the holding midfielder.

Arjen Robben AM RL - Put in top class performances all season as he showed why he's a top class winger.

Frank Lampard AM C - A amazing season from Lampard as he scored over 20 goals in all competitions.

Damien Duff AM L - Working in tandem with Robben, Duff tormented defences all season long.

Michael Owen ST - Owen was the player of the season, scoring over 35 goals and showing why he's world class.

Mirco Vucinic F C - Vucinic exceeded my expectations of him as he formed a great partnership with Owen with ease.

Paulo Ferreira D R - Didn't get many chances but was dependable when called upon.

Andrea Barzagli D C - Settled in well but the performances didn't match his ability, expect more next season.

Michael Essien D C, M RC - Able to play several positions, Essien offered great versatility during the season.

Joe Cole AM RLC - Made most of his appearances from the bench but could be relied upon when needed.

Tomas Rosicky AM C - Spent nearly all the season injured so didn't get the chance to play much.

Albert Luque AM L, ST - Off to Rostock in the summer, Luque just couldn't find a way into the first team.

Eidur Gudjohnsen F C - When called upon, Gudjohnsen produced the goods to get into double figures for the season.

Let World Domination Begin icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

UEFA Cup Final

7th May 2008

AC Milan 1

Kaka 45

Chelsea 0

Despite dominating virtually all the game, I still can't believe we managed to lose after Milan's Kaka scores from their only shot on target in the whole game and with them shutting up shop like a typical Italian team, we couldn't find a way to get back into the match. I know I didn't expect to win but after a game which we didn't deserve to lose, it's still a kick in the nuts.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

youre CHELSEA!!! you should expect to eat anyone easily icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STFC will rule again:

.....Claudio Ranieri for doing so rubbish that I got the job..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dare I say it was Mourinho?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goat261:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

UEFA Cup Final

7th May 2008

AC Milan 1

Kaka 45

Chelsea 0

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

youre CHELSEA!!! you should expect to beat anyone easily icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Mr Goat which is a first for me icon_wink.gif

Only won one trophy with Chelsea bah crap season icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goat261:

UEFA Cup Final

7th May 2008

AC Milan 1

Kaka 45

Chelsea 0

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

youre CHELSEA!!! you should expect to beat anyone easily icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Mr Goat which is a first for me icon_wink.gif

Only won one trophy with Chelsea bah crap season icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You daaaaaaaaammmnnn Right!

Well Done Ben....I assume your thank you list is not in order of priority? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd like to thank my parents, my brother, both of my nans, my dog, the landlord at the local pub, Mr Wong at the Chinese Takeaway, all the EPL managers, my squad, Mr Ambramovich, Peter Kenyon, my assistant manager and all my coaches, my scouts, my physios, God, Claudio Ranieri for doing so rubbish that I got the job and i'd also like to thank the most important person in my life who without them this wouldn't have been possible and that person is ME!!!. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asschickenwinger:

how do i join </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop spamming the forum with "I wanna game now" threads and people might take you more seriously.

If you wanna join EPL, apply on our website: http://eplchallenge.co.uk

everton.gif

Collinson takes over at Goodison.

Although there are only 7 games left till the end of the Premiership season, The Everton Chairman has decided to sack the manager and replace him with Craig Collinson, returning to the game after around 3 years out. With Everton in mid table obscurity, little is expected for the reminder of the season and with the Toffee’s 25 mill bank loan to work, Collinson will have to do some wheeling and dealing to get the glory days back to Goodison.

The remaining games in the season went like this:

(A) Chelsea 2 - 5

What a good place to have the first game, and for 5 minutes it looked promising as James McFadden gave us a 1 - 0 shock lead, soon after the title contenders came back and went on to score 5, before Davidson scored a last minute consolation. Wasn’t a too bad a performance as we shared possession and had a number of shots but Chelsea just took all of there’s.

(H) Aston Villa 1 - 1

First game in charge at Goodison and it looked like it was gonna be my first win until a late equalizer from Villa. James McFadden earlier had given us the lead. A solid performance but disappointed not to win.

(H) Arsenal 1 - 3

Rubbish performance getting destroyed by the gooners, Van Persie and Henry (2) getting

the goals, Beattie getting the consolation.

(A) Liverpool 2 - 2

Didn’t expect much against Niall’s high flying Liverpool, but could have won it if it

wasn’t for Phil Neville losing the ball which lead to Gerrard equalising with 5 minutes

Left. It was a pretty even match and a draw was the fair result with Beattie and Cahill

scoring the goals for us.

Missed the next too games the results being a 1 - 0 defeat away to Bolton and a decent 1

- 1 draw at home to Manchester United.

(H) Sunderland 1- 2

Tight game, unlucky to lose this one, started off well with a number of chances but with

their first attack Rossi curled in a free kick, about 20 minutes later they were 2 up with

another free kick from Sousa. Beattie soon got one back but we couldn’t find an

equalizer.

Other News

Transfers Coming In:

Darren Bent Charlton 2.2M

Stilain Petrov Celtic Free

D Kamara West Brom Free

M Klieman Gronigan 1M

C Gardner Aston Villa 250k

Transfer Going Out:

Andy Reid Tottenham 2.8M

Kevin Kilbane Leeds 750k

Gonzalo Villareal 3.2M

Hall Chelsea 425k

Wynne Wolves 750k

Dunn Wycombe Free

Sereageant Bristol City 325k

Season Review

Seeing as there was only a few games I’m not to bothered with the results and the league

table position, the games were used to see who would be good enough for next season’s

and a lot aren’t good enough. The likes of Phil Neville, Marcus Bent and Leon Osman

etc… I will be trying to get rid off in the coming months and try and get in some decent

quality of players. Next season with an almost new squad hopefully we can challenge

for a European place. As for the squad review I don’t think I’ll do one, as most of them

wont be there for next season except for the likes of Tim Krul, Hibbert, Koldrup, Arteta,

Cahill(Player Of The Season), McFadden, Donovan and James Beattie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asschickenwinger:

HELLO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO JOIN! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to EPL Challenge.co.uk - we are a serious clan.

I've seen some of your posts on the SI Forums, we aren't looking for players at the minute, and I have a funny feeling you aren't EPL Material anyway.

Thanks, but no thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Well said Sam..now Villa end of season report...Where is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In process, waiting for Benjamin's logo's to come through before posting. As soon as I get the logo mate, i'll finalise and post. icon14.gif

hey belfast niall how do i join </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've told you before mate, we've all noticed you around the forums, we AREN'T looking for any new players at this present time, and we aren't looking at you as a perspective player.

I'm sorry, but in our clan you need experience, knowledge, respect and (was going to put talent, but Ben's in so....) be at a legal age to drink...capiche?

If yes to all of the above, do look at the website Err this is the link

SamBouchard.jpg

The Road To <STRIKE>Nowhere</STRIKE> Europe

Sam Bouchard has guided Aston Villa into Europe for the first time in years as they finished 7th, claiming a Uefa Cup place. Bouchard's side had come extremly close to the top of the league this year, with only a handful of points seperating the top 8 sides.

Aston Villa pulled together to come away from games against high flying Dave Williams' Birmingham and the superb side at Newcastle late on in the season to pull off such an achievement. With Doug Ellis tightening the transfer purse strings in January due to a planned 12,000 expansion of Villa Park any goings on were arranged for the close season, as Bouchard attempted to bring in at least 3-4 new faces.

The 2007/2008 season saw the rise and rise of Shane Paul, Aston Villa's new homegrown super-sub esque, high flying forward. With a wonderful eye for goal and some bloody fast legs on him he's surely got an extremly bright future ahead. With the squad looking fairly youthful all around, the summer could well be the club's final one without a trophy for quite some time. Neumerous FA Cup, League Cup and indeed League winners medals have been passed around the top clubs in England over the last few years, but with an emergence of a new young Sam Bouchard side, they could muster up a fair few points and some steady cup runs this year to really bring back the glory days to Villa Park.

Could this be the year that Sam Bouchard finally brings home his first trophy for Aston Villa, and indeed his first in the EPL after 2 and a half long awaited campaigns?

MattDoughty.jpg

And God Said...

Let there be players, and there were, for Willem II's squad wasn't capable of handling the Dutch Premiership. I quickly set about getting rid of some faces, letting unhappy players go about their ways and unloading overpriced underperformers.

[PLAYERS OUT]

Kevin Bobson - Free

Gianluca Gabrielli - Free

Robert Clerx - Zwolle - Bosman

Iwan Redan - Kaiserslautern - Bosman

Steef Nieuwendaal - Casale - Bosman

Fran van der Struijk - Besiktas - 2.3m

Diego Biseswar - Fiorentina - 3.1m

One I was unhappy to see leave was Redan, his transfer had been arranged before I arrived so there was nothing I could do about it. I settled on some players I liked the look of and brought them into the club:

[PLAYERS IN]

Karim Benzema - Lyon - Bosman

Ivica Iliev - Messina - Bosman

Kwabena Agouda - Free

Joseph Makhanya - Orlando Pirates - 140k

Borja - Ourense - 400k

Alain Rochat - Rennes - 500k

Jerome Bigard - Bastia - 1.2m

Sandro Bloudek - Milan - 1.4m

Njazi Kuqi - Newcastle - 1.5m

Two of the freebies, Iliev and Agouda, look like brilliant acquisitions, however, Agouda has been ruled out of the first half of the season with an injury picked up against Sunderland in the Pre-Season.

Our only game so far was a 4-0 win in the Dutch Cup over Katwijk, Iliev grabbing a hattrick on his debut. Bloudek and Njazi Kuqi were both sidelined for around a month, and Bloudek will miss the Ajax match with a suspension after being sent off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Well said Sam..now Villa end of season report...Where is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In process, waiting for Benjamin's logo's to come through before posting. As soon as I get the logo mate, i'll finalise and post. icon14.gif

hey belfast niall how do i join </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've told you before mate, we've all noticed you around the forums, we AREN'T looking for any new players at this present time, and we aren't looking at you as a perspective player.

I'm sorry, but in our clan you need experience, knowledge, respect and (was going to put talent, but Ben's in so....) be at a legal age to drink...capiche?

If yes to all of the above, do look at the website Err this is the link </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good website that i'd recommend it if link dont work first time keep trying as on about the 53rd time it does icon14.gif

StevenDiprose.jpg

An Indifferent Start...

After dogging through pre-season, it emerged that I missed out on my two main transfer targets, due to work permits not being granted for either. You can't help these things, and I'm pretty sure that I can make do with the players already at my disposal here in Sunderland.

Pre-season was envouraging, with four comfortable wins out of five, and a loss to Ipswich from a rookie team; morale was very good for the start of the season, which is never a bad thing, and I feel that we, as a club, are ready for the season ahead.

I'm looking to better last seasons finish of 13th, and preferably finish tenth or higher: my new signings Farfan and Ohlsson looks extremely promising upfront, and I will try to stick with them from the off, in order to build up a reliable strike partnership.

9th August 2008, 15:00

Chelsea 3

Lampard 28

Cole 44

Essien 90

Sunderland 0

Despite being hopeful for the season in general, I was not expecting anything from this match, and the result reflects how Chelsea dominated the game. However, we definitely had some good chances, with Whitehead bending one just wide of the left upright, and substitute Kuqi heading straight at a recovering Cech in goal, and I feel that at least one of these two opportunities should have been converted.

13th August 2008, 19:30

Sunderland 1

Ohlsson 62

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

I was wary of the newly-promoted Wolves, who would have been bouyed after mauling Everton 5-1 in their opening Premiership game. Indeed they pressed forwards, looked dangerous, and forced Leao into some good early saves, but never really looked like scoring. Leao was injured midway through the opening half, and so I was forced to bring on new keeper Gino Mommers for his debut. Gino pulled off two excellent reaction saves just after the break, before we took control of the match, with numerous openings being created. Ohlsson scored what turned out to be the only goal, just after the hour mark, and from then on it was one way traffic, but Custodio, Whitehead and Ohlsson, with the best chances, could not put the game beyond doubt. Another plus from the game was the performance of substitute Saivet, making his debut for the club: his excellent pace put the Wolves defence under a great deal of pressure, and a number of hashed clearances came as a result. The defence looked pretty solid, and held together excellently in the last ten minutes or so, as Wolves pressed for a late equaliser.

Two games into the new season sees Sunderland sitting in 13th; I am yet to find out the extent of Leao's injury sustained against Wolves, but highly doubt that there will be any more transfer activity, especially because of the low transfer budget provided by the board this season.

Bring on the 'Boro icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sdiprose:

StevenDiprose.jpg

An Indifferent Start...

After dogging through pre-season... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to tell us that Steve tbh icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Pagi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sdiprose:

StevenDiprose.jpg

An Indifferent Start...

After dogging through pre-season... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to tell us that Steve tbh icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell us something about Spurs pagi...In no less than 100 words. icon_wink.gif

Birmingham_DW.jpg

2007/2008 THE CLIMAX

OK so when I last left you I was on a merry dance up to New Anfield to get my arse kicked out of the UEFA Cup.But I managed to come away with a respectable 2-2 draw and took the game back to St. Andrews for the 2nd Leg with everything to play for.

All to play for then and it turned out to be a great match for us, running out winners on the night, the match was very closely contested with both me and Niall trying to outwitt eah other with numerous tactical tweaks, but fortunately the big guns wernt firing and we made our chances count. So onto the Semis's against AC Milan.

The 1st leg was at the San Siro, and we got well and truely played off the ptich for the 1st hour, luckily only going 2 behind thanks to an inspirational performnace by Kirkland. After a few tweaks and a couple of subs we managed to get the oh so important away goal. Again another chance for redemtion down at St. Andrews for the 2nd leg

But it wasn't ot be as Milan once again taught us how it should be done scoring 3 in 20 mins. After a major reshuffle we managed to pull 2 back but it wasn't enough and the dream final against Chelsea had turned into a pipe dream.

So onto the League and I hate to say it but we folded quicker than Pauline Fowlers late service wash. Liverpool were 1st to dent my European Qualification aim taking a draw from a match we should have won, a sterling performance from Brum seemed to be done and dusted with 10 mins to go and the departure of Riise for a uncharacteristic two footed challenge on the innocent Emile Heskey. Playing 3 at the back and loosing a player, made Niall play a 2-4-3 and it paid dividens as no sooner had Heskey got to his feet, there was Green picking the ball out of the back of the net to make it a draw and 2 lost points.

Steves Sunderland were anther team to commit daylight robbery, grabbing a 1st half goal and hanging on by his fingertips for the remainder of the game, how he managed to sin Superman in goal I will never know, but 3 points were lost and the Euro race was over for another season.

Other results were jsut as bad as we failed to make the last six games of the season count.

So all in all a dissapointing season finishing in 11th and bowing out to Milan in the UEFA Seni Finals. Stand out player for me was Emile Heskey, he didn't get much of a run under Laudrup but when called upon for me he delivered the goods most matches, grabbing 8 goals in 2 games with a memorable double hatrick in a fine game against Matt (sorry Matt icon_wink.gif).

So onto next season with great hopes, dreams and aspirations of greatness. With the European embargo lifted who knows where I'll end up come this time next year, but one things for sure wherever I lay my hat they'll score goals. Need a Vodka refil so Moscow.........

This was the Season that was....

ixqnvc.jpg

*Inesrt new logo here, when it's done*

2008/9 season has started, but manager Richard Liggins has been enjoying an extended summer holiday. In his absence, the following transfers have been confirmed:

IN

The season's 3 bosmans were:

Stanley Aborah, from Ajax

David Marshall, from Celtic

Zat Knight, from Fulham

Others in were:

Noe Pamarot - £425k from Sunderland

James McEverly - £4.7mil from Blackburn

Jurica Vranjes - £3.2mil from Bremen

Lynton Fletcher - £1mil from Fortuna Sittard

£9.25mil spent.

OUT

Plenty of youngsters on a free, plus:

Fabio Rochemback - £6mil to Leverkeusen

Malcom Christie, Robbie Savage and Mtthew Bates, among others, also went for a combined total of £2.75mil.

This means that a net spend of only £500k has taken place over the summer, which is rather disappointing fro the board, given the string finish to the season, the improvement in the club's finances, and the potential to push on. It'll be hard to break into the top 6 or 7 on that budget.

MATCHES

In the Intertoto, Drogheda, Auxerre and Rio Ave were all dispatched on the way to a final place against Real Betis, and with a 4-1 away win in the 1st leg, the UEFA looks a certainty for Boro.

In the league, Sam's Villa came to Boro and won 3-2 with a last minute winner in the season opener. 2nd game saw Collo's Everton trounce Boro 3-0 at Goodison. It's a good job that manager Liggins is back now, with Steve's Sunderland heading to the Riverside, so the league campaign can finally start.

Up the Boro

Archived