Having Problem Scoring Goals Against Weaker Teams

My counter/def tactic is working just fine against the same level teams. I manage FC Twente and all player instructions are default except for hold onto ball for my DLP and don't shoot long distance for my DLP and BWM

Here is my attacking tactic against weaker teams. It worked pretty well in 2012 but I'm having consistent problems on scoring more than one goal a game and giving up less than two goals a game.

Players seem to be taking too many long shots and seem to just roam around the box, passing around and then taking a long shot. We pass well and create chances, but most are long shots. Teams often score off of through balls. I was thinking of making it less attacking but we should be winning against some of these teams.

Any help would be awesome!

ncmJZ.png?1

There are far better tacticians than me but I would make the following points (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Its not always best to use the attacking strategy- all this does is affect the mentality of your players so that they get forward more and consequently they also take more risks to try and get an advantage leaving you exposed at the back. The ME is much smarter this year and seems to be able to react much better to threats this time around so you might find that what worked in last years version does not bring as much success this time around.

I also think that some of the teams you play will have taken into account your reputation as one of the big guns in the dutch league and will keep men behind the ball making it very difficult to create space and make proper chances (thus the long shots as there's no viable alternative). They will then be able to pick you off on the counter attack due to the fact you are over committing men forward (you also have a really high line so players can run in behind).

Speaking personally I dont tend to tamper with the Specific instructions as you can use Shouts to adjust your tactic on a game by game basis. Sometimes its better to Drop Deeper and Pass the ball into Space so that you can draw opposition players forward and create space for your more attacking players to use.

As a side note there is known problem with pressing in the ME at the moment so perhaps your closing down isn't working as effectively as maybe it should.

Just my thoughts of course and Im sure someone else can offer a greater insight than this

Well set my AM to support and playing a bit wider, along with limiting long shots for all players and seeing some improvement in movement inside the box rather than passing outside of it. Will keep adjusting.

Yeah its a good idea to have a variety of mentalities across the different lines- it improves the movement of players between the different areas of the pitch and helps create space

1. All four offensive players are on attack duty. This will overcrowd the already overloaded zone that deep defensive teams throw up for you. Try an switch the AM to S, and/or one of the wide players.

2. A poacher needs space in behind the opponents defensive line to make his runs onto through balls. This works against comparable and superior teams, but is a problem when playing inferior opposition. This year's AI is a lot smarter in taking team reputations into account, and quite some people report problems playing either the better or the inferior teams in their league. This seems to reflect that the tactical setup needs tweaking with respect to the approach taken by your opponents. Just like real life, ain't it?

3. As said above. Attacking as a team style seems to be very attacking this year. More suited for chasing goals than for playing a full ninety minutes.

Archived