The next great Itallian manager? Or just one of those crazy ones?

nava

Well after spending the last couple of years reading through hundreds of pages of everybody else's careers I've finally decided to tell everyone of my path to success (or failure!).

Growing up I've managed throughout all the the top leagues in Europe but nothing nothing has ever come close to the days of CM97/98 of managing in the low depths of Itallian football and working my way to the top and going on to huge success.

Anyway as I have now managed to get my teeth into FM13 for a week and figured a few of the new features out I think I'm now ready to have a crack at the lowly depths of Serie C2 once again. I had originally started of With Casale Calcio and was going along rather nicely when I got a nice little message saying the game had crashed and I had forgotten to save or backup any of my progress and was left back in pre-season on -5 points once again! So with the chance of starting again I decided to that I would start unemployed and wait for a club to give me my chance in football rather than just kicking an unsuspecting manager right into the job centre.

So I setup my game with only Italian league playable and all the leagues down to Serie C2 I customized the database to give myself more players (57000) to try and help me achieve my goals during this save. I may very well edit the database and add leagues as I set new goals as time goes on.

So once the game was loaded It was time for Alberto Rocchi to embark on his new career in football management. I started the game as unemployed and then set out on waiting for the right team to give me my big break. So I waited and waited........and waited.......and well, you get the point no one seemingly wanted to give me a chance. Anyway I did turn down a couple of offers as the clubs offering didn't really seem to match my ambition even at this lowly level so I declined the January window came and went so I decided that I wouldnt take any job untill the summer at the earliest. The summer was going along very quickly and I had accepted that I had probably missed my chance to get a club and use all of the summer break and pre-season to try and start gelling a team into my own when suddenly a club who ticked all the boxes came knocking...

th?id=H.4571727200584281&pid=1.9

U.S. Città di Pontedera S.S.D.

So I took a look around my new club and suddenly began dreaming of taking this club to the big time, when suddenley reality kicked in as I met my backroom team. I took one look at them and decided it was probably for the best that they accept a payoff and move on to new things themselves as they were not of the quality I was looking for to help me cope with the pressures of being a young manager. I quickly set about appointing my new team.

I set out to appoint the 2 most important members of my backroom team the DOF and my Assistant. These are the men who I will be speaking to on a regular basis during my time at the club and may end up passing off my workload onto them. I then set out appointing my new coaching staff for the youth team I made sure that I spent my time picking the right team as I know I will be placing a great deal of emphasis on youth as its the lifeblood of a club like Pontedera. Once this was done I then began searching through all the out of work lists to fill up my vacancies with the people that I could tempt to the club with the low wages on offer and believe me they were low.

staffin.jpg

I have posted a a shot of my results from the start of the season to the end of January 2014. I had already played on till then when I decided on creating this thread in future I will provide in game monthly updates.

results.jpg

As you can see I have had a decent start to the year and find myself in 6th place in the league which is a lot more than I expected cosidering I took over a team that stayed up on goal difference last year. I would love to keep this form going and challenge for a playoff spot but a top half finnish would be classed as a success considering the team I inherited. I didn't last long in the the cup though and went out at the 1st group stage with a draw and a defeat to leave me bottom of the group.

February 2014 update

RESULTSFEB2014.jpg

A very good month for us and we finally seem to be getting the consistency we have been striving for. Andrea Arrighini took his goals tally to 12 for the season and carries on improving the more he plays. Its a shame that he then went and got himself sent off for violent conduct in the 7th minute of the match against Aversa Normanna at least by that time he had scored what proved to be the winner but we could really do without the 3 match ban. Also I'm delighted with the 3 clean sheets and just the 1 goal conceeded in the month as after a strong start defensively we had shipped in way too many goals over the last couple of months.

Hopefully we can build on the good results and have a strong push to try and achieve at least a playoff spot if not even having a push for one of the top two posistions. We had moved up to 3rd place in the league by the end of the month.

March 2014 update

resultsmarch2014.jpg

After a great February we followed it up with a month of mixed results. We were easily beaten by Poggibonsi before bouncing back with a win. then came succesive 2-2 draws, both against playoff rivals. Andrea Arrighini returned from suspension and carried on his goal scoring form and Thibaut Horbette has found his feet now and has established himself as Arraghini's main partner. At the end of March we found ourself in 4th place

April/May 2014 update

Resultsaprmay.jpg

We started the month with a brilliant win and Andrea Arrighini continued with his good run of form before he was ruled out for the rest of the season with injury. We had a bit of a wobble in the middle of the month before we finished of the season in style with 2 good performance's. As a result we finnished in 3rd place on goal difference and 2 points behind 2nd place. We face Borgo a buggiano in the semi final's of the playoffs a team which we beat at home and drew away with. I would happily take the same 2 results now!

Playoff update

playoffs.jpg

We played Borgo a Buggiano away 1st having finished higher up in the league and we absolutley dominated the match but we just could not finnish them off which left them in with a chance going into the home leg. At home, it was a much more even affair but we still were the better team and took the lead early in the 2nd half only for them to even it up 5 minutes later but we managed to hold on and progress to the final.

Once again we played the 1st leg away from home and and went ahead in the 12th minute before Alto Adige levelled things up just before half time and the game fizzled out. The home leg was again a tight affair with us just shading it but no goals were scored and we were promoted as the higher placed side, I didnt realise this was the case as I thought it was going to extra time but was delighted anyway!

So promotion was achieved in my 1st season in charge which was a big suprise if you believed the predictions at the start of the season. When I took the job I was actually quite confident I would have a good season as I thought it was a squad that had underachieved rather than just not good enough, and with the signings I added we just had enough quality to achieve promotion.

I really don't know what to expect next season It looks like it will be a busy summer with half of my squad leaving so I'm going to be busy trying to replace them. hopefully the board don't cut my budget as I'm currently 600k in the red and a cut to my wage bill would make things extremely difficult!

August 2014 update

coppaita.jpg

We just played the 1 competetive game in August in the Coppa Italia against the Grosseto who have just been relegated from Serie B. We did well and managed to force extra time before they showed their extra quality and put them through to the next round against Sampdoria.

transfers

It was a very busy summer for me as a total of 17 players left the club when there contracts expired. Coming into the club was a total of 12 players all on free transfers and loans. the most notable were defender Henri Toivomaki who had been playing in the dutch amatuer leagues after being released by Ajax. Jason Bourdouxhe a Belguim Midfielder from PSV also came in and has added a touch of class to the team. French forward Duckens Nazon was released from FC Lorient and I managed to beat a host of fellow Italian teams for his signature. The other players were mainly youngsters who I belive can develop into good players but the majority of them will be able to step in and play at this level.

Archived