Very strange game.

Ive set my tactics spot no (or so i thought) and have only slightly tweaked them. My players are far more than capable of performing well but i find that a good 70% of the opponents set pieces end in a goal (Most annoyingly, the "long throw to the 6 yard box, picking out the unmarked man and he pops his free header into the net). Ive set ALL match preperation to defending set pieces to see if this helps, but it only helps slightly, what am i doign wrong?

When my players are on the attack, they want to stand in triangles and pass around the 3 of them, makign absolutely no ground nor deviating from their not-so-fatal 3 way. Ive set the tactics to "short" passing, but this is absolutely rediculous.

When i set my "opposition instructions" pre-match i have them tightly mark their wingers and strikers, and close down their midfielders, yet my assistant manager wants to constantly spam me with messages than players x y and z are being given too much space and need closed down -.- Is he just incompetant? No, as when i watch the game my players look like they are much too frightened of the lads to stand near them. They literally just step out of the way and let the opposition get on with it.

Any advice? Its getting quite frustrating now.

You could go into advanced instructions of your players set to close down specific opposition players and increase their closing down slider, although this could have the negative effect of making them tire quicker and possibly being dragged out of position too much.

The boring short passing not going anywhere thing I managed to lessen the impact of by not having my defence all sitting back all the time but having at least one fullback set to an attacking duty, so when your midfield have possession they have options other than sideways and backwards passing if your strikers aren't in a position to receive a pass safely.

There are a few great posts by wwfan in the feedback thread and (if you can find them amongst the ranting) I'd suggest reading them and seeking out his threads in the t&t forum, he helped design the me for FM13 and really knows his stuff tactically. The full back duty idea I mentioned I used after reading his feedback thread posts and since then I've gone on a ten match unbeaten run with 7 clean sheets.

I have both fbs on automatic, but ill give it a try and look for the posts :)

I think with both fullbacks on auto you will be exposing yourself to quick counters where if they can't get back quickly after you lose the ball in the final third you'll be facing a counter with only 2 at the back. If you aren't playing at least 1 midfielder with a defend duty according to what I read in a wwfan post this is made even more likely as no-one from midfield will be in a position to help out in the event of a quick break from the opposition.

Another thing to keep in mind is that collision detection has been implemented in the new me, so if you happen to be using a 1 up front tactic (as I was in FM12) where the lone man is a poacher it's much less likely to be effective than in previous versions. From what I've read it was the lack of collision detection that made this tactic so successful in previous versions of the game but in this version a lone poacher can be easily left isolated and effectively marked out of the game.

Beat mny fierce rivals 3-0, must be doing something right.

Maybe theres nothing wrong with anything and its a mixture of reading negative and conspiratorial statements in the forums, paired with my best players long term injured? :p

There's no doubt a badly timed injury crisis coupled with the rather vitriolic posts that fly around on here around release time can be a dangerous combination.

Archived