[FM12] SV Werder Bremen - Lean Mean and Green

Seule

So far the major off-season signings IRL are as follows :

Raphael Wolf GK from Luzern

Richard Strebinger GK from Hertha BSC

Theodor Gebre Selassie DR from Slovan Liberec

Assani Lukimya DC from Dusseldorf

Nils Petersen ST on loan from Bayern Munich

and if things can get sorted in the next couple of days, it's looking like we might be getting Eljero Elia from Juventus as well....

• 4 weeks later...

Well if you look at how Werder have traditionally built teams, it makes sense, bring in players cheaply and see if they can develop them into a winning team. My worry is as always the defense, getting Sokratis full time is great, but what is around him, Hartherz as left back, prodl in the middle, Gebre Selassie on the right with mielitz behind them? That said, the potential is there, it's one of the reasons I've started following werder the past few years, there is always a lot of potential floating around.

If Ekici/Arnautovic/Petersen/De Bruyne step up and if Elia can hit something close to his pre-Juve potential it could provide some really good attacking football. I guess time will tell.

Beat Bayern on penalties in the friendly cup over night... not that it counts for much but any win over Bayern is a good one :p

Potential around team is big, especially Gebre Selassie could be great addition to squad. Gk position is IMO weak comparing to the most of the other GKs in BL. Elia could be also great(if he plays like in WC 2010), however he didn't play whole season competitive match and to me he seems very problematic person(maybe just impression from interviews). For me it is very hard to predict what to expect from them in this season. Like you said, defense is unexperienced. Probably I am still under the impression from 2nd half of last season :) Will Lukaku join on loan?

Oh I can't fault you being under that impression from last season, it was that way the season before as well, a disturbing pattern. Elia and Arnautovic are big question marks personality wise, I mean, both have been good enough to be on the books of top clubs (Elia at Juve and Arnautovic at Inter) which says they have the talent, but neither had the temperament to succeed there. With the massive overhaul to the squad, I too have no idea what to expect. Miellitz has shown some potential in goal, but he isn't Wiese, and those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

I know I'll be playing with them again in FM13, it's an intriguing squad if nothing else maybe the best expectation is no expectation at all? :p

Archived