How to breaking teams down?

How to break teams down?*

As Barcelona in my third season, I am ever more regularly coming up against teams, especially at home, that are just content to 'park-the-bus' and stop me creating chances. This case of frustration is no more evident than in my current Champions League exploits. Twice in the group stages I have failed to break down a strong organised Tottenham defence, who are content to try their luck on the break; losing 1-0 at White Heart Lane, and drawing 0-0 at the Nou Camp; and a 1-1 draw and 1-0 win against Dynamo Kiev home and away respectively simply isn't going to cut it.

I have been reading a number of threads explaining the principles of creating space, and general movement in the back line; but I seem to failing to put these principles into practice. I will dominate possession away or at home, but often against stronger sides fail to create numbers of clear-cut chances; with the ball moving across the pitch in front of the opposition 18yard line.

My main thesis of this is how do I look at a side that I know are going to 'park-the-bus' and set my team up accordingly, what do I need to look for, and what ways can I implement this planned strategy of attack. Secondly, I have become ever more intrigued in to the analyses of my team; checking it at half time, and after the match. What do I need to look out for within this said analyses?

Sometimes playing Control or Attacking isn't always the best idea in these situations as the mentality and d-line are high so players are playing high up the pitch which cramps the space and the high mentality means they are constantly looking to try and play through a strong and organised defence. By using standard or counter the tempo will be slower and the mentality which will be lower so you might start dragging the defence out and thus creating more space. The lower d-line will also help, as will the 'drop deeper' shout. 'Playing into space' can often help you play more risky passes - your possession stats might lower but you'll potentially try to exploit more openings.

The Run From Deep instruction is extremely useful in this situation as it can get players moving past one another in a vertical manner which encourages the defenders to 'step out of line' and open up diagonal passing options which are often more dangerous than lateral or straight up-down passes.

Also, most top teams have a dead ball expert. Whilst being a threat from corners or free kicks is often associated with more defensive teams it is also a critical aspect of getting the ball in the net for top teams who will often see themselves being fouled more often.

As for your second point: the analyses can be very useful, particularly when you have identified a strength/weakness and want to see if the analysis agrees with you. Just be aware that your idea of a CCC won't necessarily agree with the game's idea of a CCC. If you play by only watching Key replays then I'd guess the analysis would be of more use than if you watch full games.

Sometimes playing Control or Attacking isn't always the best idea in these situations as the mentality and d-line are high so players are playing high up the pitch which cramps the space and the high mentality means they are constantly looking to try and play through a strong and organised defence. By using standard or counter the tempo will be slower and the mentality which will be lower so you might start dragging the defence out and thus creating more space. The lower d-line will also help, as will the 'drop deeper' shout. 'Playing into space' can often help you play more risky passes - your possession stats might lower but you'll potentially try to exploit more openings.

Thanks for your reply. Have just tried to impliment

The Run From Deep instruction is extremely useful in this situation as it can get players moving past one another in a vertical manner which encourages the defenders to 'step out of line' and open up diagonal passing options which are often more dangerous than lateral or straight up-down passes.

Also, most top teams have a dead ball expert. Whilst being a threat from corners or free kicks is often associated with more defensive teams it is also a critical aspect of getting the ball in the net for top teams who will often see themselves being fouled more often.

As for your second point: the analyses can be very useful, particularly when you have identified a strength/weakness and want to see if the analysis agrees with you. Just be aware that your idea of a CCC won't necessarily agree with the game's idea of a CCC. If you play by only watching Key replays then I'd guess the analysis would be of more use than if you watch full games.

Thanks for your reply, have just tried to implement the slighly deeper defensive line, as previously it was at the highest extreme. In two games against against Almeria at home and Monaco away I've set up with two deep lying playmakers in Xavi and Ganso. This has seen them probe slighly deeper than I would have previously have done, and not getting in the way of my front 4 players. I comfortably beat Almeria 3-1, and was astonished by the statistics of my central midfield;

DLP(s) Ganso - 67passes - 95.5%

DLP(s) Xavi - 65passes - 96.9&

Atm(s) Pastore - 44 - 90.9%

This was a similar situation away at Monaco, yet slightly toned down due to higher standard of opposition. But since implementing these changes it has stopped floods of players glogging up space around the oppositions final third.

That's an impressive pass completion ratio. As they are playing around with it in a deeper position I hope you've also seen the defence move forward to engage them, thus freeing up more space for your front 4.

Pushing very high up the pitch can be extremely effective for really dominating a team but, in my view, it is best done once you've already taken the lead so that the opposition must try and attack and then you can pounce on any mistake they make when they get a few players caught further up field.

The 'drop deeper' instruction creates space between the lines whereas the 'play wider' instruction creates gaps. These are also dependent on the size of the pitch. Pushing high up on a small pitch will really make the playing area very small but might well help you conserve energy.

That's an impressive pass completion ratio. As they are playing around with it in a deeper position I hope you've also seen the defence move forward to engage them, thus freeing up more space for your front 4.

Pushing very high up the pitch can be extremely effective for really dominating a team but, in my view, it is best done once you've already taken the lead so that the opposition must try and attack and then you can pounce on any mistake they make when they get a few players caught further up field.

The 'drop deeper' instruction creates space between the lines whereas the 'play wider' instruction creates gaps. These are also dependent on the size of the pitch. Pushing high up on a small pitch will really make the playing area very small but might well help you conserve energy.

Yes, I have seen a very notable difference in the space that my forwards now have to run into and move around in. I tend to to set-up my team from the start with a slow tempo and slightly deeper back line like first implemented, along with both cm's as DPL(s); then moving on to specific tempo, width, DL according to scout reports or how the game is playing out in front of me.

My two center midfielders always out-pass their midfield opposition, only overshadowed by the involvement of my full backs. Although haven't yet come near to the extent of the Almeria domination previously outlined.

Archived