A few tactical questions

So, Ive always made my own tactics as long as I played (FM7 til now) but find 11.3 hard. This might be because my typical tactic was a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond Attacking, Wide, Fast, Short Passing and High Pressing which produced good football in all previous games but is kind of unbalanced. So I tried tactics from the board, and found a 4-1-2-3 tactic that was promising, getting my Bournemouth team to the Premiership. After a season of just surviving I created my own 4-1-2-3 tactic but despte just wnning the FA cup, Champions League, and now super Cup I still dont know some key things about my tactic:

1. Strikers Runs From Deep - I understand forward runs with all the rest of the team but I play with 3 Strikers, a central target man with high heading teamwork and decisions to pump the ball to lightening fast poachers either side of him. Now I want the central target man to stay deep and the poachers to be on the last man. Does Runs From Deep set to rarely mean a striker drops deep to pick up the ball or does it mean they stay high up? This is crucial to my tactic but I still don't understand it entirely, please someone explain it to me!

2. Tightmarking and Offside trap - good for defenders or not? What situations are they applicable for? On that front Zonal/Man mark - Im a Zonal man myself, surely tight marking goes against that in CBs?

3. Speed of play - I always thought fast speed meant how fast the plays received and passed the ball, so in my mind a fast game plan meant lots of passing the ball, breakneck football sort of like Barcelona. Now Im thinking its a case of slow build up involves lots more passing, that fast is more direct the sam allardyce long ball model. I might be competely wrong on both, but I really need to understand this match engine because despite my current success Im not getting the consistant possession I crave, that in my mind is definately the optimal way to dictate a game and give your team the best chance of winning.

I hope someone can help to explain these to me and help to make me a better play. Thanks for anyone who replies in advance,

Dave

Archived