Can anyone help me get my team firing? [FM10]

I'm in my second season managing Sunderland (FM 10), and in the first season we finished 12th, switching between a traditional, fairly disciplined 4-4-2, and a diamond 4-1-2-1-2.

In the transfer window, I (in my opinion) improved my squad significantly, signing, Mark Van Bommel, Mesut Ozil, Royston Drenthe and Filippo Inzaghi. I've usually employed the diamond formation but to little effect, losing 10 out of the first 17 games.

I don't really understand how I've improved the quality of 4 different positions and yet am doing so badly. We seem to be creating a decent amount of chances but not taking them. For example in a recent game against Liverpool we had as many shots, and more possession, and yet lost 5-0.

The team is:

GK - Gordon, Fulop

RB - Bardsley, Nosworthy

CB - Turner, A Ferdinand, Salcido, Nosworthy

LB - Drenthe, Aleskandr Lukovic, Salcido

DM - Cana, Alessandro Gazzi, Van Bommel

CM - Cattermole, Van Bommel, Gazzi, Cana, Richardson

AM - Ozil, Malbranque, Henderson

ST - D Bent, Inzaghi, Kenwyne Jones, Fraizer Campbell, David Healy

My questions are:

1. How can I get the best out of Ozil and Inzaghi? I've had to drop Inzaghi to the reserves in the hope he finds some form - he hasn't scored in the league so far. Ozil is playing better but isn't getting on the ball and creating chances as much as I would like (already set to playmaker)

2. The team aren't threatening from corners, so is there any way of getting better chances from corners by positioning the players more effectively?

3. Should I consider going back to the regular 4-4-2 that I used to employ?

Archived