30 The new 20? How to train 30+ year olds?

I have been reading with great interest the threads of sfraser and cleon and would firstly like to thank them for such in depth and interesting threads, I always take something from them and I just wish I had time to look at some of the areas they cover in more detail

One question I would like to ask, as a player of the series from 1993, I have always been interested in the use of players over the age of thirty. In previous versions players aged 31+ were on the scrapheap and were largely unusable after this time.

However in more recent games players have been able to go on well into their 30's and play to a very high level.

I have never been able to do this as once players reach 32/33 they really dont seem to contribute to the squad anymore for me but after reading sfrasers thread concerning his game at Utd and the quality of his 36 year old Rio Ferdinand made me wonder how I can achieve this on my 9 season Derby County game where money has been tight from day one.

I love the idea of signing high quality players that have been discarded by their clubs but with the right training and guidance can still offer a huge amount right up to the age of 36/37 see sam allardyce late 90's early 2000 with the likes of Dyorkaeff etc oh and the evergreen Ryan Giggs.

Anyway sorry for waffling on just wondered if somebody had the time to give me a few pointers as to the types of training schedules for these type of players and any tips on maintaining their attributes allowing me to make the most of my resources.

Thank You

First you need to set your aim for each player. You have to know what you can expect of every player. Give him lighter workload, although I think we can't do anything special about that. That's nature, that player declines. It depends very on Natural Fitness and 'hidden' professionalism atributte. Also ambition of the specific player is important, if he want to remain at top for long time, he will train harder, even in mid 30's.

The main thing is not training, it is being able to trust your players to still do a job. The 36 year old Ferdinand in my team is not a first choice player by any means but he is still "Ferdinand" even though he has lost his pace and strength. He is still clever and able to nip in and win tackles and is still good in the air. I wouldn't rely on him for a few big matches on the trot, but I still trust him to play well when I play him. His abilities and performances on the pitch show me that I can trust him to do a job.

In terms of training the main thing is Fitness. Stamina and also condition. You want to train him enough so he is always in a good condition without under-training him and losing the minor CA gain bonus of high-ish training. Lots of Reserve Matches and Carling Cup matches keeps him "able to do a job" and then when I need him he is just a slower, less strong version of the "normal" Ferdinand.

My assistant keeps telling me to get rid of him but he is great to have around. He is particularly great to have for the younger players, a great Mentor and as a "Leader" on the pitch and my Vice Captain he seems to help youngsters up their game when he plays.

Archived