A Quite Remarkable Cup Run - A Short Story

sherm

This is a short story (my first one I believe) based on a game I played on CM01/02 a few years ago. It was a game that made me sit up and take notice of Rushden and Diamonds, but I also felt compelled to write the story, as the League Cup campaign I enjoyed was one of the most amazing I've ever had, on any form of the game. I just thought I should share it with the community...

---

Rushden and Diamonds had a bit of a continental feel to them come the start of the 2001/02 Division Three season, wih Fernando Vasquez, a former Mallorca and Cadiz manager, in the hotseat, and his contacts and knowledge allowing him to bring in such players as To Madeira, Hoalid Regragui, Agustin and Hugo Valdir. They had started their league campaign with two wins out of two, before a trip to Carlisle in the League Cup beckoned...little did they know, it was the start of an incredible journey...

League Cup Round 1

Carlisle Utd vs Rushden and Diamonds

Turley ; Camm, Underwood, Arber, Williams ; Wormull, Burgess, Mills©, Rankin ; McSporran, Dawe

The game started slowly, the home side slowing the pace to their liking, but with Jermaine McSporran in their line up, Rushden had plenty of pace to counter with. It took a quarter of an hour for the first chance, one which saw Gary Mills force a save from the Carlisle 'keeper, but that was the signal for Rushden to take control. They did, and finally, after several chances, the opening goal came, a lovely move down the right allowing Simon Wormull to whip in a cross, and Jermaine McSporran was at the back post to head into the unguarded goal. The second half was the same pattern of play, and Rushden, despite dominating, just couldn't find a second goal. They nearly paid for it too, as Steve Soley found himself one on one in the final minute, but he was denied by Billy Turley and his side advanced into the next round

Carlisle 0-1 Rushden

(McSporran 34)

To Madeira certainly was a legend back in the day Mark - I bet everybody signed him at some point too!

---

League Cup Round 2

Nottingham Forest vs Rushden and Diamonds

Turley ; Mustafa, Gray, Arber, Williams ; Wormull, Jack, Mills ©, Butterworth ; Cesar, McSporran

On form Forest were expected to provide more of a test than Carlisle, and after a quarter of an hour, this had looked to be true, as goals from strikers Marlon Harewood and David Johnson had seen them race into a two goal lead and almost leave the visitors dead and buried. With nothing to lose, they decided to go for it, and Forest 'keeper Barry Roche was tested no end in the remainder of the half, as Cesar, Mills, Michael Jack and Jermaine McSporran all forcing saves from the Irish 'keeper, but Forest went into the break still with that 2-0 lead intact. The second 45 minutes though, was a contender for most incredible over the season, as Division One side Forest were constantly on the back foot, as Rushden dominated the remainder of the half. Chance after chance came and went, and when Simon Wormull eventually volleyed them back into the game on 71 minutes, spirits were raised. They still went the same way, attacking the Forest goal, and five minutes from time, they got their reward, as a scramble in the box saw the ball fall to Gary Butterworth, who rammed home into the bottom corner to force extra time. Forest heads dropped after that, and you got the sense that Rushden would snatch the game after all. Extra time provided no goals, and penalties would decide the winner of the match.

The first two penalties for each side were coolly dispatched, as Cesar and Butterworth slid in for Rushden, and Williams and Harewood scored for Forest. After that, it was all about the 'keepers, as three of the next four penalties were saved. 2-2 after 8 penalties, and David Johnson then blasted wide, before substitute Richard Ponsford calmly slid home and sent his team through after a remarkable comeback

Nottm Forest 2-2 Rushden (a.e.t) - Rushden win 3-2 on penalties

(Harewood 12 ; Johnson 14 ; Wormull 71 ; Butterworth 85)

Archived