Independiente-tactical help needed

It's January of 2011 and I really struggled in the Apertura (opening phase). I had mid-table finish as my season expectations and finished in 12th place so my job is on the line. I imitated the tactics they used in real life, so I used a 4-4-2 diamond in the first half of the season and a 3-4-1-2 in the second half (the 3-4-1-2 was identical to the one I used in FM10 that I had a lot of success with). Neither worked too well. My home record was pretty good but my away record wasn't. Anyways, my only changes to their default roster are that this transfer window I signed Matias Defederico and Javier Pastore and got rid of Leandro Gracian.

I was thinking about playing with a 4-3-2-1 (wide midfielders on support, CM on ball-winning support, two AMC's, and Silvera as the target man striker on attack), or maybe moving the CM back to a DM in that formation. I think I should play a formation with two AMC's because of my squad: there's Rodriguez and Martinez and now Pastore, and I'm re-training Defederico to be an AMC and training him to 'run with ball through the center of the park' (he's only 'competent as an AMC, though he'd make a great one and that's what he played for a while in IRL). I did use a Christmas tree formation with a lot of success in FM10, but it had 3 CM's, and I don't think that would work with my squad...I think I should have wide midfielders. Since my job is under pressure, I don't really have time to experiment. A bad result or two could get me sacked. Any advice?

• 9 months later...

Archived