I would LOVE IT, If we could re-create the Newcastle formation!

I am leaning towards that myself jaycar, just played Spurs away and got beat 2-1 (albeit a tad harshly) and the wide strikers Owen and Martins were not that effective, so in my last match away to Pompey I changed to a 4312 midway through the game and turned a 1-1 into a 2-1 away win for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a season ticket holder at Newcastle and missed this thread the 1st time around.

Although billed as a 4-3-3 the system we've been using towards the end of the season is really just a plain old 4-4-2 diamond (although you could call it a 4-3-1-2) with Owen and Butt at the top and bottom of the diamond respectively:

Oba Viduka

Owen

\ /

Barton * Geremi

|

Butt

Jose Taylor Faye Behe

Harper

The arrows show where people go when the team has possessionl. We have been defending with a narrow 3 in midfield, with Barton and Geremi responsible for doing a lot of work to close down the ball. Nicky Butt has been playing so well because he reads the game so well and makes interceptions rather than pressing all the time, in FM terms he would have positioning and anticipation around 18+.

When we win the ball Michael Owen is the outlet so I guess he's the playmaker, he also tends to hold it up in that area and allow others to break forward. His OTB is world class and he finds space there very, very well. He has a free role too and makes late runs into the box when we have possesion wide. Behe is constantly linking up with Geremi and is generally higher up teh pitch than Geremi when we have teh ball in the final third. Jose Enrique is less likely to bomb forward.

Too busy playing my third season in the BSP with York to try this out in the game though.

We did actually play 4-3-3 against Birmingham (the first game we swicthed tactics) in the first half, with Michael Owen on the right but in the second half of that was abandoned in favout of Owen 'in the hole' and he's been there since, doing a great job.

Archived