A Real Short Story

Brian of Nazareth

There is an old adage that goes: "It's not always greener on the other side." It is rather irrelevant to this story, but it is an old adage, and that is how it goes. Life is full of quirky witticisms which are used as an allegory for so many aspects of our day to day lives, and often get quoted ad infinitem until it is said one too many times, and either - as is usual - suddenly descends into the realms of "oh my god, that's so CLICHED, for the love of God stop tormenting my ears!!" - or alternatively it's blasted off into the unknown realms of deep space where it's conveniently carried into a black hole from which it never recovers. The only exception to this being: "Life's A Bitch."

For Mickey Swarfiga, it was a phrase he had become quite familiar with in recent times. As a youngster, life had been as normal as could have been expected for a guy of his standing. He enjoyed the loving support of a nuclear family, had two brothers and two sisters who all revelled in spending plenty of fun times together, whilst growing up in a very peaceful suburb, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, his experiences on a superficial level could well be described as a fortunate one thus far.

Of his talents, he was a skilled musician on the keyboard, and had often had thoughts of forming a band and making a serious effort of it, but like so many budding 'rock stars' he was rejected, though he often felt it wasn't for the musical ability. Sporting wise, again he liked to think of himself as able to hold his own in a few competitive sports. He performed well in racket sports especially, though football was his main passion. Football was the reason he looked forward to every saturday - making a trip down to Villa Park, to watch Villa struggle or excel dependant on their fortunes. He cheered the goals and, booed the insipid, but regardless of the result, the thrill of the atmosphere and camaraderie never failed to encapsulate Mickey.

Like so many young boys - his dreams were full of re-living and excelling his heroes on the park. That moment of glory when the never-say-die-effort clinches a victory right at the death, or even from the lower league view where a late goal earned a replay and attention from the baying media. Mickey had them too - and as ever he always knew he would never make it in his own right. He knew that he could never attain the heights he dreamed of. Though in practice one might observe his talents with some admiration - he was pacey, tenacious and his ball control was phenominal, but Mickey's physical status seemed always to weigh heavily on everyone's minds.

It had weighed on Mickey's mind too - and though he'd had several years to realise it, he was acutely aware of the stigma he faced due to a prejudice society that fears that which is not normal. The jokes were constant, though they were thinning out as he and his peers grew with maturity, but Mickey had for the most part tried to let it go by. It was difficult. This summer morning though, he awoke with a new determination. The happy pop music on the radio seemed to invigorate rather than irritate that morning - and though he couldn't pinpoint exactly why, he felt a sudden urge - a need to not let societies norms become a barrier to his life. He would make it, he thought - and he would go for trials at clubs. Enough was enough, now, was the time for Mickey Swarfiga to be noticed for the right reasons, as the 17 year old jumped out of bed with renewed enthusiasm. It would be difficult of course, but he would overcome it, he'd scale the heights.

Mickey, showered, dressed in sports atire, and checked himself in the wall mirror. A self assurance seemed to breeze over him as he looked with unexpected hope to a future, of changing opinions and making his mark. He'd do it. A nod to himself, he climbed the stool opened the door and walked downstairs. At barely two foot tall, this would be one hell of a challenge.

There is an old adage that goes: "It's not always greener on the other side." It is rather irrelevant to this story, but it is an old adage, and that is how it goes. Life is full of quirky witticisms which are used as an allegory for so many aspects of our day to day lives, and often get quoted ad infinitem until it is said one too many times, and either - as is usual - suddenly descends into the realms of "oh my god, that's so CLICHED, for the love of God stop tormenting my ears!!" - or alternatively it's blasted off into the unknown realms of deep space where it's conveniently carried into a black hole from which it never recovers. The only exception to this being: "Life's A Bitch."

For Mickey Swarfiga, it was a phrase he had become quite familiar with in recent times. As a youngster, life had been as normal as could have been expected for a guy of his standing. He enjoyed the loving support of a nuclear family, had two brothers and two sisters who all revelled in spending plenty of fun times together, whilst growing up in a very peaceful suburb, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, his experiences on a superficial level could well be described as a fortunate one thus far.

Of his talents, he was a skilled musician on the keyboard, and had often had thoughts of forming a band and making a serious effort of it, but like so many budding 'rock stars' he was rejected, though he often felt it wasn't for the musical ability. Sporting wise, again he liked to think of himself as able to hold his own in a few competitive sports. He performed well in racket sports especially, though football was his main passion. Football was the reason he looked forward to every saturday - making a trip down to Villa Park, to watch Villa struggle or excel dependant on their fortunes. He cheered the goals and, booed the insipid, but regardless of the result, the thrill of the atmosphere and camaraderie never failed to encapsulate Mickey.

Like so many young boys - his dreams were full of re-living and excelling his heroes on the park. That moment of glory when the never-say-die-effort clinches a victory right at the death, or even from the lower league view where a late goal earned a replay and attention from the baying media. Mickey had them too - and as ever he always knew he would never make it in his own right. He knew that he could never attain the heights he dreamed of. Though in practice one might observe his talents with some admiration - he was pacey, tenacious and his ball control was phenominal, but Mickey's physical status seemed always to weigh heavily on everyone's minds.

It had weighed on Mickey's mind too - and though he'd had several years to realise it, he was acutely aware of the stigma he faced due to a prejudice society that fears that which is not normal. The jokes were constant, though they were thinning out as he and his peers grew with maturity, but Mickey had for the most part tried to let it go by. It was difficult. This summer morning though, he awoke with a new determination. The happy pop music on the radio seemed to invigorate rather than irritate that morning - and though he couldn't pinpoint exactly why, he felt a sudden urge - a need to not let societies norms become a barrier to his life. He would make it, he thought - and he would go for trials at clubs. Enough was enough, now, was the time for Mickey Swarfiga to be noticed for the right reasons, as the 17 year old jumped out of bed with renewed enthusiasm. It would be difficult of course, but he would overcome it, he'd scale the heights.

Mickey, showered, dressed in sports atire, and checked himself in the wall mirror. A self assurance seemed to breeze over him as he looked with unexpected hope to a future, of changing opinions and making his mark. He'd do it. A nod to himself, he climbed the stool opened the door and walked downstairs. At barely two foot tall, this would be one hell of a challenge.

so am I frankly icon_biggrin.gif

Day 1

Mickey's first step, after completing his morning shift, behind the counter at the local 24 hour Spa, was to get out onto the local village park with a ball. It was training time. When he was to make the calls to local clubs and speak to former coaches, he wanted to be in the best of shape possible, to make the greatest impression he could. With the sun beaming down on the deliciously green, freshly cut grass, Mickey began the first step, sprints, warm ups and basic ball control first. For a man of less than average height, one might have thought building the body up completely pointless, but he did it anyway. Using kids toys as weights and a climbing frame for pull ups, Mickey was on the move. The stereo blasting Survivor's Eye of the Tiger at full volume, and the perspiration building.

After two hours of hard graft, it was lunch break time, and only a true sportsmans diet. Pasta, fish, two banana's and a protein shake, followed by a bag of maltesers. King Size. Having disposed of the crap in a trash can, it was back out on that testing pitch. Now for the f*cking ball control. Kick ups, step overs, and weaving it through a slect line of conveniently handy orange cones stolen from the nearby roadworks. Once, then twice, Mickey got so caught up he accidentally ran headfirst into two of them, but he never gave up. Hell no, only pussies quit.

By the end of the three hour session the ball was his best friend, his woman, he could coax it and play with it anyway he wanted to. He caressed it, before drilling it in with sublime accuracy. The sweat ran off his forehead, his t-shirt drenched, in the salty beads. Removing the garment, he revealed the slightly flabby, yet strangely athletic looking, chest, as he draped it over his shoulder, picked up the sports bottle, suckled the teat ravenously, and walked over to his equipment bag, and then sat back against it, reflecting upon the day just gone, and his hopes for making it.

He'd need to do this everyday, and work his tiny ass off, but maybe, just maybe, records could be broken. He'd be the smallest professional by a clear two foot and a half, the incentive was there. The money, the fame, the success, the women, the blowjobs... at this point Mickey was well aware he was dreaming, not that he cared.

Later that evening, in his room he shared his thoughts with his family - who were shocked at his plans, they tried to warn him away. He'd come under intense scrutiny again - and being in the public eye, only opened the floodgates to more jokes and intense patronism from an ignorant media and public. They also doubted his actual ability to make it too, suggesting perhaps a special sports club, for differently abled folk - which only served to anger Mickey. He'd always just wanted to be treated the same and the suggestion insulted him. Why did people think height mattered? Why were they so stunned to see a very short man? It was ridiculous and just another reason why he was already filled with an intense desire to succeed. Retiring to his room, Mickey stuck on the stereo and dreamed the dreams again - this time filtered with a self belief he could do it. Van Halen, Jump.

cheers! icon_smile.gif

Calling In An Old Friend

Though he felt he was fighting a one man battle thanks to his family's cynicism, Mickey carried on in his quest to satisfy his drfeam of being a professional footballer. Even a contract at a Conference side would be a foot in the door and a significant start. His first call to his primary school teacher hadn't gone down too well, not least because Mr. Teradact couldn't remember him ever being there, not even when prompted he was the midget. Apparently they were all two foot tall back then.

Next on the list was Jack Warden, the coach for the local park side. He'd seen Mickey at under 10 and 12 level and been vaguely impressed once he pushed past the obvious defects. Mickey hoped for better luck with him. Reaching for the phone he felt a pang of nerves strike him in the bowels. Negative answers still upset him and he hoped he wouldn't get another here.

"Hello? Who is it?"

" Hey Jack, it's Mickey Swarfiga, you remember me?"

"Sure kid. How could I forget! How's life treating you know? You outta school yet?"

"In between, finished GCSE's couple a weeks back. Not sure if I'm gonna go any further though."

"Uh huh. So what's up kiddo? What can I do for you?"

"Well, now don't laugh, but well you can imagine that sometimes I feel as though there are only so many jobs that I can do..."

"Hey, Mickey, as I always said, go for the job you want. F*ck your height - employers can't discriminate on that."

"Yeah, I know it's just, well I'm thinking I want to live a kids dream..."

"I see, I think I -"

"I wanna be a footballer Jack."

"Now kiddo. I can see why you want to do that. Everyone wants it. But you know, I had this lad the other day, who can do the works, hard worker, scores goals and has the natural skill - yet even I know he won't make it professionally. Maybe a conference player, Division 3 at the best. Now he's a kid who is gonna have to bulk up considerably to play at that level Mickey."

"Yeah and? I'm not that kid. I'm me, Mickey Swarfiga!"

"I know! And you got the desire, you got the application I'm sure, and I remember, you got talent for a - , you got talent boy."

" So what else do I need!?"

"Mickey. Listen to me. I don't like to say it, but I'm afraid this is where you do have a disadvantage. But! It's the same disadvantage other folk of average height have. Some kids are too thin, too fat, too lazy, too crap... you're too small. I know you don't want to -"

"Hey! It wasn't a problem when you played me was it? Come on let's be real, just cause I'm a midget doesn't me I don't deserve the same chance to at least try and reach my goals does it? You know... you talk of people who judge before they know anything... you're doing the same Jack!"

"Mickey! Listen, I respect you, you are a good player but -"

"Just give me a chance Jack. That's all I ask - I just want a god damned chance! At least I've tried! I just don't want to look back and say well I just assumed I wouldn't get anywhere... just think about it!"

"Ok, Mickey, I'll do that. I'll think about it, but now I have to go. I'll give you a call tomorrow."

"Bye."

Mickey hung up the handset and reflected a moment. Just a chance, that's all he wanted. He deserved it didn't he? Of course if ended up in the same company of players again, he was likely to return to his nickname Knick-Knack, named after the little fellow in The Man With The Golden Gun - but hey it was a funny name - he could have a sense of humour when he wanted to. He turned back to his bed, lay back and switched on the stereo - Placedo 36 Degrees.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kidderminster Shuttle

17. 07. 2001

New Man At Aggborough

A. Barnacle

Yesterday in a lunch time press conference at Aggborough, Kidderminster Harriers chairman Donald Smith introduced his new man for the job as manager since the departure of Ian Brittain as caretaker coach two weeks ago for personal reasons. He said that among a host of managerial applications for the job, the board had decided to plump for a local enthusiast and park coach Owen Newitt.

As a relative unknown, fans might be considering just what Donald Smith is doing by taking on such a risk, but the chairman moved swiftly to allay fears, claiming it was little more than a well calculated success.

" Over the years, this club has been progressing very slowly, and now, as we look to stabilise our presence in league football, we and I believed that appointing Owen will be a great step towards achieving this. Fans talk of big names full of experience, but who is free? Who is out there? None of the speculated names even applied. Of those who did we saw a whole host of qualified coaches stake their claim.

" Owen is one such candidate. His interview demonstrated to us that he has what we are looking for. Passion, talent and that argumentative streak every good manager needs. He is experienced with working with players in the Under 18 range, and we feel he deserves his chance to take on a reign in professional football."

Mr. Smith went on to further talk about the clubs finances this summer. With no money to be spent, the squad is to remain the same as far as can be hoped, whilst they hope to hang on to star player Bo Henriksen, a player who it is rumoured has already expressed a desire to move on to a 'bigger' club. However, he did hint to potential arrivals in the youth department before handing over to Mr. Newitt himself, who talked of his personal hopes, and asked for support from the faithful.

" I would appeal to those out there questioning my appointment to allow me the chance to prove myself. At 30 I may be relatively young, yet I have been coaching at several levels from Junior through to the lower league level with Bromsgrove Rovers. I am a very ambitious character and I intend to be a success here with Kidderminster. I know the locale well, and as well building a strong squad over time to eventually challenge for promotion I will be hoping to build strong foundations within the community.

"The soccer schools for me are a great source of talent and a wonderful opportunity to allow the youth of today to interact with the skills of former pros such as Nick Griffiths, and I hope they continue to grow and expand through out the communities. I will of course be focusing on bringing through the young players, to the first team, and if I can find a few talented young guns out there for free I will look to bring them in. I believe there is a great deal to look forward this season and I for one cannot wait."

That said, the press conference ended, and the overall impression is one that the new man must be given a chance to impress. With the season less than a month away it will be interesting to see what kind of changes Mr. Newitt brings to the side. We wish him luck in his quest, whilst also advertise that tickets are on sale at a reduced price of 5 pounds concessions for the opening match with Hartlepool.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Tyrone

A Friend In Need, A Friend Indeed

Mickey had been waiting for the call for a few hours, in eager anticipation. After an early morning start a 5am, in which he continued the physical aspect of his training, with Start Me Up the song of choice to get him going, before the protein slanted meal to help bulk up further. Ball control as usual soon followed and Mickey was actually alreayd earning support from his parents - who were somewhat embarrassed by their comments before - and certainly proud of their sons efforts to prove the doubters and the world wrong. Eventually the ringing began.

" Hello Jack!?"

"Hey kiddo. It's me. Ok. Short answer, but you're right, you do deserve a chance. Listen if you come across to the park around 3, we can see where we're at and I'll do my best to help you. We'll set up a programme to give you the best chance, but there's no quittin' if we start ok?"

"Don't worry about that Jack! No chance, cheers!"

"It's ok Mickey. I felt kinda guilty anyway. There'll be a match or two coming up in friendlies anyway for the kids soon enough, so I'll chuck you in them both, they're Under 16 level and very talented. You do well in those matches I'll have a chat with a few contacts and see if I can't set up a trial with the local sides - maybe even Worcester or Kidderminster."

"Wow! Cheers Mr. Warner, I appreciate you giving me the chance."

"I'll see you at 3 then."

"Ok, see you later!"

There was a renewed surge through Mickey's small frame as he allowed his thoughts to run wild again. He stopped off downstairs to inform his docile mum of proceedings before constructing another meal heaving with nutrients and vitamins, and completely absent of anything remotely exciting - the nearest being his small glass of diet vanilla coke. Mickey showered again - simply to pass the time, before flicking through Tony Adams highly depressing autobiography until the clock ticked over. Finally, he looked up and he saw that it was time.

With the welcome encouragement of his father's words ringing in his ears, he walked out the front door, and headed left down the street towards the Park, just reminding himself over and over that he could do it, and more to the point he would do it. Turning up the short down trodden path, he could already hear the excited shouts as the end of the juniors training session seemed to be coming to an end. Reaching up with some difficulty he eventually unlocked the gate, and he heaved the small gate open. There, before him was his old coach and mentor from younger years waiting for him.

" Afternoon Jack!

"Hey kiddo. Are you ready? Are you ready for love? Sorry - got that song in my head. Don't worry. Anyway - the others are just packin up. You can go and do a warm up if you want and then we'll get cracking!"

So off Mickey went, performing the usual rites, stretching those little limbs, and running to the halfway line and back - effectively a marathon for the poor sod, before returning all freshened up for the examination. Jack watched over as Mickey danced around with the ball under his control. He nipped in and out the marked cones, played the passes to the cardboard cut outs, and shooting into the net, aided by the presence of some young kids still left over. The skills were impressive and Jack watched on, pleased with how young Mickey was doing. The more he played, and the longer without a break the more he thought, that maybe, just maybe there could be a way. His stamina was remarkable for one so small, and his pace, was electrifying - it would be hard for many to cope - as here is size was a definite advantage. He looked up to see mickey just steal in, through the legs of one kid in particular - and the realisation upon Jack was sudden. Maybe - just maybe he could!

Newitt Examines The Squad

Owen Newitt had been in charge of the squad for just the one week by the time he decided to draw up an overall picture of the players available to him. The short answer was that it wasn't particularly pretty. Although the standard of Division 3 wasn't the highest, there were still too many inadequate talents in the squad. Of course the majority of the side seemed to be under 24 so there was always hope for improvement, but Owen knew there would be little advancement in most of the players there.

The next best task would be to simply work with them as best he could - search for a goalkeeper to add experience, and try and bring in a few young numbers to bolster the squad's survival prospects this year. Donald may have suggested a decent mid table position but the squad suggested not getting relegated would be an achievement to be celebrated. The following week would be spent scouting out the immediate vicinity, and nearby parks - might as well revisit old hunting grounds first. Why go miles when there's potential talent on the doorstep?

In time honoured tradition the squad list was fashioned thus, and requiring a goalkeeper was a glaring necessity early on.

Goalkeepers:

Stuart Brock 24 y/o and a half baked talent. He may be young but he's a liability between the sticks - at least that's what first impressions suggest after several shots beat him through his legs and over his head, and to his left, his right and probably right through him too. Remarkeably until a replacement is found - he is going to be first choice icon_redface.gif

John Danby 17 y/o and highly inexperienced. Has only just signed professional terms - but despite youth he's probably as good as Brock. Unlikely to make the grade, but with age on his side, will be used as the number 2 for whoever is brought in as number 1.

Conclusion: Walk on, walk on, with gloves in your hand, through the doors, and get tae feck! icon_mad.gif

Defenders:

Lee Ayres 18 y/o SW/DRC, he's most skilled in dribbling, but that's just because he can't drink properly. Knows the basics of a centre half and will probably be involved initially, but young kiddo.

Craig Hinton 23 y/o DRC, wants a new contract, and after having been a regular last season is probably a justified request. However, Owen will probably wait to see how he turns out. He has pace on his meaning, a likely start on the right flank.

Ian Joy 20 y/o, DL, an American with talent. Will be the first choice left back. Very determined and speedy.

Sam Shilton 23 y/o D/AML, son of the great Peter. A very competent player, he'll be playing up in midfield, but will be available to cover Ian where necessary.

Scott Stamps 26 y/o D/DML, Another player with speed to burn and determination to boot - he adds competition to what is a surprisingly strong left flank.

Mark Blake 30 y/o D/DMC, an experienced old hand, formerly of Mansfield, Walsall and Leicester, he'll be vital in providing an old head in a young back line, whilst also adding the versatility of potentially playing in the midfield.

Abdou Sali 20 y/o DC, he's young but he's got the talent at this level - may need a few old hands to bring him on, but can be relied upon to put the tackles in where needed.

Adam Smallman 17 y/o DC, a very tall commanding defender. Adam is one for the future. Experience and the pressure of the first team might be a little daunting now, but over time he should grow to enjoy it.

Adie Smith 28 y/o DC, well he's about average for this level. He's got experience so he'll clearly play but not a long term prospect if the kids develop as they could during the year.

Conclusions: Mixed bag - some good, bad and average. Additions not a priority yet.

Midfielders

Sean Parrish 29 y/o MLC, the experienced former Cobbler is one of the more creative outlets in the side and will be a starter in the first team. Playing both wide and inside left, Sean will be seen as one of the main attacking threats with his incisive passing, and well delivered crosses.

Sean Flynn 33 y/o MRC, another one of the old hands - Sean will be a key figure in the side when fit, with his vast experience in the higher leagues. He's taken a drop down with Kidderminster and the youngsters should appreciate working with him.

Danny Williams y/o 22 MC - young, average talent who's main positive is his attitude. He seems to be a hard working fellow, with a decent eye for a pass. However - not the strongest of men so cannot be relied upon to add the bite in the centre. Probable fringe role.

Lee Yates 17 y/o MC - even younger, and of a similar talent to Danny. Lee will flit in between reserves and the first team as and when seems appropriate to develop his ability.

Nick Heath 16 y/o AMR - fast, skilful and one hell of a shot on him - Nick is a talent for the future. As an out and out winger he will also get his chances this season. He's one of the talents Owen hopes will be a real star for the club.

Andy Ducros 23 y/o FRC - well, er not a striker, not fantastic on the right either. He's got some ability in him, he can play a pass and make a tackle - but nothing stands out with Andy. He scored 2 goals in 34 appearances last season - hardly the sign of a prolific forward. May be kept to provide competition on the right until a replacement arrives.

Dean Bennett 23 y/o AMRC - decent - nothing more, nothing less. More experience than Heath is all that's keeping him ahead for now. Will have to do well to keep place in the long term.

Conclusions: lightweight - need some bite in the centre, and possible additions to the right wing.

Strikers

Bo Henriksen 26 y/o SC - the Dane is the most talented striker, and perhaps player at the club with a real eye for goal and he does have class. Early hints of unhappiness though could prove problematic. Hopefully a good start to the season could help change his mind.

Ian Foster 26 y/o FRC - he's average, but consistent. He'll play the target man role and generally be a nuisance. He will never be a world beater and this is definitely his highest level but reliable all the same

Matt Lewis 18 y/o SC - young lad, with potential. He'll get a few games, but can't be relied upon to score the goals the club need.

Drew Broughton 22 SC - able, but looking to move. He's not renowned for being a serious striker, and his future is in doubt. However until replacements arrive he'll definitely be in the mix.

Conclusions: weak, and lightweight. Seeking a loan move could be wise, but goals needed.

The Waiting Game

The week that had followed since that initial meet up with Jack Warner on the football pitch had seen early developments already in Mickey's desire to make it big at professional level. His efforts had not gone un noticed, and though it was of course true many passers by were more taken by the sight of a two foot tall kid mixing it comfortably with kids more than twice his size, there were a few footballing men with a keen eye for talent, who had taken down his name, and had a quick word with Jack in private.

Mickey meanwhile had taken the advice given to him on board - he maintained the fitness regime given to him, and looked to work on his distribution skills, with help given by his willing brother and father who relished aiding Mickey's unlikely quest. In one form or another he'd be out practicing and preparing for 8 hours a day, and the fine tuning of his ball control picked up considerably as a result. The hard work was already paying dividends early on and with sustained efforts, his confidence in his ability grew further, as his personal doubts dissipated. He also realised how many players could play at least at conference level if they put the effort in. The change in his game over just a work - combined with a really healthy diet had provided him with a platform to work from.

Of course it was hardly likely to be as easy as that, as Jack had warned him after a couple of days of hard training. " Mickey, I'll be honest again. Remember, even though we could get you a trial, and even if you get in, there's still a great deal of work to do to even make it to and then establish yourself in the first team. Don't forget that." The words were obvious, but necessary and they didn't go unappreciated.

On the fourth day after the first try out, Mickey had been introduced to one of the scouts watching the training. He was open minded and complimentary. Representing Burscough, he offered to take Mickey on a two day trial to give him the opportunity to impress the manager Shaun Teale - the former Aston Villa defender no less. It had been an offer Mickey was willing to consider, and almost jumped into a response before Jack calmly restrained him. Jack, speaking on his behalf, postponed the offer, telling the bespectacled gentleman he'd receive an answer the following week.

Mickey was initially angry at this interjection but was soothed with Warner's response. The talent had been spotted at a higher standard, and there were rumours that, in the friendly pitched with Hartlebury U18's on the Wednesday, there would even be some league representatives, coaches, scouts and perhaps the odd manager at the match. It had been well publicised that Owen Newitt of Kidderminster Harriers would be doing the local rounds, and soon Mickey's optimism returned.

Now, was the eve of the match itself, and Knick Knack could barely sleep. Try as he might, nothing would settle him, as thoughts ran through his mind of what would happen tomorrow. He kept reminding himself not to build up the match any higher than necessary. It was a friendly match and the pressure was little. Expectations on the neutral would not be too high - all he had to do was play his game, keep running and show what he could do. A decent impression would equal another chance, and possibly that shot at glory he'd always aimed for.

The Game

Owen Newitt had established his network of scouts for a more thorough nationwide search, and had even tabled early bids to young free talents from the continent, expected to bolster the numbers in midfield, before deciding to tour the parks in the final week before the pre-season match with Worcester City. One match, of course, he would be taking in was the game in which Mickey Swarfiga was playing in. He had not been tipped off by any names and consequently knew not what to expect, but all the same by 4pm that Wednesday he was there on the sidelines amid a crowd that must have totalled near to 150.

Jack was present too, casting an eye around the spectators trying to spot the talent scouts on display for this mere friendly. Indeed other kids' parents seemed somewhat bemused by the extraordinarily high turnout. With Hartlebury lining up in blue shirts, black shorts, and Droitwich Spa in the traditional red and black strip costs, the wind seemed to die down moments before the referee - in the traditional black strip blew the whistle to kick off the match.

Mickey, settled on the left wing, was something of a bystander in the early encounters with a great deal of the match based on the other side of the pitch, but after his side successfully defended a corner, his new team mates broke out swiftly, and Mickey received the ball on the touchline just shy of the halfway line. With all eyes on the highly diminuitive figure, Mickey began to run at the defender in front of him. The bulky 6 footer seemed to grin as he came towards Mickey, looking to simply kick the ball away, but as his gangly leg arched back ready to intercept, Mickey pushed the ball past the defender's left leg, and ducking, ran right between the shocked defenders legs, with a flaying right arm catching the teenager where it hurts. It excited the on-lookers now as he kept running with the ball down the flank before sending a cross field pass to the inside left about 20 metres away. The move broke down fairly swiftly but the first glimpse had been sighted.

The rest of the first half continued in the same vein with Mickey gaining from break outs, and fast attacks, whilst when play had moved to the other wing his involvement was drastically minimised. Still, he played the short passes, used his brain and kept his position well - the best he could do until a more opportune moment arrived. The match wasn't without negatives for Mickey though, and his height did ensure that any long balls sent his way had a tendency to bounce over him or out of play. Where an average player would collect a bouncing ball on their midrift, Mickey struggled to head it back into play. By half time, and with the score at 2-1 to Hartlebury, the oranges were more than welcome.

A few of the scouts began talking amongst each other, but Jack kept the side focussed on completing the game and doing all they could without trying to do what they patently couldn't. Keep it simple was the message and in the second half, that is how it began to be panned out. In a ten minute spell of long ball football, Mickey was clearly nothing more than a spectator, but with patience his chance arrived, and it was taken upon with relish. Again, he collected the ball wide left, and this time he cut back inside.

His pace and agility was frightening - as the opponents fearing tackling him and accidentally kicking him in the head. When one plucky centre back advanced to try and push him wide, he was left gaping as the ball was flicked through his legs, and a darting Mickey nipped round him collected the ball and headed goal wards. With players closing, he did pass inside to Jay Doe, a striker, and took up a more central position around the 'D'. Evading the glances of a watchful defence proved simple enough - as he used his physical attributes to considerable advantage. As Doe tried to battled into the area, a challenge arrived poking the ball out into the path of the waiting Mickey. There was only one place this ball was going. A quick check to control it, Mickey reared back and swung a vicious foot at it, and then watched gleefully as it curved high over the defenders and the stranded goalkeeper who didn't see it until it was two late, and the scores were tied.

If that was seen as the centrepiece to Mickey's display this afternoon, then the outswinging cross with ten minutes go for Paul Sharpe to head in was the crowning glory. A wonderfully flighted ball was met with the piercing forehead of the striker to ensure victory. However, the game wasn't about the result - enjoyable though it was, and at full time, a very short of breath Mickey, stumbled off the park towards the dressing room, his thoughts split evenly between: showers, oranges and talent scouts.

Of those scouts and coaches and managers in attendance, at least twenty went back with positive details to report, and many shared a few anecdotes about the cute little midget on the wing. One though was impressed enough to talk to Jack Warner. It would be pointless hiding his identity - it was of course Owen Newitt. The Kidderminster manager, over a possible trial over the next couple of days. With the invitation accepted, Owen began his journey back home to tie up other loose ends, leaving Jack to tell a very knackered Knick Knack some very exciting news.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kidderminster Shuttle

A. Barnacle

Shock Signing Stuns Supporters

At 2pm yesterday afternoon, Owen Newitt, Harrier Manager, along with chairman Donald Smith announced to a small gathering of journalists the first purchases of the Newitt Era at Aggborough. As speculated last week, one of the signings was indeed young Portuguese talent, Rombo, recently released by his club side Teixosense, who joins on a three year deal.

However, the shock came when the second signing was presented. Immediate thoughts when Mickey Swarfiga was presented to the crowds, was dear lord, this has to be some kind of publicity stunt gone wrong. We have been assured that it is not the case, but the signing of two foot tall Swarfiga certainly raised eyebrows among the more hardcore contingent of the Harriers faithful.

Owen who's prized target of a goalkeeper still eludes him seemed highly content with the two signings - both of whom will be seen in the friendly with Worcester City this evening, moved to quash any qualms early on by insisting he had seen first hand the talent of both players.

" I would like to take this opportunity to say now, before any unfounded rumours begin, that I witnessed both players in person and both acquisitions are made purely on their technical merits. Both are young talents with an eye for glory. Both wish to develop their talents and both are very credible professionals. Rombo has the talents one might expect of a continental, with skills adept to the wing, whilst Mickey is also a fellow winger with special attributes of his own.

"I say to the doubters now... why not give these men a chance before writing them off? They both have talent as you will soon discover and I ask to throw away any supposed judgements you have already made based merely on superficial substance. Come tonight and watch. There you will see for yourself."

Early reaction to these signings proved one of shock as fans were initially highly sceptical of the move for Swarfiga. Some of the comments were along the expected, and we shall not be printing them here, as the fans find it hard to take it seriously. However, the underlying feeling though is that despite serious reservations - they will indeed wait to see before judging.

Owen went on to dismiss rumours he had already found his goalkeeper before talking of the side's chances of success this season. He hopes to finish as high as possible in the table, with the support of the fans in full attendance. Tonight's fixture with the rivals from Worcester kicks off at 7.30pm and tickets range from 4-9 pounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mickey read the article again, this time letting his parents read over his shoulder. As could be expected perhaps but he'd lost the will to care if people were going to be cynical. He was the professional footballer now and jealousy would only be par for the course. Finishing it, he again looked up at his parents, grinned and hugged them like a maniac again. They embraced and just offered congratulations again - he'd done it - and they were proud of their son. The determination in the face of a resistant public was to be admired. They knew this was no guarantee of any kind of a career but it was the start - the chance Mickey had craved.

Signing on the line at 50 pounds a week, Mickey didn't expect to be mixing it in the first team for a while, and even thoughts of a loan to a lower league side had been broached to keep him in competitive action. The elation that carried over from when Jack had first told him of the news hadn't particularly subsided in the days that had followed. The signing was more or less imminent. A trial the day after the match, and by 2pm he'd been dressed up in the red and white kit of the Harriers, a Division 3 outfit. The evening had passed by with great celebrations and alcohol supped. Mickey took it a bit too far and egged on by his siblings ended up regretting the midnight jape:

too much for Mickey

• 2 weeks later...

Kidderminster Shuttle

A. Barnacle

Humble Pie All Round?

Last night in a close, eager encounter with rivals Worcester City, there was a great deal to behold on show for the spectators, and indeed it appears on initial claims, that both new signings are worthy of their addititions, including young master Swarfiga. There were many other journalists on a national level reporting on this match, clearly waiting to see how a midget would cope in such a match. To his credit the winger acquited himself very creditably and we should be treating him like any other player.

In a match that ended scoreless, with Stuart Brock claiming the man of the match award for some impressive saves, both Mickey, or Nick Nack as he likes to be called, and Rombo proved threats down the right wing. Indeed the former's lack of height worked to his advantage when it came to evading challenges, clearly compensating for the clear disadvantages when the game is played in the air.

Of course there were the chants one might expect from the cruder elements of a rowdy crowd, but to the young man's credit he ignored them all - most likely immune to them by now, and certainly made a few cynics in our media seats revise our views of who can and can't play football, and perhaps also as significantly, the extent to which physically disadvantaged folk are actually limited in society. On this evidence, with the right amount of determination - anything seems possible.

It was quite fitting to hear Survivor's - Eye of the Tiger pumping out of the PA as the players approached the pitch, despite this being merely a warm up to the two club's respective seasons. It is quite hard to ascertain the true value of the teams on show, what with the plethora of substitutes, but whilst Worcester seem set for another challenge for promotion to the Conference, Kidderminster's fate still lies largely unknown. It might not be until October before we really understand what this side are potentially capable of. A face that may not be recognised is that of Steve Howard, as the Luton forward's loan move was only finalised at noon today. He looked rusty, but will no doubt higher league experience to the striking posse.

Kidderminster : Brock, Hinton Joy (Stamps 49), Sali (Smith 49), Ayres (Blake 67), Nick Nack (Rombo 49), Yates ( Bennett 67), Foster (Ducros 49), Howard (Lewis 49) Shilton ©.

Worcester: Wyatt, Holloway (Carty 53), Shail, Weir, Greenman (Davies 77), Snape (Heeley 41), Middleton, Purdie ©, Hadley (83 Owen ) Webster (Goodman 64),Woods (Ellis 53)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mickey was pleased with how his first appearance in a professional club's colours had gone, and in front of his parents too he'd certainly performed to above expectations. Indeed the pirouette before being subbed, to deceive two closing defenders had received a ripple of applause as it soon led to an incisive cross - one unfortunately not capitalized on. Whilst hardly the world beater no-one was expecting, he had performed himself creditably and was worthy of his place in the side. Given his tender 17 years of age, there was plenty of room for improvement.

Now, with that behind him, his early nerves had further waned. By competing with adults he had made another crucial step towards his dream career. At the present moment he was sitting in the stands at Aggborough just looking out onto the pitch, where the groundsmen were resurfacing the grass in preparation for the season's debut with Hartlepool in three days time. With a slight autumnal breeze in the air, Mickey's contented disposition was broken by the return of manager Owen Newitt with his lukewarm coffee.

" So Mickey, how'd you enjoy the match with Worcester?"

"I loved it, boss. Thanks for taking a chance on me."

"Hey, everyone deserves an equal chance don't they? I saw you in that Droitwich match and you really impressed me - like you did the other scouts watching, and the fans who were surprised by how well you did the other night. I can only imagine that sometimes you may feel societies not exactly on your side, but it takes guts to prove the doubters wrong - and I think you can do that. How far you go now is up to you!"

"Cheers, again. So how involved do you see me being in the first team for now?"

"Well at present, you're still a little way off. You have potential but if you keep working you'll be there. We've got experience on the left, and two to three other alternatives for the right wing this season. You will get your chance, I can guarantee that, but we'll help prepare you more for that level in reserve football, or maybe even taking a loan."

"Oh ok. "

"Don't take it the wrong way kid - you have talent, it's why John Deakin and I are happy to have you on board, but I won't build your hopes up unfairly. Anyway, you're always on the fringes. Any injuries and your chance may come sooner than you think! I've spoken with your friend Jack and I know the drill. Be proud you've made it this far, and I'll see you in training later this afternoon. I've got to get out of here - sort out a bit of paperwork and prepare for the match on Saturday. Got your ticket?"

"Yeah, I'll be there, cheer the boys on!"

"Aye, good good. Just watch and learn, see how it goes, and when you get your chance, profit from it. Well, take care Mickey, and see you post match then."

Owen left his new charge to contemplate his sudden change of surroundings, before leaving to continue his search for an available goalkeeper, talented and willing to sign for peanuts. It wasn't the easiest of tasks so far. For Mickey. he soon left the club's ground and returned home. He thought of the first step he had made and of the how hard he would need to work to establish himself as a regular player. With a good healthy meal inside him, it was back off to the training ground once more.

Kidderminster Shuttle

A. Barnacle

New Man Newitt Suffers Loss

New Harriers Boss Owen Newitt could only watch on as his Kidderminster side suffered their first competitive defeat on the opening day match at home to Hartlepool United. The match began well for both sides, and it was a very even affair, lying 1-1 at half time before Hartlepool demonstrated the cutting edge missing from the home side's performance to take a distorted view of the overall play. For Newitt, there was still plenty to be optimistic about.

" In football you are learning all the time. Of course I am disappointed with the result, we could have done better with the marking. However we will improve on that and ensure we cut out the errors for the next match. If you look at the balance of play we enjoyed the lions share and created more of the openings. However we didn't convert, they did and we were duly punished. For our efforts we deserved a draw at the very least, but this is football and unless you produce you don't always get your rewards."

The scoring was opened by Hartlepool's Ritchie Humphreys, easily the most skilled player on the pitch as he converted a Paul Stephenson cross. Kidderminster responded well and midfielder Lee Yates had two good chances to restore parity, both times denied by the agility of goalkeeper Tony Williams. However, there was plenty to cheer five minutes before half time when midfielder Sean Parrish played in tenacious forward Drewe Broughton to score the first goal of the Newitt era.

At 1-1 at half time, Kidderminster initially seemed to be in the ascendency. Ian Foster fired wide after the restart from close range, whilst winger Dean Bennett saw a dipping long range strike only just clawed away by Williams in the net. The turning point was possibly the unfortunate injury to Broughton on 58 minutes. The striker's replacement, on loan forward Steve Howard was able enough but the rythym had been temporarily disrupted - allowing Hartlepool back in.

The visitors soon took advantage as Ritchie Humphreys used his skill to evade three defenders, and scoring rather fortuitiously from a scuffed shot which John Danby should have dealt far better with. Indeed the goalkeeping situation is something Newitt acknowledges he needs to address, and after Danby's confidence was shaken by that error it was almost destroyed when he missed coming from a cross just 4 minutes later allowing midfielder Eiffon Williams to head home a killer goal. After that, despite a brief rally, Kidderminster never seriously threatened and the game ended in a slightly lacklustre fashion.

The goalkeeper position is one that Newitt seems set to address in the not too distant future as he responded to when questioned. " Yes, we've managed to identify a player we previously thought not within our reach. The situation has changed and I've persuaded Donald he's worth making a small investment for. We've lodged a bid, and now we're simply awaiting the acceptance or not of that bid. He's experienced, that's all I'l say at this moment in time."

Whoever does come in, will have a fairly competent defence in front of him, but will need to be on top form this season as back up at the present time seems very slight, with both Stuart Brock and John Danby highly inexperienced. The match saw neither Rombo nor Swarfiga make an appearance. Both were on the sidelines watching from the stands.

Kidderminster 1 Broughton 40 Hartlepool 3 Humphreys 13, 58, Williams 62

Kidderminster 4-4-2: Danby 4; Ayres 7, Joy 6 Smith 5 Hinton 5; Yates 7 Bennett 7, Blake 6, Parrish ; Foster 6, Broughton 7 ( 59 Howard 6)

Hartlepool 4-4-2: Williams 7; Bass 7, Coathup 7 Westwood 7 Barron 6; Widdrington 7 (91 Sweeney 6), Clarke 7, Tinker 7, Stephenson 8, Humphreys 9 (MoM), Watson 6 (59 Williams 7)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A day on the sidelines had still been an enjoyable one for Mickey, as it allowed him to have a shot at evaluating his new side. They certainly played well enough in parts, whilst those on the wing in his position would clearly provide stiff competition. Thed result was disappointing and he did hope the club signed a decent keeper sooner or later as the two current young blokes were certainly not that terrific, despite having youth on their side.

Of course old friends were now calling him up congratulating him on the move, asking when he would be playing and the occasional cheeky request for free tickets to the next match. They only cost ten quid the blinking cheap skates! After enjoying a very relaxed Sunday - in which he hit a few golf balls with his dad, chatted about the football in general with dad placing another one of those season predicting accumulators for all the leagues - Manchester United, West Brom, Cardiff, Rushden and Doncaster - he took in a rented movie with his brothers and sisters - with home made popcorn for that sad extra cinema effect, he took in an early night ahead of training again.

On the Monday it was back into training and once he'd got out of his specially adapted car, he was soon met by his new team mates - well those who had arrived early on, as they stole a march on the warm up and playing a bit of champions doubles until the others arrived. Needless to say Mickey did pretty crap when it came to his turn in goal. With his jump and an outstretched hand only going just above halfway to the crossbar. It took only an hour or so before one James Bond fan - Drewe Broughton made the allusion to Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun and the nickname swiftly stuck once more. However, always better to be recognized, Mickey grinned to himself - and essential to have a sense of humour too.

The session itself proved as enjoyable as it was tough, with Mickey recognizing this would seriously keep him in fit shape if nothing else. The bonds within the side were already fairly close for those already present and it was a fine feeling to be welcomed so warmly into the fold by the others. Hell, he found it very easy joking with Dean Bennett a player who was occupying one of the roles he was in competition with. Early days seemed to highlight Adie Smith as the practical joker in the side. He'd labeled Mickey's peg as the one highest to the ceiling - but he also placed a few 'steps' underneath it - ensuring Mickey felt he had to climb up to get there.

The rest of the weeks sessions continued in the same vein, with Mickey discovering Wednesday was clearly the more enjoyable day - when all the 5-a sides and scrimmage's took place, and running was at minimum. The banter continued to flow freely amongst all the players, although Bo Henriksen the striker always came across as somewhat distant from the others. He was better than the others here, so maybe he felt a little too good for the present company. Either way Mickey found it hard to get to know the Dane, not that he minded too greatly as he chatted away idly his experiences so far with friends down at the park.

Owen Newitt

For Owen Newitt, the match had proved highly disappointing despite his public praise for the efforts shown. Yes, they had played well but the defensive errors and goalkeeper slips were too basic for his liking. John Danby spent the next couple of days on intensive ball handling training with Deaks, as Stuart Brock seemed even shakier at the present time. His potential signing was also taking longer than expected, and it was very unlikely a signature would arrive before the weekend clash with Rochdale or maybe even the League Cup tie at Scunthorpe.

That aside, he was pleased that his two young signings had integrated themselves comfortably within the squad as both Rombo and especially Mickey had felt a bit of pressure to prove themselves amongst their peers. Mickey indeed had certainly helped revise a few outdated opinions, although the number of midget jokes had increased exponentially. With a tight reign on finances though he would have to really focus on motivating the players this season. Owen was looking forward to it - he had enjoyed the previous challenge of managing other local clubs - especially at Worcester where he had been used to working with young stars - albeit nobodies.

This time around he had the professionals - and hopefully he could really make a name for himself here. Ever since he was a kid he had been a fanatic of the sport. Playing at any substantial level had never been an option due to two key factors: lack of talent and application. Once he'd grown up however, the dolldrums of his part time work in various fast food eateries or various antique stores wore him down, and he decided he had to try and least live a dream or go nuts. That's when the Worcester City job came up - taking on a team with literally no players whatsoever, and having to find a bunch of willing locals to team up in an experimental side. Success had been gradual but they had survived a first season in the conference, before making a spirited charge for promotion - as Owen left a side now burgeoning with semi pros and ex pros at the helm to guide the club along.

He took on a spell at Bromsgrove Rovers too - bringing them back up to a credible level once more - since their drastic fall from grace in 1998 when they were relegated from the Conference. It was a relegation that spawned further drops down into the West Midlands Combined Counties Division. In his two years at Victoria Ground, promotions and a development of the youth on site enabled the club to look to a future where returning to the Conference is a viable possibility. He left there due to personal reasons of his own - he needed to treat his young wife Sally Swallow who was suffering from a semi serious form of Leukemia. Thankfully she did recover, and with a full head of hair once more - you'd never know what she'd been through but it had taken a substantial amount of energy out of Owen, resulting in a short break from the game.

However, once re-energised there was a look to get back into the sport and continue his career in management. Of course it took a stroke of luck as Ian Britton decided against becoming a permanent boss after a short caretaker spell, but one Owen was now determined to grasp with both hands. Back at home with Sally, he continued talking with her about the side's potential fate, whilst also reminiscing over times past at Worcester - especially sharing jokes at the time both her and another lady Joanne had to play for the first team due to a complete absence of willing players.

The next match at home to Rochdale was fast approaching and Owen hoped his players earned the just rewards for their efforts put in. With Danby working 1-2-1 with John Deakin, the defence would hopefully actually have some confidence in their goalkeeper

• 2 weeks later...

Kidderminster Shuttle

A. Barnacle

Newitt Notches First Point

Owen Newitt earned his first point of the season at Aggborough yesterday afternoon following a hard fought draw with Rochdale. All the action arrived in a pulsating first half which saw the visitors take an early lead before Kidderminster scored twice in an encouraging spell to take the lead, only for Rochdale to tie up once more shortly before half time.

The start proved disastrous initially as in the very first minute, a shot from Ian Bishop was deflected in off the legs of Craig Hinton past Kidderminster as the Harriers were slow out of the blocks. Worse was to follow not sixty seconds later, when right sided midfielder Dean Bennett was injured in a clash with Des Lyttle and had to be withdrawn for young 16 year old replacement Nick Heath. Heath fortunately showed the maturity and talent to cope on his debut remarkeably well.

John Danby, still keeping goal for the Harriers at the moment showed a vast improvement on the previous weeks match to repel further efforts from a charged up Rochdale. His performance throughout is something that will hopefully please boss Newitt as he keeps up his search for an experienced number one, currently believed to be former Swindon Town netminder Frazer Digby.

Kidderminster drew level on 18 minutes when midfielder Danny Williams picked up on a loose ball and sent it over into the area where captain Mark Blake was on hand to head into the net. That goal seemed to turn the tide somewhat and it was Kidderminster who were suddenly exerting all the pressure and striker Bo Henriksen was twice denied in the space of a minute by Neil Edwards in the visiting net.

On 36 minutes the crowd were cheering loudly as Ian Foster handed Kidderminster the lead. Nick Heath's excellent run and 30 yard pass to Scott Stamps saw the full back play in Sean Parrish and the midfielder crossed low for Foster to strike in at the near post. It was a well earned one too as Newitt's touch was certainly noticed in crafting that goal together. Sadly though the frailties were still evident in the side and Rochdale were not behind for long and on 40 minutes it was 2 apiece as a defensive mix up gave Danby no chance and it was in.

The second half proved to be an even affair though there were no serious goal threatening opportunities. John Danby continued to make some fine saves in goal, a credit to him after the criticism that came his way beforehand, whilst for Nick Heath an opportunity to impress has certainly arisen on the right wing after Bennett's injury. Afterwards, Newitt commented:

"Well obviously it was an improved performance in many respects, we got a point and scored two good goals. Sadly we still have weakness' at the back which need to be addressed. Danby's performance was encouraging though we should have a new experienced man to help guide him, in the next couple of days. Bennett's injury was a blow and he will be out of action for up to three weeks.

Of course the silver lining here is that Nick proved himself quite adept at coming in on his debut, and we shall be able to give one of the new youngsters, either Mickey or Rombo a chance to impress on the right, or at least gain experience on the bench! I always try to take the positives from the game, and hopefully we can build on this point in our next match." [/i]

Kidderminster 2 Blake 18, Foster 36 Rochdale 2 Hinton o.g.1 Platt 40

Kidderminster 4-4-2: Danby 9; Ayres 7, Stamps 8 Smith 7 Hinton 6; Yates 7 Bennett 6 ( 2 Heath 7), Blake 7, Parrish 7 ; Foster 8 (55 Lewis 7), Henriksen 7 ( 55 Howard 6)

Rochdale 4-4-2: Edwards 8, Lyttle 7 Doughty 7 Griffiths 6 Macauley © 7, Bishop 6 (82 Flitcroft 6) Hodges 7 Beeches 6 Platt 8 Connor 6 (82 Townson 7) Simpson 7

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mickey had been reading the report in the paper left in the club's training ground by the small canteen when Owen came over to talk to the kid.

" I see you've read the paper then. What did you think of the game son?"

"Well we we had our good spells didn't we? Could have won it but I'm sure we'll keep improving."

"Yes, I'm sure you will and so will the side. Anyway Mickey, thought I'd tell you, with Dean's injury keeping him out of action for three weeks, Nick will be more involved in the first team, but he's only 16. Now this leaves open a spot on the bench Mickey... and it's not going to Rambo..."

"Really!?! This soon?"

"Yes Mickey. You've been doing well in training and you've earned a chance. This doesn't mean you've made it yet though - long way to go!"

"Yeah, I know thanks again! See you later."

Mickey was left in a wonderful mood after that brief conversation. Training passed in a joyous blur knowing he would be on the bench for the next match - just imagine that! Also thrilled of course were his parents and siblings who immediately purchased tickets for Kidderminster's next league match away to Leyton Orient. There was a first round match at Scunthorpe to go first, for which Mickey had been aware he wouldn't be involved in. A further call was also made to Jack to inform his former mentor of developments, and Jack unsurprisingly was thrilled to hear it.

There was little training on the Tuesday due to the Cup match, and with Mickey not travelling down to that match, being able to watch it on Sky Sports 3, he relaxed with his friends down a bar, where his stature gained no small amount of attention especially in light of his recent signing of professional terms. Many congratulatory words masked the jokes in darker corners of the room. Staying safe with a coke and ice, he sat down, ordered a plaice and chips and enjoyed the nights entertainment with friends - catching up on their respective paths in either education or temp jobs, Ryan waitered, Dave was still pretending he was a professional actor in waiting. As far as Mickey could tell the only proof of that so far was on the football park.

As for the match itself, well Owen's side were unlucky. Nick Heath ran around pretty effectively from Mickey's view as did the other midfielders, particularly Danny Williams, as Mickey took notes. Halfway through the match he also noted another familiar face in the bar - it was Rombo - the Portuguese youth also taking an eye for the competition, though he avoided eye contact with Mickey. Scunthorpe seemed to always contain an extra ounce of pace to their game which was slowly beginning to open up the Harriers bit by bit, with a goal seeming to be inevitable eventually. The longer the match wore on, the longer hopes remained of scalping a decent win, and Mickey found himself fervently caught up in the match and his team mates fates, rather than any sort of conversation with his friends.

They stuck around however, and made their presence known somewhat cruelly, when in the 88th minute Scunthorpe scored what proved the winning goal as the Harriers defence just didn't hold out long enough. '1-0! 1-0! 1-0!' rang around Mickey's ears for the next ten minutes thereafter. At which point Mickey grabbed a nearby pool cue and stuffed it between an unfortunate friend's legs. Shortly afterwards, the cue was used for it's rightful purpose, as with the aid of a stool and a custom cue ( read snapped in half ) Mickey beat his mates in more conventional fashion to make up for Kiddy's loss.

Kidderminster Shuttle

B. Barnacle

Digby In As Harriers Shore Up

Manager Owen Newitt finally found his man yesterday afternoon when he completed the signing of 34-year old Frazer Digby from Queens Park Rangers for 70,000 pounds. The star never played for the London club but he has been the number one at Swindon Town for ten years throughout the divisions, and more recently spent a two season spell at Crystal Palace helping the side maintain their status in the First Division.

Newitt expressed his delight claiming he was now generally happy with the squad for the foreseeable future. "We have the players we need now I think - though of course that won't mean I don't have my eye open for further talent to boost our squad. Frazer brings us what we desperately need in goal - talent and experience - and I hope both John and Stuart can learn from him."

Digby is expected to make his debut on Saturday when Kidderminster travel to Leyton Orient...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 25th August

Owen had been thinking about the game at Leyton Orient and where his side had gone wrong so far. Creating chances hadn't been the main problem, but the chances were often only half ones and it would have been unfair to apportion much blame to the strikers. With a solid goalkeeper between the sticks he was hoping for better success in the Capital though he was only too aware it would be a tough match. Changes would be made to the line up, but it wasn't a game he envisaged Mickey making his debut in either, and had translated that to the boy to prevent any hopes soaring too high.

Kidderminster Shuttle

26. 08. 01

by C. Barnacle

Harriers Dig Deep To Secure Victory

Inspired by a superb debut from Frazer Digby, Kidderminster clung on in a tense final quarter to take home their first three point spoils of the campaign. Although the match had began a very even affair between the two sides, in the final half hour, the home side, still a goal bound threw hell for leather at the Kidderminster goal only to see the defence repel each attack with renewed vigour. Splendid stops from Digby were a highlight of this defensive rearguard.

The first 30-40 minutes certainly seemed to fall in the visitors favour though as both strikes on target found the back of the net, sandwiching an Orient equaliser to hand Kidderminster a 2-1 advantage. After a vibrant opening of end to end football it was Ian Foster who drew first blood. Sean Flynn's work in midfield led to Nick Heath being released down the right wing and a low cross from the youngster was brilliantly converted by the forward and Newitt must have hoped his side would soon press home the advantage as they appeared to move into the ascendancy.

However just as Kidderminster looked to be bossing their hosts, a swift counter-attacking move caught the defense cold. Matt Lockwood's corner was headed on by Ciaran Toner forcing Digby into a swift double save, but unfortunately the ball fell at the feet of Carl Hutchings who scored his first goal in Orient colours. Despondency at having held the lead for such a short while did not last long. Frustration manifested itself into determination and not two minutes later Kidderminster were back in front.

The goal arrived from a first attack. The O''s had tried to reinforce their advantage with a successive attack, and then Digby's long ball downfield saw Bo Henriksen successfully latch onto it outside the penalty area and a first time swivel and shot flew into the top corner. It was a wonderful strike and epitomised route one football somewhat. With defence, midfield and fellow strike partner bypassed, it was a two man show. It sparked a furious comeback before half time but Kidderminster held out, the back line calmly led by the excellent Mark Blake.

In the second period the half began as the first had, with chances at both ends, though Kidderminster adopted a more cautious approach with one eye clearly focused on protecting their lead. With Orient also prepared to time their threat, Owen replaced Adam Smallman and the tiring Bo Henriksen with little under twenty minutes to go - intent on saving legs. There was no place however for Mickey Swarfiga on the park today as he remained benched throughout. Afterwards Newitt explained his decisions.

" Under the circumstances it would have been a great deal of pressure to send in a kid on his debut and expect them to perform well. Nick [Heath] maybe younger, but he has experience and he did particularly well in creating Ian's goal in the first half. The changes I did make were made on a leg saving basis for Bo, and putting on Lee in preparation for the onslaught which I expected."

The attack did come but it is to Kidderminster' credit that they were prepared. Leyton threw the proverbial sink at the Harriers in the closing stages as Lee Thorpe and Graham Antony had vicious efforts well pushed away and held in the latter's case late on by Frazer Digby as a Man of the Match award for Diggers and 3 points for the team proved the net result, a resounding sigh of relief was felt at the final whistle.

Leyton Orient 1 Hutchings 35 Kidderminster 2 Foster 29, Henriksen 37

Leyton Orient 4-4-2: Evans 6; Joseph 7 Lockwood 7, Smith 6 McGhee 7, Anthony 7, Campbell-Ryce 7; Hutchings 8, Toner 7; Thorpe 8 Fletcher 7 (64 Nugent 7)

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby 9, Hinton 7, Stamps 6, Smallman 6 (72 Ayres 7), Blake 7; Flynn 6, Heath 7, Williams 7 Parrish 7; Henriksen 7 (72 Lewis 6), Fosters 8

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monday 27th August

Division 3 Match 4

Oxford United vs Kidderminster Harriers

Mickey had enjoyed watching the Orient match as much as he could from the sidelines though it had of course been difficult in the final sector. You can always have confidence in your team mates, but even so, protecting a single goal lead always creates nerves. However, if Mickey had been nervous then, it was nothing compared to how he was feeling now. Right now, at 2.05 pm he was sitting in the dressing room, above him was a peg named Swarfiga on it, and draped around it were Mickey's clothes. Mickey himself was wearing the Red and White of the Harriers - and no this wasn't a reserve team match.

With it being Bank Holiday Monday Owen had wanted to conserve legs and Nick Heath had been knackered after lasting the full 90 minutes. With Dean Bennett still injured there had of course been a spot left open for another winger. Again Rombo was consigned to the reserves, and to the delight of a Swarfiga family Mickey got the starting nod. His debut on the right. His family were in the stands eagerly awaiting their star. From the previous match Mark Blake was pushed up into Danny Williams' role in midfield with Abdou Sali coming in at centre back.

Owen kept the same approach to the match encouraging the players to do themselves justice. The Kassam Stadium was a big one for this league and it's capacity was thrice that of Aggborough. Another away day beckoned, hopefully with a similar result. As the players took to the pitch there was an audible gasp from the home fans as they saw a two foot tall midget walk out in full colours. Some believed he was ball boy, others a marketing tool, whilst most soon convinced themselves he was another mascot. That was until the players took to their positions and there, clear as day stood Mickey on the right wing. Close to the crowd he heard the chants again, whilst pleasing from the more mature members there was some hope professed he would do well - and that was from Oxford fans!

What followed, can best be described as an anti climax. Mickey hadn't touched the ball inside 10 minutes, whilst Oxford had gone a goal up through in form Steve Basham. The forward had taken advantage of Bobby Ford's early dominance in midfield as Blake and Yates struggled to create a cohesive partnership. Basham's goal had been pretty direct and had given Digby no chance in the net.

The reaction to the goal was sadly lacking as a lethargic effort didn't provide a chance for Mickey to shine. With Sean Parrish struggling on the left wing, and with a yellow card to his name, The home side seemed to test Parrish heavily, with Mickey not seeing much of the ball. In a hard hittting midfield battle to, Mickey didn't even see the ball until moments before half time when a miskewed pass hit him on the head dazing him momentarily. It was proving a frustating afternoon - especially with family in attendance - he had hoped for better, and of course had dreamt of better.

In the second half, Owen employed a more attacking style eager to at least get back into the game. However, it wasn't working well with only wild efforts from Sean Parrish to the Kiddy attack. Mickey was suffering too - he continued to barely see any action save a rare moment when he was given some limited space to run into - only ended by a mis control which was tidied up by Oxford's defender. Midway through the second half it became game over as Carlin Itonga came on as a substitute and headed in a decisive second from which Kidderminster could find no way back, succumbing to their third defeat of the season already.

Oxford 2 Basham 10, Itonga 70 Kidderminster 0

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby 8, Hinton 7, Stamps 5, Smallman 6 (72 Ayres 7), Sali 6; Parrish 5 (88 Ducros 6), Nick Nack 5, Blake 6 Yates 6; Henriksen 7, Fosters 7 (56 Lewis 6).

Mickey

As far as debut's goes Mickey didn't particularly feel it was the best. He'd barely touched the ball, and though he could in no way be blamed for the loss, nor did he contribute much to the side's attacking strength. Supporters there must have wondered as to his actual suitability as a professional footballer - as it was certainly a match in which his weakness' were heightened. Owen wasn't worried, he had been aware that Mickey was far from the finished deal, but for the kid himself, any time you end up on the losing side having not enjoyed much action you can't help but feel responsible.

At home in the evening, he was encouraged by both siblings and parents alike, reminding him that further opportunities would come his way, as did Jack Warner a fellow fan from the stands in Oxford. Games would likely be sparse as Owen had told him, but all Mickey kept doing was reminding himself to keep expectations in check. He would be given another chance, and in one of them he would show the fans who Mickey Swarfiga really was. Then he switched on the telly and chucked his brain out the window to watch some food/house makeover combo show.

Owen Newitt

Whilst the defeat was a blow, Owen remained positive the side would continue to improve steadily. Two away games in two days could simply be excused for tired legs, which explained some of the poor performances. Owen would make some changes, including putting young Mickey back in the reserves to gain further experience and match practice. What he wouldn't tell his other coaches was, that Mickey had already attracted attention from overseas. His potential was there to the trained eye, with his physical status viewed as a very big positive.

A few days later Owen had more to keep him satisfied as highlighted in the local newspaper...

Kidderminster Shuttle

Hinton Appeases Newton In Deal

Owen Newitt was left feeling relieved last night after it was revealed that centre back Craig Hinton finally put pen to paper on a new three year deal offered to him almost a month ago. The 24 year old took his time to consider his options before talks with Newitt personally helped convince Craig his future lay at the Aggborough club...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a signing he had needed for peace of mind. Craig was a very talented central defender and though there were other options at the back, finding a replacement would have proved difficult - especially with the season already underway. That evening he sat down with his wife Sally and discussed the tactics on display so far. There were many youngsters in this side, with the likes of Lee Yates, and Danny Williams taking part and he realized rotation and rest would be the key to using them properly this season - creating an opportunity for the likes of Mickey and Rambo.

Saturday 1st September, Kidderminster v Scunthorpe @ Aggborough ND3 Match 5

Mickey was once more in the stands for this match, along with his friend Dave for this match as the home side looked to avenge the League Cup defeat earlier in the month. As for the side, an off form Adam Smallman still kept his place, whilst there was no room for Sam Shilton, the talented left wing back who had recently recovered from injury. Mickey had played with him in a knock about on the Thursday and been impressed with his skill - he was a player who certainly provided a benchmark to work from as to his personal progress. Also in the side was Steve Howard, the on loan Luton striker making his first start, as Ian Foster was rested for this match.

The opening exchanges proved fairly dour at best as both sides managed to cancel each other out as a strike on goal wasn't seen until the latter end of the first half. Even Mickey had grown weary with the play and took his time getting in an early burger and fries at half time - though that was also partly due to folk pushing in the queue unintentionally ahead of him. How many people expect to see a midget in line? Then when he arrived at the counter he had to get his mate Dave to tell the burger bloke where Mickey was. One patronizing comment later the sickly food soon arrived complemented with hideous onion rings, and it was back to the seated stand to peruse the matchday programme.

In the second 45, there was miraculously some action on the pitch as Scunthorpe striker Paul Wheatcroft hit an ambitious shot from 35 yards - only to see it sail over. It did though spark a reaction in the Kidderminster camp - just as the home fans were beginning to gruntle at the display on offer. Lee Yates had a volley from a Nick Heath centre flash narrowly past as the pace picked up. Nick then had to be taken off injured as a precaution - and slightly guiltily, Mickey's first thoughts were that another chance would open up again. Andy Ducros came on and the forward tried to take his chance to prove to Owen that he was indeed a footballer.

With the defence well marshalled by Craig Hinton, the midfield pushed up creating more pressure on the Scunthorpe back line, with Mark Blake in particular in impressive form. Bo Henriksen was twice sent through on goal by both Blake and then Yates but unfortunately the finishing touch was lacking as the match remained score less. With the fans and Mickey finally finding some voice, there was some reward in the final stages of the match. In the 83rd minute, Bo Henriksen's deep foray and run led to Mark Blake being able to run into space and collect the ball in the centre of the park and with players surging forward in a risky move, Blake's cross was heading in superbly by the man of the moment Craig Hinton.

The timely goal lifted spirits and deflated the visitors who then simply gave up altogether - not that they had been noticed much during the game, and five minutes later a fine team move saw the score doubled and the points secure. Hinton on the right played the ball forward to Andy Ducros who played inside to Lee Yates. Lee moved it further left to Mark Blake, but the midfielder wrong footed his dimwitted opponents by playing it straight back onto the right flank where Hinton was running into space and a fine cross was volleyed in by on loan forward Steve Howard. 2-0, game over and Mickey and Dave were happy enough with the result, even if the enforced trip to the toilet due the burger hadn't been quite as pleasant.

Kidderminster 2 Hinton 83, Howard 88 Scunthorpe 0

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby , Hinton (MoM), Stamps , Smallman, Smith ; Blake, Heath (inj 51 Ducros), Yates , Parrish ; Henriksen , Howard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

cheers Spav, sorry about the delay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good updates, well worth waiting for.

cheers Spav!

Kidderminster Shuttle

Heath Fit For Next Match

There was positive news from the scan on young Kidderminster Harriers winger Nick Heath's ankle yesterday evening when it was revealed it was nothing more than bruising. He will take time to recover but is likely to be available for the Saturday fixture away to Swansea. Boss Newitt was relieved at the news:

" Sometimes it can be one of those injuries where the tackle comes in slightly late and you're thinking ' oh christ, we've lost him for a while' but fortunately for Nick it's not that serious. However, I may use this opportunity to rest Nick for the match on Saturday and play one of the new kids instead...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Owen Newitt

A good three points had been acquired at the weekend and now as he and Sally sat at the restaurant awaiting their no doubt invisible food to arrive, they talked over their past year together ( it was an anniversary - hence the ridiculously overpriced and under present food ), and having enjoyed the lighter moments in their life, there was the inevitable turn to football in the conversation.

" I know love, three more points - it's all looking bright at the moment - a good career choice! Cheers!" Owen and Sally clinked glasses, drank and then Sally proposed another toast.

" To er, the kids at the club and success at Kidderminster." More clinking before Owen replied:

" And er, to not bothering with toasts and getting drunk regardless anyway!"

"I'll drink to that! But if we're going to do that, at least let's do it properly. Put down the rose and let's get some proper stuff!"

"Yeah good point. Waiter? Waiter?... WAITER? Ah thanks, sorry about that. Didn't see you there. Ok - yeah can we have a bottle of your finest single maltand bucket of Ice - and two glasses. "

"Can I just check that sir? Did you say a bottle of whiskey?"

"Oh so I did. Silly me - better make it two bottles! There's a good chap." The waiter turned somewhat dazed, but nonetheless with a certain amount of speed. On the other side of the table Sally looked slightly apprehensive.

" Two bottles Owen? Are you mad??"

"No. Just happy that's all! Hell none of the players are here..." he checked to just look around the fairly sparse room before continuing." - and we're going to celebrate our anniversary in style!"

"It was only our first time between us Owen..."

"And first kiss and date too, yes I know... ok well it's only 7 o'clock now - we have a night ahead of us - and John Deakin is doing the morning session with the other coaches anyway so we've got plenty of time... hardly a rush..." As Owen finished the waiter arrived with a receipt, the drinks, glasses and Ice as requested.

"That's true... ok... well then another toast..." Sally started, as she poured out two double measures over the ice." Here's to remembering what we do tonight!

"Cheers!

Mickey

Mickey was in the middle of preparing for a reserve match at Aggborough against Swansea when the call came from Owen. With Nick Heath not playing in the fixture at the weekend there was a spot open on the right. Dean Bennett had resumed some light training but would still be out for a further week to ten days anyway. This time though Mickey learned he would have to settle for a place on the bench - as Rombo had been elected to make his first professional start and appearance for the club instead. It was a decision he accepted without any problems. Being on the bench for matches still gave him satisfaction - being so close to the action knowing you could be called upon at any moment always kept the blood pumping. The news was swiftly relayed to Jack Warner and various family members.

Saturday 8th September

Third Division Match 6 @ Vetchfield

Swansea City v Kidderminster Harriers

For Owen the week had proceeded with a great deal of positive news. Both Dean Bennett and Drewe Broughton had started some fitness and light ball work since their injuries and would be back in action within two weeks. Rombo had performed well enough in training to be selected to start on the right, whilst Mickey was content with his role on the bench. The anniversary occasion with Sally had been very enjoyable indeed, and he was using a fair bit of mental strength to try and stop passing his mind back to what they got up to that night. It was quite embarrassing giving the pre match talk in a squatted position.

Swansea had not made a great start to their campaign and lay near the foot of the table with two points to their name so far and clearly thoughts were on earning another away victory. Lee Ayres was back into the centre of defence whilst Ian Foster returned in place of Steve Howard up front - and indeed it was Fosters early contribution that helped create the first goal of the match early on for Bo Henriksen. Making a lightening start to the game, Ian and Bo had already missed shots before the goal arrived in the 5th minute. Rombo was running all over the place eager to impress and it was his cross that found Foster in the area. Despite his shot being blocked, the rebound fell to the Dane and Henriksen slotted in his second of the season - and it kick started a fiery Kidderminster display.

Mickey on the bench was enjoying the spectacle, an early goal ensured Kidderminster were in the ascendancy and though he had to admit Rombo was doing well, Mickey felt he could play comfortably out there too. It was all smiles on the away bench, especially when ten minutes later more work from the energetic front two created the opening for a second goal. Henriksen's power got him past Ian Foster, whose trickery incited a foul in the area and a penalty was awarded. Winner of the pre-season penalty shoot out competition Lee Yates stepped up to take the kick and the 17 year old blasted in the second goal - and the visitors bench cheered mightily along with the traveling support. 2-0 up and they were in the comfort zone.

However, not three minutes later and there was a sense of deja vu as Owen lost another player to injury - leaving him questioning his own training methods and wondering if any of it was too intense. Young Lee was the victim this time, having to pull out with a bruised thigh. In his place was Sean Flynn and the experienced man did calm the midfield down, ensuring there would be disrupted momentum. Towards half time, John Williams and James Thomas both had shots saved by Frazer Digby as the home side tried to capitalize on complacency in the Kiddy camp, fortunately failing.

With a gee up at half time, and a safer choice of pre packaged sandwich for Mickey, it was game on once more - and the visitors in trying to regain authority on the match picked up quick yellow cards - for Sean Parrish and Scott Stamps. However, following a brief Swansea flurry - a killer third goal came Kidderminster's way and the points were effectively sealed. A free kick from Stamps was cleared - but only to the feet of Rombo on the right. The Portuguese demonstrated a touch of the continental flair to evade David Smith, carried it down the right flank before centering wonderfully for Stamps to smash in with his left foot. At 3-0 with half an hour to go - Owen felt confident - promptly withdrawing both Henriksen - for Howard, and Rombo - to applause from the away fans - for Mickey.

This was a better chance to impress - with the team full of confidence and result more or less known. A few neat touches and swift passes with his colleagues soon followed as he fitted in with the movement without any problems - though there was little incentive amongst his team mates to really search for a fourth. They were conserving energy - which was probably fair enough. With 5 minutes to go - Owen was irked yet again as now Ian Foster would be taken off injured with some kind of foot injury - and it was down to 10 men for the visitors. Despite being passed a couple of times by their left full back, Mickey still managed to make his own impression - ignoring the jeers to lob his marker, run round collect the ball on his foot and then scissor volley the ball perfectly inside to Howard. It was the kind of touch that perhaps explained a foreign presence in the crowd that afternoon...

Swansea City 0 Kidderminster 3 Henriksen 5, Yates pen 16, Stamps 59

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby , Hinton, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Rombo, Yates (inj 20 Flynn), Parrish ; Henriksen(MoM) (Howard 59), Foster.

Kidderminster Shuttle

D. Barnacle

Duo Out In Kidderminster's Win

The Harriers registered an impressive win yesterday in their 3-0 thrashing of Swansea City at The Vetch Field - but it came at a price as they lost two players. Young Lee Yates who dispatched the penalty and second goal will be missing from action for around 10 ten days recovering from a thigh injury, whilst Ian Foster who helped set up both the first two goals has suffered a broken toe and will take two weeks to recover from the injury. In a match where scouts from overseas were spotted in attendance Kidderminster started brightly....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wednesday 12th September

Division 3 Match 7" Aggborough

Kidderminster Harriers v Rushden & Diamonds

With Rushden in mid table but with promotion aspirations of their own and Kidderminster now in 7th after their recent wins, the match was set to be a close one. Of course for Owen there were enforced changes to the side. Steve Howard returned up front in place of the injured Ian Foster, whilst in for Lee Yates came Sean Flynn. For Mickey there was delight as he came in on the left wing this time for Sean Parrish. Matt Lewis took a spot on the bench. Mickey's start had been awarded for his cameo role in the win on Saturday and as per usual family and friends had once more been alerted - to come and offer their full support.

The sight of a three foot tall midget evidently still hadn't lost it's novelty with the latest set of opposing fans to make their mixed reactions known, however the Aggborough were rising to the challenge and out sung their visitors within a few minutes - aided a great deal by the twelfth minute strike from Steve Howard. Sean Flynn had sent a loose ball Howard's way, who subsequently played a swift 1-2 with Rombo to beat a marker, returned the ball to Rombo who moved out wide, and then converted the deep out swinging cross with aplomb. A fine goal and another assist for the Portuguese lad brought celebrations all round - even from Mickey - competition had to be good for him too.

Scott Stamps was called into action soon afterwards at the other end with a perfectly timed tackle as Rushden looked to make an immediate response. Onandi Lowe and Barry Hunter both seeing headers sail wide of the posts. It was an edgy opening for Mickey as well, though after twenty minutes he produced a moment to almost cherish when he skipped between two players, lobbing the ball over the heads, catching it on his right foot, flicking it to his left and then volleying the ball goalwards - only to see it saved by the goalkeeper fairly comfortably. Either side of Billy Turley and it would have been a talked about goal for a while.

That aside Blake and Flynn were stifling their opponents in midfield without really enabling the two wingers to excel much and the first half petered out a little tamely for Owen's liking. However with the lead in the bag he was still fairly happy with how the match was progressing. No injuries so far was another boost. Despite trying to drill in the importance of maintaining the dominance - the extra urgency from the visitors saw Rushden start the better side in the next 15 minutes of the second period. Tiring legs from the Kidderminster side weren't helping either and though the defence were holding out well enough - with Hinton still in admirable form, change was necessary.

The young legs of Danny Williams replaced Sean Flynn in the middle and that extra freshness certainly helped stem the tide, and even saw further chances to extend the lead. Bo Henriksen having collected a through ball from Rombo flicked his first time effort over the bar as well as the keeper sadly. The match was becoming a very tense affair as Rushden were showing greater signs of threatening to spoil the day and get the equaliser their pressure probably merited. With 18 minutes to go, Mickey was substituted having not seen as much of the ball as he'd have liked but still feeling relatively satisfied. Sam Shilton replaced him, whilst Matt Lewis came on for Bo. It helped the sharpness of the side and thankfully by keeping possession better, the team clung for another hard fought victory. Another three points and another clean sheet kept Owen very happy indeed.

Kidderminster 1 Howard 12 Rushden 0

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby , Hinton, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Rombo, Flynn, Nick Nack ( Shilton 72); Henriksen (Lewis 72) Howard.

Training Ground

Mickey was off at the side of the pitch having rested awhile after the warm down session on Thursday. It had only been a light session due to the match the previous day, but it had still been fairly tiring - especially in the autumnal sun that had shone down relentlessly, breeze free. He had picked up the paper, as per usual on the canteen side and now was flicking through it whilst walking back to the changing rooms, his team mates sporadically returning at their leisure. There was an interesting piece in the Shuttle which had linked him already with moves away and abroad. With sides such as Utrecht, Kilmarnock and even Sunderland interested in his progress, that had to mean good things. Clearly there was potential within him - after all he hadn't performed that well in his matches so far, so the talent spotters must be pretty knowledgeable. It was the kind of news that brought a warm feeling inside.

" Careful what you read in the papers son" The voice startled Mickey a moment as he turned around.

" Jack? What are you doing here, how are you?"

"I'm well kid. I'm just checking in on your progress. That's the shuttle there I see is it not?"

"Yeah it is! They've got a -"

"I read it Mickey. Be careful though there's always speculation abound. Scouts may have been spotted - but how can the press know who they were after? You've made good steps so far - but keep to the straight and narrow and you'll be fine. Progress and guidance is better than money. If you work hard you'll reap the rewards - with a move upwards if necessary."

"Yeah, I know Jack. Don't worry. I'm happy here - Owen's a good boss and I am happy here! I know I have to establish myself first and it takes time. It's just nice to know you've got admirers y'know? Back up options."

" Assuming it's true."

"Well obviously..."

"Ok, well how did you find last night then?"

"I enjoyed it Jack. Wish I'd scored that goal - would have been an awesome strike!" Mickey was re living the shot in his mind as he spoke.

" I l know I was willing it in myself! But you know - plenty of folk have almost scored wonder goals - you wouldn't believe how many!"

"Oh you killjoy Jack! I know - work hard, reap rewards, blah blah - I am aware of that! Come on! You know me better than others and my determination to prove a point and make a living out of sport?"

"Aye, I'm sorry - just trying to keep you in check that's all."

"Well I can manage fine Jack! No need to be so negative all the time." Mickey replied only half jokingly as he spotted first Dean Bennett spring through delightedly and then Owen walking in through the double doors. He was followed soon after by an irritated looking Stuart Brock.

" I wonder what's up with those two..." Jack wondered aloud.

" Well I don't think Stuart's been happy not playing in goal recently... probably to do with that I imagine... and anyway we'll find out soon enough!"

Kidderminster Shuttle

15. 09. 01

Brock Out Bennett Back

It emerged on Thursday that Stuart Brock has been placed on the transfer list after talks with manager Owen Newitt regarding the 24 year old's lack of first team action this season. He's behind both John Danby and Frazer Digby in the line up and is clearly not happy with matters. It is rumoured Hartlepool Town have already lodged a bid in the region of 40k for the former Aston Villa youth goalkeeper. In other news, Dean Bennett is now fit and raring to go having recovered from his injury - although it looks as though he will face competition for his place with the emergence of players like Heath and Rombo..,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 15th August

[ Division 3 Match 8

Boston United v Kidderminster Harriers

For this match against mid table side Boston, Sam Shilton had been recalled to the side to play on the left wing in place of Mickey - who had been demoted to the reserves for a while to gain a few more match practices and was subsequently watching from the stands for this match with his trusty steed Dave for a companion. Owen had also dropped Rombo, who was a bit tired, with Heath coming into the bench and Dean Bennett taking back his spot on the right flank. Craig Hinton who had played every minute so far, could not be dropped given his importance to the side despite feeling less than fresh.

The match however started very poorly as the side on form conceded within two minutes as the defence allowed Stuart Douglas too much space and room in the area to score and Boston were well on top. Indeed Boston looked like the side with three wins on the trot as they kept battering the Kidderminster defence through out the half, with Digby doing what he could to keep the visitors in the match. Sean Flynn was having a poor game in the centre, whilst Dean Bennett was hardly proving why his age should count in his favour for the right wing. At the back too- Hinton was showing the weakness' of needing a rest - being slow to the ball at times.

Flynn was removed at half time for Sean Parrish as Kidderminster had only registered the one long range shot from Bo Henriksen at this point. Nevertheless at 1-0 down you are never out of it, and Mickey, munching on a snickers kept faith that his side would fight their way back into the match in the second half. Within minutes Mark Blake had chipped over their back line for Henriksen - but the striker could only fire at the feet of their goalkeeper. The next attack saw a cross headed by Lee Ayres hit the crossbar, and rebound out into play again. Sadly it proved be merely a brief flurry.

With the players suffering some stiffness from either recent injuries or having played every minute, Boston were deciding the tempo and a second goal on 64 minutes won them the match. David Town scored it, and Boston had their points. It was made worse when 5 minutes before time Stuart Douglas notched a second having easily beaten Craig Hinton to a loose ball and a 3-0 scoreline for once probably did reflect the game. Owen and Mickey were both highly frustrated with the result - but all the same, it was such a poor performance it had to be a blip - the slightly illogical logic used to explain the result.

Boston 3 Douglas 2, 84, Town 64 Kidderminster 0

Kidderminster: 4-4-2: Digby , Hinton, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Bennett (72Heath), Flynn (Parrish 45), Shilton; Henriksen (Lewis 72) Howard.

News Round Up

After the loss to Boston, Owen realised he needed to bring in some more players if he could afford to, as the injuries had already taken their toll so far. Craig Hinton needed back up and a few speculative loan bids were fired off for right backs known to be available. After two failed attempts to bring in Aston Villa's Leon Hylton, and Ranger's Maurice Ross - he finally struck lucky two days later with Nottingham Forest's John Thompson . The utility player was looking for first team action and he was skilful. He had the versatility to add cover to the rest of the squad and he arrived on a one month's loan with a possible view to extending it should it prove successful. Funds were raised on the Monday 17th when the sale of Stuart Brock to Hartlepool was officially confirmed. He moved for 40,000 pounds and would free up a little space in the wage department for another newcomer should one become available.

Owen meanwhile had to fend off an angry Sean Flynn. The midfielder had been awarded an official warning for his efforts or lack thereof against Boston. He did not have fitness as a valid excuse like one or two and it had been the midfield area that Boston had bossed so effectively that had led to the loss, but Sean felt a little victimised over the decision. Bo was whinging half the time about not moving to a bigger club as Owen looked to curb any potential disaffection. The ideal would be to sell Bo and bring in another striker - but the risk of not finding a suitable replacement was too great at the current time.

Positive news was there again though as Drewe Broughton Ian Foster and Lee Yates, all returned from training during the week, in time for the next league match at home to Lincoln - the chance to rectify the errors of the Boston match. For Mickey once more training had passed reasonably well - though he was working with some of the oyunger members of the squad - a far cry from that move to Sunderland he was thinking about the other day.

Saturday 22nd September

Division 3 Match 9

Kidderminster Harriers v Lincoln

The quest to right the Boston wrongs began reasonably well as Kidderminster came out the brighter side in this clash of the play off hopefuls. Rombo was returned to the right wing again, with his efforts thus far clearly impressing Owen in training, whilst Mickey was left enviously watching from the sidelines. What Mickey didn't know however was that was more than just footballing reasons for his exclusion this afternoon. That very morning Owen and received an interesting fax. Drewe Broughton's return from injury saw him take just his second start of the season, whilst Lee Yates also returned to the centre of midfield. There was no room for Ian Foster however. John Thompson on loan from Forest made his first start as Hinton was rested, whilst Ian Joy made a return to the left back slot after Stamps was left out.

The much changed side then started in fresher spirits having not been involved in the midweek League Cup second round action - whereas their opponents had - and on 22 minutes the home crowd, with Mickey present as per usual were celebrating an opening goal from Rombo - and what a special goal it was. Hamilton, Camm and then Sedgemore were all left trailing in his wake as the winger darted on a mazy run towards goal letting fly at an angle, and finding the roof of the opposing corner. A fine strike which helped lift the hosts.

It did also revive Lincoln too and reminded them they had to play hard to earn their results as they fought back in their own way, forcing a save from Digby and testing out Thompson for the first time at right back - with Thompson passing with ease. Indeed the vitality within the two full backs seemed to have invigorated the rest of the side - with Yates enjoying a fine game alongside the experienced Blake - as Owen grew ever convinced they had the right partnerswhip going in the centre. However after Stephen Garfoot fired wide on 38 minutes, the hosts didn't heed the warning too well, allowing Ben Sedgemore to exact some revenge for Rombo's work, by curling a shot in from 20 yards on the move to seemingly restore parity by the break.

Thankfully though Kidderminster, amidst some highly vociferous chants from the crowd and directions by Owen made the perfect reaction to the goal by striking back almost instantly. With the ball loose in midfield, Rombo tucked it out left to Ian Joy down the left wing. The full back crossed deep - but found Drewe Broughton with perfection to restore the lead. Drewe's tally for the season now 2 out of 2. Mickey then swiftly left for refreshments, whilst Owen warned his team not to fall asleep again in the second half.

Unsurprisingly Lincoln came out fired up in the second half but Kidderminster matched them and were able to limit Lincoln to long range efforts. Just shy of the hour mark Owen brought on Nick Heath and Matt Lewis for Rombo and Broughton respectively - and the two leaving the pitch earned a massive hand from the crowd for their efforts - even though Mickey was now switching his attention to fighting for the left wing spot if Rombo was going to keep playing like this. Their fresh impetus certainly helped and when Lewis came on a few minutes later for Bo Henriksen, the hosts were keeping the ball well. With quarter of an hour to play the rewards duly followed as a match killing goal finally arrived - this time a first goal for Matt Lewis strike. Mark Blake was the creator, running and chipping from midfield, Lewis finished well. 3 more points kept everyone happy again.

Kidderminster 3 Rombo 22, Broughton 43, Lewis 76 Lincoln 1 Sedgemore 41

4-4-2: Digby , Thompson, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Rombo, Yates, Parrish; Henriksen (65 Howard) Broughton (72 Lewis).

Kidderminster Shuttle

24. 09. 01

E. Barnacle

Harrier Round Up

Over the weekend, there were voices emanating from Aggborough about the possible sale of young Mickey Swarfiga to overseas clubs. Speculation has been light but fairly constant now, but having scouted him for a few weeks it is predicted a bid will be, or perhaps has already been, placed for the youngster. The midfielder was not involved in Saturday's excellent 3-1 triumph over Lincoln - the match report can be found on page 43, but it was thought that was purely a decision based on the other players performance. However with Utrecht and Kilmarnock currently possessing the most advanced interest at present, Owen Newitt will face a tough decision as to whether to sell the as yet really unproven midget Mickey, also known as Nick Nack.

In other news... John Thompson the on loan full back has been called into the Ireland U21 squad to face Greece in a little under two weeks time...,,,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chairman's Office, Aggborough

Present are Donald Smith, Chairman, and Owen Newitt, Manager

" Ok then Owen where do you want to go from here?"

"Well I think we're on course for a good season Don, but as always the side will need strengthening. I like Steve Howard and John Thompson but whether we can make those deals permanent..."

"We can't at the moment Owen. Finances are tight. We've sold Brock which helps and as I understand we are looking to find a club for Andy Ducros is that right?"

"Yes. I had a word with him the other day - he understands the situation. He's not getting football here and he's not in my plans."

"Well that might rise a little more cash... but what sort of players are we talking here?"

"Well Don - We need another right back permanently. I would love to sign John - or at least get his loan deal covered until the summer. He is very talented. I know we aren't paying his wages at the moment but if it would sweeten bargaining at the other ednd there's one. Then we are going to need a second goalkeeper. Frazer is 34, whilst I have serious reservations over Danby. He's young and I'll encourage him all the same but that's a potential weak spot. Up front we are doing ok - but we may need another striker. Bo's attitude is letting us down at the moment."

"Well we could sell him for a decent fee, I am sure..."

"I'd rather be certain of my replacement for him first though. In midfield we have young talent doing well, but some off performers so far. Blake is experienced and holding the fort well, but Sean Flynn and to a lesser extent Parrish aren't performing as expected. They will do for now, but we have little in reserve."

"What about Mickey? Did you get the fax?"

"I did Don, and I don't know. He's a good player with potential - but I know that's a big move for him. Both of them would be?"

"Both Owen?"

"Yeah, there was the offer from Utrecht and one from Kilmarnock too - they're offering 100k straight up."

"Ok, so it's your call. If you want serious strengthening to your squad - you'll have to sell either Bo or Mickey, I'm afraid."

"Right, well I'll get the scouts looking for forwards, and will think about moving Bo on, but negotiate the fees for Mickey. Utrecht are offering 200k, and 10% sell on fee. I want 275k and a 25% sell on from both clubs. At least if we get that, we've got some extra financial security should he prove to live up to his potential."

"Are you sure Owen? We can keep him and just sell Bo now. There' s no pressure to sell and he could become a more saleable asset down the line..."

"I think so Don. Anyway - if they meet our valuation it's a fair offer I think."

"Rihgt you are Owen - are you going to tell Mickey about the bids or not?"

"Only if they accept our valuation. I'll keep him quiet until then. I might let Jack Warner though he's sort of a part time agent of Mickey's."

"Ok, you do that, and I'll get on the line to Holland and Scotland. Good luck with the team Owen."

Daily Telegraph

Transfer Clippings

... and it seems Mickey Swarfiga the short 3 foot midget who hit headlines when he signed for Kidderminster Harriers of Division 3 back in August could already be on the move. After only 3 appearances in the red and white, he has attracted attention from a number of clubs. Kilmarnock it seems have been priced out of the deal, but Utrecht of the Dutch League have matched boss Owen Newitt's valuation of around 275k with clauses inserted to benefit Kidderminster should Mickey progress as his potential does.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kidderminster Training Ground

Owen Newitt, Mickey Swarfiga, Jack Warner present

" Listen, Jack, Mickey. We've had a bid come in for you son.It's a good one, I wanted to give you the choice."

"Who's made the bid Owen?" Jack asked carefully.

" Utrecht FC. We had one from Kilmarnock too, but they refused to meet our valuation of the - Mickey here. We had a price in mind and it was met. We'd like you to stay Mickey - but I understand your desires."

"Why though gaffer? I haven't played that much so far - what have they seen in me boss?"

"Oh come on now Mickey. You're the one with the determination - you went to Jack, he helped you and now you're here. Don't be modest. You've got talent - and you have an advantage no one else will - that's surprise and your height. Believe me - the mental strength is a big part of how well you do. The skill is clear - it just needs a few nice touches when you've had the opportunity and a scout will be able to work out what potential's there. You're only 17 and got time on your side. That's why."

"He's right Mickey. When you first came to me about wanting to make it - mental aptitude was what I rated as an essential to any success. Now here's your chance. Now think about it."

"Eh? Utrecht are in the top flight of Dutch league are they not? It sounds like a fantastic opportunity Jack! Negative again I see."

"No, just remember - think about the football you'll get. Here you're more likely to be involved more often initially. Over there you may have to bid your time alot longer - maybe a couple of years..."

"Well if that's what it takes... ok Owen? I'm sorry. You've been a great boss here so far and I was enjoying it immensely but this to me is just an offer I can't refuse. Maybe I can be loaned back if they see me as a future prospect?"

"Well Mickey - we can have a look at that option but it may be unlikely. It'll be up to them. If that's your decision then I wish you the best of luck."

"I think it is Owen. I want to move to Holland."

"Ok. Good luck then kiddo - and thanks Jack."

"No problem. You'll give us the number of the Utrecht people to sort out terms?"

"Oh of course. Just go over and see Donald now - he's in his office he'll give you what you need."

"Thanks!" Mickey and Jack began walking over to the office now, whilst Owen looked on somewhat reluctantly. It would be a loss, but only a potential one. The money would help strengthen the squad for the immediate future - and Mickey got his big move. Plus there was still that 25% sell on fee right?

Saturday 29th September

English Third Division Match 10 [/b]

Bury v Kidderminster Harriers

For Mickey, sitting in the stands for this match he knew it was a goodbye to the brief affair of his that he had enjoyed for Kidderminster and he for one felt extremely grateful to Owen for handing him his big break - therefore leaving Mickey feeling a little guilty at jumping at the first opportunity. However Utrecht would surely be a big move for the youngster? The argument he'd play more first team football staying cut little ice with him. The jump in the facilities at the Dutch club would be a vast improvement, and would easily offset having to wait longer. The attraction of moving overseas appealed to - it seemed so exotic to be able to tell your friends ' hey I'm moving to Holland next week - going to play for Utrecht you know?'. In the same league as sides such as Ajax and PSV with rich histories of success on the continent, he was sure he had made the right choice.

Right know though he was sat watching an unchanged side look to record another win to push themselves further up the table. Bury were a side sitting in twentieth, but Mickey and Owen were only too well aware that unless Kidderminster worked hard they would be made to pay - and in the opening encounters it seemed complacency was commonplace throughout the visitors as Bury took full command of the pitch. The hosts dictated play keeping the defence very busy as Digby had barely a moment spare, whilst Blake and Yates were getting run over in midfield. Rombo wasn't shining, whilst the front men kept coming back into midfield to try and regain possession.

Andy Preece on his first start of the season following injury then played in Liam George on 21 minutes and the on form striker was never going to miss, as Bury deservedly took the lead. Though they lost Nicky Hill to injury a few minutes later Bury's rhythm was still not disturbed - which was the most disappointing aspect from Owen's view. Surviving at 1-0 down to half time would have been provided a welcome chance to get back into the match, but when George notched a second shortly before the end of the half it left Bury in a very commanding position.

Mickey decided for old time's sake he'd risk another Burger and fries, with extra cheese just to really upset his stomach, even if Dave was buying, whilst Owen ripped a new one out of most of the players in the dressing room. Few escaped with credit aside from the defence, as both Rombo and Drewe Broughton were subbed off, replaced by Nick Heath and Matt Lewis respectively. There was some pressure on those youngsters there, but after the first few minutes of the second half, it was clear the changes and right kick up the arse had got Kidderminster playing some better football.

With 52 minutes on the clock, young Nick Heath proved his worth with an explosive burst down the right wing with a low cross almost converted by Ian Foster. Instead Danny O'Leary pushed it round for a corner. Heath's corner though proved more successful as to the far post it went, met by the late run of central defender Adie Smith. The quick goal back renewed hop amongst the fans and Mickey. Bury, having started poorly were now clearly edgy and nervous as Kidderminster lifted their game. The excellent Lee Ayres had a header clawed away with Mark Blake's follow up shot only momentarily wide of the post.

Mark Lewis though suffered a terrible injury with a quarter hour to go, which forced Owen into playing Danny Williams in a makeshift strikers role, whilst blasting the fourth official for the ref's failure to punish the opposing player for the foul. Short term indications were that Lewis would be out until the end of the year if that at best. However, the anger was quashed suddenly when Kidderminster surged through once more and found an equaliser you would never have expected at half time. A Lee Ayres header was pushed away for a corner, and then the fantastic Heath whipped in another fine ball and Ian Foster made no mistake this time around. 2-2 was probably a fair reflection on the game as a whole though, even if the final stages did see both sides attack and defend in equal measure - though with no further luck. For Mickey it had been an exciting final game to watch, but now his thoughts were on that plane at 7.30. He was off, with his dad to settle into what promised to be an exciting era in his career.

Bury 2 George 21, 44 Kidderminster 2 Smith 50, Foster 76

4-4-2: Digby , Thompson, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Rombo (Heath 46), Yates, Parrish; Foster, Broughton (46 Lewis inj (Williams 74).

Right, I'm off on holiday for two weeks so here's the final lot for the meantime...

Kidderminster Shuttle

F. Barnacle

Unlucky Lewis Gets 3 Months

Young Harrier striker Matt Lewis will face 3 months on the sidelines after being the victim of a poor challenge by Bury midfielder Chris Billy. It will come as a blow to manager Owen Newitt who is looking to strengthen the striking department, with Bo Henriksen still apparently eager for a move away, and Steve Howard's loan spell ending last week. Of course their is the money from the sale of memorable midget Mickey Swarfiga who has joined Utrecht, but finding the right talent at the price is currently proving tricky for Owen who recently had a sizeable bid for Peterborough striker Neale Fenn turned down...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utrecht Training Ground, Holland

Mickey came off to the side and sat down on the bench - it had been another bloody hard session out there today. Not that he was complaining of course, the talent on display far outranked that which he had observed at Kidderminster, but it was certainly keeping him active. On the Tuesday 2nd October he'd even made his first appearance for their reserve side. An assist for Yugoslav striker Igor Gluscevic had boosted his confidence and erased a few doubts about settling in. Of course he barely knew more than about 5 words of Dutch so far, all relating to greetings and departures but, for the time being he was thankful he was able to rely on the grasp of English so well held by most of his fellow team mates.

He knew he wouldn't be in the first team at the moment, but his first discussions with director of football Han Berger and manager Foeke Booy had gone well enough to keep him satisfied. His father who had taken time off work to accompany him had also been impressed. He would be returning in about ten days or so as the yong Mickey settled into his small yet comfortably furnished apartment.

He had watched Utrecht's match with Roda and been impressed. They had lost 2-1 admittedly and were currently 15th in the Premier Division but the quality all the same had caught his eye, and the idea he could be a part of that at some point sent shivers down his spine. Of course he had asked about a loan move - out of the question for now until the coaches had assessed his progress but that didn't bother him. He saw it more as a sign he was needed here sooner rather than later and right now, he was about to be called back for a 5 a side match with a few of the first teamers too. This new life wasn't too bad - and once more he was surprised by the slight lack of reaction to his presence.

Kidderminster Evening News

A. Constable

Ins and Outs At Aggborough

Owen Newitt has ended a busy week in the transfer market by re-signing Steve Howard on a permanent deal this time from Luton. The deal was only around 70k, with payments spread until the end of the season, barely denting the current kitty for boss Newitt. Today also saw out of favour forward Andy Ducros leave the club with Lincoln City signing the 24 year old for 30k. It was believed a deal with Hartlepool had been reached, but the northern club pulled the plug when Newitt asked for Adam Boyd as part of an exchange deal.

Having failed in several loan bids at various Premiership and Scottish clubs, Owen was understandably pleased to bring in another man: " I've wanted to bring in two players in this department so I am pleased we've brought Steve back into the fold. He did well in his loan spell and he clearly won't have problems fitting into the club, which is an extra advantage. With Bo's situation still up in the air, I will though be looking to add another striker to the club. Bo has made it clear he want's to leave so reluctantly he has now been placed on the transfer list. We only need players committed to this club if we are to move forward...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Owen Newitt

6th October, v Shrewsbury @ Aggborough

For Owen, the hunt for a further striker had occupied his thoughts for some time now and though the acquisition of Steve was welcome he was still looking for more talent. The need for a goal scoring player on a regular occurence was made painfully apparent in this defeat to Shrewsbury. John Thompson missed the match on Under 21 duty for Ireland as Craig returned, along with Nick Heath and Sam Shilton to the starting line up.

In pure possession and chances created Kidderminster came out well, almost on top but there was no end product. Nick Heath was the most persistent player and it was his desperate perseverance that gave hope of a breakthrough as he fired in some very decent shots on target, but none seriously troubled Lee Kendall in goal. When both Ian Foster and Mark Blake missing glaring chances after half an hour there was a deepening sense that Kidderminster would pay for that, and Ian Stevens duly obliged to put the Shrews ahead not long before half time.

In the second half, the front pair of Broughton and Foster continued to make little impact on the visitors defence as even the fans seemed to sense this was a complete off day for the team, with a few leaving ridiculously early. Despite the defence doing their job and the full backs at least trying to make enterprising runs, Owen knew it just wasn't happening for him today. Karl Murray's goal on 75 minutes confirmed the inevitable and it was a poor day all round at Aggborough.

Kidderminster 0 Shrewsbury 2 Stevens 39, Murray 75

4-4-2: Digby , Hinton, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake, Heath, Yates, Shilton (59Parrish); Foster, Broughton

The defeat drew a great deal of criticism in the press for the lack of spark within the side and though Owen refuted it, putting it down to simply an off day against a geed up Shrewsbury Town - few people bought the excuse, and he returned to the striker market. Scouts John Wharton and Peter Dennis had returned from their trip to Scotland as requested, to check out St. Johnstone forward Paddy Connolly with a favourable review of the out of favour 31 year old, and after brief consultation with chairman Donald Smith made a bid. Elsewhere there were more loan hopeful bids, but only one coming to fruition as Steve Kabba of Crystal Palace arrived on a month's loan. The forward was fairly young but seemed talented.

Within a day and negotiations with St. Johnstone seemed to go fairly straightforward. Kidderminster had offered 110k, paid over a period of 6 months, before a demand for 120k was put forward. With the Chairman's blessing a bid of 180k was made - this time over 12 months, and with the Scottish First Division side agreeing to the terms, negotiations with the players' agent could begin. It would not be a deal done in time for the weekend trip to Wrexham, although he was around for the teams training practice on the Friday and whose contribution was to win the little penalty shoot out, and score an own goal in the 5 a sides at the end of play.

October 13th, Wrexham v Kidderminster Harriers @ The Racecourse

Facing a potentially testing trip to Wales for the next encounter, recent acquisition Steve Kabba made his debut in the starting line up, whilst Dean Bennett came in to replace the tired Nick Heath on the bench. Nick was dropped altogether in order to give him some proper rest. In the centre, replacing Lee Yates who had picked up a groin strain in training - sidelining him for two weeks would be John Thompson as Owen made a bold choice in testing his versatility in the middle of the park. Craig maintained his right back slot.

The match itself began at a helter skelter pace as Hector Sam and Paul Edwards carved out early openings in the Harriers defence within minutes, as sloppy play had Owen with his head in his hands already. They didn't break through which was a piece of fortune - and on nine minutes as Kidderminster began to stem the Wrexham tide, Dean Bennett moved a ball inside to Blake in midfield, and the experienced one lobbed over a player to John Thompson in the centre of the park, just out of the centre circle. In turn he moved it back down the right wing as a perfectly weighted ball fell into the run of Dean, and the midfielders low cross was met sharply by Sam Shilton at the near post who converted splendidly to hand the visitors the lead.

Owen was delighted with the goal, and for a couple of minutes after his team began to play their best football again, with sweeping passes and controlled play delighting the travelling hordes. Of course though their hosts were a very robust outfit themselves, and though in mid table at the present time they were still very strong in defence and fought back aggressively. After Steve Howard had headed another fine Bennett cross over the bar, Wrexham hit back immediately afterwards. Welsh striker Lee Jones was allowed time and space to run down the left side as Craig Hinton was caught napping, and a cross over saw Hector Sam plunder another goal for his side. It was a rare error for Craig but sadly a costly one, as scores were now back level.

Wrexham then returned to their fiery presence as Frazer Digby every penny of his wage that afternoon. Lee Jones hit the bar as he and Paul Edwards began to threaten to run the show in the latter stages, punctuated only by a good run from Dean Bennett was a top former for Kidderminster at that time. John Thompson was making little impression in the centre and only picked up a yellow card for a rash challenge on Edwards. However as it seemed as though 1-1 would be a handy half time scoreline, Owen scored a lucky break. In the 35th minute another deep ball from Bennett into the area found Mark Blake's head. His header was intercepted by Wrxham skipper Darren Ferguson's hand and it was a penalty though no card for Darren surprisingly. Steve Howard converted and suddenly the game had changed again.

At half time Owen withdrew Thommo who had been poor, bringing on Danny Williams in his place, and the youngster proved his worth in the centre with a very solid performance after that. Kidderminster began in the ascendancy in the second half full of confidence, and Steve Howard had further chances to extend the lead, one close range shot blocked, the other just wide as a vital third goal sought. Having not played that well overall being in the lead was a bonus for Owen but he knew Wrexham were a dangerous outfit, and further changes with a half hour to go helped freshen up and protect the slender advantage. Sean Parrish for Blake and Bo Henriksen for an ineffective Steve Kabba kept the tempo at a pace they were comfortable with and the hosts were forced to alter their tactics in a search for an equaliser. In the final five minutes there was a huge scare as central defender Brian Carey was left unmarked for a Lee Jones cross, but he couldn't find the net, pushing the ball inches past the left upright, and after that securing the points proved comfortable enough.

Wrexham 1 Sam 17 Kidderminster 2 Shilton 9, Howard pen 35

4-4-2: Digby , Hinton, Stamps , Ayres, Smith ; Blake (58Parrish) , Bennett, Thompson (46 Williams,) Shilton Kabba (Henriksen 58), Howard

The match itself had been a huge relief for Owen. A win under tricky circumstances had prevented the Shrews loss from making any real mental impact on the players, as it proved the perfect tonic, even if the play hadn't been completely controlled through out. The win kept the side in the play off places, a fine start and though expectations were that a top half finish would suffice, everyone fans included hoped for better.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

English Third Division - Sunday 14th October 2001

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2001/2 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Rochdale 12 5 0 1 11 4 2 4 0 15 11 25

2nd Hull 12 5 0 1 14 6 3 0 3 9 7 24

3rd Southend 12 4 1 1 11 5 3 1 2 9 8 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th Boston Utd 12 3 3 0 10 4 3 1 2 8 4 22

5th Oxford 12 4 1 1 13 7 2 2 2 7 7 21

6th Kidderminster 12 3 1 2 9 8 3 1 2 9 9 20

7th York 12 4 1 1 11 7 2 1 3 9 14 20

8th Bristol Rovers 12 3 3 0 11 6 1 3 2 5 6 18

9th Leyton Orient 12 3 1 2 13 8 2 1 3 9 10 17

10th Exeter 12 3 1 2 13 9 2 1 3 9 11 17

11th Cambridge Utd 12 3 0 3 14 13 2 2 2 9 9 17

12th Darlington 12 2 1 3 8 10 2 4 0 10 8 17

13th Rushden 12 2 1 3 12 9 3 0 3 10 10 16

14th Lincoln 12 4 1 1 12 7 1 0 5 9 15 16

15th Carlisle 12 1 4 1 8 9 2 2 2 8 8 15

16th Torquay 12 2 2 2 10 12 2 1 3 6 12 15

17th Macclesfield 12 3 1 2 10 7 1 1 4 4 8 14

18th Wrexham 12 2 1 3 10 9 2 1 3 10 13 14

19th Shrewsbury 12 2 1 3 7 11 2 1 3 7 8 14

20th Bournemouth 12 3 1 2 10 8 1 1 4 9 18 14

21st Hartlepool 12 0 3 3 4 7 2 2 2 6 5 11

22nd Bury 12 1 1 4 8 15 1 3 2 8 11 10

23rd Swansea 12 1 1 4 6 13 2 0 4 11 15 10

24th Scunthorpe 12 0 4 2 2 5 1 1 4 3 10 8

</pre>

The quest for more fire power was aided a day later though when on Sunday evening Paddy Connolly, the St. Johnstone forward, arrived in town with his agent to seal the deal that had been expected. He was only a short term signing, but one Owen hoped would really boost the side. If it went well in the early stages, he'd also be more inclined to lower the asking price on Bo, to get rid of the moody bugger sooner.

The following day the press conference was held, where Paddy was introduced to the fans, before he engaged in his first training session with the lads. He then was given the new routine welcome that had been initiated by a few jokers recently. When Steve Howard had arrived, he found a set of his clothes in the communal bath, and then found his training kit covered in itching powder. Paddy bore it with his typically morose Scottish outlook, before gaining revenge on the "wee bastards" by emptying all the lockers into the dustbins round the back.

Kidderminster Shuttle

G. Barnacle

Debut For Paddy, As Harriers Get Gainsborough

Manager Owen Newitt yesterday confirmed that new signing Paddy Connolly will start in tonight's midweek clash with Bournemouth at Aggborough, a match for which incidentally, tickets are still on sale. The 31 year old forward is expected to partner Steve Howard up front. The striker himself is looking forward to it:

" Of course, it will be great to get out there on the pitch and play some football again. I was waiting too long for a chance I thought I deserved in Scotland so I needed ot move. Thankfully Kidderminster came in for me and I'd like to think I will reward Owen's faith with goals this season which will help us sustain a play off push through until May. I've already met the lads and they seem a great bunch, so tonight will be good fun I hope."

Meanwhile Bo Henriksen is still on the list, awaiting suitors to bid for his talents. Having secured his two frontmen Owen is thought to be happy to lower the asking price to encourage swift bids for the Danish striker. The draw for the FA Cup first round was made today and Kidderminster were fortunate, as they have been drawn at home to non league side Gainsborough , a tie Owen is looking forward to.

" It's great news for us, it will hopefully mean I shall be able to rest one or two of the senior players whilst still be fairly confident of making progress. Of course the FA Cup is what it is and we won't be treating it too lightly. They shall be respected when we meet them."

The tie will take place on Saturday 17th November...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived