Advantages of not ticking counter attack and not ticking 'play offide'?

A bit of background, I play deep and narrow with a slow tempo. This is because I like playing with strong centre backs (at the moment it's wheater and hangeland, who have good mental stats which should help with their pace issues) who are good in the air and a good goalie to defend crosses well (boruc at the moment), with quick fullbacks to cut out through balls (allan hutton and lee wallace). The slow tempo means that when I commit men forward, the opposition don't have many forward to counter so the pace of my centre backs shouldn't be exposed, and to be fair I don't concede much from counter attacks.

However there are two problems.

I notice alot that players with decent composure (like 13, 14) sometimes just smack the ball upfield when they coud pass the ball to a team mate, and I'm thinking that they're trying to set a counter attack away (at the moment I have it ticked). I don't use a target man, so if I untick counter attacks do you reckon they'll keep the ball better?

secondly despite the measures I've taken I still concede alot of goals from through balls in behind my defence, especially from players running in between my centre backs and full backs. Should I untick 'play offside'?

And another thing, I'm sure that there's a massive problem with it comes to centre halves. They get turned way too easily (like spun around 180 degrees) and often they come way too tight to the opposition striker when they don't need too. anyone else noticed this?

thanks in advance!

Even with pace at the back i would never reccomend playing offside. Counter attack does have it's uses if you have a fast striker though i generally leave it unticked and i do seem to retain the ball quite well. Give it a try for a few games and see if results improve.

I find it leaves me prone to through balls to be honest, even with resonable pace at the back. I tend to play keep ball with a deeper defensive line which seems to suit me. 4 wins, 10 goals and 2 conceded in the league. Working so far this season :)

Too bad i just got thumped off of Sevilla 4-2 (forgot to take control game off and move it to standard!) I was 1-0 up as well. haha.

no I keep conceding from throughballs and it's really getting on my nerves now, unmarked players picking up pinpoint passes... I think this is gone beyond poor tactics to be honest.

I'll take you throug the goals I've conceded since those 4 clean sheets in a row...

Agbonlahor - centre half closes down a striker (that I've told him not to), leaves space behind him, striker plays in fellow striker running into the space, 1 on 1, goal

Agbonlahor - simple through ball to quick striker away from the goal (more towards the corner flag), he's behind the defence at an angle, goal.

Digard - 25 yards (only shot on target middlsebrough had all game too)

Sylvain Ebanks Blake - centre half tight to kevin doyle who turns him and slips in a perfect pass to ebanks blake behind my defence, boruc is hesitant and he scores

Sylvain Ebanks Blake - through ball down the middle of my defence, ebanks blake is behind them, boruc is hesitant and he sticks it in the net

Kightly - angled perfect through ball to kightly whos behind my defence, scores.

Walters (ipswich away in carling cup) - pass ball to walters who's unmarked in between the centre halves, shoots first time and scores.

Walters - jonathan stead turns the centre half, plays the perfect reverse pass to walters who blasts it into the back of the net.

theres a pattern developing here. I mean seriously... This isn't long balls over the top exposing my lack of pace. And remmeber, I defend DEEP and NARROW with a good back 5. what can I do?

maybe mentality between your cb-s and mc-s is way to hight so try to minimalise it...or closing down on your mc-s is to high and they are out of position to often so it leave space for attackers to go one on one with your centarbacks...

Archived