Workaround to get FMM to work with WWSM?

Bogdanel

I'm not sure what else there is to do. Does anyone know if FMM works with even the FM 08 download version? I remember hearing about a couple differences between the boxed and download versions. I ask because I have WWSM Boxed version so I'm wondering if we do get him a download version of the game if it would work for mine.

I might just buy an imported FM 08. Not sure what I would do with wwsm, maybe it would make a nice paper weight or book end.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's another question I have 'alluciano'. Whether the FMM that works for WWSM digital downloaded would work with boxed versions or if there are other differences....

Basically there is a few important questions we need someone to ANSWER. Once we know that, we can think of the next step and what it is we need to do...

I also sent Marc Duffy an e-mail and have heard no response as of yet.

I wonder if they know there is a problem with a digital download and are unwilling to say anything to us at this point???

Even letting us know that they have read this thread to this point would be appreciated.

Marc Duffy and the rest of the SI guys are probably busy with the next and most likely final patch, I believe.

But he has read this thread. Maybe not the recent replies but he has been here at least once because as you can see, there's a reply from him higher up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Total90:

I wonder if they know there is a problem with a digital download and are unwilling to say anything to us at this point???

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you mean by 'problem'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What you mean by 'problem'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant to say that perhaps the digital downloads are different than the boxed versions...meaning that Jpee might need a copy of both versions to create the editor.

Perhaps they know that the files are different enough, but don't want to say anything as to upset people. I don't know I'm just stirring the pot now. icon_wink.gif (i need that editor...lol)

I know it may sound a little silly when I say this, but instead of going through the trouble of getting FMM to work with WWSM, why not just spend the money on a copy of FM08? Go online and purchase a copy from a retailer that sells it. I remember reading a thread when FM08 was about to come out, people were discussing where to get FM08 and what retailer would ship to US and Canada.

The chances of FMM being compatible with WWSM are very slim and the reasons are obvious.

I'm in Canada and I'm playing FM08 simply because of 3rd party tools like FMM being compatible with it. I know I should be using WWSM because of my location, but quite frankly, I'm paying the money and I want my purchase to be compatible with tools like this.

Just a thought.

That sounds great 'meisce'. Thanks for the info. icon14.gif

I never used Genie Scout before but if it really does work on WWSM (did you test extensively to see if it gives game no problems like maybe a crash or something later on or ****ing up anything else?? ), then I will start using it. That's great news!

@total, I see what you meant now. Yes, my hope is also that if the games are different enough (I'm talking DD version of WWSM vs. Boxed ones), SI would tell us. If they are indeed different enough then... yes.. Jpee will most likely need both!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:

I know it may sound a little silly when I say this, but instead of going through the trouble of getting FMM to work with WWSM, why not just spend the money on a copy of FM08? Go online and purchase a copy from a retailer that sells it. I remember reading a thread when FM08 was about to come out, people were discussing where to get FM08 and what retailer would ship to US and Canada. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a couple reasons I've been trying to get FMM working for WWSM.

1) I've already bought WWSM and so have many others. So by even one of us buying yet another version of WWSM and getting it to Jpee, not only is our own problem solved (and we no longer need to buy FM) but we also help 1000 others in same situation.

So I figured, if I were to buy Jpee a WWSM version, it'd not only help me but many others rather than me just buying FM for myself.

Plus FM would cost more and also take a couple weeks to get here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:

The chances of FMM being compatible with WWSM are very slim and the reasons are obvious.

I'm in Canada and I'm playing FM08 simply because of 3rd party tools like FMM being compatible with it. I know I should be using WWSM because of my location, but quite frankly, I'm paying the money and I want my purchase to be compatible with tools like this.

Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you mean and support you on that mind-set. That's the same way I used to look at this which is why this is my first ever time with WWSM and in previous years, I used to import FM for these same reasons.

Unfortunately, this year, I fell into the trap and made a mistake of trying to help SI with their North-American market of WWSM and now am paying for it, after having heard things like all you need to do is change WWSM.exe to FM.exe for FMM to work with it... etc.

Needless to say, I will go back to importing FM for future versions again.

But since for this version, I already have WWSM, I thought I'd do what I've been trying to... rather than ordering FM to have it shipped.

I completely understand that you're not only trying to help yourself but others, and that's great. I just think it's sad that we, the ones living in North America, have to miss out on such things by purchasing a different copy that only North Americans can get, and thus miss out on 3rd party editing tools.

I was going to purchase WWSM a few versions ago, back in 06 I think, but decided not to because I wanted to avoid this exact problem.

Anyways, good luck with your mission. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">did you test extensively to see if it gives game no problems like maybe a crash or something later on or ****ing up anything else?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've run a large number of searches, successfully over a coupe of months of game time, with no adverse effects. Over this period I've frequently saved WWSM, quit, ran Genie, scouted, then restarted WWSM. Have had no problems so far.

I know Genie is based on a saved game/file rather than memory like FMM, but perhaps JPee/whoever could release a quick version of FMM with just the 'FM' changed to 'WWSM'?

Based on what I've seen this should work for the boxed versions of WWSM. If the author of the software were to implement this simple change, I and others would be willing to test if it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by meisce:

I know Genie is based on a saved game/file rather than memory like FMM, but perhaps JPee/whoever could release a quick version of FMM with just the 'FM' changed to 'WWSM'?

Based on what I've seen this should work for the boxed versions of WWSM. If the author of the software were to implement this simple change, I and others would be willing to test if it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure that wwsm uses different memory locations then fm, so Jpee needs a version so that he can find and change the differences in FMM or WWSMM(looks weird).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Total90:

Meisce what version of Genie Scout do you have? Where did you download it? And what version of WWSM 08 Patch do you have installed right now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'fm_genie_scout_2008_limited_beta_2', got it from a thread on this forum. I'm using the latest 8.0.1 patch, no pre-game editing, started a new game with it. Having the same annoying 'lots of shots, no goals' issues as everyone else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alluciano:

I'm pretty sure that wwsm uses different memory locations then fm, so Jpee needs a version so that he can find and change the differences in FMM or WWSMM(looks weird). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure that's the case, at least for the most part. This is my reasoning:

On the original release of WWSM08, you could rename your executable to 'fm.exe' and then successfully run FMM. This is what I gather from other posters, I never tried it. So, no ( for the most part ) differences in memory locations used.

On the new patch, this wasn't possible as the executable looked for the CD, and wouldn't work if it was renamed. Obviously just a simple thing added to prevent piracy, but this is what has stopped us from using FMM? Again, I didn't try it myself.

I can run Genie, so the saved file in WWSM is the same structure as FM. I'm also running XP. There is no reason for the loading structure of the game to change. It would only cause more work and testing for SI.

IF WWSM was using the same memory locations in the original release, I doubt SI have changed it for the patch.

Obviously the digital download differs, probably due to anti-piracy protection, which was introduced in the 8.0.1 patch for the boxed version ( and has now stopped our workaround for FMM ).

So, I guess I would just be interested in trying a version of FMM with the 'fm.exe' process name replaced with 'wwsm.exe'. Just to see if my postulating is correct. Can't hurt to try.

Obviously these are all just guesses based on what I've read of other people's experiences in getting FMM to work. All of my reasoning is based on the fact that posters claimed to FMM working with the first release of WWSM08.

Forgot, to add, would be hoping Jpee could try it ( obviously none of us have the source ). But a simple 'find and replace' of fm.exe with wwsm.exe, recompile and email is a few minutes work, and a little less daunting than asking him to code and test the entire thing again.

Does anyone know Jpee, that might be able to ask for his help with this?

Then again, there might be a major flaw in my thinking and it might not be worth trying, but I can't think of any.

Meisce,

Did you do anything to get Genie to work? I have the 8.01 patched version (boxed) of WWSM and it's not working. In fact, the Genie site actually says that the beta doesn't work with WWSM icon_frown.gif

How did you get it to work? I edited my file with the pregame editor. I wonder if that matters.

@meisce:

You say you've used Genie Scout to run some searches and a couple months of game-time and quit back n forth between that app and WWSM, etc.

That all sounds good. But did you try to do any actual 'editing'? Such as editing attributes or positions or anything else? Because that's what I would use Genie Scout for. Not to actually 'scout' or 'search' as would most others who utilize that program. I'd basically want to use it just as an editing tool for when I see something that's wrong like I did with FMM last year.

--------------------------------

As for the part where you said, you've gathered from other posts that the originaly WWSM08.exe could work with FMM as long as its named changed to FM.exe, are you sure?

I don't remember that nor had I tried it myself. I was under the impression that WWSM07 worked like that simply by changing file name... but I'm not sure we heard the same thing for WWSM08. If that is correct however, then it's sorta good news because it gives us more hope.. so I hope you're right and I'm wrong. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by meisce:

Forgot, to add, would be hoping Jpee could try it ( obviously none of us have the source ). But a simple 'find and replace' of fm.exe with wwsm.exe, recompile and email is a few minutes work, and a little less daunting than asking him to code and test the entire thing again.

Does anyone know Jpee, that might be able to ask for his help with this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you read the previous page buddy?

I've mentioned several times that I've been in touch (on and off) with Jpee over the past month or so. I think I also left his email in one of the posts on last page, in case anyone else wants to try to talk to him or give him any ideas, etc.

I've talked to him on MSN on a couple occasions and via email several times but we reached no conclusion since he said he needed WWSM to make his program compatible.... and we had no way of getting him that.... which is why I made those posts trying to see what ways there are for us to get Jpee a version...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PLF:

@meisce:

You say you've used Genie Scout to run some searches and a couple months of game-time and quit back n forth between that app and WWSM, etc.

That all sounds good. But did you try to do any actual 'editing'? Such as editing attributes or positions or anything else? Because that's what I would use Genie Scout for. Not to actually 'scout' or 'search' as would most others who utilize that program. I'd basically want to use it just as an editing tool for when I see something that's wrong like I did with FMM last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Genie doesn't have an editing function, and I haven't used the pregame editor. That's why we want to get FMM working, as you know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the part where you said, you've gathered from other posts that the originaly WWSM08.exe could work with FMM as long as its named changed to FM.exe, are you sure?

I don't remember that nor had I tried it myself. I was under the impression that WWSM07 worked like that simply by changing file name... but I'm not sure we heard the same thing for WWSM08. If that is correct however, then it's sorta good news because it gives us more hope.. so I hope you're right and I'm wrong. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure, but read it on at least two threads. Hoping I'm right too, but honestly don't know. Anyone here try it this year pre-patch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you read the previous page buddy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. But didn't want to ask anyone to do anything specifically. Not my place to dictate who does what. Don't know you, or Jpee...if you think this is worth trying, then figured you might ping him as you've been in touch?

As I said, I've just made ( semi-educated ) guesses - if anyone knows for sure that it won't work, then hopefully they'll post. Just trying to look for a little blue sky in all these clouds... icon_razz.gif

Long story short, I just hope one kind developer will be able to create the editors for WWSM (Boxed & Digital Downloaded version).

***Jpee with FMM.

Eugene for Genie Scout.

Any other developer.

Please don't forget WWSM 08 in your creations***

And to SI, please answer PLF's initial question regarding the digital download?

No, Genie doesn't have an editing function, and I haven't used the pregame editor. That's why we want to get FMM working, as you know.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh... damn!!! icon_redface.gif

I didn't know that. Then I guess... Genie is no use for me because I don't want to do any of that other stuff. Just wanted to use it to 'edit' certain things like I used to with FMM...

Oh well... Jpee and Amster might be able to help us but they need a version of the game to do so...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PLF:

I didn't know that. Then I guess... Genie is no use for me because I don't want to do any of that other stuff. Just wanted to use it to 'edit' certain things like I used to with FMM...

Oh well... Jpee and Amster might be able to help us but they need a version of the game to do so... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been working with Amster to get a WSM version. I have found the memory addresses for WSM patched digital download. I believe he is updating his app and will be working with me to test it. Unfortunatly I don't know when he will get a release out with changes..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timmcn:

I have been working with Amster to get a WSM version. I have found the memory addresses for WSM patched digital download. I believe he is updating his app and will be working with me to test it. Unfortunatly I don't know when he will get a release out with changes.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? This is the best news I've heard all day. Look forward to seeing the final product. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timmcn:

Oh well... Jpee and Amster might be able to help us but they need a version of the game to do so... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been working with Amster to get a WSM version. I have found the memory addresses for WSM patched digital download. I believe he is updating his app and will be working with me to test it. Unfortunatly I don't know when he will get a release out with changes.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is great news dude!!! icon14.gif

Thank you both (You and Amster) and keep us to update please. icon_cool.gif

Agreed I am also a loyal Football Manager fan, started playing CM 01/02 and have bought every copy every year. I too live in the states, and would have continued to buy a copy of FM08 like I do every year from overseas if any of the damn sites would have accepted my shipping address. SO I was overjoyed today to find I could download it.

I too like to use the editor, and I too am extremely disappointed that I cannot simply because of where I live. I would have expected far more for loyal customers who have contributed as much as they can over the years. I cannot say anything more other than I find this completely unacceptable.

Any new news? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not heard from Amster, although I hear he is having some sort of computer problems. If it looks like it won't get done I would probably create an editor just for WSM. That would be last resort though as I don't have a ton of time to do something like that.

Well timmcn, it would be appreciated. But no one is going to force anyone into taking time out of their lives for a video game editor.

PLF: I transferred my WWSM 08 onto a new computer and when I did that had to use my activation key that was sent via e-mail. Assuming that everyone was sent two activation keys, could you not send your spare key to Jpee for the download process?

Don't worry dude.

I know you have good intentions. icon_wink.gif

Plus, morally and ethically, there's nothing wrong with what we want done and after not having heard back from Marc Duffy for a few weeks, I'm now gonna try whatever works. Don't really care if it's technically illegal or whatever.... we paid for this and are unable to enjoy it the way we would have with FM just because we wanted to help SI.

Well timmcn, it would be appreciated. But no one is going to force anyone into taking time out of their lives for a video game editor.

PLF: I transferred my WWSM 08 onto a new computer and when I did that had to use my activation key that was sent via e-mail. Assuming that everyone was sent two activation keys, could you not send your spare key to Jpee for the download process? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you get a spare activation key or anyone else? Cuz I didn't. I got ONE.

Thanks for the info though. It can be helpful.

Actually. For a digital download, they send a confirmation e-mail to your account after your purchase the product.

If I am not mistaken, you are allowed to download via Boonty's digital download twice using that activation key.

My first download was the original time I purchased the game. That game went onto my laptop. I ended up purchasing a new laptop and had to re-install the game onto that laptop. So I downloaded the Digital Download again and then typed in the activation key from my e-mail. It installed the game no problems.

Therefore, I assume if someone else has a "spare" activation key that they have not used for WWSM 08, then they can send that to JPee and he can begin the download process.

No news about this or any other editor working for WWSM huh??

I was away for awhile but on first glance... it doesn't seem like it. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I have not heard from Amster in a long time, I have started the process looking into the posibility of a WSM only utility to view the hidden data. It would not be an editor or scout per say. I am also thinking about making it open source. I'll have more details in a couple weeks.

I don't want to step on Amsters feet so it will be WSM only.

Sounds good dude but I don't know about others but I personally need an 'editor'.

Not a scout, or just something to see attributes but something that allows me to 'fix' mistakes I see after having started a game. Since it's impossible for me to 100% fix everything before I start a new game or else I'll never be able to... and by time I'm done, FM 09 will be out.

So I hope whether it's Amster, Jpee or you or whoever else, someone can help us with a live or save-game editor which works for WWSM sooner or later. icon_smile.gif

Sounds good dude but I don't know about others but I personally need an 'editor'.

Not a scout, or just something to see attributes but something that allows me to 'fix' mistakes I see after having started a game. Since it's impossible for me to 100% fix everything before I start a new game or else I'll never be able to... and by time I'm done, FM 09 will be out.

So I hope whether it's Amster, Jpee or you or whoever else, someone can help us with a live or save-game editor which works for WWSM sooner or later. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have looked into it and I am going to create an editor. Should have a beta out in a couple weeks. I have a prototype pretty much complete.

That sounds great Tim. (I know this may not be your real name, I just like calling you that though icon_razz.gif )

I personally have been having 2nd thoughts about FM 08 not because the game is bad or anything but because I realize, It'll waste TOO much of my time if I get on it and that is time I could spend socially or to better my grades or better myself as a human being by experiencing new things, learning skills, etc.

So I don't know if I'll ever actually play FM 08 but anyway, this is certainly great news as 1000's around the globe will and your editor will make them extremely happy.

Therefore, keep up the great work buddy and thank you for the news! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hatngloves:

I have a activation ID for DD for the WSM2008 if you can send me jpee's address, I can forward the ID to him...use my email bdkurup@yahoo.com to send me his address or msn details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's Jpee's email dude.

jpee.cn@gmail.com

Just a thought though, maybe it'd be more useful in the hands of 'timmcn', since he's actually making it, so he can test out the stuff himself, etc.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hatngloves:

Its fine...it doesn't matter who I send it to.

I have sent the activation id to jpee, timmcn, send me you email address, I can send it to you too.Regards! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually have the DD and am creating the editor for it. Thanks though.

As for the editor, it's coming along fairly well. I'm not sure I'll have a release by this weekend or not but I'll try.

Archived