Opinions on Centre Back pairing set up, with regards to which foot they prefer

Just wanting peoples opinions on how they set up defensively?

Do you play a left and right footed centre back, and if so is it so that there stong foot is towards the midele (ie left in right, right in left)?

Does htis have any benefits over two right footed players?

Also what are poples opinions on the benfits of having a both footed CB?

Strong foot to the flank, for covering the channel and the fullback (you don't want them trying to turn onto their better foot before making a clearance, or to shank a clearance with their weak foot); use righty and lefty if available, but two righties isn't the end of the world (but will play a 'right' rather than a 'right only' on the left).

Thats interesting. Ive always thought that the strongest set up would be the stongest feet facing inwards.

I havent ever had a left footed Centre back to experiment with however until now, i will try your way and see how it fares

I've never thought of it the other way round :). Certainly Liverpool have always in my experience used strong foot towards the flank; e.g. Carragher to the right, Agger to the left; prior to that Hyypia would play to the left of Carragher, as his left foot was decent (Carragher doesn't have one at all). Going back as far as Alan Hansen (who was 'right' or 'either' in FM terms), I think we've always had them that way round. It's possible that Liverpool always preferred to have the 'ball playing' CB on the left for some reason and he generally happens to be either the left footed one, or the one with a half decent left foot at least.

Archived