Fullbacks/Wingbacks on defend duty...

This is more of a heads up than a heavily detailed theory thread. Since this version on FM came out I have tried to utilise heavily attacking FB/WB's to get forward, whip in some quality balls and generally look to create openings in the final third. This obviously made them slightly more vulnerable defensively but it was worth it for the additional attacking ability... or so I thought!

After reading one of the tactics created (may have been the Italian Defence?) I saw that the 'tactician' used a his fullbacks on defensive duty in order to keep a sturdy back 4. Fair enough I thought, thats pretty obvious, but I also assumed it would hamper the ability for his FB's to get forward and really make an impact on the game. This was my biggest mistake. While I had created a tight back 4 I had a big game coming up where all I had to do was protect a lead in a Europa League game. Normally I wouldnt go more defensive but I had a lot of knackered and injured players so I thought I might be able to control the game a bit better and most importantly of all not let their wingers have too much freedom.

What I found surprised me. The fullbacks still got forward, and they put in crosses from adavanced positions (mainly 18 yard box area - although occasionally the by-line), they seemed to have much more space and were always available for a pass (which isnt always the case on more attacking duties), they gave my forwards more space to roam (which again gave me more space infield) and more fundamentally they were defensively solid.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that while a 'defend' duty could be seen as being negative or boring it actually works very well and surprisingly I have created more clear cut chances and openings than I was previously without changing anything else. At times I have carved open world class defences with ease and regularity which I wasnt before, by simply changing the duty of my fullbacks. Who would have thought!

Was this using the tactics creator? I wonder if the same would be true of the Wingback role? Have you tried it to see? as they have a more attacking role as standard compared to Fullbacks.

Yeh this is on the TC.

At the moment I have one on FB and the other on WB depending on who suits the role most. To be honest though I dont really notice too much difference. In fact the only difference is that the WB has crossing mixed as opposed to rare.

Archived