[FM10] Unemployed nobody to world class manager

Ok im starting a new career as unemployed with automatic reputation. My aim is to become a world class manager and have a storied career in British Football.

I am using 10.3 with no edits to the database.

Fave team Celtic

Leagues Playable - English Prem - Blue Square North/South

Scots Prem - Scot Div 3

Leagues loaded view only - Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Holland.

I will update fairly regularly - at very least once a week.

Fingers crossed and here goes.....

End of first season and the tables looked like this:

English Premier League Chelsea stroll it. Birmingham and Fulham are disappointing. McCleish got sacked.

Championship Sheff Wed provide a surprise. Newcastle stutter back to the Prem via the playoffs

League 1 no great shocks here

SPL Gutted at Rangers dominance. Suppose its realistic this season.

I still dont have a job and its the start of June 2010. Been declaring interest in plenty BSP, BSN and BSS teams but nothing has come to fruition.

Got offered the Stenhousemuir job (Scots Div 2) but turned it down. I want to start in England. Not ruling out a move to Scotland in the future but only for the right job.

Saying that, Dunfermline in SD1 have linked me to the post a couple of times and if it comes around first, i'd probably take it. Wont hold my breath though.

Im prepared to wait for a job. Hopefully one of the newly promoted teams in BSN or BSS will give me a shot.

Got to say im delighted with this.

Job offer

Needless to say, i accepted the challenge. Plenty of time to prepare for the season ahead. My assistant thinks the squad is good and so do i. I reckon it could be promotion for us in my first season, despite the fact they could only manage a disappointing 10th in 09/10.

Squad

Finances

I will concentrate on getting my team ready for the season ahead then probably update after each transfer window then at the end of the season unless something incredibly dramatic happens. Im up for this though and expect to be in it for the long haul.

I am eager to hear your advice. What areas of the team do you think need improved? Any telford fans out there?

Happy to hear criticism too. If anyone has any questions about the squad or anything at all to be honest, i am happy to post screenshots of anything you require. Hope you enjoy following my career.

SEPTEMBER 2010

Really interesting and enjoyable start to my Telford career. After a closer look at the squad i noticed two major problems.

1. The squad was top heavy in defence with little talent in midfield.

2. A lot of the more decent players were on wages of £350p/w and upwards which meant our wage budget was pushed to its limits.

I decided to have a bit of a clearout and let everyone go whose cantract was about to expire. This solved my wage budget issues as most of these guys were the big earners causing me problems. I looked to Scotland for talent and made some shrewd signings on free transfers. I also signed a Lithuanian under 21 international defender and a decent english winger.

Transfers (Noel Whelan was signed before i arrived, as was Hanson whose loan i terminated)

I had a really tough time in friendlies, most notably losing 8-1 to Wolves and 4-0 to Yeovil. This experience must have served me well to prepare for league games though. After 5 games we have won 3 drawn 1 and lost 1.

We are not yet the free flowing, free scoring attacking side i am hoping to build, but we are looking good so far.

League Table

Current Squad

I have high hopes for the coming months. the board expect a top half finish and the media predict 6th. Realistically im aiming for top five and a playoff spot. Some good teams in this league. Boston Utd are my favourites for the title.

Next update in January.

Hehe, it was more a flippant comment I made ;)

He scored a goal very similar to one that Bergkamp was famous for, but because he was Noel Whelan nobody cared.

I notice he's done bugger all for you though!

GL with the save, I'll be watching with interest.

December 2010

Just a mini update here. I'll post screenshots and stuff at the end of the season.

After a bright start at AFC Telford things have taken a bit of a downturn. My form has been up and down all season and im languishing in mid table. I have made a few more signings to try and turn things around, including a couple of loans.

The cups have been a disaster and i've been knocked out of both the FA cup and FA trophy by Tamworth and Hyde respectively.

Currently i sit in 10th, 8 points off the playoffs and 11 points clear of relegation. Still half the season to go though and im hopeful we can improve. I have been tinkering with different tactics and think i am starting to settle.

If i can take them on a bit of a winning streak then i will be back in contention.

My target is still the playoffs.

On a financial note, i have noticed that we have made a substantial profit this year. Already we are over £100,000 in the black, which is great if not a little surprising. I have been really careful with wages and stuff, but we seem to make a lot of money off of ticket sales. Is this the norm for BSN? A couple of years like this and we will be loaded.

Not got in as much game time as i would have hoped for, but this career is still going strong. Hopefully be done with my first full season by monday.

Just got thrashed 4-0 by Forest Green and cant buy a win at the minute. If i lose my next match at Corby im going to hand in my resignation.

My aim in this career is to build a reputation from unknown to world class. Im not too bothered about how long it takes me to do this, but i think ive lost the dressing room at Telford.

We'll see how it pans out.

Ok, got beat 2-1 by Corby and felt the need to resign and try elsewhere. Before i could offer my resignation though, this happened.

Job offer

They are currently bottom in the Blue Square Prem but only two points from safety. I am gonna give it a try until the end of the season. I may have failed with AFC Telford but perhaps my season isnt a complete washout just yet.

SEASON 2010/2011

After deciding to jump ship mid-season due to tough times at AFC Telford and Newport County knocking on my door, i really expected to save Newport from relegation and end the season on a high note. When i took over Newport, the league table said it all.

Bottom of the league and really struggling, when i took over i had to make wholesale changes. I decided to use my full wage budget building a large squad that i thought could stave off relegation. Our finances suffered as a result.

Transfers

Finances when i took over

Finances at end of season

It didnt work out in the end and we were relegated in 22nd place. We did manage to put up a fight going unbeaten for the whole of February and winning four games on the trot at one point, but on the last day of the season, a 1-0 defeat away at Histon saw us plunge back to the BSS.

League table

Just to really rub salt in the wound, AFC Telford really turned things around after i left, pushing up the table and reaching the playoffs in 4th place. They were unlucky to lose in the semi finals to Southport.

When i signed with Newport County, it was only a short term measure. My contract was up in June 2011. Despite distancing myself from both the Airdrie and Alloa jobs in Scotland, i decided to refuse Newports offer of a three year contract and see what else would come up. As i have stated before, i want to go from a nobody to the very top and while i am not having so much success so far, i just feel there will be another BSP team willing to give me a go.

So once again i find myself on the management scrapheap. I feel like the littlest hobo.

Well im at the end of the third season, still unemployed and nobody seems willing to give me a shot. This has been an unmitigated disaster of a career. I will now be playing Fast Food Drive Thru Manager 2010 from here on in as i suck pretty bad at FM10.

Or maybe i'll just try a different career.

Archived