[FM10] The blood that Corsicas through my veins...

Deisler26

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparta-Rotterdam-icon.png

Sparta Rotterdam Season Review 2023/24

Another good season where we took home the domestic treble!

We started the season as usual with the Dutch Super Cup against Ajax. A boring match was livened up in the 27th minute as Chris Yilmaz was injured for Sparta and barely a minute later, Ajax took the lead. We fought back and Fabio Gomes equalised on 73 mins. Extra-time beckoned and Lucien Van Wonderen added to my troubles with a second yellow on 97 mins, leaving us with 10 men for the rest of the game. However, we couldn't be separated and penalties were the order of the day. Alex Lundgren put our second penality wide, however Ajax then missed their third. It took till Ajax's 9th penalty before they missed and it was left to goalkeeper Alessandro Crescenzi to slam home the winning penalty.

Our Eredivisie campaign was nothing but a triumph and we made it through the whole season unbeaten, conceeding just 10 goals all season! The goals were conceded in a 5-2 win over Roda JC, a 3-1 win over Vitesse Arnhem, a 2-1 win over AZ Alkmaar, a 1-1 draw with FC Groningen, a 1-1 draw with Roda JC again, a 4-2 win over HFC Haarlem and finally a 2-2 draw with FC Groningen again.

On the way to the title, we hit FC Utrecht and de Graafschap for 7, Ajax for 6 and NEC Nijmegen plus ADO Den Haag for 5 on our way to scoring the highest amount of goals ever recorded in the Eredivisie and the biggest points tally. Mikko Kuusisto took the Eredivisie goalscoring title as well with 24 goals. We really seemed to be a cut above the league this year.

Final League Table

In the KNVB Dutch Cup, I was desperate to not repeat last year's failure in our first match and sent out the backup players for the match. A 3-0 win over VVV Venlo with Andrea Esposito (2) and Roberto Mendoza was our fate in the first match, the second match was up against Roda JC and a brace from Mikko Kuusisto was enough to see us through in a 2-0 win. FC Oss were our Fourth Round opponents and also our latest victims as goals from Roberto Mendoza, loanee Rui Machado and Alex Lundgren (2) in a 4-1 win. Quarter-Final time and FC Dordrecht were dispatched 3-1 with goals from Rúyman Luis, Mikko Kuusisto and Patrick Holscher doing the damage. Our Semi-Final against FC Groningen was an altogether more tense affair where an equaliser in the 88th minute from Mikko Kuusisto gave us a 1-1 draw and penalties after two early injuries to our team. Two misses in a row from us, coupled with some choking from Groningen meant that Kálmán Hudák hit the winning penalty to see us into the final.

The final day dawned bright and sunny and saw us up against AZ Alkamaar. The game itself was a walkover, with a hat-trick from Fabio Gomes and goals from Alex Lundgren and Mikko Kuusisto leading us to a 5-0 romp.

Full Cup Run

Europe was our next focus. Our European Champions Cup group consisted of AEK Athens, Sevilla and FC Bayern Munich. AEK were our first opponents and a 3-0 win away set us up nicely. The home leg was just as much of a walkover with a 3-1 win consigning AEK to the bottom of the group. However, that was as good as it got for us. We lost the other 4 matches. 2 0-1 defeats to Sevilla and 2 1-3 defeats to FC Bayern. This dropped us into the EURO Cup.

Our First Knockout Round match was against Olympique Lyonnais. An away 0-0 draw was followed by a 4-0 thumping at home. Goals from Alex Lundgren, Kálmán Hudák, Fabio Gomes and Mikko Kuusisto sent us through to face Tottenham. Our first leg was away at White Hart Lane and we took 3 away goals and a 3-2 win back to Holland, where we dispatched them 3-0 with goals from Roberto Mendoza, Rúyman Luis and Andrea Esposito, which put us through 6-2 on aggregate. Valencia were our Quarter-Final opponents and a 0-0 away draw was sadly combined with a 1-2 defeat at home which ended our European participation for another year.

Full ECC Run

Full EC Run

Transfers

Transfers In/Out

Signing for us this season were D/WBL Robert Piket from FC Groningen for £700k, AML Danny Christiansen on a free from FC Kobenhaven, MR Robert Smit for £1.5m from Ajax, DM/MC Mounir Renard for £3m from Nimes Olympique, DRC Tomi Makitalo for £230k from TPS and AM/FC Ibrahim Ozer for £1.5m from AZ. Coming in on loan were DC/DM/MC Sergey Istomin from Spartak Moscow and ST Roberto Mendoza from Genoa and coming in on free's were D/WBL Peter Thomson from AaB and GK Wessel Van Der Meulen.

Outgoing were ST Maurice Van Der Veen for £30k to AZ, DC Francesco Pari to SC Cambuur for £40k, DC Matteo Bordin to Triestina for £160k, DR Jim Van Der Kerkhof to VVV Venlo for £250k and ST Thomas Mehl for £325k to FSV Frankfurt.

Sparta-Rotterdam-icon.png

Sparta Rotterdam Season Review 2024/25

This season marked the turning point of my Sparta career. I veered between staying or leaving with my head held high. I was a club legend, the most successful manager in the club's history, we'd just moved into the 24,000 seater Sales Arena, named after myself and I was second in the all-time Dutch HoF. Did I have any more to prove? I decided that I did. The #1 spot on the HoF was well within reach and so was Ajax's record of 52 games unbeaten, so I decided to stay for one more season.

As ever, we started our season with the Dutch Super Cup against Ajax. A short corner in the 35th minute found Patrick Holscher and his deft touch took him away from the Ajax defender who took him down. Penalty! Mikko Kuusisto stepped up to take the penalty and lashed it high into the net. 1-0. The Ajax right midfielder took an early bath on 65 mins after earning his second yellow and from there, it was smooth sailing for our fourth consecutive Dutch Super Cup.

Our season started well, as per the last 3 seasons with a great unbeaten run. We conceded rather more than I hoped this season, especially against SC Cambuur. We were 3-0 down by half-time and struggling. But a mistake by their defence in the 73rd minute let in Mikko Kuusisto to reduce the deficit then, on 83 mins after Lundgren was tripped in the box, Mikko Kuusisto stepped up again and fired in his second. Finally, on 86 mins, Kristian Hakansson bulleted home a header from a corner to complete the comeback.

FC Zwolle were hit for 8 goals in October with both Mikko Kuusisto and Fabío Gomes hitting hat-tricks and young midfield dynamo Wouter Hooiveld getting a brace. We also spanked Feyenoord 4-1 with goals from Alexander Lundgren (2), Andrea Esposito and Lorenzo Leerdam. We also equalled Ajax's record of 52 games unbeaten. Our game to break the record was against....Ajax. And a 3-0 spanking later saw us take the record off them. However, I had lost interest after this, I just wanted the season to be over and to get the the top spot on the HoF. So I just holidayed through till the end of the season. We ended up losing the last two games of the season, ending our unbeaten streak at 67. However we retained the Eredivisie and I got this message...

HoF1.jpg

Which is all I needed to see. I then quit with my head held high.

Final League Table

Our KNVB Dutch Cup campaign kicked off against Zondag A side Hilversum. And a 4-0 win, courtesy of goals from Robert Smit, Danny Poell, Eliot Keutgen and a Hilversum OG, completed my all Dutch XI's first win in the cup. sc Heerenveen were our next oppenents and victims. 3-0 was the score, sealed by a brace from Lorenzo Leerdam. The Fourth Round saw us matched up against de Graafschap in a carbon copy of the last round as we beat them 3-0. I'd taken my sabbatical by the time of the Quarter Final against Ajax rolled up and we were out on penalties from a 2-2 draw.

Full Cup Run

Our European adventure started in the European Champions Cup. We were drawn in a group with CSKA Moscow, Italian heavyweights Genoa and Hoffenheim. Our matches against CSKA ended up 1-1 at home and a 1-0 win away. Our Hoffenheim matches ended up a 0-3 defeat and a 0-0 draw and the Genoa matches ended up a 0-0 draw and a 1-2 defeat. These results meant I'd finished third and were in the Euro Cup again. I was gardening by the time we came to play Rangers in the Euro Cup. A 1-0 home win was followed by a 0-3 away defeat and ended our European adventure.

Full ECC Run

Full EC Run

Transfers

Transfers In/Out

Incoming was DM/MC Pim De Zeeuw from AZ for £4m, AMLC Nicolas Mellado for £1.8m from Estudiantes (LP), AMC Thomas Sand from Rosenborg for £250k, DLC/WBL Hakan Ozdan for £1m from FC Oss, AMLC/FC Paolo Mazzei from AlbinoLeffe for £3.8m, DLC Jos Van Der Belt from FC Groningen for £1.7m and the big one, ST Lorenzo Leerdam for £10m from FC Utrecht. D/WB/DMRC Gijus Overtoom came in on loan from AC Milan too.

Outgoing were DRL Cristian Rubino to Duisberg for £300k, DM Mounir Renard to AZ for £2.5m, AML Danny Christiansen to £2.5m to Benfica, AMC Herman Hoogervorst for £2.5m to Siena and DC Davor Redzovic to Aue for £825k

I entered this season jobless although I had noticed that, on my departure, I was still on the club legends list. This very much surprised me as you usually become hated on your departure. I looked around and couldn't find anything worthy of my time. However, come October, one club stood out....

furth.jpg

SpVgg Greuther Furth Season Review 2025/26

I took over the reins of Furth when they were 15th in 2.Bundesliga and finished a difficult season in 11th. However I think that this was more due to the teams below me being inept. I tried bringing my Sparta 4-1-2-1-2 into Germany, but it seemed to play into the Germans' hands somewhat and I was forced to change to a wider diamond, due to lack of players for positions.

We didn't score a goal for our first three matches, losing 2-0 to Aue, 3-0 to Kiel and a 0-0 draw with Rostock. However we shattered that record, winning 5-2 at Paderborn. A 0-1 defeat to Koblenz and a 2-0 win over Freiburg ended 2025 and gave me sometime in the transfer window to tinker with the team. However, our first game of 2026 was an absolute disaster. We lost 0-5 to Bochum. A 1-0 win over Gladbach couldn't paper over the cracks and we then lost 0-1 in the 90th minute to Dusseldorf and 1-6 to Bielefield. We rebounded from this horror run in style with a 6-0 win over Mainz. The most I managed after that was a three game unbeaten run to end the season, beating Koblenz 3-1, Freiburg 1-0 and drawing with St Pauli 0-0.

Full League Table

Transfers

Transfers In/Out

A lot of incomings and outgoings marked my arrival at Furth. Signing on frees were AMRLC Gokhan Tore, AM/FC Dzenan Durak, AMC José Rodrigues, GK Enric Espejo and ST Alberto López from Sporting Gijon. Signing players from Sparta became a priority and DM/MC Giovanni Siebert came in from Sparta to the tune of £100k and ex-Sparta DRL Cristian Rubino came from Duisburg for £275k. Parent club Wolfsburg provided 3 players; DL Erich Keller for £250k, DC Nurjan Volkov on loan and AMC Julien Aboguaye, also on loan. Finally on loan, in came DC Anderson from FC Bayern

The biggest signings however, were 32 year-old ex-Atalanta striker ST Matías Izzo on a free from AC Milan and my personal talisman, AM/FC Mikko Kuusisto, for £250k from Sparta. Kuusisto was on the transfer list and I could not believe he was there, so I snapped him up. However, manipulating the transfer and wage budgets with enough skill to sign both left me with a massive wage budget deficit of -£18k as both Izzo and Kuusisto wanted big contracts to move.

Leaving the club were ST Thomas Kohler for £525k and AML Tim Schubert for £400k, both to Paderborn. MC Simon Stahl went to Ingolstadt for £525k and AM/FC Gerard Kind went to FC Oss for £140k. DC/DM/MC Ousamane Berthé went to Rosenborg for £100k and AM/FC Alfons Hammerl went to Obernauland for £100k. DC Erik Bluhm to Wehen for £120k, AMRL Sven Erb went to Palencia for £120k and the biggest departure was AML Jake Lewis for £1.2m to Getafe.

If anyone wants to know how their teams are getting on in 2026, just ask!

My former teams fortunes went like this in 2025/26

AC Ajaccio - Relegated in 19th from Ligue 1

Albacete Balompié - Finished 4th in Liga BBVA, qualified for the European Champions Cup

Rayo Vallecano - Relegated in 20th from Liga BBVA

Atalanta - Finished 12th in Serie A

Sparta Rotterdam - Won their fifth consecutive Eredivisie title.

Archived