Rigid vs Fluid

Any tactical experts in here have any thoughts.

I almost always used fluid because I assumed it would let to more goal scoring chances, but I hit a cold stretch and thought I'd give Rigid a try and my team started scoring goals again.

What's the theories on this option.

It totally depends on the calibre of players you have and what system you employ.

Think of "Very Fluid" as Arsenal and "Very Rigid" as Stoke City - if you suddenly try and get Stoke playing back to front 20-pass flowing attacking moves, you'll get nowhere.

I find that a Rigid philosophy is always the best bet when embedding a new formation as it gets your players knowing what roles they're supposed to play - meaning less individual errors or players finding themselves out of position. Therefore, the switch to Rigid making better results for you makes perfect sense if you were struggling.

Saying that, a switch to a Fluid system means your players will become more diverse in their attacking play and threaten teams from different angles.

It really does depend on the manager style and what phase your team development is in.

Any tactical experts in here have any thoughts.

I almost always used fluid because I assumed it would let to more goal scoring chances, but I hit a cold stretch and thought I'd give Rigid a try and my team started scoring goals again.

What's the theories on this option.

People assume that very fluid means playing football like Barcelona while rigid is playing Bolton-like football. This is not NECESSARILY true.

philosophy is how you play with out the ball or how you defend; a very fluid philosophy means that players who are assigned to attack will contribute to defending by closing down space or applying pressure on opposition defenders.

a rigid system means that players assigned to attack will stick to attacking only while players assigned to defense will stick to defending.

you should employ the philosophy based on the type of player roles you use, the understanding between the team players, and the mental/physical attributes that your players posses. Imo it will take at least two seasons to build a team capable of playing fluid football

so the reason why rigid system worked for you is may be because your formation cannot accommodate a fluid way of playing. or may be the players roles do not allow it; for example you use a poacher or a limited center back.

Archived