Where is it going wrong?

I'm managing to win games as Birmingham, but concede too many chances to the opposition, almost 6 CCC on average a game to my 2. Only got Joe Hart to thank.

My Birmingham team is as follows.

Play a basic 4-4-2 with 1 defensive midfielder and one box to box midfielder, 2 wide midfielders/wingers and a target man and poacher combination.

My line up is as below.

GK Hart

DR Naughton (Fullback, Auto)

DL Bale (Fullback, Auto)

DC Cahill (Central Defend, Defend)

DC Subotic (Limited Defend, Defend)

DM Cattermole/Muamba (Def Mid, Defend)

MC Busquets (Box to Box, Support)

MR Obertan/Kightly (Winger, Attack) (Hug Touchline)

ML Ederson (Wide Midfielder, Support) (Cut inside)

FC (tg) Jo/Mchedilidze (Target Man, Attack)

FC (po) Marilungo/Jerome (Poacher, Attack)

My team setup is like this, Rigid formation, counter attacking, more direct, default creative freedom, pressing more, default tackling, default marking, default crossing, default roaming.

I set my width, tempo, defensive line as per coaching instructions in pre match meetings and use the assistant suggested opposition instructions.

Last game, at home to Man Utd, while I accept who the opposition are, I won 3-2 but conceded 29 chances, 18 on target, 8 CCC and 8 long shots. Its not good enough for me. What should I do to tighten up and become more dangerous?

I think it's because you are playing a counter attacking style. Rather than taking the game to the oppasition, you are encouraging pressure on yourself and are sacrificing posession in order to use your pace and catch the other team out on the counter. With the other team having more posession, they are inevitably going to create more chances than you which is perhaps why you may have two CCC while the other team has 6.

To tighten up your defence, maybe you could try having the wingers on support and your full backs on defend duties, which would help negate any threat down your wings. Also perhaps giving your CM a Central Midfielder role could work to have an extra man in defence.

Width is also important in defending. A narrower width, in theory, makes it harder for the other team to make chances.

Just to say: if you're winning matches, then I don't think you'd need to change anything.

Archived