I hate the team talks in this game. It is incredibly difficult to keep players happy, they are such a bunch of whining poofs. I tell the team I am disappointed after failing to beat Wolves in 120 mins and needing a penalty win, and they get angry. I fine a player for being sent off 20 mins in to a big game and he claims I am victimising him. Its total and utter rubbish. I can't tell players they suck unless I get pumped 4-0, and even then I'm pretty sure they would complain.

What makes it worse is that you never see the opposite in effect. Whenever you tell a player he has played well or you are delighted with him, nothing ever happens. Every time you get a "doesnt seem to be listening". I am seriously contemplating going back to my old system of no team talks until full time unless I need to tell the players I am disappointed in them. At least I wouldnt get people moaning to the press whenever I say anything other than "awww well done, you twyed your bestest". I'm managing United, I reserve the right to complain when my team dont win and make it look easy against crappy teams.

As for the media interaction with players, its a total joke. You have to say the exact right thing or the player will go into a strop. I told my striker I was pleased with his form after a good run of games, but because I apparently didnt suck his balls hard enough, he is sulking about me not giving him enough credit. Just because I don't start shouting his praises from the mountain tops every time a striker puts a couple of goals in doesnt mean he should sulk for a month and play crap.

It has gotten to the point where I think the motivation side of the game is almost better to avoid, as you go wrong so much it simply isnt worth it. I end up damaging more morale than I boost. Ive at least learned to completely ignore any of what my staff have to say, as that almost always upsets players. I know I have to use my own discretion when praising a player but come on, are there really that many self concious players out there who sulk when they dont get the EXACT amount of praise they want? Help me out here, I'm fed up of these fussy millionaires playing rubbish because I've said something completely reasonable.

motivation doesnt even work.. you can have team fired up and loosing game to weaker side.. you can be playing with confidence yet playing like crap,

you can have plain simple playing ok and win 5 0.....

and there is that one "no discipline " in team.. **** me sideways i never figured that out.. i can win 20 games in row.. but i wont have discipline, i can have professional, determined squad.. yet still no discipline, i start fining my squad for red cards.. they go apeshit on me.. , in the end i just ignore it and get on with the game

So how do you do it right? It shouldn't be kept such a mystery. Football Manager is like the least helpful game ever when it comes to stuff like this. You just have to use trial and error until you can predict each players reaction perfectly. Its lame.

Let your assistant manager to take them. Simple :)

you said how to do it right in your OP: just suck their balls so much that they can't possibly hate you. that's my strategy, and aside from the occasional complaining that i'm prasing them for doing nothing, their reasonably happy. everyone's on superb morale :D

Thats what I try to do. The problems come from saying the wrong things. Apparently my players are very particular and need the exact right amount of praise, or will stop playing well. Dzeko just won world player of the year and had banged in 40 goals by January, but I made the fatal mistake of telling him I was pleased with his performances. This hellworthy sin has seen his form plummet and he has been pathetic for the second half of the season.

oh, well i'm glad that i don't have to purchase dzeko. milan starts out with great strikers, although i'm sure me saying this doesn't help you that much :D

try telling him that you expect a performance from him when the game begins. i'm assuming you were talking about complacency in dzeko, so that might help him gain some focus.

Archived