How to create a tight, deep, defense?

I've set the 'defensive line' bar in team instructions to several notches below halfway and closing down to 'stand off more'.

Basically I want a defense that sits deep as my centre-backs are slow but quite tall. Obviously I want it to be quite tight as well.

Some more info (I could be doing this very wrong/contradicting instructions), I have my fullbacks set to close down quite a lot to try and stop crosses coming in, and my team is set to be playing quite narrow (I play a 4-4-2 diamond). Was looking for tips to shore up the defense in this manner, I also have an anchor-man sitting in front of the back 4.

You need to consider various 'levels' of the following:

Narrrow Width.... keeps team tight.

Low CF in defence... keeps them doing what you ask

Low FWR

Low RWB

Similar mentalities through the back 4.

Low(ish) DL

man marking, but be careful of switching players

low(ish) closing down.

Philosiphy .... rigid or very rigid.

With an anchor man in the back 4 then I would consider having your wingers on man mark rather than high closing down. When you close down heavily on a talented winger, you tend to lose out as they possess the skills to leave you for dead unless you make the tackle. Whereas using the WB's to mark and then relying on the anchor man to drop back into a DC role then still leaves you with 4 at the back + your 'dragged out of position' WB.

LAM

Archived