"Soccer is a business, not a sport."

Educated Hick

I rang in the New Year with a 10 hour journey from Kansas City to Manchester. Connections and delays made the trip a very long ordeal. I left KC at 6am and arrived in Manchester 10pm Brit time. At least I didn’t have to wait too long to clear customs. I hailed a cab, went to my hotel and fell asleep as soon as I got to my room. The next morning, the 3rd, I ate an “English†breakfast. To be fair, eggs, bacon, sausages and toast are the same everywhere. The only non-American twist was the tea really, and that wasn’t so bad, though I had to drink more tea to match the caffeine I get from coffee. I spent the day touring Manchester and trying to shake off jet lag.

The next day, I attended the evening fixture between Manchester United and Coventry at Old Trafford. I arrived early, mainly to walk around the stadium. The only real difference from an American stadium was the food (pies and such) and the fact that no alcohol was served in the stadium. Otherwise, except for the fact that it was a soccer stadium, Old Trafford would not look out of place in an American city- a testament to how global sports have become. Indeed, as I showed an usher my scouting pass and was directed to my seat, I couldn’t help but notice how the crowd was similar to a New York Yankees crowd. Both are curious mix of corporate suits, diehard fans and bandwagon fans that only support winners. Since Coventry was bottom of the league, there was little real enthusiasm shown except for the few fans that had clearly spent two hours in the pub prior to the game. I sat down, pulled a small pad and pen from my pocket. No one paid any attention to me, except to look at my John Deere baseball hat. Otherwise, I appeared to be your normal Yank tourist. As I watched Tim Howard stretch and field passes and shots during warm-ups, I did confirm a couple of things. Howard is indeed a superb keeper. His physical tools are excellent, including speed, which most goalkeepers don’t have. His judgment appeared sound and his keeping ability did look world-class.

It was fortunate that I observed Howard during the pre game, as he didn’t do much during the actual game. I couldn’t tell you all that much about the action as I focused on Howard and the defense. During the first half, the Man U defense made Howard’s job easy as Coventry only had a couple shots, none on goal. Not that the defense was being pretty about it. They resorted to hacking away, and were duly booked with about three yellows. Howard did show nice jumping and anticipation when he snagged a cross that came in from the right side. Manchester took a 2-0 lead behind Nistlerooy’s brace and began to cruise late in the half. At halftime I wandered the stadium until I came across a coffee stand. I bought a large cup and went back to my seat, figuring that the extra caffeine might keep me awake during the second half. By the end of the game, the coffee had come in handy. Whatever the Coventry manager had said during the break had inspired his troops and they came out attacking. The Manchester defense, with three yellows to its credit, played ole defense, which gave Howard an opportunity to showcase his skills. He made a couple of routine saves, including a parry. He kept himself from having to save all that much as more than once he sprinted out and tackled the man with the ball- winning all three of his challenges. Howard didn’t get much rest all half as Coventry kept up the pressure. Most goalkeepers would have cracked, not Howard, he kept calm and earned his clean sheet. Towards the end of the contest, Coventry nearly scored when the forward took a cross and broke through the defense. He took one second too long to line up his shot and Howard recovered, dove to his right and got his fingertips on the ball. That save, plus the shutout, got Howard an 8 rating in the media. I walked out of Old Trafford convinced that Howard was the clear number one choice for US keeper.

I spent the next couple of days traveling and arrived in Chesterfield on the evening of the 6th. I called the ticket office and for 30 pounds got a decent seat with good sight lines for the next day’s FA Cup game featuring WBA and Chesterfield. The next day, I dressed as plainly as possible so that I could blend in with the crowd- Chesterfield was far smaller than Manchester United and there was no way to hide- no matter what I did to disguise myself. The minute I sat down my seat and pulled out my notebook, people surrounding me began to whisper and point and within 15 minutes before kickoff, the entire stadium crowd of 9,000 or so knew there was a scout in the house. I distinctly heard two boys sitting a couple of rows behind me arguing over which team I represented and who I was scouting. Neither was even close in their conjectures. The buzz died down shortly before kickoff; mainly because it started to rain and people’s voices became obscured by hoods and umbrellas. I had on a wide brim fedora to keep the rain off my face and notebook. I looked at my scorecard and noted the player I was here to look at. David Dougall, AKA “Junior†was playing forward for Chesterfield. Dougall had spent his career in the English lower leagues, and many would question why the national team manager would even look at him. The reason was twofold. First, it gave me justification to make this scouting trip, besides Junior, there were only two other Americans playing regularly in Great Britain as a whole and number two, it gave all the Americans playing abroad some confidence, knowing that their national team manager was paying attention.

The game wasn’t really worth the price of admission unless you were a Chesterfield fan. WBA had no luck with the referee, who sent a man off from their side after only 20 minutes. Chesterfield took advantage and attacked the goal. Junior bagged a goal on 38 to make the game 3-0 at halftime. West Brom gamely tried to come back, but the ref didn’t cooperate, sending off another of their men on 65. Down to nine men, West Brom capitulated and the two sides mutually agreed to run out the clock. As they kicked the ball around midfield for 25 minutes, I scribbled notes on Junior. He wasn’t national team material. For one thing, he had no experience with a top club. Secondly, Junior’s skills were below average for a national team player. In fact, Junior scored most of his goals on pure athleticism and knowing where to be on offense. That wouldn’t be good enough for the international game, where you have to be good at all phases of the game. I did, however, make a mental note to tell my former MLS colleagues about Junior. He would be a great goal scorer in our league, if not for the US National team. When the game was over and I exited the stadium, I let out a sigh of relief. I didn’t have to be anywhere until the 14 when I would have to be in Nice France. I intended to do a few days of sightseeing in Scotland. So to properly begin my vacation, I found a pub down the street from the Chesterfield stadium and enjoyed one pint of bitter ale before I had to go to the train station to catch a train bound for Edinburgh.

I managed to do quite a bit in Scotland during my week there. Being a museum fan and a veteran traveler, I packed my schedule full. I visited the Royal and National museums in Edinburgh wandering through displays of national art, and sciences and whatnot absorbing Scots history and culture. I traveled to the government buildings, learning about Scots political and legal systems, including what exactly a verdict of “not proven†actually means. Being from a rural area myself, I felt compelled to travel to East Kilbride, where the “Country Life†museum is located. I’m not sure whether I should be relieved or disappointed at what I found. Turns out rural life everywhere is pretty much the same. Life is slowing paced and unhurried and people must generate their own entertainment. In the past, this involved dances, music and storytelling, and consuming vast amounts of alcohol on Friday and Saturday nights and praying for forgiveness on Sunday. The only thing that’s changed in rural life today is the fact that running water and electricity make life a bit easier. Rural folks must still find their own amusements, though, today, the entertainment is likely to remain on the farm or the house as the internet, TV, or the radio allow for solitary pleasures. What I saw at the museum didn’t really surprise me, as the exhibits showed the Scots twist on universal rural themes. I even managed to find time to visit my family’s old town. As I toured the town and spoke with the guides, I discovered the family’s checkered history. It seems that, during the reign of James the Sixth, several the men in the family were highly critical of the king. They were deemed subversive troublemakers, and “harried from the land.†The family was forced to move to Ireland in one of the great plantations and from there, eventually wound up over in the United States.

The real highlight of the week in Scotland was meeting a member of CMS. Iain, Stuart and Bob were all busy with work, so I didn’t get to meet them. I had wanted to meet the CMS gang for a few years now and finally got the chance to meet one of the blokes. I had been posting on the forum since 2002. They knew I was a football manager, but never bothered me with questions about it. I never wrote stories about San Jose or anything, preferring to stick to more exotic locales like Wales or Croatia. I was able to meet one of the CMS lot- Simon, in a pub in Edinburgh. We spent an amicable evening drinking and swapping tales of life, football and CM all for free as I was charging it all to my USSA expense account. At the end of the evening, I got up from the table and pulled an envelope from my coat pocket. I handed it to Simon and said, “Hey, if you ain’t doing anything during the World Cup, here’s a bunch of tickets to all of Scotland’s group games, plus tickets to the second round and onwards. Enjoy!†I walked out of the pub chuckling to myself as I left Simon staring at the thick envelope. Knowing a national team manager does have its perks.

Note: This story is still going. It's just been put on the back burner as I'm really enjoying my Ragusa game. This story should pick up more once I've filled in the time between my hiring and the World Cup.

The last two games of my scouting trip were busts. I left Scotland and arrived in Nice on the morning of the 14th. I was there to watch Marseille and Nice play and to watch two Americans- defender Ogubu Owyewu, a Nigerian-born defender for Nice and Marseille midfielder John O’Brian. I took my seat in the stadium and scanned my game program. I couldn’t find O’Brian’s name in the Marseille lineup. Turns out he was injured. Owyewu was playing for Nice however, so it wasn’t a total waste. Unfortunately the 24 yr old had a pedestrian game. He showed nice athletic and skills, but we had better defenders available. From what I saw, Owyewu’s time would come in a couple of years- perhaps the 2010 World Cup. When he was lifted in the 64 minute, I left the stadium, figuring I’d catch a train back to England. I had to get back to Manchester by the 16th and I got an earlier start than I anticipated.

I was going back to Manchester for the Man City- Blackburn game. I was there to watch veteran goalie Brad Friedel. The 37 year old keeper showed he still had skills in a 1-0 shutout of City. He still had great instincts and positioning, but a good deal of his athletic ability was gone. Still, he’d impressed me enough to consider putting him on the National team for one final time. Being on the bubble, his fate would depend on how the rest of his season went. If he had a good season and showed he was still Prem-quality then he would be in, if not, he wouldn’t get a national team spot. During the Man City game, he showed what a veteran keeper can do, using his vast experience to anticipate plays and make easy saves that a younger keeper wouldn’t have made.

Once I had seen Friedel, my scouting trip was finished. I headed back to the US with a notebook full of info and a rough idea of the American talent abroad. I had decided to skip touring Germany as I needed to keep my expenses down. I knew that getting film on the German-based US players would be easier than watching them in person. Besides, tape has a longer lasting impact than a one-off scouting trip. At any rate, I needed to save my overseas visits for team scouting. If I could pull it off, I needed to watch any Japan or Yugoslavia friendly matches. Know thy enemy is the first rule of sports. When I got back to headquarters I began requesting tape and to see whether any of our pool opponents had games schedule

After the January trip , the World Cup came rapidly. Before I knew it, the date to submit final rosters was at hand. In constructing my roster I made one thing clear. This team would have guts and determination. All the players I selected were known for giving it all. Talent may win long seasons, but guts wins the short haul. As a result, talented players like Taylor Twellman were left off because of lack of determination. If we were behind in any of the games, I wanted players willing to scratch and claw their way back.

Another result of my fixation on guts was that the roster was young for a World Cup squad, averaging just above 27 years of age. It turned out that we were the second youngest squad, only Ghana was younger. It also seemed that 2006 was a transitional year for the US national side. I refused, on principle, select any of Arena’s fat old duffers who had made the side go stale. Only two of Arena’s graybeards even merited a long look at inclusion in my side. Claudio Reyna was as good a midfielder as we had even at 36. But I did not select him for one simple reason. He’s no longer fast enough or quick enough to handle international competition. His experience and guile might help him to do well in MLS, but he’d be outquicked by the international opposition. The other graybeard considered for selection was Brad Friedel. I wound up not taking him because he didn’t have a very good year for Blackburn. The game I saw him in was a noticeable aberration in his year. Both were therefore done with international football most likely. As for Arena’s other mid-30 players, none were even considered for the team. Only one national team lock was injured. DaMarcus Beasley was out and wouldn’t recover in time; otherwise he’d have been a surefire selection.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

United States - Wednesday 7th June 2006

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

Squad

================================================================================================

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Adu, Freddy AM C USA 23.5.88 18 4 1 ¤625K 25.1.07 ¤5M

RMC- He’s the youngest player in the WC, but he will start. Has phenomenal talent. The WC is his chance to

showcase himself to the Italian scouts who are already watching him.

- Alvarez, Arturo F C USA 19.8.85 20 9 - ¤230K 24.1.09 ¤6.25M

Backup FC He and I may have clashed in San Jose, but there’s no doubt this guy can score goals.

Barrett, Wade D LC USA 23.6.76 29 - - ¤200K 6.1.09 ¤1.2M

Backup LB Shrewd veteran provides good cover for a weak position.

Bocanegra, Carlos D LC USA 25.5.77 29 39 2 ¤500K 16.1.10 ¤2.6M

LDC- Veteran player has quickness and skill to stifle most international forwards.

- C.J. Brown D RC USA 15.6.75 30 41 5 ¤150K 2.1.07 ¤3.3M

RDC- Longtime Chicago vet is one of MLS’s best DCs. Will be reunited with former teammate Bocanegra in defense.

- Cannon, Joe GK USA 1.1.75 31 1 - ¤475K 5.1.09 ¤2.6M

Backup GK Probably the most consistant keepers in MLS. Won’t lose his head if called upon to replace Howard.

- Conway, Jon GK USA 6.5.77 29 - - ¤250K 20.1.10 ¤2.9M

Third-string GK Chicago keeper a good third option between the sticks.

- Davis, Brad AM LC USA 8.11.81 24 - - ¤275K 11.1.10 ¤3.6M

Backup LMC Davis had a breakout year for San Jose last season and gets a spot based on his performance.

- Donovan, Landon F RLC USA 4.3.82 24 42 14 ¤2M 23.6.11 ¤17.25M

FC German star likely to be the next “Captain America.†Most talented forward we have. Donovan will have to

score for us to have a chance.

- Eddie Johnson S C USA 31.3.84 22 - - ¤200K 28.1.08 ¤4.9M

Backup FC EJ was the other SJ player to have a breakout season. Is a talented targetman who can drill

headers by the opposition.

- Howard, Tim GK USA 6.3.79 27 34 - ¤4.3M 23.6.10 ¤17.25M

One of the best goalkeepers in the world and he gets a chance to prove it here. Must continue his European form if

we are to win.

- Kovalenko, Dema AM/F C USA 28.8.77 28 - - ¤210K 21.1.07 ¤1M

Backup AMC Gritty veteran who hates to lose. His fine dribbling skills earned him a spot on the roster.

- Longenecker, Craig M C USA 12.8.85 20 - - ¤60K 17.1.08 ¤925K

Backup CMC Youngster can play the holding role well, so he gets a chance.

- Mathis, Clint F C USA 25.11.76 29 38 17 ¤975K 1.6.09 ¤7.25M

AMC Another German league star, Mathis will be expected to provide both scoring and defense from the AMC spot.

- McCarty, Chad D RC USA 5.10.77 28 8 - ¤240K 28.1.08 ¤1.5M

Backup DC MLS veteran will be expected to play well if the starters go down. Solid defender.

- Mulrooney, Richard D/DM RC USA 3.11.76 29 7 1 ¤275K 27.1.10 ¤2.3M

Backup RB Can cross, dribble and defend reasonably well. Therefore earns the backup job.

- O'Brien, John DM RLC USA 29.8.75 30 39 4 ¤1.8M 9.6.08 ¤7.5M

LMC Marseille midfielder can cross well and is well rounded.

- Olsen, Ben F RLC USA 3.5.77 29 24 3 ¤550K 15.1.10 ¤3.9M

CMC MLS veteran will hold down the fort center midfield.

- Pause, Logan D/DM LC USA 26.4.81 25 4 - ¤230K 8.1.09 ¤4.9M

LB Young Chicago fullback gets his chance to impress international viewers.

- Petke, Mike D C USA 30.1.76 30 3 - ¤275K 4.1.08 ¤2.3M

Backup DC Has played in the MLS since its inception. Competant defender finally gets his national team chance.

- Pope, Eddie D RC USA 24.12.73 32 70 5 ¤825K 16.11.08 ¤2.3M

RB Top Swedish League star and US national team member; Pope will be expected to lead the defense. Speedy

player with good skills.

- Russell, Ian AM/F RLC USA 30.8.75 30 - - ¤200K 23.1.08 ¤2.5M

Backup RMC Savvy vet can send in crosses from the right and was a late game hero on more than one occasion for San Jose.

- Victorine, Sasha DM/S C USA 3.2.78 28 7 1 ¤300K 4.1.09 ¤5.5M

FC MLS leading goalscorer for the past two seasons. Can finish with deadly calm.

</pre>

Other Teams readers may be interested in:

Alan Curbishley’s England squd:

England - Wednesday 7th June 2006

Squad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Agyemang, Patrick S C ENG 29.9.80 25 - - ¤800K 10.5.07 ¤7.25M

- Armstrong, Ian F RLC ENG 16.11.81 24 - - ¤1M 12.6.08 ¤6M

- Beattie, James S C ENG 27.2.76 30 27 8 ¤4.5M 23.5.09 ¤14.75M

- Beckham, David M RC ENG 2.5.73 33 70 10 ¤5.25M 22.5.07 ¤5M

- Bowyer, Lee M RC ENG 3.1.74 32 1 - ¤4.1M 14.6.07 ¤4M

- Bramble, Titus SW/D C ENG 6.7.79 26 2 - ¤1.2M 4.6.08 ¤7.75M

- Bridge, Wayne D/DM L ENG 5.8.78 27 38 - ¤6M 2.6.10 ¤31M

- Brown, Michael DM C ENG 25.1.75 31 - - ¤2M 19.6.07 ¤3.4M

- Clement, Neil D LC ENG 3.10.78 27 - - ¤1.1M 18.6.10 ¤6.5M

- Cole, Joe AM RLC ENG 8.1.79 27 12 1 ¤6.25M 26.6.11 ¤36M

- Davis, Sean M RC ENG 20.9.77 28 - - ¤3.5M 13.6.10 ¤6.25M

- Defoe, Jermain S C ENG 7.10.82 23 17 4 ¤2M 23.6.08 ¤18.75M

- Dyer, Kieron AM RLC ENG 29.12.76 29 28 2 ¤4.9M 27.6.08 ¤14.25M

- Euell, Jason S C ENG 6.2.76 30 - - ¤2.7M 21.6.08 ¤9.75M

- Ferdinand, Anton D C ENG 18.12.85 20 - - ¤1.2M 10.6.08 ¤2.4M

- Ferdinand, Rio D C ENG 7.11.76 29 56 1 ¤7M 14.6.10 ¤25.5M

- Gardner, Anthony D C ENG 19.9.78 27 11 - ¤4.1M 17.6.10 ¤9M

- Hargreaves, Owen DM RLC ENG 20.1.79 27 25 - ¤2.9M 1.6.08 ¤9.5M

- Harley, Jon D/AM L ENG 26.9.77 28 - - ¤1.3M 12.5.08 ¤8.25M

- Heskey, Emile F LC ENG 11.1.75 31 26 3 ¤5.75M 3.6.08 ¤13M

- Higginbotham, Danny D LC ENG 29.12.76 29 - - ¤1.1M 24.5.09 ¤6.25M

- Hoult, Russell GK ENG 22.11.72 33 - - ¤2.2M 10.5.08 ¤5M

- Johnson, Glen D RC ENG 23.8.82 23 1 - ¤2.9M 28.6.10 ¤7.75M

- Kenton, Darren SW/D RLC ENG 13.9.76 29 1 - ¤2.6M 28.5.07 ¤3.6M

- King, Ledley D/DM C ENG 12.10.78 27 - - ¤2.9M 7.6.07 ¤3.9M

- Kirkland, Chris GK ENG 2.5.79 27 10 - ¤4.5M 7.6.11 ¤9.75M

- Lampard, Frank AM C ENG 20.6.76 29 29 4 ¤7.25M 23.6.08 ¤14M

- Mason, Rob GK ENG 6.2.86 20 - - ¤425K 8.5.07 ¤1.8M

- Mellor, Neil S C ENG 4.11.81 24 - - ¤800K 5.5.07 ¤5.25M

- Milner, James F RC ENG 4.1.84 22 - - ¤1.8M 2.6.10 ¤11M

- Neville, Gary D RC ENG 18.2.73 33 91 - ¤5.5M 11.6.09 ¤3.8M

- O'Neil, Gary M RC ENG 18.5.81 25 - - ¤1.7M 3.6.10 ¤8.5M

- Owen, Michael F C ENG 14.12.77 28 82 51 ¤7.25M 27.6.11 ¤31.5M

- Parker, Scott M C ENG 13.10.78 27 2 1 ¤2.9M 3.6.07 ¤10.5M

- Reid, Paul D C ENG 18.2.82 24 - - ¤1.2M 12.5.09 ¤7.5M

- Reo-Coker, Nigel M RLC ENG 20.10.84 21 - - ¤1.8M 20.5.09 ¤7.25M

- Richardson, Kieran AM L ENG 21.10.83 22 12 2 ¤700K 19.5.09 ¤13M

- Riggott, Chris D C ENG 1.9.78 27 4 - ¤3.5M 6.6.11 ¤8.5M

- Taylor, Martin D C ENG 9.11.77 28 9 - ¤575K 1.6.07 ¤16.75M

- Taylor, Matthew D/DM L ENG 27.11.79 26 22 1 ¤2.9M 23.6.10 ¤10M

- Taylor, Stuart GK ENG 28.11.78 27 - - ¤750K 11.6.08 ¤1.1M

- Terry, John D C ENG 7.5.78 28 25 - ¤4.5M 11.6.10 ¤15.5M

- Vassell, Darius S C ENG 30.6.78 27 21 8 ¤4M 12.5.09 ¤13M

- Webber, Danny F RC ENG 28.12.81 24 - - ¤725K 11.5.09 ¤12.25M

- Whittingham, Peter AM L ENG 3.8.82 23 - - ¤210K 26.6.08 ¤1.9M

- Woodgate, Jonathan SW/D C ENG 22.1.77 29 10 - ¤5.75M 20.6.10 ¤8.25M

- Wright, Richard GK ENG 5.11.76 29 4 - ¤2.2M 2.6.11 ¤6.25M

</pre>

Bertie Vogt’s Scotland squd:

Scotland - Wednesday 7th June 2006

Squad

- Alexander, Neil GK SCO 10.3.78 28 - - ¤725K 26.6.08 ¤2.1M

- Boyd, Kris D/DM R SCO 18.8.83 22 - - ¤3.2M 12.5.09 ¤4.4M

- Brown, Mark GK SCO 28.2.81 25 - - ¤1.3M 7.5.09 ¤1.3M

- Campbell, Mark D C SCO 4.2.78 28 - - ¤85K 20.6.07 ¤3M

- Dailly, Christian D/DM C SCO 23.10.73 32 57 4 ¤8.75M 12.6.08 ¤7.75M

- Davidson, Ryan S C SCO 19.1.82 24 - - ¤575K 3.6.10 ¤8M

- Doig, Christopher D LC SCO 13.2.81 25 - - ¤1.4M 5.6.10 ¤4.2M

- Easton, Craig M RC SCO 26.2.79 27 - - ¤500K 13.6.10 ¤5.5M

- Ferguson, Barry M C SCO 2.2.76 30 29 3 ¤4.5M 18.5.09 ¤8.25M

- Fletcher, Darren AM RC SCO 1.2.83 23 27 4 ¤10.25M 13.6.10 ¤22M

- Forrest, Eddie D C SCO 17.12.78 27 - - ¤50K 27.6.06 ¤825K

- Gallacher, Paul GK SCO 16.8.79 26 3 - ¤850K 5.6.09 ¤5.25M

- Hannah, David DM RLC SCO 4.8.74 31 1 - ¤26K 15.6.07 ¤3M

- Hay, Garry D L SCO 7.9.77 28 - - ¤230K 20.5.07 ¤2.2M

- Hughes, Stephen AM RC SCO 14.11.80 25 - - ¤110K 21.6.07 ¤2M

- Innes, Chris D C SCO 13.7.76 29 - - ¤1.4M 9.5.07 ¤2.6M

- Kerr, Mark M C SCO 2.3.82 24 5 - ¤2.7M 31.5.08 ¤10.25M

- Lauchlan, Jim D LC SCO 2.2.77 29 - - ¤675K 25.5.09 ¤1.9M

- Lauchlan, Martin AM/F RL SCO 1.10.80 25 - - ¤550K 9.5.07 ¤1.8M

- Mackay, Malky D C SCO 19.2.72 34 7 - ¤2.6M 22.6.07 ¤2.1M

- Maloney, Shaun F C SCO 24.1.81 25 2 - ¤650K 26.5.10 ¤7.25M

- Mason, Gary DM C SCO 15.10.79 26 - - ¤2.1M 2.5.09 ¤3.4M

- McCann, Neil AM/F RLC SCO 11.8.72 33 30 3 ¤3M 13.6.07 ¤2.2M

- McFadden, James S C SCO 14.4.82 24 26 6 ¤1.1M 24.6.06 ¤300K

- McGroarty, Chris D/AM RL SCO 6.2.81 25 - - ¤1M 23.6.08 ¤4.3M

- McGuire, Phil D C SCO 4.3.78 28 6 - ¤800K 7.6.09 ¤3.5M

- McNaughton, Kevin D RL SCO 28.8.80 25 20 2 ¤1.4M 13.6.10 ¤5.25M

- Miller, Kenny F RC SCO 23.12.77 28 11 2 ¤900K 26.6.11 ¤10.25M

- Milne, Steven S C SCO 5.5.80 26 - - ¤275K 23.6.07 ¤2.8M

- Murray, Scott AM RLC SCO 26.5.74 32 7 - ¤825K 24.5.07 ¤3.8M

- Naysmith, Gary D L SCO 16.11.78 27 23 - ¤1.7M 18.6.08 ¤5.75M

- Nicholson, Barry DM RC SCO 24.8.78 27 9 - ¤1.4M 25.5.09 ¤4.4M

- O'Connor, Gary S C SCO 7.5.83 23 - - ¤625K 7.5.09 ¤6.75M

- Parker, Kiegan F RC SCO 8.6.82 23 - - ¤275K 14.6.09 ¤5.75M

- Pearson, Stephen AM C SCO 2.10.80 25 6 - ¤850K 3.6.10 ¤11.5M

- Pressley, Steven D RC SCO 11.10.73 32 18 - ¤1.2M 9.5.08 ¤3.1M

- Ritchie, Paul D C SCO 21.8.75 30 2 1 ¤1.2M 4.5.09 ¤4.5M

- Robson, Barry AM LC SCO 7.11.78 27 - - ¤200K 17.6.08 ¤1.7M

- Rudden, Paul D/M C SCO 10.8.80 25 - - ¤170K 18.5.09 ¤3.6M

- Samson, Craig GK SCO 14.2.84 22 - - ¤210K 26.6.06 ¤1.1M

- Speroni, Julián GK SCO 18.5.79 27 4 - ¤300K 27.6.06 ¤2.6M

- Tawse, Kenny D LC SCO 7.8.86 19 - - ¤800K 2.6.08 ¤850K

- Thompson, Steven F RLC SCO 14.10.76 29 12 3 ¤925K 21.6.10 ¤9.5M

- Walker, Scott D C SCO 5.3.75 31 2 - ¤975K 18.6.08 ¤5.25M

- Wilson, Scott D C SCO 19.3.77 29 1 - ¤825K 15.6.10 ¤4.5M

- Young, Darren DM C SCO 13.10.78 27 - - ¤300K 1.5.07 ¤3.9M

- Zárate, Rolando S C ARG 6.8.78 27 - - ¤50K 9.6.06 ¤4M

</pre>

Cheers Simon, your point is well taken. But you could always scalp the tickets! icon_biggrin.gif

The World Cup: First group matches

The World Cup was kicked off by Italy’s 1-0 win over Belgium with Rossini scoring the events first goal. The most anticipated match of the first slate of matches was Portugal vs. Brazil ended in a 0-0 draw. The most surprising result was Greece’s 1-1 draw with France. As one can tell, there was not much drama leading up to the US’s opening match against Japan. Freddy Adu had a minor leg injury during the week’s training and his spot in the lineup was taken on by Ian Russell. I wasn’t about to risk a Cup-ending injury to Adu in the first game. He would prove more valuable against the two teams that were tougher than Japan. So Adu sat out the game in hopes that he would be fit for the other two games in the group stage. I selected EJ, Kovolenko, Davis, Alvarez, Mulrooney, Barrett and Cannon to the bench for the Japan game.

June 9th was a cool afternoon in Düsseldorf. The sun was shining and the pitch immaculately groomed. Both teams lined up for the national anthems and player introductions. As the Star Spangled Banner played, I felt a surge of pride. I was proud of other US team. As the game got underway Japan came out in a 3-5-2 with an offside trap. They were using varied passing and were playing at a normal tempo. The scoring started quickly as Japanese forward Yamase who plays for Duisburg in the German league took the ball upon kickoff, dribbled in and drove a low ball past Howard to open the account in favor of Japan 1-0. We didn’t panic as three minutes later Kaiserslauten’s Donovan headed in a corner sent in by Hanover 96’s Mathis to even the score 1-1. After that, the half turned into a midfield battle. Neither team was able to mount an effective attack. Donovan and Victorine were constantly turning the ball over as the Japanese trap neutralized them. Neither team dominated possession. At halftime I gathered my team together and began making adjustments. The two forwards were told to play back and not allow the Japanese defense to trap them out. I also told the team to start pressing and to play the offside trap themselves. We might as well give the Japanese at dose of their own strategy. This clearly was not going to be an offensive gem, whichever team could take advantage of the limited chances it got would be the victor.

It looked like Japan didn’t make any adjustments as the second half started. The first 15 minutes were a midfield slugfest. Then on 61, Ian Russell drove in a low scorcher off an unselfish pass by Mathis to put the US ahead 2-1. Mathis had had a shot, but passed it up and was rewarded for his charitable play. But, in fairness, the goal was a result of great team play as Pope and Mathis kept the ball moving. After our goal, I immediately shifted O’Brien to CMC and subbed in Davis at LMC in place of Olsen, who was having a pedestrian game. As Japan began to attack, I told my team to play defensively, not to press and to keep a man behind the ball at all times. The defense held firm and we walked off with the 2-1 victory. Truth be told, the second half was spent largely in midfield with neither team doing much attacking. We just used our chances better than Japan did. Both teams were 3 of 4 in shooting. The difference in the second half was that we didn’t turn the ball over as much. The MOM was Mathis, who had directly created both goals. Now we had almost a week off until we had to face the 800 pound gorilla Argentina.

Argentina beat Yugoslavia 1-0 in the other group H game. For a 1-0 game Argentina blew out the Yugoslavs- pounding them into submission on both offense and defense. Yugoslavia pulled out every defensive trick in the book to keep the score low. As I watched the game and later, the tape, I realized just how good Argentina actually was. It was going to be a tough match for sure. In other action England beat Romania on a goal by Michael Owen in the 69th minute. Scotland, on the other hand got beat by Spain 2-0. The Scots played well, but an awful game by McFadden hurt their chances to score and the boys in blue had no answer for Raul in midfield.

World Cup: Second game go rounds.

Most of the games in the run-up to our match with Argentina were thoroughly uninteresting. The only ones that elicited my attention were Colombia’s 1-1 draw with Italy and Croatia’s 4-1 drilling of Algeria. Both were unexpected results and watching those tapes gave me a brief respite from my preoccupation with Argentina. There was no doubt it was going to be a tough game. I shuffled the lineup a bit for the game, starting McCarty at DC instead of Brown and I reorganized the midfield, starting Adu at LMC, O’Brien at CMC and Russell at RMC. Olsen took a seat on the bench in place of Alvarez. During the week, Adu had become the latest American to sign with a Bundsliga side- he would move to Dortmund on July 1st for $10 million. All the media buzzing about that was distracting. It didn’t help that Adu wasn’t quite fit, but he would make the start anyway. We needed our best and brightest to dress for this game. In a training session the day before the match we received grim news- Tim Howard had twisted his ankle and would be out for the rest of the Cup. Joe Cannon would have to face the formidable Argentines. I could only hope he could pull off a Kasey Keller sized miracle. Cannon had no international experience aside from a solitary cap for the national team. He’s a 31 ye old veteran who can keep cool, though I didn’t blame him for turning slightly green when I turn him he was starting. You’d turn green too if you had to face Ortega and Saviola. A miracle did occur however. I had read my schedule wrong. Our next game was actually against Yugoslavia, a team nowhere near as frightening as the Argentines. When I stood in the dressing room and announced my mistake, I was greeted by an audible sigh of relief instead of boiling anger which I thought I deserved. Donovan, who was captain in place of Howard, confidently led the troops out onto the pitch for warm-ups.

The evening was bright and cool dipping to the mid 50’s. Yugoslavia came out in the Norway 4-5-1 and was playing a normal pace, pressing and using the offside trap. To counter this latter tactic, I told my forwards to hang back. I also told my team to press. The game opened up as a defensive struggle. Neither team could muster an attack while the midfield reassembled a school hallway between classes. Yugoslavia was threatening our defense than I would have liked, but they hadn’t done much. Then, on 28 things went pear-shaped. Cannon received a red card for an intentional foul and was sent off. I subbed in backup Conway for Victorine and told Donovan he now had a free hand and to go forward. I told the team to attack and to play the offside trap. Popovic buried the penalty for Yugoslavia and they went into the half with the 1-0 lead. Although they had shifted to an attacking tempo late in the half, they hadn’t done much damage.

As the second half was to begin, I pulled Donovan aside and told him to stick to the game-plan. If we could break their defense, then we could still salvage something from this farce. As expected, our opponents hunkered down to stall us out. They kept the game at midfield and stubbornly refused to yield. On 74 I sent in my last two subs, EJ for Donovan and Davis for O’Brien. Then I went back to the dugout and sat down. I was fresh out of ideas to try. On 76, barely two minutes after using my last two subs, Mathis limped off the field. Now down to nine men, I put Adu in the AMC slot. The game finally ended with both sides racing up the pitch to attack, but neither side could do anything. So a very ugly game ended in a Yugoslav victory. This did not put us in a good position for the real showdown coming up with Argentina.

The second games of the group stage contained some surprises to come. The evening fixtures after our loss were particularly intriguing. Peru managed a 1-1 draw with Holland Japan managed to draw 1-1 with Argentina. The latter result had me grinding my teeth in frustration. Had we won our game, we would have been in the driver’s seat. Instead, we were in third place. In other games, Greece mauled Tunisia 7-3. Scotland managed to redeem them by drawing 2-2 with Morocco, with McFadden and Fletcher providing the firepower. The draw left Scotland in third place as they prepared to play Saudi Arabia in the last game of the stage. England continued its steady play by winning their game 1-0 and qualifying for the second round. As these games wrapped up, we prepared in earnest for the correct opponent this time. Argentina had been humbled slightly by Japan, but in my mind, that made them an even more formidable team.

World Cup Game 3 cycle:

A brilliant two-goal performance by McFadden in a 3-0 rout of Saudi Arabia was not enough to send the Scots through to the second round. As the preceding groups played out their games, I spent my time worrying over Argentina. We would play the match with a dinged-up squad. In addition to Mathis and Howard, O’Brien and EJ became injured in practice too. Cannon, of course, was suspended a game for being sent off. This left me with one active goalkeeper on the roster. I was praying that Conway would make it through the game. I also reorganized the defense. Barrett got the start at LB and Brown was partnered with McCarty in central defense. The midfield featured Davis, Adu and Russell and Kovalenko at AMC. The bench was loaded with defensemen as they were the only healthy players on the team. To be honest, I watched much film on Argentina and I wasn’t sure how we could win. We had to win to advance, but we were outmanned and outgunned. Here’s where my empathies on grit would pay dividends. It was now or never.

The stadium was bathed in bright afternoon sunlight as the two teams warmed up. I could sense the awe that my players observed the fluid motions of the Argentine players, at the end of the warm-ups U gathered my payers and I said one word as I stared at my charges in the eye, “Win.†Then I sent the starting eleven out to do the kickoff. I pulled a pouch of tobacco out of my pocket and crammed a large wad in my cheek. I knew chewing tobacco was illegal in Germany, but I needed to follow my match routine. Superstition is well served when you play a vastly superior team. I studded my hands into my khaki pants pockets and paced up and down the sideline as the game got underway. Argentina wasn’t going or anything fancy; with their talent there was no need. They did demonstrate in the opening minutes that they were going to pressure us all day long. To counter that pressure, I told my defense to play the offside trap. Maybe Saviola would be too quick for his own good. Through the first 20 minutes Argentina pressured us, but got no chances. We managed to push our way into their territory as the half proceeded, but we missed both shots we got off. Argentina, for their part played a bit cautiously. They didn’t want to make a mistake that would cost them the game. Therefore the score at halftime was the same as at the start of the game 0-0.

During halftime I lavished praise in the defense for playing superbly. Our offside trap was giving us free kicks galore, but our midfield was playing like crap. Adu was having a supremely awful game, but I moved him to the AMC position and subbed in Longnecker to the CMC spot. I also told my team to go all out. We mostly likely had only 45 minutes and change left in this tournament. We might as well go out in style. The second half kicked off as I stuck a fresh chaw in my cheek and paced up and down the sideline. On 61, with Adu still in the throes of a bad game I replaced him with Alvarez. I put him upfront and moved Donovan to the AMC spot and sent in word to start pressing. On 62 Camornanesi got open, took a cross from Gustavo Lopez and buried the volley. Having got the one goal they needed, Argentina cruised to victory. In many ways, it was a moral victory, which the media recognized as the gave the MOM award to our Chad McCarty for his brilliant game. We were now out of the Cup. Many of the players in the MLS went home to resume their seasons. I hung around, wanted to see how the tournament turned out in the other Group H game, Yugoslavia buried Japan 4-0 to punch their second round ticket. England sailed through to the second round with a 2-0 win over Guatemala.

The second round started off with a bang as Italy defeated Portugal 2-1 in overtime. Denmark, as expected, beat South Korea 2-1. Argentina easily disposed of Paraguay 3-1. Greece dominated Morocco 3-0. Germany needed extra time to beat Holland 1-0. In the first upset of the round, Colombia shocked Brazil 2-0. England cleaned Yugoslavia’s clock 3-0. The last match of the second round was a heart stopping 3-3 thriller that France won over Spain on a penalty shootout. As I watched a few of these games from my seat in the stadiums I came to a decision. I told myself to sleep on it, to wait until the end of the Cup to decide. In the meantime, I would enjoy the further action in the Cup.

The quarters saw Argentina outlasting Greece 4-3. Italy survived Denmark 2-2 on penalties. England continued a dream run by dumping France 2-0. Colombia stunned the hometown fans when they rudely impeded Germany’s progress 2-1. The semis saw Italy knock off Argentina 2-1. England had to work in their match against Colombia but finally prevailed on penalties with the score standing at 3-3. Argentina mopped up Colombia 4-2 in the Third place game. England’s luck ran out in the Final as they bowed out to Italy 2-0. With the World Cup over, I made my decision.

Two days after arriving back in the United States, I called a press conference. Facing a medley assortment of reporters, I said, “I am retiring as a manager in the professional ranks. I hereby resign from my position as national team manager. I am grateful and honored that I received the chance to manage the US team in the World Cup. I no longer have anything left to prove and therefore, as George Washington so aptly put I am retuning to the ‘shade of m fig trees.’ Thank you.†I walked out of the conference room and never looked back. I was, at long last, leaving the business behind. Soccer may be a business, but I would return to coaching the sport in high school. I would end my career as I had begun it, for love of the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A brilliant two-goal performance by McFadden in a 3-0 rout of Saudi Arabia was not enough to send the Scots through to the second round </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heroic failure as usual icon_rolleyes.gif

Shame to see the US go out in the group stage, Cannon's red card was probably the end of your tournament icon_frown.gif A thoroughly enjoyable tale though, Bryan icon14.gif

Archived