A Samba Influence, Perhaps?

sherm

"Hello and welcome to Sky Sports News. I'm Simon Thomas, and I'm joined by Millie Clode. We're here to bring you the breaking news in the next hour, and our sources say there is a major piece of news coming from the JJB Stadium"

"Yes, we can head over to Ian Payne now to find out what's happening"

"Thanks Millie. Well I'm here outside the JJB Stadium in Wigan, along with several thousand Latics fans, as the takeover of the club by Colombian businessman Julio de Bolgotal. I don't have full details yet, but Dave Whelan will still play an active role in the running of the club, and de Bolgotal has promised to invest at least £50,000,000 into the club"

"Ian, how are the fans taking this news? It's something that a small club like Wigan wouldn't have expected surely?"

"Absolutely. When the story broke two weeks ago, many admitted they were sceptical, but with the deal almost finalised, they are starting to believe that they could see something major at the club. However, first things first will be to find a manager, Paul Jewell having left to look after his cancer stricken wife, but it is unclear at this stage how much of a say the new owner will have in that process"

"What about new signings though Ian? Even with all the money that he will plough into the club, surely the new owner can't attract the type of world class players needed to move forward?"

"That remains to be seen, but no matter what happens, these Wigan fans are enjoying the moment, and many of them feel it could be their clubs time to shine at the top"

--

Mariano Humberto Souza stepped off his British Airways flight at Manchester Airport tentatively. He had never been to England before, and certainly hadn't expected to be flying there any time, until a phone call three days before from a very old friend instructed him to fly to Manchester and make his way to a little place on the outskirts of the city called Wigan

He had been away from the game of football for two years, instead focusing on running his little bookmakers in Bogota, but if he was honest, he couldn't wait to leave Colombia. It had become a country of bloodshed and war, and the opportunity to leave, aged 36, was too good to turn down. Starting his career at 17, he played for his hometown club for 5 years, before earning a move to Rayo Vallecano in Spain. There, he enjoyed a 7 year spell, playing over 250 games for the club, before, on his 30th birthday, he retired to enjoy a spell in coaching, taking over at Mexican club Atlas

It was while playing in Spain that he met Julio de Bolgotal, who was living in Madrid at the time. They got on well and became the best of friends, before de Bolgotal left Spain to live in London. It had always been his dream to own a football club, and with a fortune of £200 million pounds, thanks to oil and fuel distribution, he finally has that dream - and he has brought Souza with him to manage his new found football club. Exciting times lie ahead...

--

Game played on FM07, with English (League One and above), Spanish (Liga BBVA and above) and Italian (Serie B and above) leagues loaded. Added Julio de Bolgotal as Chairman of Wigan and Dave Whelan into the Board of Directors, aswell as adding £25,000,000 into the bank balance - I wanted to try a takeover story, but make it a realistic one. Hope you all enjoy

Mariano pulled into the car park at the JJB Stadium, and though it wasn't in the class of Old Trafford, or the Nou Camp, it was a stadium that had it's own touch of class. However, he hadn't been expecting the actual place to be how it was - he had been picked up from his hotel that morning, by a car that de Bolgotal had arranged, and had needed to return back inside three times to change clothes. He had been shocked by how cold the weather was, steam coming off his breathing, and eventually, he had settled for two t-shirts, a jumper and a coat

Heading through the glass doors, he was met by his old friend, who flashed a toothy grin and embraced Mariano in a giant hug, befitting of his giant stature

"My dear friend, how lovely to see you again"

"Julio, how are you? You're looking well"

"Well, business is booming, my dreams come true, and I'm meeting an old friend again. What could be better? Let's go for a chat"

--

Wigan Today

Colombian influence completed

by Michael McKinnon

The whole of Wigan is celebrating today, thanks the completion of the much anticipated takeover of Colombian Oil baron Julio de Bolgotal. The millionaire, who, aged just 39, has completed what he calls his 'dream purchase', buying a 51% stake in the club, and although Dave Whelan still owns 49%, it is thought that Bolgotal will be in charge of everyday affairs

The new owner has moved quickly to bring in a new manager, the rather unknown name of Mariano Humberto Souza. Wigan fans are a little sceptical, as they would have liked more ambition and a bigger name, but they are prepared to give Souza time. He has been promised £50 million for funding new players, but it remains to be seen if a club without European football, and one which was in Division Three just six years ago, will be able to attract the necessary players

With just three pre-season games remaining and just under a month till the opening game, Souza will have to work quickly to bring in new faces, although names have already been bandied about. He has also pointed out the need to strengthen his coaching staff, and has made several enquiries to clubs about any possible targets...

Archived