Revenge of the Fallen

sherm

"Stella, don't do this"

Bags were already thrown into the back of the car, and she was about to get in the drivers seat

"Stella, there's no need to do this. I'll be back"

She stopped, turned to face him, a sneer lining her face

"Is that what you think? Is that what you think? You're a washed up has-been, who lost his career five years ago. I gave you chance after chance, but that's it. You're a thirty three year old, sad, pathetic man. Goodbye David"

And with that, she got into the car, revved it up and sped off out of his life

--

She hadn't been wrong though, his career had died five years ago. He was at the height of his playing days, 32 caps for Scotland, over 300 appearances for Celtic, when one game, against Hearts, ruined his career. He had been marked out of the game by his national skipper, Stuart McGrogan, a National hero, and he was getting frustrated. Three tackles later, all high studded ones, he turned and growled at his opponent

Then came the moment of madness. He avoided a McGrogan tackle, jumping in the air, and landing with both feet on the defender's knee. A crack, then a scream of pain followed, and deathly silence around the ground. It turned out that McGrogan had suffered a snapped ligament in his knee, a Patella broken in three places, and the end of his career. Scotland mourned, and they also blamed their star striker. David Broomby was placed in exile. Celtic let him rot with the reserves, eventually releasing him 12 months later, and he never played for his country again. This led to him going on drink binges, blowing money and gambling, and eventually, his girlfriend of 9 years, Stella, left him

That was five years ago, and after 18 months of soul searching, he met a man in a bar. He offered to help him, get him off the drink, and get his life back on track. It turned out this man was Gordon Young, a member of the Scottish F.A and former chairman of Lincoln City. He helped David to get his UEFA 'Pro' Coaching badge, allowing him to get back into the game, and he used his contacts in England, and at Sincil Bank. and now, in June 2003, he was sat in the managers office, preparing for his new job as manager of Lincoln City

---

Authors Notes ; This is a story I've been working on for a while, but I couldn't think of a title - Then I saw the new Transformers film, and the title was born

Game is played on CM 03/04, with English Leagues and Scottish/Spanish Premier Divisions loaded. Hope you enjoy the tale

Archived