How can I adjust these away tactics so that I actually start winning games away

I've tried Dayle Wood's advice in the unofficial tactics bible and it worked for five games albeit one against a very poor side in Europe.

I beat Artmedia home, Boro home, Newcastle away and then I played Man Utd and got beat 1-0 although I did play ok and had chances except for a poor performance from Gerrard. Then I played Werder Bremen away and got an okay but disappointing 1-1 draw. Then I played Bolton away and got beat 1-0. All my five attacking players had average ratings.

however, then I played Celtic and Villa at home and although I only won both by 1-0 I still got 6 out of 6 pts.

I think I'm sorted at home - 4 wins out of 4 with Dayle Wood's advice. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next in order to try and get my team winning consistently on the road?

My away team tactics are:-

Mentality 10

Creative Freedom 10

Passing Style 11

Tempo 11

Width 11

Closing Down 10

Time Wasting 10

Defensive Line 7

Tackling Normal

Focus Passing Down Both Flanks

Marking Zonal

Of the other options the only one that is on is counter attack

My goalkeeper has a mentality of 6, direct passing and mixed distribution.

My full backs have a mentality of 8, same passing as team instruction, closing down 14, rare forward runs, cross ball often and from deep.

My central defenders have a mentality of 7, direct passing, closing down 3 and man marking.

My DMC has a mentality of 9, same passing as the rest of the team, closing down 14, hard tackling, rare forward runs and zonal marking.

My MR/ML have a mentality of 11, mixed passing, closing down 14, cross ball mixed and zonal marking.

My AMC has a mentality of 10, mixed passing, closing down 5, zonal marking.

My two strikers have a mentality of 13, short passing, closing down 12 and crossing mixed from the byline.

What I don't understand is in away games how come apart from Newcastle where it worked well it doesn't work well in the next game. Can you give me any suggestions as to what to tweak in order to get it working in each game so that I can win more consistently?

In home games my tactics are set up like this:-

Team

Mentality 10

Creative Freedom 10

Passing Style, Tempo and Width 7

Closing Down 9

Time Wasting 5

Defensive Line 12

Tackling Normal

Focus Passing Mixed

Marking Zonal

The only other option at the bottom selected is play offside.

Of the individual orders at home:-

My goalkeeper has a mentality of 15, direct passing, distribution long kick, distribute to my LM Albert Riera.

My full backs have a mentality of 12, same passing as global tactic, closing down 14, forward runs often, cross from mixed.

My centre backs have a mentality of 11 apart from Agger who has a mentality of 9, direct passing, closing down 3 and zonal marking and tight marking.

My DMC has a mentality of 13, same passing as the team, closing down 14, hard tackling, zonal marking.

My MR/ML have a mentality of 15, mixed passing, closing down 14, crossing from the byline, zonal marking.

My AMC has a mentality of 14, mixed passing, closing down 5, hard tackling and zonal marking.

My ST have a mentality of 17, short passing, closing down 12, cross from byline.

At home in the 4 games I did well I felt although I only beat Boro by 1 goal. So far it seems to be away where I am having most problems although that could also be home if my results don't pick up. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get Gerrard and Torres firing on all cylinders because at the moment my defending is okay although I do have the odd problem in the games I've played away but I just can't seem to get Torres and Gerrard and Kuyt and Riera playing the smooth attacking football I want in away games. any advice as to what I am doing wrong and how to correct it would be most appreciated. For example, I'm not losing by much away so should I increase width, tempo and passing from 11 and should I drop my defensive line deeper to stop any goals going in.

By the way from my lack of replies in Dayle Wood's thread I take it he isn't in here any more. But his tactics certainly work at home although I could do with winning by more than just one goal although I do dominate possession reasonably.

Also does anyone have a bludgeon and shut up shop tactic that I can download like Dayle has advised.

BTW, sorry it's a slightly long post...your advice please.

I would agree with michelco on the mentality setting. I would push it up a bit to 13/14 and tick counter attacking. With the tempo being so low you are going to have a patient build up though rather than a quick belt up the park on counter. Your width is narrow which is good from a defensive viewpoint away but isnt going to stretch their defence much. Read the TT&F, particularly on setting up strikers as FCa and FCd - that would help also. I am testing my own tactic at the mo and its based on the principles in the TT&F and also the stuff posted by SFraser. Hope this helps

Perhaps the mentality in away games is too low for a team of Liverpools stature.
I would agree with michelco on the mentality setting. I would push it up a bit to 13/14 and tick counter attacking. With the tempo being so low you are going to have a patient build up though rather than a quick belt up the park on counter. Your width is narrow which is good from a defensive viewpoint away but isnt going to stretch their defence much. Read the TT&F, particularly on setting up strikers as FCa and FCd - that would help also. I am testing my own tactic at the mo and its based on the principles in the TT&F and also the stuff posted by SFraser. Hope this helps

Do you guys mean the team mentality or the mentality of the individual players?

Potemkin125 I will try increasing the tempo, passing and width slightly. but hopefully there won't be a number of goals against. :(

After all I did beat Newcastle away 2-1 but I just don't want to see too many goals against. I will let you know how I do. Thanks for your help so far.

Archived