• European play-off 23/24

emilevrp
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

From season 23/24 the european places play-off final between the 1st of the european group and the 4th (or 5th) of the championship group is missing.
    ( source: https://www.proleague.be/nl/pl/news/pro-league-legt-stevige-fundamenten-voor-het-belgisch-profvoetbal)

image.png.61554445050ac61cfaaedb767d0ef915.pngimage.png.99dcc3eadac76735ddfa504b59fd488b.pngimage.png.fda9c6e5fca6c6c584cba44af9694de6.pngimage.png.9c886abf9af923d36198c3801d44b1f5.png

So in this example, Anderlecht has won the cup. This means that KRC Genk or Standard should have the 5th european ticket. (5th championship group and 1st european group) To determine who gets it, there should be a 'final' for that last european place. At the moment there isn't one and Standard gets the last ticket.

Say Union has won the cup, then AA Gent and Standard should play the 'final'. (4th championship group and 1st european group)

extra note: when Belgium rises in the coefficients list, the places for the final should also change:

- 6 european places: 5th or 6th in championship group play the 'final'

- 7 european places: 6th plays the 'final' or no final because the 1st of the european group has a ticket already

image.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

some were already raised internally, and under review.

A whole new set up, spread over several years, without much clarity from the Belgian football ass.

1 hour ago, Moondog777 said:

A whole new set up, spread over several years, without much clarity from the Belgian football ass.

Yes indeed, for the season 23/24 there is little to no information from the Belgian football association on Pro League A. ( Probably because they don't want to set things in stone yet and tweak some minor stuff)

But from the official site of the Pro League: https://www.proleague.be/nl/pl/news/pro-league-legt-stevige-fundamenten-voor-het-belgisch-profvoetbal comes the statement:

"De Kampioenen Play-off zal afgewerkt worden met de 6 hoogst gerangschikte teams, die strijden om de titel. De Europa Play-off wordt door de nummers 7 tot 12 gespeeld, waarbij de winnaar van deze play-off het opneemt tegen de 4de uit de Kampioenen Play-off voor het laatste Europees ticket."

Which means: 

"The Champions Play-off will be completed with the 6 highest ranked teams competing for the title. The Europe Play-off will be played by the numbers 7 to 12, with the winner of this play-off taking on the 4th out the Champions Play-off for the last European ticket."

So at this moment they have agreed the play a 'final' between the 1st of the Europe Play-Off and 4th of the Champions Play-Off but haven't put it in the rules yet.

On 20/01/2023 at 17:34, xenomorphing said:

lIt's been 3 months. Fixed or not?

Let us hope! Fingers crossed!

Indeed, there's a final match between the last one in play-off 1 and the first one of play-off 2. The winner gets the last ticket for Europe (UEFA Conference League).

For the season 2023-2024 there will be another adjustment (see picture). Again 2 play-offs (Champions and Europe play-off with both 6 teams) and a relegation play-off with 4 teams.

coVUwNTXiDqe1OCCUdB6rwScU7Xr03EVBKHli7K4.png.f9c47b7e80feaebff90d4d3745ae00fc.png

I'm honestly not sure why this was overlooked because its always been like this. 4th or 5th always played for playoff against the second playoff group.  Otherwise why would that playoff exist to begin with with nothing to play for? Hope this gets fixed because this is the only issue right now stopping me from starting a save.

Edited by xenomorphing

On 06/04/2023 at 11:18, xenomorphing said:

This is fixed. Why is it to hard to actually say it is? Don't you have internal patch notes?

This is not fixed from what I can tell when I started a new game with the newest patch. No playoff game between 1st team in European Playoff and 5th team in the Championship group is taking place. The team in the European playoff league gets the spot automatically. 

17 hours ago, vbark14 said:

This is not fixed from what I can tell when I started a new game with the newest patch. No playoff game between 1st team in European Playoff and 5th team in the Championship group is taking place. The team in the European playoff league gets the spot automatically. 

5th team is only the case in the 23/24 season. 

in the 22/23 season, the final ticket should be played between n°4 of the Champion's Play Off & the winner of the Europe Play Off.

EXCEPT : if one of the 4 teams of the Champion's Play off wins the Belgian Cup, then the final for the ticket in the Conference League won't be played, and the team who wins the Europe Play Off automaticly wins the ticket.  So please check if this isn't the case in your game.

2 hours ago, Moondog777 said:

5th team is only the case in the 23/24 season. 

in the 22/23 season, the final ticket should be played between n°4 of the Champion's Play Off & the winner of the Europe Play Off.

EXCEPT : if one of the 4 teams of the Champion's Play off wins the Belgian Cup, then the final for the ticket in the Conference League won't be played, and the team who wins the Europe Play Off automaticly wins the ticket.  So please check if this isn't the case in your game.

Yeah, I started a new save and went on holiday until after that season and no final game took place. The spot went to top team of European Playoff league and team 5 in Championship group went without a UECL spot.

26 minutes ago, Moondog777 said:

Are we talking about 22/23 season or the 23/24 season?

Are you running aditional add-ons?

23/24. First season is just fine its after they change the format the problems happen. No add-ons other than competition color fix.

Genk won the cup and no game was played between European Playoff and Championship group teams.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 124221.png

Screenshot 2023-04-29 124330.png

Edited by vbark14

He's right, no playoff game is played between 5th and winner of the european playoffs. I just checked in my current save.

I want to add another issue: I won the cup in the 2024-2025 season as a second division team. No playoff game was played either which rendered the european playoff useless. The winner of the playoff got nothing, not even a playoff game.

Spoiler

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by xenomorphing

Reported it in another thread:

From what I've seen, this is truely the last issue with this competition, so it would be good if it could be fixed in this edition still, and give a bugfree experience for everyone.

Moondog777

Posted (edited)

On 29/04/2023 at 19:30, vbark14 said:

23/24. First season is just fine its after they change the format the problems happen. No add-ons other than competition color fix.

Genk won the cup and no game was played between European Playoff and Championship group teams.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 124221.png

Screenshot 2023-04-29 124330.png

Im' trying to find the confirmation concerning the fact that play'offs are to be held, but so far I did only find that the fifth ticket for Belgium is accorded to the winner of the Europe Play Off.

If there should be a play off played, it would be the N° 4 to play the match I think. Belgium only has 5 tickets, and one of those tickets is for the Cup Winner.  

If you could point me to the confirmation that a play off is needed it would help out, but so far it points at no play off.

To be clear : I'm not working on league structure, only data.

Edited by Moondog777

19 minutes ago, Moondog777 said:

Im' trying to find the confirmation concerning the fact that play'offs are to be held, but so far I did only find that the fifth ticket for Belgium is accorded to the winner of the Europe Play Off.

If there should be a play off played, it would be the N° 4 to play the match I think. Belgium only has 5 tickets, and one of those tickets is for the Cup Winner.  

If you could point me to the confirmation that a play off is needed it would help out, but so far it points at no play off.

To be clear : I'm not working on league structure, only data.

What I could find is this article stating that there will be a playoff game in the 23/24 season. 

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/belgian-football-clubs-pathway-to-europe-in-20232024-and-beyond-36799435

"

Finally, the Europa Conference League second qualifying round spot will continue to go to the winner of the European play-in match. There are no changes to this. Here, the only way the European play-in

match does not occur is if the winner of the European playoff also wins the Croky Cup. In that case, the Conference League spot would go to the best team in the championship playoff not to qualify for Europe."

1 hour ago, vbark14 said:

What I could find is this article stating that there will be a playoff game in the 23/24 season. 

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/belgian-football-clubs-pathway-to-europe-in-20232024-and-beyond-36799435

"

Finally, the Europa Conference League second qualifying round spot will continue to go to the winner of the European play-in match. There are no changes to this. Here, the only way the European play-in

match does not occur is if the winner of the European playoff also wins the Croky Cup. In that case, the Conference League spot would go to the best team in the championship playoff not to qualify for Europe."

doesn't make sense as the y also mention "The latter is the playoff involving the teams finishing fifth through eighth in the Jupiler Pro League regular season.".  23/24 is starting a champions group of 6, and a europe play off with places 7-12. No Belgian sources yet where I can find confirmation.

The original source reported in OCTOBER seems pretty clear to me... https://www.proleague.be/nl/pl/news/pro-league-legt-stevige-fundamenten-voor-het-belgisch-profvoetbal

"De Kampioenen Play-off zal afgewerkt worden met de 6 hoogst gerangschikte teams, die strijden om de titel. De Europa Play-off wordt door de nummers 7 tot 12 gespeeld, waarbij de winnaar van deze play-off het opneemt tegen de 4de uit de Kampioenen Play-off voor het laatste Europees ticket."

"The Champions Play-off will be completed with the 6 highest ranked teams competing for the title. The Europe Play-off is played by the numbers 7 to 12, with the winner of this play-off competing against the 4th from the Champions Play-off for the last European ticket."

The last ticket, indicating a conference league ticket.

Seems like if someone wins the cup (europa league ticket) and finishes top 4, the 5th place plays the play-off instead, because the last ticket is pushed down. This is how its been for a while now, only changed by a temporary change because of covid... I'm dissapointed this has never been looked at, despite being reported during the beta...

edit: found a complete pdf explaining the changes, also reported inside the link of the original thread.. : https://www.proleague.be/dato/25478/1669993673-football-first-nl.pdf

Edited by xenomorphing

No, the idea that the 5th takes the place is incorrect.

In your example, Anderlecht has the EC ticket of the cup,  where Standard automaticly gets the EC2 ticket that would have been played between Anderlecht and Standard. (but didn't take place as Anderlecht took the EC by winning the cup.

image.png.d632d14fb1437fafed58e78cc1f25970.png

10 hours ago, Moondog777 said:

No, the idea that the 5th takes the place is incorrect.

In your example, Anderlecht has the EC ticket of the cup,  where Standard automaticly gets the EC2 ticket that would have been played between Anderlecht and Standard. (but didn't take place as Anderlecht took the EC by winning the cup.

image.png.d632d14fb1437fafed58e78cc1f25970.png

The article you posted is literally about this season only. The original article op posted and i repeated is literally a detailed plan laid out by the officials from the Belgian league. A playoff game has always been played since the introduction of playoffs, because it makes no sense to reward 7th more than 5th or 4th place...

The second playoff has always had the concept of a chance at winning a european ticket, not a guaranteed one. This only changed last few seasons because of covid reduced the first group to 4 teams. Can you just look at the source and take the word of someone who actually watches this league for over a decade now?

Edited by xenomorphing

In your guide there's no mentioning of the fifth team place, or what should happen if the cup winner ends as one of the 4 top teams.

The Current rule, the winner of the EG getting the ticket,remains the rule untill it is confirmed that it will change in the old way.

Keep in mind that the intell we get about the league structure comes directly from the Pro League, as it is a licensed product since this season.

We'll keep an eye on it,  should it change for the 2024 version.

I am not going to continue this discussion, as you keep saying the same, and often you conclude by bashing.

Yes i conclude to bashing because once again i mentioned 2 issues and you only adress half of one. the playoff would LITERALLY SERVE NO PURPOSE if the winner of it gets no barrage matches or ticket when someone in another division wins the cup. The league changes are literally done to reduce useless matches, that's one of their main arguments. This feature is literally missing in the game, and is not a question of "pro league being unclear" but of you guys not properly researching.

The new structure, for the 5th time, is literally an altered return of something that existed for a long time. There is NO chance the winner of the european playoff will always get the ticket straight. You still haven't read the pdf file i sent you? Like cmon lol. You're just being in denial right now.

Are you suprised about being bashed? This issue was reported in the beta, and not fixed. This league has been a mess in multiple editions while you guys charge 60 euros a year for. If you guys did your job, instead of acting smug and ignorant like you have done this discussion, then no one on this forum would be "bashing".

Not gonna argue further cause this is pointless.

Edited by xenomorphing

could you point where it is exactly mentioned?

It is not a return, but a new set up (as for instance you can have 3 relegations)