• Manchester United - monthly debt repayments almost 4x higher than in FM22 - not sure if a bug or unfortunately accurate?

Marc Lister
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

I've noticed that from July 2022 onwards Manchester United have to make a total of £11m repayments towards the club's debt each month. In FM22 it was £2.8m a month. Has the debt situation really changed IRL that the new monthly payments are now almost 4x what it was? The issue I'm not sure about is not the total debt to be repaid but the timeframe in which the debt has to be paid back. If that really is how things are then fine but I'm just staggered that the total repayments have shot up from almost £3m a month to £11m. It seems the debts have to be paid off now between 12 and 14 years sooner than before. Is this a reflection of the situation the club/Glazers find themselves in with the interest rates/inflation affecting the world economies right now?

The £353m bank loan is to be paid off at £6.75m a month until 25/6/2027. I think the FM22 equivalent was £1.8m a month until 26/6/2041.

The £183m bank loan is to be paid off at £2.3m a month until 6/8/2029. I think the FM22 equivalent was £775k a month until 26/6/2041.

The £75m bank loan is to be paid off at £1.4m a month until 4/4/2027. I think the FM22 equivalent was £215k a month until 26/6/2041.

The £25m bank loan is to be paid off at £700k a month until 4/7/2025.

image.thumb.png.be7bf712458e7f86b47a707de5d5c528.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Information and situations change. The end date of repayments has been brought forward and that would in turn increase the monthly payments. Comparing it to FM22 wouldn't be an argument to change this back given that things could be different now compared to what we/the researcher knew at the time. If you have anything showing this is incorrect then that would be appreciated.

Thanks for letting me know. I just wanted to check as the difference in payment amounts each month was a shocking change from FM22 to FM23. I'm not aware of any sources to show the figures/dates are incorrect.

The most recent annual accounts are available for Manchester United and they aren't paying 132 million per season towards debt and they certainly won't be debt free in 2027/29. I believe this was changed as people moaned about Manchester United having powerful finances. It is widely available online that the club pays around 20/25 million pounds a season towards the debt.