• Sunderland AFC Squad Ability

Mst82
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

I feel the Sunderland squad has been somewhat "underegged" in FM23 - which is sort of fair enough following promotion from league 1. However, the evidence of Sunderland's season so far suggests there is now room for improvement with the squad.

In particular:

Ross Stewart needs to be faster and stronger with improved mentals, and an improvement all round really - I would also say he is more of an Advanced Forward than a target man. The stats don't lie and Ross has scored 10 goals in 13 games this season, with 3 assists. He scored 26 in 49 last season, with some big goals in big games - he's a big game player under who is at his best under pressure. He has been linked with some big money moves away from SAFC, with Burnley reported to be ready to pay £15m+ for his services. He's up there with Brereton-Diaz as one of the best players in the league. He also takes penalties very well.

Anthony Patterson the goalkeeper - a top young prospect who has excelled since being given the number 1 jersey at Sunderland. Although shaky with corners/ set pieces, he is excellent in every other department with neutral football reporters commenting on his calmness and ability to be positioned perfectly when facing opposition attacks. His current FM stats don't do him justice at all. Again, he's surely up there with the best GK's in the division.

Dan Neil, the playmaker/ box to box midfielder is the heartbeat of Sunderland, driving them forward but also being there to break up a lot of attacks - providing the perfect platform for Amad and Roberts to excel.

Amad himself has been playing as a 10 with complete competence, winning numerous awards for player of the month etc.

Watch the Sunderland v Boro and Fulham v Sunderland games to understand how fluid the side are, and how the aforementioned players deserve an overall boost.

Luke O'Nien is now 100% a centre back too and his physical stats needs adjusting. The lads jumping reach for someone his height is top notch.

Finally, Trai Hume is Sunderland's regular right back who loves a tackle and whipping in crosses. His main abilities are his work rate and timeliness in the tackle. He's an old fashioned full back in the Phil Bardsley mold.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Also, the 15 year old prodigy Chris Rigg needs adding in. He had a goal ruled out on Saturday v Fulham and is being courted by top Premier League clubs apparently. Happy to try and come up with something if you need me to, in terms of ability.

Edited by Mst82

On 02/02/2023 at 11:22, Mst82 said:

Also, the 15 year old prodigy Chris Rigg needs adding in. He had a goal ruled out on Saturday v Fulham and is being courted by top Premier League clubs apparently. Happy to try and come up with something if you need me to, in terms of ability.

I'm sure he'll be added, once he's old enough to qualify.

• SI Staff

We are not allowed to include Rigg in the FM23 update as he is still a minor. We'll have to wait until he is in the first year after leaving secondary education to include him in any future products.

6 hours ago, Dean Gripton said:

We are not allowed to include Rigg in the FM23 update as he is still a minor. We'll have to wait until he is in the first year after leaving secondary education to include him in any future products.

Yeah I realised after posting. Look forward to seeing him on future releases.