• Player who is supposed to retire not retiring

b28937
    • Public Status: Need More Info Files Uploaded: None

I'm managing Gremio and have Lucas Leiva, who in real life retired last month (March 2023) due to a heart condition.  He's in the last year of his contract and is a team leader and highest paid player, yet he turns 37 in a couple of months an has 5 speed/pace and I can't afford to pay him $1.5 million per year.

I noticed earlier in the season that in the "Discuss" choices, one of the options is to ask him to reconsider retirement.   Obviously I don't want to talk him out of it, so naturally I assumed he'd retire when his contract expires.  Then I started noticing there was no icon saying he's retiring like you always see when players are set to retire.  Now it's a week before his contract ends an apparently due to the bug in the game, he's not going to retire.  He's team leader and captain and fan favorite, so when I don't resign him everyone will go crazy angry at me.  I searched the forums and saw how the in game editor has a check box that if checked says he will retire at end of spell at club, so I clicked that hoping he would retire.  But this bug apparently has been in the game for years but never fixed (forgive me if I'm mistaken).

Not sure what to say, but it's very annoying and I wish SI would fix known bugs like this.

Leiva reconsider retirment.JPG

Leiva discuss retirement.JPG

Leiva retire IGE.JPG

Leiva retire news warning.JPG

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Solution ended up being I terminated his contract using the in-game editor a few days before it expired, then made him an offer to be the u20s manager which he accepted, with neither the fans nor players getting upset.  I had been sending him on coaching courses while he was playing as this was my hope all along, so everything worked out fine.  You can close this, thanks.Leivanonplayingrole.JPG.0b400494f025c4f838b305cd39eddf9f.JPG

Leivahiredasu20manager.thumb.JPG.89f8c3e966bf88a7c655066a505ca3a6.JPG

• SI Staff

Hello, if possible do you have a save from the point where they can discuss the retirement, but the game doesn't say he is retiring?