• "Too many staff"

theinfamousmielie
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

This is a problem over many years now. Some people might not consider this a bug, but I do, and here's why - it doesn't make sense. It never has. So I'm posting this again in the hopes that it can be reviewed and a better solution found.

Different clubs start with different numbers of staff already employed. This mirrors real life as close as possible, and so when Liverpool have 20 scouts in the game, that's because they've hired 20 scouts in real life - there might be more, but the point is, the data saved against this real-life club is that when you start the game there are X number of scouts. Or coaches. Or Physios. Whatever.

So why is it that with every FM release, whenever I pick a team and play, the real staff numbers are always too much for the board. For example, my Dorking Wanderers save - I start with 5 coaches (including Ass. Manager, GK Coach and Fitness coaches) but the board - who are the ones that would have hired this number of coaches in the first place - now suddenly has decided that the club should only have 2 coaches in total, and so now because there are 5 coaches, if I want to replace one of the coaches with a better one, I can't - I'd have to fire 3 coaches and only then can I replace the one I wanted to replace.

This is so so stupid. I understand the board wanting to minimise the number of staff appointments for a club that is insecure (or worse) financially - but when one starts the game with the majority of clubs then the board should be content with the staff numbers. After all, why did they hire or retain them if they were unhappy with the number? And where is this number that they would be happy with coming from?

Surely, at the start of the game, the board should be content with the staff numbers, whatever they are. An exception can be made here for clubs that are already in administration, or are in trouble financially. This would mirror real life a bit more as the desire to cut down on staff and creating redundancies.

Perhaps then, as the season progresses, the board can then assess the benefits of the numbers of staff you have in the role. Don't necessarily lower the limit, but perhaps adjust the expectations for manager performance accordingly so that if you're going to want to keep that larger-than-desired backroom staff, you'd better have the success to back it up. 

I don't know ... maybe that's not the best solution to this - I'm not sure. But it freakin' sucks to not be able to modify your staff incrementally - having to gut your entire coaching setup just to improve one guy... it seems wrong and poorly handled.

Could someone from SI please explain the thinking behind the way it works currently and convince me that it's not utterly rubbish? :D

• Steps To Reproduce:
      Start a game with Liverpool or Dorking Wanderers, and look at the staff members hired versus what the board thinks the actual number should be. Then reconcile that with the actual number of staff hired in real life.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Administrators

Completely get where you're coming from, but this is something that would need a Feature Request to change rather than a typical bug fix, as it will require a complete over hall under the hood. 

If you wouldn't mind, could I ask you to please raise this as a FR in our forums linked below? I'll get a member of the team to review it and get it in our features database. (Please feel free to copy and paste the brunt of the post, adapt as you see fit, I just can't move it I'm afraid!). :) 

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

7 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

Completely get where you're coming from, but this is something that would need a Feature Request to change rather than a typical bug fix, as it will require a complete over hall under the hood. 

If you wouldn't mind, could I ask you to please raise this as a FR in our forums linked below? I'll get a member of the team to review it and get it in our features database. (Please feel free to copy and paste the brunt of the post, adapt as you see fit, I just can't move it I'm afraid!). :) 

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

Done Kyle, thank you!! :cool: