• Lack of Central Play

SebastianRO
    • Public Status: Known Issue Files Uploaded: None

I have conducted an experiment, as has another user on this forum as I felt there is a massive lack of central play and both of us came to the same results / stats which in my opinion proves the fact that there is very little penetration through the middle. Here I will "paste" my post from the feedback thread. It isn't a short post, but please bear with me and look at all of the screenshots. Much appreciated.

You can see the tactic I am using, I have won Serie A (which is not all the hard to do with Juventus), had the best attack and defence in Serie A, etc. Then you can see a screenshot regarding my team report saying that we have a problem penetrating the central areas, but we are doing great on the left flank. It is very easy to understand why we do well on the left flank, since I have an attacking full-back over there.But why are we doing so poorly in central midfield ? Only 81 out of 359 entries into the final third were made through the centre. For clarity, that is barely 22% central penetration in FM22. With the same system (more or less) I get 58% central penetration in FM21. I have attached the screenshots below, including the one taken from FM21 with Gladbach for comparison.

Cuf518b.jpg

3AU8iNo.jpg

pmsGIbR.jpg

nykO8BX.jpg

The cherry on top is the actual stats, as in the through balls according to the stats. And by the way, below you have the reason for why I don't bother with stats much and rather use my eyes and attention to analyze my own tactics for the most part. In FM22 as you see in the screenshot below, aparently the majority of my goals are coming from through balls (even though that is not what I am witnessing on the pitch), but then the feedback says that we are struggling to penetrate central areas .... hmmm Would those so called "through balls" be actual crosses ? my guess is yes. I believe that a lot of crosses are being recorded as through balls. If I actually had as many through balls as the game says I do, I wouldnt bother writing this post. Also, in FM21 stats do confirm what my eyes are seeing, but that's not the case in FM22. Have a look below.

P.S This is also the reason for why I had so many ... let's call them heated conversation when FM19 and FM20 came out. I was explaining this exact same thing and then some people whould just send me to the stats screen and point to the through balls numbers. It all depends on our definition of a through ball and the game's definition of one. But one thing's for sure: the screenshots above actually highlight the problem in no uncertain terms: I have aproblem penetrating through the middle, even my analyst is saying that :)

52urbn4.jpg

I hope this is helpful to anyone running into this "issue" as well as any dev who reads these posts. This is something really really hard (impossible) to report as a bug because I personally don't even know what's causing this and what' even the name of the issue. I hope they do read these threads, even though I appreciate how time consuming it must be.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I've noticed the same issues. Yours is the best example I've seen, SI have truly taken 2 steps back with this and went back to fm20, i can't stomach another game purely comprised of a crossing highlight reel.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.PNG.1ceea763dc8f5948fabdb98ca3e58953.PNG

The stats in my save back this up too. Also, not only are crosses far and away the main source of assists, I now understand where the game found 8 through ball assists thanks to this post.

Let's hope they fix this until full release at least.

Edited by DB Wit

• SI Staff

Hey guys, we're going to need PKM examples from games in particular where you feel this has happened. @DB Wit if you feel this is also happening for you, I would ask you create a separate thread so we can collect as many examples and investigate them separately. Here is a guide on how you can upload files: 

1 hour ago, Michael Sant said:

Hey guys, we're going to need PKM examples from games in particular where you feel this has happened. @DB Wit if you feel this is also happening for you, I would ask you create a separate thread so we can collect as many examples and investigate them separately. Here is a guide on how you can upload files: 

Understood, more than happy to help! What are PKMs? Are they saved matches, and if so how many would you like?
    So I should create a new topic similar to this one explaining the issue and upload these PKM files in there?
    Also, you probably won't know, but if you don't mind me asking, is there a chance of this being fixed by the time the game fully releases? I know ME stuff can be iffy so if it's not being worked already I doubt it'll be ready by the 9th but I'd just figure I'd ask. Thanks for your work.

Edited by DB Wit

• SI Staff

Hey again @DB Wit the pkm's are saved matches and highlights. So yes if you create a new thread and upload any instances where you find it happening we can investigate. Multiple examples help because of all the factors involved with influencing how a team will play in a game. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Sant said:

Hey again @DB Wit the pkm's are saved matches and highlights. So yes if you create a new thread and upload any instances where you find it happening we can investigate. Multiple examples help because of all the factors involved with influencing how a team will play in a game. 

Understood, I'll get on that right away. Going back now would be hard so I'll play a few games and take the pkms. Would 3-4 be good?

3 hours ago, Michael Sant said:

That'll be helpful and give our team something to investigate. 

It's done, hope it helps. Have a nice week.

I would like to provide you with pkms from 2 different savegames. In both of these games I used the same formation, just with a slightly different approach.

Juventus vs Parma:

drAlWLt.jpg

Inter vs Cagliari:

ToXHetR.jpg

If you need anymore pkms or want me to try something really specific, please let me know as 95% of the matches I've played are like these 2. I've had far far worse matches than these 2, I've given these as an example because they are the average of what I am seeing. From my personal analysis it seems that as soon as the ball gets to a player close to the final third, his choice of pass is "wide by dafault". He will try a through ball or a pass down the centre, but only if there isn't a viable option wide. As soon as that option presents itself in a form of a fullback, mezalla or BBM ... he will 80% of the time pass it wide. 

People are also complaining about crosses. I completly understand and agree with this as i just had a game in which 5 out of the total of 7 goals were a result of crosses - header - goal. That said, I strongly believe that the high number of crosses is a direct result of a lack of central play. I mean, what else is there ?! You either exploit the centre by trying through balls or you cross from the byline / wide.

Again, if you want me to replicate any scenarios or whatever just let me know.

Inter v Cagliari.pkm Zebre v Parma.pkm

I have no idea if this is actually an issue or not but I would just like to say that the way you've set up isn't conducive to central play at all. If you want to make space to thread through balls through the middle of the defense then you need to spread that defense out first. Where are they supposed to play the ball if all 22 players are clogging up the middle of the pitch? You should be spreading your players wide then asking them to play through the middle.

Again not sayin the issue does or doesn't exist, but you may want to try playing wider. With this tactic the only space is going to be out wide.

1 hour ago, RocheBag said:

I have no idea if this is actually an issue or not but I would just like to say that the way you've set up isn't conducive to central play at all. If you want to make space to thread through balls through the middle of the defense then you need to spread that defense out first. Where are they supposed to play the ball if all 22 players are clogging up the middle of the pitch? You should be spreading your players wide then asking them to play through the middle.

Again not sayin the issue does or doesn't exist, but you may want to try playing wider. With this tactic the only space is going to be out wide.

I played with a 4-3-3 formation emulating Total football who's entire point is, just as you've said, to stretch play, creating space inside and I found the exact same issue. The difference between fm21 and fm22 was made apparent when looked at final third entries confirming that the suspicions raised by the highlights focusing so much on crosses wasn't just a tactics thing but a ME problem. I have also tried with some other tactics following the same principles of stretching the opposition (it wouldn't be the first time a system looses effectiveness in a new iteration) to try and find central play but it all came back with the same stats, only 1(or less) in 6/7 entries came from the middle. For some reason the players almost always resort to playing a ball to the wings and the wide players (IF and AP/Treq a bit less) constantly choose to run to the corner flag.

I will agree that he should have the team width set to wide. If it hadn't happen to me, I'd also consider it being a tactics decision but that unfortunately isn't the case and SI were apparently already aware of it, let's hope it's fixed by the release date.