• Centre-Backs not going forward for throw-ins

jayedson
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Hi,

This was an issue for me in FM21 too. I have my three centre backs set to go forward on both sides for attacking long throws. Attack near post, mark keeper and attack far post instructions as per the screenshot.

Everybody else follows their instructions but the three centre-backs always stay back meaning I only have my two strikers in the box.

Throw-ins can even be near the corner flag, so definitely far up enough the pitch to be an attacking throw-in.

Happens virtually every time from what I can remember but at 1:08 of the attached pkm/rec file as an example.

image.thumb.png.8a98fabf26462667f8a07928494a0e2a.png

Barnsley v QPR.pkm match_recording_long_throw.rec

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is still the case with version 22.2.0+1629206 (m.e v22.3.0.0).

To further elaborate, as far as I can tell, the throw in set piece instructions are as non-functional as they were in FM21.

It appears as most instructions that are not "Stay Back" or "Go Forward" are ignored, and then player uses the default "none" instruction, which for defenders mean that they stay back, and for most attacking players, they seem to congregate in front of the near post. If you put players, even central defenders on the "Go Forward" instruction, they will still go forward.

Here is an example, using Millwall FC, with Ryan Leonard who has 15 in long throws with the "Possesses Long Flat Throw" player trait.

The setup looks like this. I've spread out the players to occupy every type of instruction, to evaluate which are followed.1034268220_LongThrowLeft.png.5f82f4611313e455d5fd04a3d33126dc.png

Here is the resulting positions just before Ryan Leonard throws the ball in a match.

387264944_Left1.png.b932cfb2bb9da5ea2e23a085e0c82492.png

Two more samples of throw-ins from the left in the same game with the same players; Left 2.png, Left 3.png

I've written the instruction on top of each player to give an idea of what the instruction was and how it was executed.
    As we can see right away, the Lurk Far Post instruction is ignored, and the DCL player that was given this instruction is actually staying back, but not centrally as the "Stay Back" player, which I'm guessing is because it's executing a "nothing" instruction.  It's possible there is something causing players to swap instructions, since the Go Forward player is almost Marking the keeper, and the Mark Keeper player is almost attacking near post or go forward instruction? Another clear example is the "Far Post" player that is nowhere near the far post and no other player is either.

I've attached the set piece that was used, as well as the pkm for the game where the examples was captured

Throw In Debug - Left.fmf Throw In Debug 1.pkm

Edited by BullDozzer

Here is some more examples to show that "Go Forward" is always followed, "Mark Keeper" is one of the ignored instructions, and "Stay Back If Needed" never actually stays back.

When playing against Second XI, controlling both teams, I made sure that the Second XI defended Long Throw in with 3 players staying forward, and then set only a single player Staying Back, as well as two players on "Stay Back If Needed". I also put a single player on marking the keeper.

Setup.png.8bbe3f1c139f6d5576d88186e2854fbc.png

And here is the result
    50413250_Left1.png.5796d4bd430d2c3f608f3d244cd790ed.png365355099_Left2.png.05c9591fa963c9f337d0ac3b0cb2b29e.png

As you can see,  there are three players looking for the counter, this is a scenario where we would expect players who "stay back if needed", to stay back. From what I've found, "Stay Back if Needed", acts as "Go Forward", but always closest to the thrower. So it can actually be reliably used to put a heading-strong player near the thrower. We can also see that the "Mark Keeper", just like in our previous example, stands somewhere in front of the near post, like other instructions seem to do.

I've attached the defensive set piece instruction, as well as the PKM of the game where these instructions were used.

Throw In Debug 2 - Left.fmf Defend Throw In 3 Forward.fmf Throw In Debug 2.pkm

• Administrators

Appreciate the info - the issue is something our team is aware of and reviewing, but given the nature of software development and the resource available to us, not every issue raised can be prioritised to the highest level and addressed. 

As said it is something under review by the team. Thanks. 

Thanks @BullDozzer! Appreciate the extra attention you've put into testing this. I'd abandoned long throws altogether as wrongly assumed my big centre backs would just stay back regardless.

At least I can now tell them to 'go forward' and it gets them in the box! Some form of workaround until the more specific instructions are sorted.