• AI squads with two first choice goalkeepers

tezcatlipoca665
    • Public Status: Known Issue Save Game: Unemployed (3 Seasons).fm Files Uploaded: Save Game

I'm simming through seasons to see what a potential long-term journeyman save would look like, but the manager AI with regards to squad building has been pretty bad just three seasons in (definitely not much better than it was FM23). I've posted my findings in another thread, but I've come across this issue just now.

Chelsea have two first choice goalkeepers, but are only using one. Uğurcan Çakır played 35 games in the last season as soon as he joined, and Kepa hasn't played one game since Çakır was signed. Kepa's definitely the backup and has been for a whole season, with no change to his squad status.

Brentford's another weird case. Two first choice goalkeepers, and for one whole season, they had a 17 year old as their first choice goalkeeper too. I'll attach images of that and try my best to explain it in a reply post here. I've uploaded the save game too, if that helps.

first choice keeper 1.png

first choice keeper 2.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Another example of two first choice keepers.

Don't worry anymore about that 17 year old newgen thing I mentioned in the post above. It turns out it happened because Matheus and Flekken both got damaged cruciate ligaments together (seriously) and were out for 6 and 7 months, so Brentford had to use a 17 year old newgen for the season, lol.

brentford keeper 1.png

brentford keeper 2.png

Edited by tezcatlipoca665

One thing to note is that Brentford and Chelsea have something in common - two goalkeepers that were loaned out at the beginning of the game (Kepa to Real Madrid; David Raya to Arsenal). Not sure if that helps.