• Goalkeeper with "Cup Goalkeeper" playing time unhappy despite playing all possible cup games

brod_104

I have encountered a possible bug in relation to player happiness around playing time.

I have a save with 1860 München, who I have taken from 3. Liga to the Bundesliga and even the Champions League. My first-choice goalkeeper as we were promoted through the leagues was Marco Hiller, but for my first season in the Champions League in 2026/27, I signed a new goalkeeper (Dennis Seimen) to be first choice. Before the season started, I therefore changed Hiller's agreed playing time to "Cup Goalkeeper". In this particular season, our team actually made it all the way to the German Cup Final, and I played Hiller in every round, with the exception of the Semi-Final, for which he was injured. 

The schedule saw the First, Second and Third Rounds all played before Christmas. In January 2027, just days before the Quarter-Final in February, Hiller complained about not getting enough game time. I selected a promise to play him in the Cup games, which he accepted (and I thought would be an easy promise to meet, given that's what I was already doing). However, despite playing all subsequent German Cup games that he was available for (plus the Champions League Round of 16 ties), he's still unhappy and the promise says "Was expecting to be playing in more cup games by now", suggesting I am currently on course to fail this promise. His playing time pathway also suggests that he has been an "Emergency Backup".

I feel this is a bug because the player has been allocated Cup Goalkeeper playing time, and has played in every domestic cup tie his has been available for, but actual playing time has been downgraded to Emergency Backup. I don't know if there is an expectation built into the game that a "Cup Goalkeeper" should play a fixed minimum number of games, but it feels like I'm potentially going to break this promise purely because the German Cup only has 6 rounds, and he's expecting to play, for example, at least 10 games.

Unfortunately, due to the timescales involved I'm unable to provide files to allow a full replication of the issue (as I typically run a 3-file weekly autosave, and I changed the playing time before the season started in summer 2026, the promise was made in January 2027, and my save has now reached summer 2027). 

However, I have provided a Word Document containing screenshots showing current status of the promise made to the player, the team sheets for each domestic cup game throughout the season showing he started all but one domestic cup tie, plus his injury history showing he was injured for the one he missed.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Hello @brod_104

I have looked into your save file.

Basically what has happened is you listed Marco Hiller as the 'Cup Keeper' which would mean Hiller would be expecting to play the DFB-Pokal & Champions League games but you only played him in the DFB-Pokal and two champions league games (Cup GK means ''all cup games''), that is why the player is upset.

If you only intended to play Hiller in the DFB-Pokal you should have selected 'Domestic Cup Keeper' instead.

I hope this was helpful. 

On 31/01/2024 at 14:58, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello @brod_104

I have looked into your save file.

Basically what has happened is you listed Marco Hiller as the 'Cup Keeper' which would mean Hiller would be expecting to play the DFB-Pokal & Champions League games but you only played him in the DFB-Pokal and two champions league games (Cup GK means ''all cup games''), that is why the player is upset.

If you only intended to play Hiller in the DFB-Pokal you should have selected 'Domestic Cup Keeper' instead.

I hope this was helpful. 

Ah thank you, I must have overlooked that when making the change.