• Wingbacks don't attack well opponent box

Ermes Messaggero Nerazzurro
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Having often played the 352 with Inter for years, I realized that it is impossible to get the WB or CWB to attack the far post when a cross arrives from the opposite side.
    This is a big flaw for this module played with a positive or offensive mentality and makes the 352 look antiquated.

r198460719304_tml3365830375169_502172767445_1651141714232515.png.39729ca2f20158438e6260edf824a438.png

Not being able to have 3-4 players inside the box when the cross arrives is a shame for this formation.

I attach here the 2 tactical topics that explain the point perfectly and then a real photo by Associazione Analisti Italiani.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Zachary Whyte 

HI!!! Thanks for the reply Zachary!

He's in every match... for years, not just on FM24.
    This is precisely an antiquated tactical conception of this role. As explained in the 2 linked topics.
    I'll send you a screenshot...but as soon as I can I'll save you a PKM file :)

For any doubts I remain available.

Screenshot_1.png

Il 13/11/2023 in 16:28 , Zachary Whyte ha scritto:

Hello, can we please get a PKM file from a match where you have noticed this, along with some timestamps.

Here I am, I have uploaded the pkm file.

The two wingbacks (WB and CWB) are both set AT and the team mentality is OFFENSIVE. The tempo is medium-low and the structure is fluid.
    Both players have player traits: go forward often, enter the opponent's area, play on the edge of offside. Precisely to force them to be as offensive as possible.
    They also have good off the ball, great quickness, stamina, workrate and good intuition.
    During the first half I also tried to lower the attack width by 2 steps, even though this shouldn't be the case. Inter's wingbacks in real life stand very wide...yet they attack the far post, as can be seen from the real matches I linked below.

In my FM24 game:

Min 6.00 Carlos Augusto doesn't go up on the opposite side.

Min 8.50 Carlos Augusto does not follow the action, he walks to the opposite side.

Min 9.00 Carlos Augusto arrives too late in the area.

Min 13.00 Bellanova is late when Carlo Augusto goes to cross. If he had done so, there would only have been Haaland in the area. It's paradoxical that Bellanova only started running AFTER Carlos Augusto LOST the ball.

15.55 Emblematic. Bellanova runs and goes for the cross, but Carlos Augusto advances walking the other way. He will never be able to reach the area at the far post.
    It's a shame, he really had a lot of space in front... with a long cross he could have volleyed or headed the ball.

19.25 Carlos Augusto does not throw himself into the area.

20.50 Carlos Augusto does not throw himself into the area.

25.55 Carlos Augusto does not follow the action, moves slowly and does not reach the area.

27.14 Same thing as 1 minute earlier

40.00 Bellanova enters the area, but only because the game restarted from a throw-in and he was already positioned forward. However, the movement he makes is not totally satisfactory because he walks close to the opponent instead of attacking the far post.

41.50 Bellanova runs with the ball and Carlos Augusto goes up lazily instead of increasing the run.

48.25 Bellanova runs and crosses, there are only 2 attackers in the area. Carlos Augusto stands behind and walks.

Since min 48.30 I have changed a lot.
    I went back to my usual DWs on the sides, set the maximum width, lowered the mentality by 1 and activated hold positions on transitions.                                                                                                                                                          Yet you will see that the DWs often accompany the action and enter the opponent's area.
    (Obviously this role is NOT the right one, because the DWs don't descend like the WBs in defence, they press too much, they can't adopt narrow marking and are less wide in attack...)

50.50 Carlos Augusto follows the action and enters the area.

58.50 Carlos Augusto follows the action and enters the area.

62.55 Cross from Augusto and there are 4 players in the area. This should also happen with WB (if the team has an offensive mentality), but it only happens with DW, W and WM.

64.15 Carlos Augusto attacks the post perfectly as soon as he sees that Bellanova pushes to the right.

Remember that if your scout team needs to talk or have doubts about this role I am available. I'm used to doing tactical analyzes on Inter in real life.

But they can understand everything by seeing the highlights of the 3 linked Inter-Roma matches here below.

Inter - Salernitana.pkm

Edited by Ermes Messaggero Nerazzurro

Il 15/11/2023 in 14:42 , Zachary Whyte ha scritto:

Thank you for the very detailed information, timestamps and PKM.

We will review this further. 

Will possible updates on this topic be reported here by you? :)

In the meantime, the discussion is also going on in depth in another previous topic. Perhaps this can be useful to developers.

7 hours ago, Ermes Messaggero Nerazzurro said:

@Zachary Whyte I found a great article about pro training the 352 and wingbacks.
    I hope it can be useful to developers. We dream of a day when these actions will be possible on FM24! With a BBM and a Wingback attacking the box like this. Which now never happens.

https://elitesoccercoaching.net/attacking/attacking-phases-incorporating-wing-backs

They should code this behaviour to the CWB(a) would make more sense, let WB(a) as it is a more traditional crosser and byline player and have CWB to attack the box much more and attack the far post from crosses and be a more striker from WB strata, this would be best of both worlds so we can choose which to use.

1 ora fa, avenger22 ha scritto:

They should code this behaviour to the CWB(a) would make more sense, let WB(a) as it is a more traditional crosser and byline player and have CWB to attack the box much more and attack the far post from crosses and be a more striker from WB strata, this would be best of both worlds so we can choose which to use.

That's right, that's an option!
    There are various solutions to fix this.
    What you said or add a new preferred move/trait, create a new indication in team tactics about how many players attack the area, etc etc...
    The important thing is that FM personnel understand the problem and that their scouts do a minimum analysis of modern 352s or similar to understand that they don't work like they did 15 years ago.
    The 433 evolved with Guardiola and in the meantime other modules also evolved!

38 minutes ago, Andrew Marines said:

Any update?

All we can do is wait for the next big ME update if there will be this iteration but most likely i think it will be revised in FM25 especially since the huge overhaul but who knows.