• [ME24.2.0] High Pressing on Away Games is Poor

Passion4FM

I don't know if this is an issue that is related to how teams approach Away games on FM24 - if they automatically becomes more defensive and cautious but regardless of the pressing intensity, defensive line or line of engagement I'm not able to press high despite adding Opposition instructions and asking my players to mark tighter.

As this screenshot shows, the players sits back in what I would call a mid-high block when the opposition is playing out of defence.

The team instructions are: High Press, Higher defensive line and Much More often Trigger Press.

At that same moment the opposition has 96% passing accuracy in defence - my OPPDA is 5.16

Especially away it seems the team and especially the central midfielders and inside forwards moves deeper than home. i can't properly say it's a fact ... however, the result is that I struggle to remain or regain possession further forward away than home. It often ends with the opposition cleanly playing out from the back, moving it to the flank, running down the wing and getting in a cross or making some beautiful passing combinations that results in a goal or a huge chance.. Fullbacks seems to have a hard task of intercepting passes or force the opposition to his weakest foot or tackle him to avoid those forward carries...

I would love to be able to force the opponents to as few passing options as possible but the positioning of IF-A is poor in order to press and shut off passing options.. see video. I have asked the AMR to Mark tighter but he sits in the whole rather than to stay at the DL and then close down DCL when he receives it - according to OI.

Added a last video to show how the players often is one step behind play - could argue that Trigger Press Much more is the reason why, as I normally only use Trigger Press. But AI teams seems to manage to press high effectively (Ajax Style)... despite only happening one or two times a game

bilde.thumb.png.066d529935f7d2d6d1e694c941f2388a.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Second this, probably along with a lot of other people.

I try to do the same with varying success, such as getting my striker and AMC to press high/ tight mark the centre backs and force them to play down their weak flank, but instead of my AMC sitting tight and pressing high on the CB he will just stand on top of one of their defensive midfielders and not press, even though I am explicitly telling him to do something else.

Players who should be cutting first passing option stand too far apart but otherwise the pressure doesn't look that bad. But attacking team passing would make Barca jealous.

There are a few threads covering essentially the same issues and SI have barely responded to any of them.

Since it's been brought up I can’t not notice it when playing the game now and it's doing my head in. If you’re away from home and the opposition team is playing 3 in the back you can just wave goodbye to high pressing and possession football because it just seems impossible. I have a theory that even on a neutral ground, such as a cup game if it shows you as the “away” team you seem to have a disadvantage.  

On 12/02/2024 at 10:04, gunnersguy said:

There are a few threads covering essentially the same issues and SI have barely responded to any of them.

Since it's been brought up I can’t not notice it when playing the game now and it's doing my head in. If you’re away from home and the opposition team is playing 3 in the back you can just wave goodbye to high pressing and possession football because it just seems impossible. I have a theory that even on a neutral ground, such as a cup game if it shows you as the “away” team you seem to have a disadvantage.  

I already know that if I play the second leg away, it's game over (90% of the occasions, to not say 100%). Yesterday, won 4-0 against PSG to lose 5-0 away. I was not expected to win 4-0 at home but knew my fate a soon as I saw the 4-0.