• Regional divisions assignments

scythian12

So I want to create a simple North / South split between two Sub-Divisions, and let the game assign teams on their geographical position, with a city in the north and the south as centre points for these divisions respectively.

image.png.c71ce40c697336cc5d82e44f5768e251.png

Also underneath advanced comp rules --> Child Competition / regional rules --> General there are these options

image.png.77b602b56396a76a27a49114f55f67d0.png

Where the first three does nothing towards what I want and the randomize really randomizes all, which is not the intention either, but it has this little textlet which does have one key sentence in it - not biasing the decision on the team's previous division. This sheds some light on the workings of the regional distribution.

image.png.316bf83e07d5cc3dcd9455d83c39b873.png

Because - to my testing results, the game does not purely take the geographical position of the club into account, but would really really really like to keep clubs in the previous year's division.

Which can lead to group assignment results like this:

image.thumb.png.b9926a19b392b9821aea3d405955f9d5.png

Where there are 4 more southerly teams than Berburg and 2 more than Junglinster being assigned to the northern division, but Berburg and Junglinster remain in the south as they were there the year before.

image.thumb.png.b43ee2e29a24c9413cb36aa9558532c6.png

Which then evidently leaves holes in the Northern division, which the game then fills with random relegated or promoted teams which should go to the south (in this case Munsbach and Kanach, 3rd and one before last on this sorted list). Truly random, as these are not even amongst the Northernmost teams in the promotion / relegation pool...

Which of course exacerbates the issue even further, when in the next year they will be considered "belonging" to the North because they were stupidly put there the year before...

So how does one completely eliminate previous year's sorting bias and at the same time use the geographic sorting? Teams that are on the edge would have to occasionally move division in this system depending on the promotions/relegations.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

scythian12

Posted (edited)

Cheers; maybe some further info: the division 1 has its centres set up so that they are within the country, division 2 has them put far far away so to "stretch the cords", really put some weight on the allocation of the clubs. In the latter case it can be clearly seen under "Regional division calculation" that this works, and that the score the clubs get assigned to wonderfully match their latitude - but you still end up with the previous year's division in the "Scoring" bit, if they were on this level. The numbers for division 1, with the group centre cities within Luxembourg produce a less clear-cut picture where the numbers jump back and forth for which I have no real explanation - although on the large scale they do seem to roughly follow the latitude.

However, it seems clear that the only task for here would be to include an option for regional sorting which would just take the results of the "Regional division calculation" without anything applied to it in a second step.

Also it baffles me why there are two entries under the "calculation" bit, maybe have to do with two different sub-divisions? (So would be three for three subs?)

Edited by scythian12